"Reg." and "T.M." - what do they mean?

"Reg." and "T.M." - what do they mean?

c-square
Paneristi
c-square
Paneristi

September 25th, 2009, 7:23 am #1

I observed that there are the acronym "Reg." and "T.M." engraved onto the crown protector of some of the Panerai models, partcularly those relatively more expensive ones. Can I know what those acronyms mean and what are their functions?

Tuna1138
Paneristi
Tuna1138
Paneristi

September 25th, 2009, 9:38 am #2

Registered and Trade Mark

have a look at this link in the archives

http://www.paneristi.com/archives/patent/index.html

regards

Ian (uk)

michaelvl
Paneristi
michaelvl
Paneristi

September 25th, 2009, 10:10 am #3

I observed that there are the acronym "Reg." and "T.M." engraved onto the crown protector of some of the Panerai models, partcularly those relatively more expensive ones. Can I know what those acronyms mean and what are their functions?
Reg. and T.M. combined stand for Registered Trademark. The Registered Trademark engravings on the crown protectors refer to the fact that Panerai is the legal trademark holder of the crown protecting device.

Some of the early vintage Panerai's that came out in the 50's had a similar styled engraving on the rear side of the crown protecting device that read "Brev. Ital.", what stands for Brevettato Italia, meaning Patented in Italy.

The reason that Panerai nowadays puts the Reg. T.M. on the crown protectors of the 1950 cased models is probably more as a reference to there roots then to inform the public that they own the legal rights to the crown protecting device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

Here is a picture of a vintage Panerai 6152/1 with "Brev. Ital." engraved on the rear side of the crown protecting device.

c-square
Paneristi
c-square
Paneristi

September 29th, 2009, 3:58 am #4

So, does it mean that only those Panerai models that come with the 1950 case will have the "Reg." and "T.M." engraved? My 104 doesn't have those engravings.

michaelvl
Paneristi
michaelvl
Paneristi

September 29th, 2009, 5:56 pm #5

Currently only Panerai's with a 1950 cases come with a crown protector with Reg. T.M. engraved in them.
All other Panerai's using the regular Luminor case (like your PAM104) come with an un-engraved crown protector.

pp5120
Paneristi
pp5120
Paneristi

September 30th, 2009, 9:54 pm #6

on all Luminors are protected trademarks...
interesting that its only on the 1950...its done as a hommage?