Someone talk me off this ledge...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Someone talk me off this ledge...

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 1:55 am #1

So the fact is, since I got my 372 I simply haven't worn any of my other Panerais. Sure, I put the 249 on for a day, I wore the 360 for about a week recently, but honestly nothing gets even a hint of wrist time any more.

At first when this was happening I sort of thought "Meh, honeymoon, I'll go back to my other watches soon.."

That was 9 months ago. The longest I've ever honeymooned with a watch is maybe 3 months.

So now days I find myself thinking more and more about... you know... well... sorta... selling all the other stuff... you know....

I'd never sell the 360 of course (unless dire emergency, illness or other disaster left no choice of course)... And the 112 I sorta need to keep for business purposes... but the 249, 232, 292j.... I mean I LOVE these watches, but if I sold them it would really invigorate my watch fund... on the other hand, I don't see anything out there that interests me even vaguely, except a 203 of course but there's just no way I can afford that.

So what'cha think? Am I nuts to let these go? Or is it time to shake things up? If I let them go, what would I get instead????

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

shafikzaman
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 2:21 am #2

to shake things up : )

gfriedell
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 2:23 am #3

So the fact is, since I got my 372 I simply haven't worn any of my other Panerais. Sure, I put the 249 on for a day, I wore the 360 for about a week recently, but honestly nothing gets even a hint of wrist time any more.

At first when this was happening I sort of thought "Meh, honeymoon, I'll go back to my other watches soon.."

That was 9 months ago. The longest I've ever honeymooned with a watch is maybe 3 months.

So now days I find myself thinking more and more about... you know... well... sorta... selling all the other stuff... you know....

I'd never sell the 360 of course (unless dire emergency, illness or other disaster left no choice of course)... And the 112 I sorta need to keep for business purposes... but the 249, 232, 292j.... I mean I LOVE these watches, but if I sold them it would really invigorate my watch fund... on the other hand, I don't see anything out there that interests me even vaguely, except a 203 of course but there's just no way I can afford that.

So what'cha think? Am I nuts to let these go? Or is it time to shake things up? If I let them go, what would I get instead????

I would sell 292. 249, 232 in that order. It would be hard for me to see you without at least one Rad, and my bias is toward the 232.

As far as what to get in place of the 2 rads,,,hmmm,,,,how about a bad ass Seiko Monster Diver??

"But sometimes when you bring the thunder, you get lost in the storm." K.P.

SachinG
Paneristi
SachinG
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 2:24 am #4

Well if this is the direction you are heading I would sell the 292j and 232. Keep the 249 such a unique watch!!!

The 232 is a beauty but honestly the 372 creams it.... Besides wait about 2 years and you will see a 47 mm rad brown dial in house p3000!

Good luck .... 372 is the best .... I wear it a lot as do I the 390....

372 = panerai ... Enough said!!!

Ps you have great watches!!

Sachin

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 2:32 am #5

especially the 249 and the 292. You were always the Radiomir guy to me. Idk I can't really say, I mean if you're not wearing them I see that it makes sense to just sell them and free up some funds, but it doesn't sound like you want anything else, so why not keep them until you do? Idk man you're gonna have to make this decision on your own, but ill leave you with a personal experience that took place recently....

So I saw a WTB ad for a complete 232 on the CM. I never wear mine, I've literally worn it maybe 25-30 times in the past 3 years. However I love the way it looks and it looks good in my base collection. I hadn't even looked at it in a couple months so I responded to the guy and asked him if he'd found a 232 yet and he said a couple but none he was 100% happy with either too worn or incomplete or high price. I told him mine was complete and great condition and he was interested but wanted pics obviously. So I went home and took it out and started to photograph it and i was feeling a bit hesitent after I was done I looked at the photos and realized I couldn't sell it....I called him the next day and told him and he was bummed at first but understood. Anyway that was my experience being in a similar place as you.

Good luck

shafikzaman
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 2:33 am #6

Didn't intend to 'push' you off the ledge.
Just to share with you as I was in a similar dilemma a couple of months back.
Got the 372 early this year and the Bronzo followed.
Made the difficult decision to part with my 127 and 249 - and it was surprisingly liberating!
Have since obtained the 384 and feel the collection is now quite well rounded with some spare.
In your case, with the 372 and 360, I'd say it's still a very self-contained (and enviable) collection with some room for selective expansion with funds from the sale.
So, in a nutshell - I'd say go for it - shake things up a little : )
Just my $0.02

kowid
Paneristi
kowid
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 2:34 am #7

I would sell the 292 and 232 to fund 399.

PAM 368, 372

lumradsub
Paneristi
lumradsub
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 2:37 am #8

I will give my opinion. I think you should keep them since you dont have anything else in mind that wish to purchase. I know the 372 is awesome, but you need to realize that you will at some point want to wear something else, after all you collect watches right? If there is something else you want, then by all means, but if not, keep them.

What do you mean by keeping the 112 for business urposes? I know you are a strapmaker but why do you need to keep 112?

Force yourself to wear the 249 next week and I bet you fall n love again....

mattie123
Paneristi
mattie123
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 2:41 am #9

I had that question asked of me when I was contemplating buying my watches. In the end, I went with biology....2 hands, 2 watches........... May not apply to you, but my wallet found that argument/decision agreeable.

jmridgway
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 2:46 am #10

Keep 1 Rad, sell 2, buy a sub - maybe 243 or 285? [nt]

cosmicmike
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 2:47 am #11

372 is getting all the love. In fact, my 390 has yet to come out of the box. If I were you I'd sell the 292 and 249 as you have IMHO one of the finest post V Rads there are in the 232. Then I'd take your spare plexi and swap out tge crystal on that 38 special to make it really special then id take those funds and get a vintage JLC Deep Sea (see Victor's beauty) -- and then hang tight for something else to come (personally I'd hunt down a white face Slytech). Can u tell I've thought about this???

It's a good problem and I thank Panerai for giving us the 372 and accompanying angst!

Keep us posted. I may follow your lead...or beat you to the punch.

Big D
360, 390, 232,372
If You Don't Go, You Can't Come Back.
RIP BBQ & Drew

PorscheAndPanerai
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 3:43 am #12

372 is it, for me..

Rest of my collection is sitting, except my occasional 162 or 360 wear...

I've been toying with getting rid of some too, but just can't seem to come to that point? Mainly my 390 or one of them (have 2)

I would keep your 249, and 292... Dump the 232

372 is king !!!!!

Martin
PAM 162, 360, 372, 380, 390x2

fullcourt1
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 4:15 am #13

i travel quite a bit and like having the date, but the 372 gets worn a few days a week and also when i have to put on the suit, either for work or special occassions. wearing it tomorrow nite as one of my friends kids is getting married.

actually thought of selling it a few days ago to buy something else, maybe something for the wife....decision, decisions....8^)

dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

coloristi
Paneristi
coloristi
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 4:43 am #14

I have to agree with the position to hold. It seems nothing is moving on the secondary market, especially the limited models. As you mentioned today in response to Gush's post, the 232 is way under rated and that will turn around at some point. 249's aren't moving because of the 424 and upcoming 448. The 372 is awesome, but if you don't need to sell now, this is a good time to squat.

Kingsholm14
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 5:10 am #15

H2Finally
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 5:10 am #16

And enjoy the liberating freedom of a fully flushed watch fund! An slc dial would be a nice new rad...

All 3 of your rads have stabilized in market value I believe. Hence replaceable should you have a future yearning for either again.

rapers
Paneristi
rapers
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 6:06 am #17

why not keep what you've got, but rotate them on a daily basis?
That way, you "refresh" your wrist on a very regular basis and, perhaps, keep the interest alive in all of them.
I rotate mine daily in PAM number order, but I'm a sad old accountant, so what do you expect?
For when the time comes, though, you've a terrific warchest.
Not much out there to interest me either - apart from the 140, the 231, the 390..............

996TTx50
Paneristi
996TTx50
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 6:22 am #18

The single biggest factor determining the direction of my collection is wrist time -- what am I wearing and not wearing, and what would I wear if I had it. If I cease to wear a piece on a regular basis, I sell it, regardless of how "collectable" it is. If I would not wear it on a regular basis, I do not buy it, regardless of how collectable it is. It is that simple. I do not buy or retain watches simply to gather dust in a safe, or to stare at in their box, or for investment purposes.  Rather, I buy watches for one, and only one, purpose: to wear them!!!

Therefore, I would sell the ones you are not wearing and buy something you will wear. This way, the ones sitting in your drawer see daylight on someone else's wrist, and are enjoyed by their new owner.

Personally, I would sell the 233 first, then the 292, and last the 249 (I regret selling my 249 more than any other watch).

Regards,

Craig LA

"There are three types of people in the world -- those who can count, and those who can't." ~Warren Buffet

mikefarha
Paneristi
mikefarha
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 7:23 am #19

I guess at some point I will sell my 112 G if I can find the right 127 or another 47mm to go with. I don't think I'll sell my IWC BP and can't get the 372 and 232 out of my system. I wear the 232 and 372 6 times a week, the BP once, right now though it's in Dallas and I haven't from them. and I would say the 232 is my favorite watch of the bunch. It's very very close and either the 232 or 372 could easily by the only watch I would wear.

Boy that would buy a lot of watch with chunk. I can honestly say, I'm on the list of the 425, but not sure about the pig. And if I found the right 127 at the right price maybe. I like the 60 mm Beast, but is that really all that practical.

This is probably the most frustrating of answers, with your array and eye for leather, I'd probably buy the 339 back as I love the dial, keep the 232, and sell both the 292 and 249 to help defray the costs of the 339 you buy and some of the 127 that would really give you the perfect 5 360, 372, 232,339, and 127.

That's my idea of sexy.................

Wayne-Foster
Paneristi

August 18th, 2012, 7:43 am #20

I think a Bronzo is calling you
Cheers
Wayne DU