Saw the "micro scratches" on the 372

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Saw the "micro scratches" on the 372

lumradsub
Paneristi
lumradsub
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 12:36 pm #1

I know this has been discussed a gazillion times, but I was looking at a 372 at a dealer....brand new...and it already had the micro scratches that people talk about on the plexi crystal. I was surprised that just from being wiped down with a glove at the store it already had these. Dont get me wrong, they do not detract from the look, nor would it deter from buying one, but they are definitely there and easily seen if you tilt the watch in the right light.
To me they are very similar to the "swirl marks" that you will notice on a black car, even after it has been waxed...
I am still glad they used the plexi on this model, and I like the history side of it, but for those of you that are very particular about keeping your watch perfect....this is probably not the model for you.

hugewhaleshark
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 1:39 pm #2

I've owned a 372 coming to a year now, and I'm sure other owners will chime in.

My plexi DOES NOT "micro-scratch" with a glove, or polishing cloth, or shirt cuff. I can't speak for other 372s, but I find it really quite unlikely that others will be all that different.

What I find is that rubbing the plexi with a cloth of any sort leaves small streaks, but this is stuff that the cloth LEAVES behind! Wipe it down with a clean polishing cloth properly and you will see that they will disappear.

I recommend anyone who remains concerned about the 372's plexi NOT to get one, for their own sanity. But I do throw my hands up every time I hear how supposedly fragile the plexi is, when it is just not true.

"Aiyah Panerai, buay beh liao eh lah." / Singapore
"Agak gila Panerai." / Indonesia
"Owh, Besarnya!!!" / Malaysia
hugewhaleshark = Yeu Huan = SGRisti

lumradsub
Paneristi
lumradsub
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 2:26 pm #3

Im not trying to be dramatic, in fact I still want one. Just creating more discussion since it seems that the 372 is the majority of talk around here.

PSY76
Paneristi
PSY76
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 4:02 pm #4

is correct. I tend to baby all my watches, but I'm particularly keen in that regard to my 372 - due to the plexi. So far, so good. I wipe it down a couple of times a day and I DON'T use a loupe or any other device to see how it's doing, LOL. If I can't see it, it's not there.

On the other hand, I have been wearing my onyx bead skull bracelet behind my watch and the left side of the case has some significant swirlies in it. After a momentary alarm, I realized I could just take these out with a Cape Cod Cloth, but I'm not doing that on a regular basis (either). Maybe every 6 months I'll evaluate the look of my 372 for any cosmetic work needed and take care of it myself.

As Salvador Dali said, "Don't strive for perfection - you'll never reach it."

</a><a href="http://photobucket.com" rel="nofollow">

Gregesq
Paneristi
Gregesq
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 4:19 pm #5

I know this has been discussed a gazillion times, but I was looking at a 372 at a dealer....brand new...and it already had the micro scratches that people talk about on the plexi crystal. I was surprised that just from being wiped down with a glove at the store it already had these. Dont get me wrong, they do not detract from the look, nor would it deter from buying one, but they are definitely there and easily seen if you tilt the watch in the right light.
To me they are very similar to the "swirl marks" that you will notice on a black car, even after it has been waxed...
I am still glad they used the plexi on this model, and I like the history side of it, but for those of you that are very particular about keeping your watch perfect....this is probably not the model for you.
Doctor: "Don't do that."

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 4:24 pm #6

My plexi DOES NOT "micro-scratch" with a glove, or polishing cloth, or shirt cuff. I can't speak for other 372s, but I find it really quite unlikely that others will be all that different.

What I find is that rubbing the plexi with a cloth of any sort leaves small streaks, but this is stuff that the cloth LEAVES behind! Wipe it down with a clean polishing cloth properly and you will see that they will disappear.

I recommend anyone who remains concerned about the 372's plexi NOT to get one, for their own sanity. But I do throw my hands up every time I hear how supposedly fragile the plexi is, when it is just not true.

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

bgriggs32
Paneristi
bgriggs32
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 4:55 pm #7

...The bottom line is that the plexi crystal scratches and shows hairlines very easy. I have seen two brand new models, at boutiques, that display exactly what you are saying.

Obviously, the 372 is not going to be for everyone, but the plexi does scratch. I notice, most of the supporters of the plexi chime-in in its defense very regularly. Many times they also talk about sapphire crystals scratching as well. I have worn watches with sapphire crystals, mostly Rolex, for 20 years and never scratched any of them. I have chipped a corner of a sapphire crystal, but never scratched one (I do not baby my watches either).

I guess most folks that are really anal about imperfections will be driven to near insanity by a plexi crystal, but the 372 is a fantastic watch and should be worn until it resembles its oldest siblings that we all drool over today.

BG

lumradsub
Paneristi
lumradsub
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 5:23 pm #8

Not sure the defensive natured responses by some when this is discussed. I think the 372 is great and I want one....the only point of my post is that I had the opportunity to handle one, and I see the crystal swirlies that people are talking about. The post was not meant as an argument for or against the plexi, just a statement of what I saw,

coolblue1967
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 5:23 pm #9

First, I should say I have a 372 and love it. I think it's down to taking a watch for what it is. So while I'm particular about a scratch on a sapphire or mineral crystal, I accept them on plexi because that is the nature of the material. I have many vintage watches with plexi, 30-40 years old, a couple going back to WW2... None has shattered, or cracked... Some were military watches. Sure there are swirls on all of them, and once a while, poly watch or even toothpaste will give them a new shine, though not removing all the scratches. But that's how I like them to be. To be honest, I'm more concerned about damage to sapphire crystal because I know I can't do anything about it except an expensive replacement.

lumradsub
Paneristi
lumradsub
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 5:31 pm #10

So you admit they are there...they are not avoidable if you wear your watch. Thats all Im saying. Why do some owners act like we are discussing UFO'S?

kftman
Paneristi
kftman
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 5:47 pm #11

____
MK
______
Mark K

lumradsub
Paneristi
lumradsub
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 5:56 pm #12

Personally, I typically buy pre owned, but the way I see some watches get handled out of the showcase, it's amazing they can sell them as "new"

PorscheAndPanerai
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 6:19 pm #13

I have wiped my PlexiPlexi a 100 times with shirts and cloths, I don't see any bad swirls at all , but yes after a lot of wear there are tiny micros... Such is life. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't get the people who comment and complain about it though, it's not like Panerai lied and deceived saying its an unscratchable Plexi and or advertised it as a sapphire lol

It's an implied risk, but certainly way overblown

Martin
PAM 162, 360, 372, 380, 390x2

bgriggs32
Paneristi
bgriggs32
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 6:22 pm #14

____
MK
...were perfect, with plastic covering the crystal, until I removed it to take a look.

These watches were handled like nitroglycerin. Beleive me, I have been sold "shop worn" watches that looked like they had been handled by monkeys. Luckily, Rolex and AP have tried to avoid some of the "shop wear" (unfortunately, by employees and customers) by putting plastic stickers all over them.

Maybe we should wear plastic stickers over the plexi crystals.

BG

aboen
Paneristi
aboen
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 6:40 pm #15

Andrew Boen
NoCal

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 6:43 pm #16

So you admit they are there...they are not avoidable if you wear your watch. Thats all Im saying. Why do some owners act like we are discussing UFO'S?
To me you are talking about UFO's

I don't and have never seen the so-called micro scratches. Like I said the other day, put my 249 in full sunlight... Didn't see them. Been wearing it for years. Rubbed with t shirt, paper towel, dish towel... Absolutely no change, not a single micro scratch to be seen. Same with my 372. I have 20/20 vision, no glasses so I don't think I'm just missing them... I don't believe they are there.

So as much as you believe your eyes I also believe mine... As you said its not an argument just and observation, you and others see things I just don't see. And as much as you are free to post your observations so am I, so I do

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

lumradsub
Paneristi
lumradsub
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 6:48 pm #17

Cant argue that. What I am seeing is nothing to be concerned about anyways, just a noticeable difference between sapphire. Thanks for the reply.....
Interestingly the 372 and 249 are two of my favorite Panerai.

Gregesq
Paneristi
Gregesq
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 7:30 pm #18

____
MK

fullcourt1
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 8:34 pm #19

dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

easales
Paneristi
easales
Paneristi

September 9th, 2012, 8:49 pm #20

Awesome watch, plexiglas may scratch, just enjoy. I accept the fact my car paint won't be perfect every time I was it too, lol