Question re: 372 crystal

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Question re: 372 crystal

Jahchilren
Paneristi
Jahchilren
Paneristi

August 5th, 2012, 10:51 pm #1

Good day to all. I am beyond new to this (or any other) forum/chat room/whatever this is called. I'm just a simple man with what I hope are a couple of simple questions, which run thusly:

I have seen Panerai model 372's sometimes described as having a Plexiglass crystal, while other times the item is described as having a sapphire-made-from-corundum crystal. Which of these descriptions is correct, or are they both?

Secondly, wouldn't the Plexiglass crystal be fairly susceptible to scratches? Assuming this answer is yes, why would a company like Panerai put this crystal on such a relatively expensive watch?

Please help. I'm about to bite either the Plexiglass or s-m-f-c bullet and need some guidance. I thank you in advance, and if the person who answers this question ever wants free meditation lessons, I'm a professional. Seriously.

Mark Williams (username Jahchilren)

rioet
Paneristi
rioet
Paneristi

August 5th, 2012, 11:31 pm #2

372 is basically a new vintage model. if you go back to time, mostly all vintage model glass is a plexi. is not about the price of the watch expensive or low but is about the overall feeling of the watch that this plexi have enhance.

just my 2 cents comment

latoyii
Paneristi
latoyii
Paneristi

August 5th, 2012, 11:35 pm #3

Good day to all. I am beyond new to this (or any other) forum/chat room/whatever this is called. I'm just a simple man with what I hope are a couple of simple questions, which run thusly:

I have seen Panerai model 372's sometimes described as having a Plexiglass crystal, while other times the item is described as having a sapphire-made-from-corundum crystal. Which of these descriptions is correct, or are they both?

Secondly, wouldn't the Plexiglass crystal be fairly susceptible to scratches? Assuming this answer is yes, why would a company like Panerai put this crystal on such a relatively expensive watch?

Please help. I'm about to bite either the Plexiglass or s-m-f-c bullet and need some guidance. I thank you in advance, and if the person who answers this question ever wants free meditation lessons, I'm a professional. Seriously.

Mark,

I cannot speak for the 372, but I do have the plexi on my Pam249. Plexi has a classic look and feel, and I have always assumed that is the reason that Panerai continues to include it on some of their pieces. With a little care and polishing the plexi survives and wears extremely well. I prefer the plexi, and say that you have nothing to fear! I've included a pic of my 249 and it definitely get some use. All the best!--lt

Jahchilren
Paneristi
Jahchilren
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 12:05 am #4

Many thanks, friend, for the information and insight. Your explanation makes perfect sense, and has indeed put my mind at rest. Lifetime meditation instruction for you!
Mark

rioet
Paneristi
rioet
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 12:49 am #5

Mark,

I cannot speak for the 372, but I do have the plexi on my Pam249. Plexi has a classic look and feel, and I have always assumed that is the reason that Panerai continues to include it on some of their pieces. With a little care and polishing the plexi survives and wears extremely well. I prefer the plexi, and say that you have nothing to fear! I've included a pic of my 249 and it definitely get some use. All the best!--lt

HDHNTER
Paneristi
HDHNTER
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 1:10 am #6

The 372 just wouldn't be the 372 without plexi.

Jahchilren
Paneristi
Jahchilren
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 1:26 am #7

What, and how often please. Thank you very much.
Mark

alaizon
Paneristi
alaizon
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 1:36 am #8

Use Polywatch to polish Plexiglas (if you need). I would not bother, coz I want Plexiglass to develop the swirlies over time and have that vintage character.

The whole point to 372 is Plexiglas, imho.

Plexiglas has a 'warm' aura that is absent from Sapphire. If you want that vintage look, you need to go Plexiglas. As watch collectors know, some plexiglas watches are far more collectable than Sapphire equivalents (speaking not only about Panerai)

If you want Sapphire, go for 422. But 422 does not have the same DNA as 372. But 422 is as close as you can get.
Last edited by CharlesLC on August 6th, 2012, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

HDHNTER
Paneristi
HDHNTER
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 1:52 am #9

PolyWatch works great. I'm going to let a patina settle in at some point but not ready to give up the beautifully clear view quite yet.

Jahchilren
Paneristi
Jahchilren
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 2:04 am #10

Use Polywatch to polish Plexiglas (if you need). I would not bother, coz I want Plexiglass to develop the swirlies over time and have that vintage character.

The whole point to 372 is Plexiglas, imho.

Plexiglas has a 'warm' aura that is absent from Sapphire. If you want that vintage look, you need to go Plexiglas. As watch collectors know, some plexiglas watches are far more collectable than Sapphire equivalents (speaking not only about Panerai)

If you want Sapphire, go for 422. But 422 does not have the same DNA as 372. But 422 is as close as you can get.
Wow! Great advice all-around. Thank you most kindly!

BavarianDave
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 6:46 am #11

Regarding all the positive feedback on the plexi glass we should mention, however, that these are reviews from pretty die-hard Panerai fans.

In my view, the vast majority of luxury watch fans would only buy saphire glass watches, due to the scratch resistance thing (you basically don't have to warry about scratches at all).

I had plexi watches myself and would never ever by one again! I felt it most annoying to always look after the watch, and still can't avoid the glass getting look damaged pretty fast.

Cheers
Dave

nadh3n
Paneristi
nadh3n
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 1:38 pm #12

It's obvious that these are not 'tool' or sports activity watches.

The minor wear and tear does not bother me

Portuguese Jubilee from 1993:

Portuguese Ref 200 from Y2K:

PAM 249 Cali from 2006:

PAM 372 2012:

Montreal, Canada

cosmicmike
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 2:25 pm #13

Oozes DNA and looks great all scratched up or touched up with some toothpaste or polywatch.

Big D
360, 232,372
If You Don't Go, You Can't Come Back.
RIP BBQ & Drew

mrpanerai
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 2:25 pm #14

Regarding all the positive feedback on the plexi glass we should mention, however, that these are reviews from pretty die-hard Panerai fans.

In my view, the vast majority of luxury watch fans would only buy saphire glass watches, due to the scratch resistance thing (you basically don't have to warry about scratches at all).

I had plexi watches myself and would never ever by one again! I felt it most annoying to always look after the watch, and still can't avoid the glass getting look damaged pretty fast.

Cheers
Dave
The true watch collector understands and appreciates plexi.

They value what it brings to a moderns wrist watch and that's

more valuable than scratch resistance.

BavarianDave
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 2:32 pm #15

... quite some comments here recently from true watch collector's that said they would prefer their pam 372 with sapphire glass.

Cheers
Dave

reduardo
Paneristi
reduardo
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 3:00 pm #16

which I've worn at least once weekly for 3 years or more now....not a scratch period on the Plexi. I'm sure it is prone to scratching, I guess I'm easy on watches. Personally, I can't imagine the 372 with a sapphire...the Plexi is just perfect IMO. Hope to own one...one day.

Cr4ig
Paneristi
Cr4ig
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 5:04 pm #17

Oozes DNA and looks great all scratched up or touched up with some toothpaste or polywatch.

Big D
360, 232,372
RIP BBQ & Drew
-Craig F

rioet
Paneristi
rioet
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 11:51 pm #18

Big D
360, 232,372
RIP BBQ & Drew

mrpanerai
Paneristi

August 7th, 2012, 6:05 pm #19

... quite some comments here recently from true watch collector's that said they would prefer their pam 372 with sapphire glass.

Cheers
Dave
Prefer and appreciate are two different things. I'm sure the are a number

of 372 owners that would prefer sapphire. With that said the N series

sold out. Jeager had no problem sell the Polaris with plexi and Omega

had no problem sell Moon watches with plexi even after the equiped

it with sapphire.

KerwinL
Paneristi
KerwinL
Paneristi

August 8th, 2012, 7:34 am #20

Big D
360, 232,372
RIP BBQ & Drew