Swap my 320 for a 372?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Swap my 320 for a 372?

JohnDoe77
Paneristi
JohnDoe77
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 12:14 am #1

Hi fellow Risti's,

Before we get to my dilemma, let me tell you this; I bought my first Panerai 2 months ago; Pam 320. I really like it a lot, it is a special watch!

After buying it, i started visiting the P.com forum daily and soon I ordered my first strap, the "assulomente" (which is still on order). Being on the site so often, I get to see the 372 and all of your enthusiastic stories and it kind of made me reconsider my 320. I have no 'hands on' experience with the 372, but it looks great on pictures. My 320 is now 2 months old and maybe I could get a good deal to swap it with some cash to get a 372?

What do you guys think; I now love my 320, but will I feel more at ease with a 372 instead of the 320, or is this a Pam-bug that when I do the switch, I will start to wanting for another model? I want the right watch, but I don't want to get carried away....

Hope to get your views on this matter and how good a deal could I expect; big drop of the list price I payd for the 320 when buying a 372 after just two months?

John Doe

Kolz
Paneristi
Kolz
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 12:34 am #2

It seems that the 372 is gonna be an I going model, I would keep the 320 if I were you and pick up the 372 later on.
They are 2 very different watches, you may regret selling the 320 after owning the 372.

11years
Paneristi
11years
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 12:36 am #3

Hi fellow Risti's,

Before we get to my dilemma, let me tell you this; I bought my first Panerai 2 months ago; Pam 320. I really like it a lot, it is a special watch!

After buying it, i started visiting the P.com forum daily and soon I ordered my first strap, the "assulomente" (which is still on order). Being on the site so often, I get to see the 372 and all of your enthusiastic stories and it kind of made me reconsider my 320. I have no 'hands on' experience with the 372, but it looks great on pictures. My 320 is now 2 months old and maybe I could get a good deal to swap it with some cash to get a 372?

What do you guys think; I now love my 320, but will I feel more at ease with a 372 instead of the 320, or is this a Pam-bug that when I do the switch, I will start to wanting for another model? I want the right watch, but I don't want to get carried away....

Hope to get your views on this matter and how good a deal could I expect; big drop of the list price I payd for the 320 when buying a 372 after just two months?

John Doe
My quick answer is , of course you should get a 372....but,

In your case I would recommend you chill out for a while. 2 months isnt even enough time to make it your own. You dont seem like the flipper type, you seem like you want a watch to enjoy. This is why I recommend you keep what you have for a while, YOU obviously really liked it. Buying a 372 sight unseen, just because others like it, is not a great reason IMO, and will only result in you losing money on your 320.
Keep what you have, wear the heck out of it, experiment with straps, enjoy it, then decide if you want to move on or add to your collection.
Too much thinking about the next watch might cloud your enjoyment of the one you have.

000 "I"
002 "C"

LUCCHAO
Paneristi
LUCCHAO
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 12:49 am #4

perfectly put!

toulouse2
Paneristi
toulouse2
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 12:58 am #5

Hi fellow Risti's,

John Doe
Seriously, this is why a lot of Paneristis have more than one. I too, would wait and and enjoy the 320. Unless you feel like the 320 isn't for you, then swapping it to fund the next one is understandable. But if you love the 320, then I would enjoy it and save up. You could always sell off the 320 after you get the 372 if you find it's getting zero wrist time.

kamingbb
Paneristi
kamingbb
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 1:01 am #6

Hi fellow Risti's,

John Doe
So I strongly recommend you keep the 320, because there are number of function that 372 does not have, such as the automatic winding movement, GMT and seconds reset. As Michael said, you may regret after you sold the 320!

Kelvin

fullcourt1
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 1:01 am #7

Hi fellow Risti's,

John Doe
was lucky enuf to get a 372. love both of them and now i'm on the prowl for something else....it is an illness

dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

utah320
Paneristi
utah320
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 1:05 am #8

Hi fellow Risti's,

John Doe
I got my Pam 320 on november 3rd,2011,now i owned 3 pams(367,390),here,they are bias towards base,i love a 372 too,but 320 is a totally different Pam .I'm from Singapore,and most of the countries i visit are no more than 10 hrs time difference,forward or backward,the Gmt is useful,mine is a N SERIES,dial is like greyish,not black,beautiful watch,take it as it comes,with Pam offering so many models,what's next mate?

gfriedell
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 1:13 am #9

Hi fellow Risti's,

John Doe
The 372 is a spectacular watch, but the 320 is one of the most versatile watches Panerai makes. Very wearable, very useful GMT feature, in-house movement.

You will pay too big a price to sell or trade your 320 for a 372.

I think the 372 is one of the nicest Panerai has made in many years, but I think you're getting caught up in the hype. With at least 3500 production they will be available. Wait and buy it when you can afford a second watch. Even if you have to pay a premium it probably wouldn't be that much more than what you would lose in trading now, plus you'll end up with 2 watches not one

jacksonian71
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 1:23 am #10

Hi fellow Risti's,

John Doe
Money wise, practical wise, keep the 320. But if you have the fever for the 372, then I say you might as well get it. I personally never use a GMT, heck I rarely look at my watch for the time. You'd lose a fair chunk on the deal, so that's something to consider though.

TokyoSkier
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 2:01 am #11

Hi fellow Risti's,

John Doe
I hope to get the heavier brother of the 320 (the 329) at the end of this month and was impressed to see the love for the 320 here. I tend to agree with everyone, too. I am mesmerized by the 320 because it is great looking, goes with everything, and has the functionality I love in a watch. I would find it hard to give up any watch after 2 months - especially after having done my homework and knowing I had found "the one"! Like the others say, the 372 will always be around to purchase at a later date.

My two yen.

rumnyc
Paneristi
rumnyc
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 3:19 am #12

Hi fellow Risti's,

John Doe
I bought my first panerai exactly a year ago...A 359 which is a cousin of the 320 with both being based on the p9000 movement.

I did a lot of research and it was the perfect watch for me at the time.

It is easy to get caught up in the hype. Right now every other post is about 390 or 372 which are both nice watches but atleast with the 372, its a regular production and there seems to be plenty to go around (my dealer assured me there will be plenty to go around for anyone who wants one).

I kept my 359 for a year before selling it. You will take the same about to depreciation on a 2 month old watch as a one year old watch imho so why don't you enjoy it for a while. I finally sold my 359 after I got my 3rd Panerai (yes its an addiction). The I could justify keeping all three so sold the 359 but I still miss it.

This forum will always be obsessed with some model or another if you are always chasing the dream you will never be happy.

Currently I own a 412 and 368. Neither get hardly a mention but to me they are two of the ultimate pieces and I wouldn't trade a 390 or a 372 for either of them

bgriggs32
Paneristi
bgriggs32
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 7:14 am #13

Money wise, practical wise, keep the 320. But if you have the fever for the 372, then I say you might as well get it. I personally never use a GMT, heck I rarely look at my watch for the time. You'd lose a fair chunk on the deal, so that's something to consider though.

I agree with Brent. Also, the 372 is magical. nt

bgriggs32
Paneristi
bgriggs32
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 7:29 am #14

I bought my first panerai exactly a year ago...A 359 which is a cousin of the 320 with both being based on the p9000 movement.

I did a lot of research and it was the perfect watch for me at the time.

It is easy to get caught up in the hype. Right now every other post is about 390 or 372 which are both nice watches but atleast with the 372, its a regular production and there seems to be plenty to go around (my dealer assured me there will be plenty to go around for anyone who wants one).

I kept my 359 for a year before selling it. You will take the same about to depreciation on a 2 month old watch as a one year old watch imho so why don't you enjoy it for a while. I finally sold my 359 after I got my 3rd Panerai (yes its an addiction). The I could justify keeping all three so sold the 359 but I still miss it.

This forum will always be obsessed with some model or another if you are always chasing the dream you will never be happy.

Currently I own a 412 and 368. Neither get hardly a mention but to me they are two of the ultimate pieces and I wouldn't trade a 390 or a 372 for either of them
Most here seem to think it will remain in its current form for a while, but that is definitely not guaranteed. The closer we get to the end of the 3,500 models being sold, these will quickly become a priority to those who waited. Then you know what happens. Supply and demand. The 372 can be had now easily at retail price and is available. Also, purchasing from a boutique, out of your State, will save you sales tax. Being that no one is discounting this watch, this is like getting a 5-7% price break. This watch is very special and well worth its current retail. Don't forget the 372 has a independently adjustable hour hand as well, which makes changing timezones simple. In my opinion, the 372 is in another league than the 320 and most other current Panerai's. Either way, you have a very nice watch currently and are now addicted. Good luck my friend.

Winsford
Paneristi
Winsford
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 8:04 am #15

Hi fellow Risti's,

John Doe
The is always going to be another piece you want! It's the addiction, I've come to realise this which is why I've had 7 watches in the last 3 years. A get a new watch and I'm satisfied then I'm looking for the next piece. I often loose a little money each time I change. I probs could have bought at least a zero with all the cash I've lost on the deals.

But the thing is, the 372 is what people have been waiting for for a while base dial, vintage style case, plexiglas, in house movement it's all there! The hype will continue for some time however the SIHH 2012 pieces will be coming in a couple of months then the forum will be buzzing with those, the 372 will still be special for people but the forum will be buzzing about something new and you will probs be wanting these too, I know I will.

I figure you have some options here.

1) The 320 it's real nice, auto, GMT, 1950 case, it's a handsome piece that's good to love with and easy to change straps (I had a 312 and I regret letting it go) you could just keep this save for a 372 as it's regular production you will be able to get one. This way you have both

2) You could flip the 320 loose some cash and buy a 372 possible love it, probably miss your 320 even if you do love the 372!

3) keep the 320 and take the extra cash you would use the pay for a 372 and purchase another pam a 000, 380 or add just a little and get a 390 or sp,etching like that.

My 2 cents anyways

WINSFORD

Winsford
Paneristi
Winsford
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 8:26 am #16

The lug widths are different, so and straps you have for the 320 wouldn't fit the 372

WINSFORD

Yosig
Paneristi
Yosig
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 10:04 am #17

Hi fellow Risti's,

John Doe
I did the same mistake one year ago i bought my first Panerai a rose gold 336
then got in to P.com and started following the guys and I got in to the base hype
so i sold my 336 to fund a 000 and a005 plus got on the list for a 386 (witch most likely will never arrive)
and went all the way to Israel to get a conformation that i will get a 382 ( '' '' '' '' '' '' )
all this in the first 3months of me getting to know PANERAI

THAT IS WHAT THIS FORUM DOOS TO YOU

I jump'd and i really regret selling my 336

So my advice is keep the 320 and save up for the next
by the time you're ready there might be something better then the 372

PS: whatever you do with a PAM you're in good hands

GOOD LUCK

ajbell
New User
ajbell
New User

March 2nd, 2012, 12:49 pm #18

The is always going to be another piece you want! It's the addiction, I've come to realise this which is why I've had 7 watches in the last 3 years. A get a new watch and I'm satisfied then I'm looking for the next piece. I often loose a little money each time I change. I probs could have bought at least a zero with all the cash I've lost on the deals.

But the thing is, the 372 is what people have been waiting for for a while base dial, vintage style case, plexiglas, in house movement it's all there! The hype will continue for some time however the SIHH 2012 pieces will be coming in a couple of months then the forum will be buzzing with those, the 372 will still be special for people but the forum will be buzzing about something new and you will probs be wanting these too, I know I will.

I figure you have some options here.

1) The 320 it's real nice, auto, GMT, 1950 case, it's a handsome piece that's good to love with and easy to change straps (I had a 312 and I regret letting it go) you could just keep this save for a 372 as it's regular production you will be able to get one. This way you have both

2) You could flip the 320 loose some cash and buy a 372 possible love it, probably miss your 320 even if you do love the 372!

3) keep the 320 and take the extra cash you would use the pay for a 372 and purchase another pam a 000, 380 or add just a little and get a 390 or sp,etching like that.

My 2 cents anyways

WINSFORD
Not wanting to get wrapped up in PAM 372 secondary market hype, but please can anyone advise what the UK RRP for the 372 is - to provide a price benchmark.
Thanks

Silwane
Paneristi
Silwane
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 2:00 pm #19

I did the same mistake one year ago i bought my first Panerai a rose gold 336
then got in to P.com and started following the guys and I got in to the base hype
so i sold my 336 to fund a 000 and a005 plus got on the list for a 386 (witch most likely will never arrive)
and went all the way to Israel to get a conformation that i will get a 382 ( '' '' '' '' '' '' )
all this in the first 3months of me getting to know PANERAI

THAT IS WHAT THIS FORUM DOOS TO YOU

I jump'd and i really regret selling my 336

So my advice is keep the 320 and save up for the next
by the time you're ready there might be something better then the 372

PS: whatever you do with a PAM you're in good hands

GOOD LUCK
If you are new to Panerai as you have stated and not a follower of the history and tradition of the brand, the 372 may not be for you. A simple reason, Plexiglass crystal. I have a 372 and it has not left my wrist for the month I have owned it. I have been a Panerai enthusiast since 2001 and understand the reason for plexi on the 372. Do I like it? Simply NO. The 372 is beautiful and historically accurate and with that comes the Plexi. Don't get me wrong I love the 372 I suppose I'm a bit hypocritical in that I want the historical accuracy but with modern technology protecting it...I would have been ok with them fudging on the accuracy in this department.....Lol.

If you have never had plexi on a watch and have not handled a 372 in the flesh, it will be a big surprise. Plexi is very soft and the first time you use your shirt or pants leg to rub a smudge off the crystal it will have fine hairline scratches all over it. They are easy to polish away with toothpaste and it will look like new, just a bit of a hassle and takes some getting used to.

I know I will get flamed for hating on plexi but I understand the reasons for its use in some of the modern Panerais and I know for some here plexi is a thing of beauty and I respect that. It's just not for my taste. I find I am constantly aware and overly protective of the 372. Bumps and such that would have no effect on a sapphire crystal will do noticeable aesthetic damage to plexi. Of course toothpaste will fix them up but like I said it can be a hassle.

I say keep the 320. Handle a 372 and if you still love it save and get one later and you will have two very different and very beautiful Pam's in your collection.

rumnyc
Paneristi
rumnyc
Paneristi

March 2nd, 2012, 3:28 pm #20

Most here seem to think it will remain in its current form for a while, but that is definitely not guaranteed. The closer we get to the end of the 3,500 models being sold, these will quickly become a priority to those who waited. Then you know what happens. Supply and demand. The 372 can be had now easily at retail price and is available. Also, purchasing from a boutique, out of your State, will save you sales tax. Being that no one is discounting this watch, this is like getting a 5-7% price break. This watch is very special and well worth its current retail. Don't forget the 372 has a independently adjustable hour hand as well, which makes changing timezones simple. In my opinion, the 372 is in another league than the 320 and most other current Panerai's. Either way, you have a very nice watch currently and are now addicted. Good luck my friend.
It has everything p3000 has including the quick hour change. It's also three day and to top it off it's automatic and has gmt.