Semi ot....which brand do you think presents the best value!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Semi ot....which brand do you think presents the best value!

lumradsub
Paneristi
lumradsub
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 1:09 pm #1

Curious to hear opinions from other watch collectors. We would probably all agree that luxry watches are overpriced and one should not try to justify if they are "worth" the money. I am not trying to do that, I just thought it would be interesting to see what brand you feel presents the most "value for your money" if you will. This isn't a price discussion....

I will start....I think Oris is a brand that gives you a lot of watch for the money, especially some of their divers, when purchased right.

My small collection

handster
Paneristi
handster
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 1:19 pm #2

i agree with Oris,i also think early Breitling models represent very good value.

chris5264
Paneristi
chris5264
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 1:30 pm #3

Curious to hear opinions from other watch collectors. We would probably all agree that luxry watches are overpriced and one should not try to justify if they are "worth" the money. I am not trying to do that, I just thought it would be interesting to see what brand you feel presents the most "value for your money" if you will. This isn't a price discussion....

I will start....I think Oris is a brand that gives you a lot of watch for the money, especially some of their divers, when purchased right.

My small collection
If you pick up a UTS used...the value (for unknown reasons) drops to a silly price...I picked up a uts adventure, 500m Unitas, decorated. case pretty much as hand made as it can get....

TokyoSkier
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 1:36 pm #4

+1!

TokyoSkier
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 1:38 pm #5

My small collection
Zenith seems to be pretty impressive to me. Wonderful movement, design, and functions at a decent price, IMHO.

rioet
Paneristi
rioet
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 2:51 pm #6

My small collection
durable, reliable, value for money n ever green design

Odin43
Paneristi
Odin43
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 3:18 pm #7

My small collection
When I think of value, Seiko pops into my head.

toulouse2
Paneristi
toulouse2
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 3:38 pm #8

My small collection
They have some great offerings for very reasonable prices. Also Laco and Stowa.

LUCCHAO
Paneristi
LUCCHAO
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 4:20 pm #9

My small collection
regarding when you buy it brand new, Rolex is the best, followed by PP (latter if you got nice price)

when bought pre owned, Omega and Zenith -- specially Zenith El Primero Chronos, IMO, the best mechanism ever

best

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 5:00 pm #10

My small collection

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Bruno.M1
Paneristi
Bruno.M1
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 5:10 pm #11

My small collection
Read and learn more about the brand and you'll understand why.
If you know their history, inhouse movements, chronometry prices they won, ...

Then take a look at their listprice!
An inhouse chrono starts at 5500 euro. I like Panerai too but let's be honest, Panerai gives you a very simple
ETA based 111 for that price
a cheap ETA versus a legendary 36.000vph El Primero. Well I own a PAM111 but this makes you doubt

On par with others like for example JLC, but for almost half the price.

Why ? ( and this my personal opinion ) The brand had hard times when Mr Nataf launched these butt ugly Defy watches.
They did not sell and at that time were seriously overpriced.
Now, since 2009, with Mr Dufour as CEO they went back to their roots. Making superb watches with a lot of character (take
the impressive TYPE 20 as an example) And I think Mr Dufour kept prices low to rebuild trust and confidence.
I'm sure these prices will go up, can't be a bargain forever. Now is the time to buy.

And if you have much more to spend ... I like the JLC Gyrotourbillon but this Zenith Christophe Colomb is imo much more impressive

[/IMG]

lumradsub
Paneristi
lumradsub
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 5:57 pm #12

I havent looked into Zenith much, because as you said, I remember the defy extreme which seemed incredibly expensive. This is a brand I will look at more closely.

My small collection

lumradsub
Paneristi
lumradsub
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 5:58 pm #13

Thnk I have seen one in person.

My small collection

lumradsub
Paneristi
lumradsub
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 5:59 pm #14

durable, reliable, value for money n ever green design

Cant go wrong with a classic like a sub, daytona, gmt, etc.....

My small collection

mrpanerai
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 6:05 pm #15

My small collection
There aren't any "True Luxury" brands the represent a good value.

However if you want to talk about some of the off name brands like

Frederique Constant and little sister Alpina, that offer in-house

movements at $2800.00 I also like the upper end Victorinox Swiss Armies

and Freelancer collection by Raymond Weil. Maurice Lacroix in their

early years made fantastic watches with real value and can be picked up

for no money in the secondary market.

latoyii
Paneristi
latoyii
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 6:50 pm #16

Good call, Micah. Sinn is a strong value.

murphtyper
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 8:21 pm #17

My small collection
Great value for $ in my opinion.

hayseedbrown
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2013, 11:44 pm #18

There aren't any "True Luxury" brands the represent a good value.

However if you want to talk about some of the off name brands like

Frederique Constant and little sister Alpina, that offer in-house

movements at $2800.00 I also like the upper end Victorinox Swiss Armies

and Freelancer collection by Raymond Weil. Maurice Lacroix in their

early years made fantastic watches with real value and can be picked up

for no money in the secondary market.

I respectfully disagree. I consider Glashutte Original a true luxury brand that represents good value. Look at the prices of their perpetual calendars. Also, Jeager Lecoultre offers you good value for your money. I guess it all depends on your definition of a good value. For some of the brands with ETA movements, I like JeanRichard. Classy and unique looking and you can usually get one for around 2 grand.

DanRan05
Paneristi
DanRan05
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 12:06 am #19

My small collection
to be able to get a looker of a watch without breaking the bank, and not having to worry about where I wear my watch, be it in a pisser at some bar across from Comerica Staduim or just standard yard work. I feel that Seiko is a brand that has stood the test of time, (no pun intended), you can get one anywhere from $90.00 US to $7,900.00 US. And the brand covers from entry level all the way to Grand Seiko.

Here is my current collection.....................

Panerai Luminor Marina 111

Omega Seamaster on s/s bracelet Large 45.5mm

Helson Bronze Shark Diver

Hamilton Pilot 46mm

Debaufre Marine Master 47mm (Not water resistant)

Seiko Frankenmonster

Seiko Monster

Seiko Dive Watch older model, off hand forgot the numbers

The Panerai I wear on special occasions or to really chill and lay back, it gives me a more than fuzzy feeling inside.

The Omega is also worn on special occasions and when I feeling like kicking back.

The Bronze Helson I usually wear if I'm in a grunge mood. Low cut Red Wing shoes, worn jeans with the black t-shirt that has holes under the armpits, where the top of the pocket is ripped a little and the black on the t-shirt is really starting to fade.

The Hamilton Pilot is my core watch for my vast assortment of multi colored nato and zulu straps, those straps rock this watch. I usually wear the Hamilton when I have my favorite t-shirt and nice looking jeans on, Carhartt jeans work well with me when deciding which watch to wear.

On to the Seiko watches, before I get distracted. I love these watches for thier mere visual appearance along with quality and on the table value. I do not make "Bu Cu" bucks, so I can't afford to wear my 111 cutting grass or walking the dog down a dark alley @ 3am. If I do damage to one of my Seikos (and I mean major damage) I just begin to shop for another without breaking the bank. Don't get me wrong I love my Panerai and Omega, but to me it just doesn't make any sense to wear these kind of brands while weeding or if I'm in an enviroment that could cause me problems (meaning getting held up or robbed, and yes it happens. The Helson Bronze is also another wonderful watch, I probably will never make a wiser choice than I have as with this watch. For me I have to be in a certain mood, I also have to be dressed a certain way, and when I do it all comes together.

The Seiko brand seems to fit my lifestyle in a more casual and relaxed way.
The Seikos are game changers, I can wear one model with a dress shirt and the same model if I want to do some work outside. I can't tell you how accurate they are. With all of the websites out there you can even modify a Seiko to your own taste, be it the dial, the hands, the material of the case, the crown, the bezel, the strap. Now tell me what other watch brand out there allows you to have these kinds of choices for thier watches? (I thought that you might say that).

All in all, I like the Seiko brand for the value, appeal and selection, not to mention the accuracy as I mentioned.

To sum this all up, I would like to say one final thing. "Don't spinn your wheeles", what I mean is don't just settle for one watch brand and one only, there are many, many fine watch brands out there, learn to recognize them and appreciate them. Be true to yourself before being true to the brand.

I do hope that I have been helpful and wish you well with your journey of this madd, madd world of watch collecting. It has given me countless hours of pleasure as I do look forward to many, many more.

hugewhaleshark
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 12:24 am #20

My small collection
Honestly if you look at price-to-function, plus good looks and collectability, this cannot be beat. I'm waiting for my fellow Shockeristis to agree

"Aiyah Panerai, buay beh liao eh lah." / Singapore
"Agak gila Panerai." / Indonesia
"Owh, Besarnya!!!" / Malaysia
hugewhaleshark = Yeu Huan = SGRisti