RE: PAM339 - Has Anyone Actually >>>

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

RE: PAM339 - Has Anyone Actually >>>

DiegoArana
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 8:57 pm #1

gone swimming or diving with
one of these? If so, any pics?

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Diego
Studio City, CA
Refresh, refresh, refresh........

J-F.
Paneristi
J-F.
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 9:01 pm #2

He've never been able to share any picture, sorry

ERSanchez
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 9:06 pm #3

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Diego
Studio City, CA

What's up Diego!!

Eddie "Sharkman" Sanchez

"It's all about the patina, Baby!"

P U R A V I D A !

The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more ~ fortune cookie

DiegoArana
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 9:17 pm #4

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Diego
Studio City, CA

some one whose opinion and
knowledge I respect mentioned
in a conversation we had that
he'd discourage some one to do it
if they were going to.

I love mine and its held up well
to all kinds of peripheral hits
due to kid play.

I'm not interested in beer dunking
but if some one tried that .....

Cheers,
Diego
Studio City, CA

Rock1979
Paneristi
Rock1979
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 9:50 pm #5

explicitly not to put the 339 in salt water in order to prevent against possible discoloration. I probably wouldn't risk it and go with a G Shock instead.

JRock

steveroadking
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 11:34 pm #6

What I know about metallurgy can be written on a mini-post it, but the little I've gleaned from internet engineering and investigating the ceramic or titanium coatings of aluminum has been very successful with the major manufacturers of marine out drives and engine parts ie Volvo and Merc, and pump housings made for salt water use.
Although I do not the know the exact process of the 339 cermamized aluminum, the process of a ceramic coating is widely used to prevent corrosion in salt water.
If anyone does the exact process, I would welcome the info.
The exact process used by Panerai will help us to better understand the durability of one very special watch..the 339MM

"Life's an adventure, you might as well wear a Panerai"
Steve (steveroadking)

Richardson Hwy, Valdez, Alaska-- The Brooks Range via Dalton Hwy Alaska--Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse Arctic Ocean Alaska--Dawson Cr, Mile Marker '0' Alaska Canadian Hwy Alberta Canada--Yukon Territory, Al Can Highway--Crossing the Yukon River via The George Black Ferry from Dawson City--Poker Creek, population 2, furthest northern border crossing in Alaska. The Forty Mile River Region/Top Of The World Highway

DiegoArana
Paneristi

May 2nd, 2012, 1:49 am #7

everyone else for indulging me.

Some specific information from
Panerai would be great.

Cheers,
Diego
Studio City, CA

Rock1979
Paneristi
Rock1979
Paneristi

May 2nd, 2012, 3:24 am #8

What I know about metallurgy can be written on a mini-post it, but the little I've gleaned from internet engineering and investigating the ceramic or titanium coatings of aluminum has been very successful with the major manufacturers of marine out drives and engine parts ie Volvo and Merc, and pump housings made for salt water use.
Although I do not the know the exact process of the 339 cermamized aluminum, the process of a ceramic coating is widely used to prevent corrosion in salt water.
If anyone does the exact process, I would welcome the info.
The exact process used by Panerai will help us to better understand the durability of one very special watch..the 339MM

"Life's an adventure, you might as well wear a Panerai"
Steve (steveroadking)

Richardson Hwy, Valdez, Alaska-- The Brooks Range via Dalton Hwy Alaska--Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse Arctic Ocean Alaska--Dawson Cr, Mile Marker '0' Alaska Canadian Hwy Alberta Canada--Yukon Territory, Al Can Highway--Crossing the Yukon River via The George Black Ferry from Dawson City--Poker Creek, population 2, furthest northern border crossing in Alaska. The Forty Mile River Region/Top Of The World Highway

My understanding with salt water is that the issue is not structural with respect to the case coating but with the discoloration. I was warned not to submerge in salt water to avoid further discoloration and I wouldn't risk it if I didn't have to. I was also told that it's possible to re-dye the case if it gets really fugly.

JRock

hawaiiantimer
Paneristi

May 2nd, 2012, 4:29 am #9

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Diego
Studio City, CA

Ammo straps work best. But the second keeper might get loose.

<a rel="nofollow"></a>

timlua
Paneristi
timlua
Paneristi

May 2nd, 2012, 4:56 am #10

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Diego
Studio City, CA

I know of a friend who owns a 339 and the caseback had discoloured due to sweating. So Im assuming that the sea water would even be worse?
tim

cheers!

timlua

mnm222876
Paneristi

May 2nd, 2012, 5:33 am #11

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Diego
Studio City, CA

Both in the ocean and the pool (which Nad can attest to as it was at the hotel at the Montreal GTG).

Max / Seattle