So .... what makes a T-dial desirable to you?

So .... what makes a T-dial desirable to you?

tchoo
Paneristi
tchoo
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 4:42 am #1

Been thinking about this for a bit now and of course its a very complicated issue when you consider the differences / variants from the vintage to the Pre V, then Pre A right up to the A and BT series.

I've been a fan for a while and I've a couple of nice pieces. But what I notice is a strong preference which I have for a strong, yellow shade... orange is better. 201a NM is of course the "grail" LOL!

My question is, what makes a T dial desirable to you? A obviously cracked dial does not do it for me, neither does the "dirty dial" but I know fans of both.

Maybe this is as futile as arguing which is the better food, delicate tuna shashimi or a robust curry, obvious answer is both are different. But just thought I would check around

Cheers!

TC

nadavgalimidi
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 10:05 am #2

panerai4life
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 10:25 am #3

"Time flies when you are ALIVE"
Greetings from the Land of Smiles...

panerai4life
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 10:33 am #4

Been thinking about this for a bit now and of course its a very complicated issue when you consider the differences / variants from the vintage to the Pre V, then Pre A right up to the A and BT series.

I've been a fan for a while and I've a couple of nice pieces. But what I notice is a strong preference which I have for a strong, yellow shade... orange is better. 201a NM is of course the "grail" LOL!

My question is, what makes a T dial desirable to you? A obviously cracked dial does not do it for me, neither does the "dirty dial" but I know fans of both.

Maybe this is as futile as arguing which is the better food, delicate tuna shashimi or a robust curry, obvious answer is both are different. But just thought I would check around

Cheers!

TC
the T-Dial represents class, history and heritage!
201A and 202A NM are the TRUE Grails IMHO

"Time flies when you are ALIVE"
Greetings from the Land of Smiles...

rendylatief
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 5:15 pm #5

Cheers!

TC
Its tritium. Nuff said.
For me, the grail consideration depends on the rareness + the looks + and history.
and if you have a big collection of watches, a tritium PAM is a must.
le grail for me:

Hope you find the T-dial grail you've been looking for.
Cheers. :)5

Togian
Paneristi
Togian
Paneristi

February 5th, 2012, 10:10 pm #6

Cheers!

TC
Don't know why but fat indexes are hypnotizing for me.
Perhaps something authentic like this on the 205A...

Credit:?

dralhc
Paneristi
dralhc
Paneristi

February 6th, 2012, 3:45 am #7

Cheers!

TC
I know I'm going to get shot down here for such blasphemy and don't want to upset anyone but.....

while these pieces were the first Panerai available to the general public, T dials don't do anything for me. Fat numbers, NM, matching or bright orange, I just don't care. I love the history and design of vintage PAMs. I admire the functionality behind these original war time pieces.

For me a modern Panerai should be simple, tough, durable, reliable, waterproof, readable in all conditions and reflect the original design aesthetics. This is why I wear a 352 for my 'modern warfare'. (seehttp://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/t ... beware.%29 )

While I love the design of pieces like the 201a and 202a, Tritium does not play a part in this regard and this is why the 360 is such a wonderful watch.

The problems with Tritium that are odds with my list of ideal properties of a modern panerai are:
It can crack and fall of into the dial,
It loses its glow at night after 10-15 years,

Advantages
Develops lovely patina overtime.
?any others

By using modern lumiNova you can avoid the problems and still produce pieces just dripping Panerai DNA. For me no watch will ever surpass the desirability of a vintage Panerai, but pieces like the 127, 203, 249, 294 and 372 will always be more desirable than a T-dialed piece.

However I'm glad we are all different and so look forward to your flamings. (Play nicely kids.)

tchoo
Paneristi
tchoo
Paneristi

February 6th, 2012, 4:29 am #8

There is, I think, an emotional element to this T dial thing which I now believe is correct. For a long time, I didn't "get it"... then one day, I did and after that I had to have that "vintage look" on all my PAMs. Sold all my existing collection to pick up my 1A and 2A.

Again, nothing right or wrong about this preference.

But I must say that Panerai is doing a fantastic job in bringing us "T Dial" folk back into the fold if you will, the 372,390 not to mention the bunch of Rads this year... enough to get us all interested again

Cheers!

TC

Alessi156
Paneristi
Alessi156
Paneristi

February 6th, 2012, 9:04 am #9

I know I'm going to get shot down here for such blasphemy and don't want to upset anyone but.....

while these pieces were the first Panerai available to the general public, T dials don't do anything for me. Fat numbers, NM, matching or bright orange, I just don't care. I love the history and design of vintage PAMs. I admire the functionality behind these original war time pieces.

For me a modern Panerai should be simple, tough, durable, reliable, waterproof, readable in all conditions and reflect the original design aesthetics. This is why I wear a 352 for my 'modern warfare'. (seehttp://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/t ... beware.%29 )

While I love the design of pieces like the 201a and 202a, Tritium does not play a part in this regard and this is why the 360 is such a wonderful watch.

The problems with Tritium that are odds with my list of ideal properties of a modern panerai are:

Advantages
?any others

By using modern lumiNova you can avoid the problems and still produce pieces just dripping Panerai DNA. For me no watch will ever surpass the desirability of a vintage Panerai, but pieces like the 127, 203, 249, 294 and 372 will always be more desirable than a T-dialed piece.

However I'm glad we are all different and so look forward to your flamings. (Play nicely kids.)

The position with A and B series watches is different, after all the only difference between a 1b T and L dial is the luminous material used. Is the use of tritium enough to justify the vastly increased desirability/price of a 1b-T over a 1b-L? I previously use to think, definitely not ( I should add that, I started collecting vintage Rolexes before I brought my first Panerai so I appreciate vintage watches).

However, my position has began to soften. I have increasingly come to appreciate/understand why people love t-dials so much. While I am not at the stage of being willing to spend 3 times as much for the same watch, I am edging closer! As has been said, the reason is emotional. The changing and evolving characteristics of tritium gives a watch an added dimension. I am personally not a fan of Panerai's increased use of "faux" t-dials. You can't fake the character t-dials bring to a watch.

tchoo
Paneristi
tchoo
Paneristi

February 6th, 2012, 9:15 am #10

The Pre V vs the "post V" era: fully agree, a lot of differences and nuances there.

For the Pre A vs the A or BT series, I'm having exactly that consideration you mentioned ... a lovely Pre A with the scalloped numbers and if the markers are a nice shade of yellow (my pet weakness), would be most desirable to me but would I in effect be willing to trade BOTH my 1A and 2A for it? Have considered doing that, recently but so far, been able to resist

In fact I did swap my 2BL for a 2A for the dial and have had no regrets at all. The T dial makes me enjoy the watch so much more.

On faux patina: some don't really cut it, like the boutique SEs, the shade looks a bit off to me.

The 360's gets the colour SPOT ON (and big kudos to the bro here who had that input!)

Lots of love also for the 249 faux patina but the plexi could have something to do with it

Just my 10 cents worth. Great discussion!

Thanks!

TC

jwdepenning
Paneristi
jwdepenning
Paneristi

February 6th, 2012, 11:55 am #11

Cheers!

TC
Forgive my ignorance, although a long time fan, I only bought my first Panerai about 6 months ago and have been watching the forum with interest.

There is no doubt that the patina on the tritium is wonderful. I have a couple of vintage Breitling's with wonderful patina, but they certainly don't glow anymore.

The way I see it, I buy a tool watch to be used. Given that Panerai's are tool watches, if the 'Lume" has faded significantly after 15 years as mentioned it makes it rather useless as a tool watch.

Can one therefore have the dial switched out for a 'new' T-dial or have it reconditioned?

or would they merely replace it with a L - dial?

I have been thinking about adding to my collection with a PAM 193 as a back up when diving, but given the issue with the 'Lume" fading and the fact that they being 2006/7 production its already past its 'half life' I have some reservations. Would Panerai replace the T-dial for a L - dial on request should T-dials not be available? I mean, it's a rather unique face, so not sure if they would carry spares?

Thanks. Really enjoying being part of this great forum.

James.

HammerHammer
Paneristi

February 6th, 2012, 11:57 am #12

Cheers!

TC

So much MORE than just a Watch

What Watch ,, it's the M8TES behind my brand that I LOVE ,, the Watch is just the GPS

A decade on ,, I COPY it now ,, More than EVER b4 >> it's a PANERAI behind every Panerai is a PANERISTI

And dat , SIMPLY blows me away ,, U Bet....................... BBQ Drew RIP

Feel the Passion ,, Respect the DNA ,, Cheers Beers ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer

samrotandi
Paneristi

February 6th, 2012, 2:03 pm #13

Cheers!

TC
on the T-dial are different.. Even compared to the new "faux-patina" Luminova dial

I'm sure you know what I'm saying TC

The patina on each T-dial is unique to its own..

To me, color plays a very important part on the desirability

[/IMG]

Good to hear what you and everybody else's thought about this

Cheers

Sam

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

February 6th, 2012, 2:24 pm #14

Forgive my ignorance, although a long time fan, I only bought my first Panerai about 6 months ago and have been watching the forum with interest.

There is no doubt that the patina on the tritium is wonderful. I have a couple of vintage Breitling's with wonderful patina, but they certainly don't glow anymore.

The way I see it, I buy a tool watch to be used. Given that Panerai's are tool watches, if the 'Lume" has faded significantly after 15 years as mentioned it makes it rather useless as a tool watch.

Can one therefore have the dial switched out for a 'new' T-dial or have it reconditioned?

or would they merely replace it with a L - dial?

I have been thinking about adding to my collection with a PAM 193 as a back up when diving, but given the issue with the 'Lume" fading and the fact that they being 2006/7 production its already past its 'half life' I have some reservations. Would Panerai replace the T-dial for a L - dial on request should T-dials not be available? I mean, it's a rather unique face, so not sure if they would carry spares?

Thanks. Really enjoying being part of this great forum.

James.
Tritium was faded out due to occupational safety, or as the watch companies like to state "For legal, medical and environmental reasons".
The transition from tritium to SLN (Super Luminova) started in 1999 (B series) for all watches except subs, then it was implemented for the subs in 2005 (H) but still allowed on "professional tools and instruments" and therefore could still be found on the 1000+ subs until 2008 (K). Now, all tritium has been completely banned and replaced by SLN.

When servicing a watch, Panerai will replace the dial or hands only if they are defective and most certainly will replace these with SLN as tritium is no longer available; I guess this can be done anytime at your request as well. Most collectors fear this and think twice before sending their treasured 't dials' to be serviced

Hope this helps,

Cheers and best from the holyland,

~Asi~

<a href="http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h306/ ... d.jpg"></a>
Last edited by Asimut on February 6th, 2012, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tchoo
Paneristi
tchoo
Paneristi

February 6th, 2012, 2:34 pm #15

on the T-dial are different.. Even compared to the new "faux-patina" Luminova dial

I'm sure you know what I'm saying TC

The patina on each T-dial is unique to its own..

To me, color plays a very important part on the desirability

[/IMG]

Good to hear what you and everybody else's thought about this

Cheers

Sam

Hm.... both those pieces on the wrist Yellow rocks, right? hahaha

Take care bro

TC

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

February 6th, 2012, 2:39 pm #16

Advantages
?any others

Cheers and best from the holyland,

~Asi~

<a href="http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h306/ ... d.jpg"></a>

kingmillo
Paneristi
kingmillo
Paneristi

February 7th, 2012, 4:41 am #17

Cheers!

TC
as much as we hate to admit, our taste and preference is heavily influenced by the general consensus. For now, the tritium is being older pieces (historical) hence more desirable so we "prefer" it. Tritium can patina, yes, but it is again driven by accepted preference that yellow is better.

i am sure if the circumstances are in fact the reverse now, we would be prefering lumi white.

hawaiiantimer
Paneristi

February 7th, 2012, 5:50 am #18

Cheers!

TC
Fat, skinny, depth, sausage, color of patina, etc... They're all different...

As for the flaking- It doesn't seem to hurt the vintage pieces?

As collectors, rare pieces rock da house. An era never to be seen again...

<a rel="nofollow"></a>

RUpanerai
Paneristi

February 7th, 2012, 5:11 pm #19

Cheers!

TC
T-dials for me are something I never got when I first got into Panerai and it always baffled me as to why they cost so much more than their L dial counter parts...

That was until I owned one... MY GOD, there is something to be said about how each T dial is different and gives the watch a very unique characteristic that now seems "faked" by the new pieces. As much as I love the 360, the dial feels a bit imitated to me based on it trying to look like Tritium, but trying too hard with the orangish color. There really is no comparison to a True T dial and the fact that the T dials are directly linked to the first Panerais also makes it more rare, which is also good for a collection or collector. The look is really stunning against the Black dial and makes the watch dial pop, and in a PVD piece is just to die for.

After seeing the rash of new Panerais all with the "dirty" dial, I have come to appreciate my T dial piece more than ever and am quickly searching to add another while people are dumping their PreA 1s , As and Bs to buy the new pieces.

The T dial has certainly made me a believer and a lover and have quickly become my favorite of all Panerai...

Like the current and new stuff, LOVE the old stuff with a little Tritium...

RUpanerai
Paneristi

February 7th, 2012, 5:14 pm #20

Advantages
?any others

Diving is also another good example when Tritium is actually better.

T dials do have their place. =)