*** SIHH 2012 paneristi.com exclusive - Live pictures of the PAM422 and PAM423

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

*** SIHH 2012 paneristi.com exclusive - Live pictures of the PAM422 and PAM423

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 7:58 pm #1

My second to last SIHH post is about two new regular production 47mm watches with similar specifications.
The 422 was announced a couple of weeks before SIHH, the 423 however was quite a surprise. I for one wasn't expecting to see a 47mm with a power reserve indicator on the dial along the lines of that of the PAM90.
Both the 422 and the 423 have a sapphire crystal. Looking at my pics I would have believed it if they told me those were plexis. Good looking watches, very suitable for daily wear - provided that you can pull off a 47mm of course

The PAM422 Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days
Case: 47mm AISI 316L polished steel
Movement: Hand-wound mechanical, Panerai P.3001 calibre, executed entirely by Panerai
Functions: hours, minutes, small seconds, power reserve indicator on the back, seconds reset
Water resistance: 100 metres
Crystal: Sapphire 3.0 mm
Back: See-through sapphire crystal

And the PAM423 Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days Power Reserve
Movement: Hand-wound mechanical, Panerai P.3002 calibre, executed entirely by Panerai
Functions: hours, minutes, seconds, power reserve indicator, seconds reset
Crystal: Crystal 3.0 mm

Both watches have the case that was first introduced last year with the PAM372. The most important visual difference between the two new ones is obviously the power reserve indicator at the 4 o'clock position on the dial of the 423.
The engraving on the sandwich dials is the same as that of the 372. And so is the color that is used for the lettering. The Luminova is ecru.

First the 422...

Next, the 423 with its power reserve indicator on the dial...

And finally a shot with both watches...

You can find the SIHH specifications here:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/t ... s+PR+47+MM+***

The first official OP photos of the watch from the SIHH press kit can be found here:
422http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/t ... YS+-+47+MM
423http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/t ... VE+-+47+MM

And just for the fun of it, a few shots of the 372...

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Last edited by wilmsenm on March 12th, 2012, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

games0n
Paneristi
games0n
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:07 pm #2

I am also curious to see the movement of the 422. Do you have any display back picture of the 422?

Thanks.

jdr2007
Paneristi
jdr2007
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:12 pm #3

My second to last SIHH post is about two new regular production 47mm watches with similar specifications.
The 422 was announced a couple of weeks before SIHH, the 423 however was quite a surprise. I for one wasn't expecting to see a 47mm with a power reserve indicator on the dial along the lines of that of the PAM90.
Both the 422 and the 423 have a sapphire crystal. Looking at my pics I would have believed it if they told me those were plexis. Good looking watches, very suitable for daily wear - provided that you can pull off a 47mm of course

Movement: Hand-wound mechanical, Panerai P.3001 calibre, executed entirely by Panerai
Functions: hours, minutes, small seconds, power reserve indicator on the back, seconds reset

Movement: Hand-wound mechanical, Panerai P.3002 calibre, executed entirely by Panerai

Both watches have the case that was first introduced last year with the PAM372. The most important visual difference between the two new ones is obviously the power reserve indicator at the 4 o'clock position on the dial of the 423.
The engraving on the sandwich dials is the same as that of the 372. And so is the color that is used for the lettering. The Luminova is ecru.

First the 422...

The first official OP photos of the watch from the SIHH press kit can be found here:

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
how to ruin a watch by putting a power reserve indicator on it - PART I.

PART II - if you really want to go the full beans - put a logo on it .........

422 - I'm feeling that all day long

CowBiker
Paneristi
CowBiker
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:15 pm #4

First the 422...

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
thanks yet again!

Sean

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:32 pm #5

I am also curious to see the movement of the 422. Do you have any display back picture of the 422?

Thanks.
not my picture but...

Should have taken pics of that too but I guess I forgot.
At least I should have mentioned that the 422 has a pr indicator on the back. Sorry about that.

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:35 pm #6

how to ruin a watch by putting a power reserve indicator on it - PART I.

PART II - if you really want to go the full beans - put a logo on it .........

422 - I'm feeling that all day long
...harsh in my opinion. Many enthusiasts, many opinions.
All fine by me but you're selling it short by saying they've ruined the watch by putting a pr indicator on the dial.
Thanks for your reply though.
Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

games0n
Paneristi
games0n
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:39 pm #7

not my picture but...

Should have taken pics of that too but I guess I forgot.
At least I should have mentioned that the 422 has a pr indicator on the back. Sorry about that.

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Yes, I have seen that display back press kit picture on the first day of SIHH, but I was hoping to see your live pictures of the display back...

No worries, Martin, thanks for the report.

covactanks
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:41 pm #8

First the 422...

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
......and If you'd told me before SIHH that OP were going to put a PR indicator on a Vintage style watch I would have probably asked you what you'd been smoking ......but .........i'm warming to it !! ......could be that slightly above average photography though

Thx for all the work you've put in to date on the SIHH machines Martin ....MUCH appreciated sir

'Last night what we talked about
It made so much sense
But now the haze has ascended
It don't make no sense anymore'

RIPBBQ
Last edited by covactanks on January 30th, 2012, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

games0n
Paneristi
games0n
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:47 pm #9

First the 422...

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
so from handling the actual watch itself, can you tell the difference between sapphire of 422/423 vs the plexi on the 372?

HarryM9
Paneristi
HarryM9
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:51 pm #10

First the 422...

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Amazing pictures. As always!

Got to say I'm really digging the 422. I'm more tempted to go for it than the 372.

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:54 pm #11

so from handling the actual watch itself, can you tell the difference between sapphire of 422/423 vs the plexi on the 372?
when I was taking the pics I was under the impression that both watches had a plexi. Later on I realized that they don't. Might be that I've been focusing too much attention on taking pictures, as opposed to paying closer attention to the watches... You have to know that OP are very cooperative, but there are constantly people waiting to see the watches. So I had more time with some models than I did with other models. These two were gone before I knew it, which is probably also why I have no case back photos.
Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

fullcourt1
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:54 pm #12

First the 422...

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
"
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

craniotes
Paneristi
craniotes
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:57 pm #13

First the 422...

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
While I'm sure that the 422 and 423 fill a niche for for many 'ristis, adding that parting shot of the 372 just reinforces the old adage, "less is more", AFAIC.

They're both great watches no doubt, but for me the 372 continues to stand alone.

Regards,
Adam

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:57 pm #14

......and If you'd told me before SIHH that OP were going to put a PR indicator on a Vintage style watch I would have probably asked you what you'd been smoking ......but .........i'm warming to it !! ......could be that slightly above average photography though

Thx for all the work you've put in to date on the SIHH machines Martin ....MUCH appreciated sir

'Last night what we talked about
It made so much sense
But now the haze has ascended
It don't make no sense anymore'

RIPBBQ
I'm warming up to it too and I haven't been smoking any funny stuff... so go figure.
The 90 was my first, that might be it. Old love doesn't rust, as they say over here

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 8:59 pm #15

"
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
it's only a pr indicator

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

NachoM
Paneristi
NachoM
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 9:03 pm #16

First the 422...

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Impressive pics Martin.
Love the straps. Did you get any information about them? Not as padded as the Assolutamente, right?

RUpanerai
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 9:09 pm #17

First the 422...

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
When I wear my 372 I have got little hairlines all across the plexi, while this doesnt bother me many times, it bothers me when I take pictures of the watch and cant get a perfect view of the dial.

422 - Love the PR on the back, LOVE it, wish the 372 had it, and the added benefit of the sapphire, is the height the same as the 372 plexi?

423 - No comment...

MarkSanders
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 9:10 pm #18

First the 422...

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Beautiful shots! They make me feel so greedy

Mooi als altijd Martin! Bedankt!

Greetings,

Mark

games0n
Paneristi
games0n
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 9:15 pm #19

when I was taking the pics I was under the impression that both watches had a plexi. Later on I realized that they don't. Might be that I've been focusing too much attention on taking pictures, as opposed to paying closer attention to the watches... You have to know that OP are very cooperative, but there are constantly people waiting to see the watches. So I had more time with some models than I did with other models. These two were gone before I knew it, which is probably also why I have no case back photos.
Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
the reason I ask is that IF someone as knowledgeable as you can't tell the difference between sapphire and plexi unless being told (albeit you didn't spend much time on it), then why would Panerai put a plexi on 372 IF someone can't tell the difference unless being told?

I mean, I do understand the reason behind it, it's more historically correct, of course, but I believe these historically enthuasists are looking more on the looks of the vintage PAM, how it looks as close as the vintage as much as possible, so if both crystal have the same looks and feel, sapphire is more durable and more scratch resistant vs plexi. DNA is DNA, I get it, but unless there is a substantial difference in looks and feel between sapphire vs plexi, I would always opt for the modern and more durable solution for a $10k watch if I am selling a watch.

If you are a dealer and selling 372 to a regular Joe and marketed that Panerai is a tool watch, you as a dealer do not want people come back to your shop and complain that the crystal 'scratch', and especially since 372 is a regular production watch. If it's an SE, then yes like 249/448/449, it's more targeted toward enthusiasts and again, I understand the reason, but going plexi for a regular watch, I think it's not a wise move.

Just my opinion.

fullcourt1
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 9:18 pm #20

it's only a pr indicator

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
"
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp