SE models only from Boutiques in the future?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

SE models only from Boutiques in the future?

shadowman50
Paneristi

May 8th, 2012, 4:01 pm #1

A highly regarded London dealer advised me earlier today, that SE models will only be available from Boutiques in future?

Has anyone else been advised of this?

GuyVerbist
Paneristi
GuyVerbist
Paneristi

May 8th, 2012, 4:15 pm #2

I don't know if it's true or not, but it makes commercial sense.

If you're confident that you can sell out your entire production of a special edition from your boutiques, then why pay a middle man? On the assumption that the boutiques are Richemont-owned (not franchises) you pocket the whole dealer mark-up.

Whether this confidence is justified and people in areas with no local boutique will put up with the hassle of international wire transfer, shipping, insurance, customs, taxes just to get their hands on a rarer watch ... Well I guess we might see.

Guy

<table width="100%"><tr><td width="80%">Skull Rings - Fast Cars - Investment Banking
</td><td align="right">

</td></tr></table>

Jpvfx
Paneristi
Jpvfx
Paneristi

May 8th, 2012, 4:41 pm #3

Bruno.M1
Paneristi
Bruno.M1
Paneristi

May 8th, 2012, 4:47 pm #4

A highly regarded London dealer advised me earlier today, that SE models will only be available from Boutiques in future?

we'll see how it evolves but in that case I probably bought my last Panerai a few months ago

Stoffe56
Paneristi
Stoffe56
Paneristi

May 8th, 2012, 6:16 pm #5

machtigetokus
Paneristi

May 8th, 2012, 6:49 pm #6

Would think that that would be the end of my collection expanding.... Have excellent relationship with AD but zero with boutique... No boutique close either.... I am willing to buy based on this relationship some none SE watches while I occasionally get 'thrown' SE my way... Works both ways, good for AD, good for me! No point in trying to build relationship with boutique by mail, phone where they don't know me.... Most likely not going to be buying normal collection without ever having a chance to get a nice special SE....

All in all bad form I think.....

Cheers, Joris

***Lo, comandante del tempo***
PAM 111, 233, 339 & 382

andyhunt
Paneristi
andyhunt
Paneristi

May 8th, 2012, 7:31 pm #7

As for the future who knows but it would make commercial sense

"Going to London, what for mate, the Jubilee, the Olympics?"

"Nah, P-Day mate!!"

patrick-belgium
Paneristi

May 8th, 2012, 7:47 pm #8

we'll see how it evolves but in that case I probably bought my last Panerai a few months ago
...for the same reason !

my relationship with my AD's are prior to having a LE of Panerai, I hate the way it goes but if that is the choice of Panerai they surely can do without me also for the rest of the normal production, reason also why I declined the last offer of a Pam SE instead of spending 20K on them I bougth something else and so it will in the future, not my choice but OP's

P@trick

LUCCHAO
Paneristi
LUCCHAO
Paneristi

May 8th, 2012, 8:10 pm #9

My conclusion is based on tortuous thinking

First - is Panerai willing to open boutiques all over the world?

Second - is Panerai willing to make non SE ( ie. 372 like) in order to reach broader market, or on other hand , the culture of several SEs ?

Rumor has it that you should have a good relationship (ie., buy a lot of non SE, for instance) in order to put your hands on one of desired ones. And most of us are out of that range. Considering that the LIST at boutiques really does not function in the way we expect, there's no point having a boutique near for most of us.

If we take a glance at how many desired SE, really desired SE in my point of view, in the last few years, I'd say it's better bear with frustation and get it on grey market. Less expensive, at the end of the day.

But then, if AD's will not have SE anymore, only regular production, it will certainly affect their customers that have been buying in regular basis. It may decrease AD's interest on selling the brand as well, since they would got stuck with only the not so hot pieces .

Marketing says scarce, expensive and desire are good friends. I think there's a limit, and maybe Panerai is testing this limit.

In short, if Panerai continues the strategy of SE as we have seen so far, this new move of SE only available in Boutiques can easily backfire --> it's a simply question of too much restriction of supply on a market that has a lot of other options to offer.

If the idea was to make more money per piece, it can eventually end up having less pieces sold .

best

jadamo
Paneristi
jadamo
Paneristi

May 8th, 2012, 10:32 pm #10

I was able to obtain a 417 from the NY boutique without ever purchasing from them previously, and since i live across state lines i did not pay sales tax. Kind of lucky perhaps--from email inquiry to the waiting list to delivery, it was less than two weeks to have it on my hairy wrist
john

Ora et Labora

mlpugh
Paneristi
mlpugh
Paneristi

May 9th, 2012, 2:10 am #11

I have already started to look and study other watchmakers.

Rippie
Paneristi
Rippie
Paneristi

May 9th, 2012, 3:54 am #12

It makes perfect sense from PANERAI'S point of view. By saving their most collectible models for their growing number of boutiques, they can control distribution, availability and price...making their watches more desirable. They've been doing this for years. In Beverly Hills, there are three Richmont boutiques next to each other, Panerai, JLC and IWC.

No doubt will end some of the good deals,,,but the folks at the boutiques I know in NY and BH are a CLASS ACT. If I ever have to go into Tourneau again --it will be too soon!

HarryM9
Paneristi
HarryM9
Paneristi

May 9th, 2012, 5:44 am #13

There's no Boutique in Toronto or, for that matter, in Canada at all.
Heck, there's not even an AD worth mentioning in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). - well, there's one in the west enf of the city but frankly I haven't heard one good word about them.

Micha-K-48
Paneristi
Micha-K-48
Paneristi

May 9th, 2012, 8:41 am #14

the rest only at the Boutiques

Kenn_
Paneristi
Kenn_
Paneristi

May 9th, 2012, 12:17 pm #15

I've heard the same from a US Boutique and also from a Richemont Rep. I agree with Harald, being another Canadian Risti and having been on the waiting list at two Canadian AD's.

I was first on the list at one AD who was promised the piece, and third on the list at another AD, I also had a deposit on the piece; only to get called from both informing me that neither AD was going to receive even one piece? The dealers were obviuosly upset at the response they were given, but were careful how they handled their comments. I was certainly offered other brands.

Cheers...

chriswiles
Paneristi
chriswiles
Paneristi

May 10th, 2012, 1:42 pm #16

There's no Boutique in Toronto or, for that matter, in Canada at all.
Heck, there's not even an AD worth mentioning in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). - well, there's one in the west enf of the city but frankly I haven't heard one good word about them.

Nor any boutiques in the UK, which is crazy.

I must admit, my local Panerai dealer only has basic PAMs these days. Never any special PAMs. Looks like most of the best PAMs now head to the boutiques.