Serioulsly....Is this all what Panerai can build?? THIS or THAT???

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Serioulsly....Is this all what Panerai can build?? THIS or THAT???

NachoM
Paneristi
NachoM
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 8:58 am #1

Panerai should really challenge themselves when bringing something new. Not just take a "shortcut"

Speaking about the new bezel on the PAM389...isnt a better way to build up a ceramic bezel??....Not the first one out there, and some are really fine pieces. At least, try to match the competitors construction quality.

Its just a persona pic but...

And this is not personal, but the level of perfection, is way behond the new from Panerai.

Or this...

Not going to compare with the PPhantoms ceramic bezel...or even with the ceramic bezel on Rolex, or Channel as its embarrassing.

Well bringing a ceramic bezel to the market should mean something else than placing a "ceramic sticker" on top of the bezel. Specially if your name is Panerai, and you are claiming to be one of the top brands out there.

Even in the press photos, you can see dust in between the ceramic layer, and the bezel limits or markers...???

Again, not speaking about the aesthetics. Its a 9K EUR watch...we should be critics at least.

nhattruyen
Paneristi
nhattruyen
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 9:13 am #2

but then again. OP never cared and eventually we'll hear alot from 'experts' that this is the best piece made so far and we'll all jump on the wagon and try to get one.
No worries for OP, they will make money.

Nhat
Saigon, Vietnam

NachoM
Paneristi
NachoM
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 9:18 am #3

I will not jump into this train. I am actually looking more and more to other brands.
Had and tried last week the Tudor BlackBay, and wow! exceptional construction at a Panerai half price.
In fact..I more attracted by many other brands now than before...Some people out there are really raising the bar!

I think we also have to say NO WAY to certain things as Panerai aficionados. Composite was a disaster...and things like that should not happen again. This new bezel...seems to me not a perfect solution.

nhattruyen
Paneristi
nhattruyen
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 9:20 am #4

+1

jakobbh
Paneristi
jakobbh
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 9:30 am #5

Panerai should really challenge themselves when bringing something new. Not just take a "shortcut"

Speaking about the new bezel on the PAM389...isnt a better way to build up a ceramic bezel??....Not the first one out there, and some are really fine pieces. At least, try to match the competitors construction quality.

And this is not personal, but the level of perfection, is way behond the new from Panerai.

Or this...

Not going to compare with the PPhantoms ceramic bezel...or even with the ceramic bezel on Rolex, or Channel as its embarrassing.

Well bringing a ceramic bezel to the market should mean something else than placing a "ceramic sticker" on top of the bezel. Specially if your name is Panerai, and you are claiming to be one of the top brands out there.

Even in the press photos, you can see dust in between the ceramic layer, and the bezel limits or markers...???

Again, not speaking about the aesthetics. Its a 9K EUR watch...we should be critics at least.

11years
Paneristi
11years
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 10:14 am #6

Or this...

Since when is Panerai supposed to be the brand of innovation? Also, when were they the best "value" on the market? I think the new watch is nice....more importantly, I guess I am missing why this is somehow a big miss for Panerai. There are plenty of knockoffs out there these days with a crown guard and sandwich dial for way less money....
When has Panerai ever been cutting edge?

gregcar
Paneristi
gregcar
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 10:38 am #7

Or this...

NachoM
Paneristi
NachoM
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 10:53 am #8

Since when is Panerai supposed to be the brand of innovation? Also, when were they the best "value" on the market? I think the new watch is nice....more importantly, I guess I am missing why this is somehow a big miss for Panerai. There are plenty of knockoffs out there these days with a crown guard and sandwich dial for way less money....
When has Panerai ever been cutting edge?
if Panerai brings proper stuff...or if they improve or not?
Amazing...so its just a label? No matter what they do...it will always be fine

Looking to their name (OFFICINE de IDEE)...and the investments they have run into in the last years (they have launched 7 new in-house movmts)...sorry but YES, I expect from Panerai some kind of innovations.

11years
Paneristi
11years
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 11:00 am #9

Was it value that brought you to the brand? Thousands of dollars for a watch with no second hand and an ETA movement? Doubtful....
I like the new sub, and I am not going to get in a discussion of what brand offers more for the money, like Tudor.
Tudor are fine watches...buy one.
Seiko also makes a fine dive watch for a couple hundred bucks.... Value is all perception. These are luxury items. So, no I actually feel the opposite of what you said, it is not just a label. I stopped trying to justify the price of watches as a sum of the value of their parts a long time ago....
You are free to vote with your pocket book, just like anyone else. I just dont see this new sub as the model where collectors should unite and take a stand based on perceived value when benchmarked against other brands.

Chinanico
Paneristi
Chinanico
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 11:12 am #10

Or this...

Not sure myself what to think about the looks, probably need to see it in the flesh, which might take ages as I live in a continent without boutique...

NachoM
Paneristi
NachoM
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 11:12 am #11

Was it value that brought you to the brand? Thousands of dollars for a watch with no second hand and an ETA movement? Doubtful....
I like the new sub, and I am not going to get in a discussion of what brand offers more for the money, like Tudor.
Tudor are fine watches...buy one.
Seiko also makes a fine dive watch for a couple hundred bucks.... Value is all perception. These are luxury items. So, no I actually feel the opposite of what you said, it is not just a label. I stopped trying to justify the price of watches as a sum of the value of their parts a long time ago....
You are free to vote with your pocket book, just like anyone else. I just dont see this new sub as the model where collectors should unite and take a stand based on perceived value when benchmarked against other brands.
I see your points...
Just saying that Panerai should not bring to the market "just another product". From their position they should really try to make things as perfect as they can. They should look forward perfection...rather than "mediocrity"

johnnychum
Paneristi
johnnychum
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 11:36 am #12

Or this...

Montreal, Quebec.

murphtyper
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 11:48 am #13

Or this...

Phumanchu
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 12:00 pm #14

I will not jump into this train. I am actually looking more and more to other brands.
Had and tried last week the Tudor BlackBay, and wow! exceptional construction at a Panerai half price.
In fact..I more attracted by many other brands now than before...Some people out there are really raising the bar!

I think we also have to say NO WAY to certain things as Panerai aficionados. Composite was a disaster...and things like that should not happen again. This new bezel...seems to me not a perfect solution.

Cheers!

NachoM
Paneristi
NachoM
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 12:12 pm #15

Phumanchu
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 12:15 pm #16

NachoM
Paneristi
NachoM
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 12:27 pm #17

papillonvic
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 12:33 pm #18

Or this...

Whilst I like the look that the Black gives the Bezel on the Pam I agree that compared to the Omega PloProf or the new Planet Ocean or any of Rolex Ceramic it is very poorly executed . To me when you are looking to charge 9K Euro for a watch and add a new Ceramic Bezel this cannot be the case . At that price point the watch should be top notch in every aspect !

I love my Base Panerais and my trusty old 87 Sub but if looking for top quality modern Divers with a Ceramic Bezel I will not be looking at a Pam 389 as there are so many better options on the Market.

Cheers,

Vic

AurelioS
Paneristi
AurelioS
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 1:18 pm #19

Or this...

I responded with, "Well, doesn't that tell you this actor is great, since he can get you so fired up?"

I will say, the brand has an uncanny way of taking a simplistic design, adding some tweaks, and getting all you kids twisted up and screaming
As I said before, I need to see this first before passing too much judgement; the only thing that could be a bother is the "fauxtina" (whoever
made that word up, I'm buying you a drink the next time I see you!). But other than that, this is a cool "tweak", IMO.

Want innovation? There are other models within the line up that can give you what you're after. I can appreciate the comparison to other brands;
I've done it before, bitching about how a $250 Seiko has a better bezel mechanism than a PAM199. But over time, this has been rectified for the
most part.

Nacho, you may not like this, but you have to give them credit for trying something 'different', at least for them. Yes, some models come out,
and they suck to me - but that's the one thing that is so cool about these tuna cans - like Ben & Jerry's (for better or worse), there's 1000
different flavors for everyone.

Peace, love and experiments ~
A.

Got to keep on shufflin'!

NachoM
Paneristi
NachoM
Paneristi

September 14th, 2012, 1:41 pm #20

AGAIN ( I think its the third time I say....), this is nothing about the look!

Its just the way they blacked out the bezel. I really expect "something" else from Panerai....just that.

Something new? Different??....not discussing this mate. This is not different at all...neither new. its just what many others have already done in the past, and to me they did a much better job. I think its also healthy to be critic at some point and being able to say: "this is not good enough for you my friend".

OK with the twist...Ok with the look, the materials, bla, bla...bla.. Its a nice watch. Im just saying that we are reaching a point that only saying its a Panerai, is not enough. At least for me. I want something else. Otherwise, what´s the difference buying this...or any other brand?