...so anyway....Red wine + Steel Door Handle + Fiddy =UGH!!>>>>

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

...so anyway....Red wine + Steel Door Handle + Fiddy =UGH!!>>>>

covactanks
Paneristi

March 26th, 2009, 11:51 pm #1

........Check this out

C'mon ....most of us have been there .....you're with friends....your having a good time ......but suddenly ......you let your normal (wrist) guard down for a split second and BANG!!!....You crack your watch on a table , somone else's watch , or (in my case ) a cupboard door !!.....BUT....your in company and don't want to appear a little toooooo precious about 'a watch' !....soooooo .....you pretend like it's nothing ......but all the time , you're thinking .....'UGH.....I need to look at my watch .....It's a tough machine....but it hit that steel pretty hard ....!!'

Yup !!..........In your mind your thinking ....'Ahhh...It,ll be OK' .....but the cynical side of you is saying ....."Ha ....Unlucky M8...U just took a chunk out ya machine !!"

Soooo....You just HAVE to satisfy your curiosity and go to the bathroom for a good old look !!....
Well....Here's what I saw .....
Look between the '12' and the word 'LUMINOR'

Two....not ONE !!!....TWO!!.....pretty deep scratches ......

Sooooooo....I show my mates (who have NO interest in watches) ....who say things like ...

"It's only a watch .......you can hardly see those scratches ....here ...have another beer !"

or....

"If you're that bothered ......go to that little watch repair place in the market .....I reckon they could change that glass for about £5 !"

Now .....

1/ As most of you here know .....a scratch like this is ...well.....it's like having your car 'keyed' .....it's horrible !!...Other people might not notice it ,,,,,but YOU know it's there (cos you keep digging your bloody nail in to it)

2/ Last time I dropped a Fiddy .....The crystal alone cost me an eye watering £800 !!!....

So!!.....I had three choices ......

1/ Bite the bullet and send it to OP for a new crystal
2/ Ring Harry Potter to see if he could help
3/ Ask my M8's for a bit of advice

Well.......I'm soooooooooooo glad I took option 3 ...cos ...BBQ sent me a link to a post that a fellow UK bloke did ..... Kevin D (KAD) nearly a year ago .....Well...I read it ......and to be honest ...i thought I stood more chance of Harry Potter waving his magic wand than his option work ....but Hey!....anything is worth a go when your only other alternative is doing a grand on a new crystal ...right ? !! ...

So....Here goes......

First up .......

You need to purhase two syringes of 'Diamond Paste ' (about £8 per unit !!)

I ordered a 2.5 micron unit .....

And a 0.5 micron unit for 'finishing'.....

OK ....Here goes.....

So....First tape the watch up so you don't get the paste in any 'intimate' areas (erm.......where the crystal meets the steel)...

Then...apply a little of the 2.5 Micron paste ....and rub away with a cloth ....

After about 2-3 minutes rubbing ....I could'nt believe it !!....The scratches had GONE!!!.....

But.....I followed Kev's advice .....and finished the crystal off with the purple 0.5 micron (much'finer') paste ......Just a small amount on the end of a cloth rubbed in gently

All done ....a quick rub with a polishing cloth ........

Can't believe it !!....This REALLY does work !!!.....Thankyou BBQ ....and Thanks Kev......If you're ever in Dunton Bassett .....the beers are on me M8 !! ...

The finished Job (no more than 10 minutes work).....

Thx for reading ......and....I hope this gives hope to any of you who have a tendecy to walk into doors (like me )

"I'll be the one to show you the way
You'll be the one to always complain "
Kings Of Leon

"I also realized that I don't have to own a watch to appreciate it and I came to understand that to me, watches only represent one facet of a life well lived. Plus I spend less time obsessing over what is next. I found watches not only tell time, they steal it if you let them "
Bernie Urban

Last edited by covactanks on April 28th, 2011, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hkgweilo
Paneristi
hkgweilo
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 12:03 am #2

will have to grab some of that stuff just for the day....(you know it WILL happen one days, right?)

Jpvfx
Paneristi
Jpvfx
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 12:06 am #3

........Check this out

C'mon ....most of us have been there .....you're with friends....your having a good time ......but suddenly ......you let your normal (wrist) guard down for a split second and BANG!!!....You crack your watch on a table , somone else's watch , or (in my case ) a cupboard door !!.....BUT....your in company and don't want to appear a little toooooo precious about 'a watch' !....soooooo .....you pretend like it's nothing ......but all the time , you're thinking .....'UGH.....I need to look at my watch .....It's a tough machine....but it hit that steel pretty hard ....!!'

Yup !!..........In your mind your thinking ....'Ahhh...It,ll be OK' .....but the cynical side of you is saying ....."Ha ....Unlucky M8...U just took a chunk out ya machine !!"

Soooo....You just HAVE to satisfy your curiosity and go to the bathroom for a good old look !!....

Sooooooo....I show my mates (who have NO interest in watches) ....who say things like ...

"It's only a watch .......you can hardly see those scratches ....here ...have another beer !"

or....

"If you're that bothered ......go to that little watch repair place in the market .....I reckon they could change that glass for about £5 !"

Now .....

1/ As most of you here know .....a scratch like this is ...well.....it's like having your car 'keyed' .....it's horrible !!...Other people might not notice it ,,,,,but YOU know it's there (cos you keep digging your bloody nail in to it)

2/ Last time I dropped a Fiddy .....The crystal alone cost me an eye watering £800 !!!....

Well.......I'm soooooooooooo glad I took option 3 ...cos ...BBQ sent me a link to a post that a fellow UK bloke did ..... Kevin D (KAD) nearly a year ago .....Well...I read it ......and to be honest ...i thought I stood more chance of Harry Potter waving his magic wand than his option work ....but Hey!....anything is worth a go when your only other alternative is doing a grand on a new crystal ...right ? !! ...

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

So....First tape the watch up so you don't get the paste in any 'intimate' areas (erm.......where the crystal meets the steel)...

Then...apply a little of the 2.5 Micron paste ....and rub away with a cloth ....

After about 2-3 minutes rubbing ....I could'nt believe it !!....The scratches had GONE!!!.....

But.....I followed Kev's advice .....and finished the crystal off with the purple 0.5 micron (much'finer') paste ......Just a small amount on the end of a cloth rubbed in gently

Can't believe it !!....This REALLY does work !!!.....Thankyou BBQ ....and Thanks Kev......If you're ever in Dunton Bassett .....the beers are on me M8 !! ...

Thx for reading ......and....I hope this gives hope to any of you who have a tendecy to walk into doors (like me )

Kings Of Leon

"I also realized that I don't have to own a watch to appreciate it and I came to understand that to me, watches only represent one facet of a life well lived. Plus I spend less time obsessing over what is next. I found watches not only tell time, they steal it if you let them "
Bernie Urban

pleased it worked for you Ade

tevj
Paneristi
tevj
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 12:08 am #4

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

ROCK ON MONKEY BOY!

www.timothyjohn.com.au

jmolsberg
Paneristi
jmolsberg
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 12:16 am #5

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

and looks brand spankin new to boot

jm

rbenz
Paneristi
rbenz
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 12:28 am #6

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

Good to see a happy ending in all of this. Don't let your guard down next time hehe..

porsche-964
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 12:30 am #7

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

Jeremy (aka Mr. Socko)
Northeast Florida
Hang Tough Hammer!!!

WKU2004
Paneristi
WKU2004
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 12:30 am #8

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

Gotta watch them damn door handles, they reach out and grab you every time you let your guard down

adam .313.

joost_H
Paneristi
joost_H
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 12:33 am #9

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

Did Harry bring those syringes?
Can´t believe it works THAT well

pamark
Paneristi
pamark
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 1:01 am #10

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

the compulsive, obsessive feelings we have for our watches. Thanks God you were able to salvage your crystal. You are amongst friends and we understand you. Everything turned out okay.

doc3341
Paneristi
doc3341
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 1:31 am #11

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

WOW!!! That is GREAT!!!

Do you know if that will work on mineral crystal as well? I have a Seiko beater that has a couple of scratches, and was wondering if I could use that to remove the crystal scuffs as well?

Thanks

Cheers,

Mike

PAM 183
DOXA 750T Professional GMT

scoopster
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 1:31 am #12

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

Delighted it worked out for you numpty.

Catch my racing blog -
Franckly Speaking!

JohnSim
Paneristi
JohnSim
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 1:32 am #13

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

----------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face - GT

If you can't write your name, you can't ride the bull. - JU

Paneristi
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 2:08 am #14

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

glad it worked out.
See you in Sept. in Florence.
cheers

Furrymonki
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 2:09 am #15

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

scratch proof. Is it not? Hmmm, I guess if you scratched it, then it's not scratch proof. I'd better be careful with my 233 as I thought that wouldn't be a worry.

Anyway, glad you were able to fix it and let the rest of us know how.

------------------------------------
Scott
Broadlands, VA
PAM 233
Seiko Diver 6309-7040

galeforce
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 2:31 am #16

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

good to know.

: )

Dan

jasonrenfro
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 2:55 am #17

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

in shape. I can imagine the relief.

Cheers,

Jason

k_rerkpooritat
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 2:59 am #18

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

Cheers

"PAM"...Love at the first sight
Thai Paneristi

ChuckA1
Paneristi
ChuckA1
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 3:00 am #19

........Check this out

or....

Now .....

So....Here goes......

First up .......

OK ....Here goes.....

Kings Of Leon

Bernie Urban

I am wearing a watch I just got... my 202/A. I am attending my first GTG since receiving it and I am sitting next to a new gentlemen, someone that is interested in Panerai watches but not really a Paneristi... we are all at the dinner table in Austin and we are all pretty relaxed. The room (outside patio) is dark... Did I say that I am wearing the MM... and I have my arms on the arms of my chair. He suddenly pulls his metal chair up to the table and scrapes my arm and the side of my watch. The end of the table goes quiet for a second and I immediately say nothing happened and place the watch in the travel case.

There is now a new scratch in the PVD... and... long story short... can you fix it too?! ;~)

Chuck A

Go Cowboys-
Chuck A

ChuckA1
Paneristi
ChuckA1
Paneristi

March 27th, 2009, 3:01 am #20

Go Cowboys-
Chuck A