Question of the decade? You could have any Panerai you want as long as .........

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Question of the decade? You could have any Panerai you want as long as .........

Kingsholm14
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 12:02 pm #1

You sever ties with any or all the friends you ever made on Paneristi. I'm mean any Panerai. Would you?

I'm betting not. That means to me that our forum is more meaningful than the product. It's interesting that when the forum just started there must have been a cross over point where the public decided that the actual watch was secondary in this process. I wonder when that point of conversion happened to you. So, it's not the new watch around the corner that keeps us here. It's what we have and the friendships that arose from what we have. That new grail isn't so important really.
We already have it IMHO.

Post your crossover watch that made you realize this forum is special.

My original was a 9A. My new friends "encouraged" the 63C. I knew then it was over !

tchoo
Paneristi
tchoo
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 12:14 pm #2

... nor a particular watch / cut off point etc

The "love of Panerai" and "friends on P.com" kinda morph together in my memory. The end result is spot on ... the friends made here mean a lot more to me than the watches themselves but I honestly can't pinpoint exactly when it happened.

What I can provide is an example of how it works in real life ... when I was getting my 2A (my first overseas transaction), it was one of my best risti bros (the one and only Godfuddah!) who helped facilitate as he was a friend of the seller (a real gent from France, no names mentioned LOL) and thanks to all these relationships, made here it was a highly pleasant process, not to mention another friend I made, from halfway around the world.

My 2A remains one of my favourite watches. So again, not sure where the "watch thing" ends and the "friends stuff" begins

Cheers!

TC

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 12:21 pm #3

You sever ties with any or all the friends you ever made on Paneristi. I'm mean any Panerai. Would you?

I'm betting not. That means to me that our forum is more meaningful than the product. It's interesting that when the forum just started there must have been a cross over point where the public decided that the actual watch was secondary in this process. I wonder when that point of conversion happened to you. So, it's not the new watch around the corner that keeps us here. It's what we have and the friendships that arose from what we have. That new grail isn't so important really.
We already have it IMHO.

My original was a 9A. My new friends "encouraged" the 63C. I knew then it was over !

My first was a 111 and I didn't understand why anyone would want a watch without a second hand. Here I learned the power of the base and now my entire collection is made up of bases Well there is more to the story...I got into Panerai in 2006 when I was only 22 years old and I bought my first Pam the year I got engaged because I had all thus money saved up for a ring and a honeymoon and it was my wedding gift to myself. At the time my expenses were low but when Danielle and I got married affording another Pam just wasn't in the cards that's why I took the leap before marriage. Money was pretty tight and if anything unexpected came up where the money would come from was a mystery, well something did and I had to sell my 111, I was so sad I had to sell it that I stopped thinking about watches and stopped coming to the forum. I convinced myself I would save up again and buy another Pam as soon as I could, saving wasn't as easy now being married but I sold some stuff and saved my pennies and decided that a Pam 000 would suit me this time around, plus it was the least expensive model and I just couldn't wait any longer. I even went to a gtg in NYC with no watch, met Cliffy, Luke, Neeraj, Mike, Eng and so many others, no one cared I didn't have a Pam on my wrist, in fact if you ask them today they probably wouldn't even remember that little detail

A few weeks later my 000 was on my wrist, and I've been able to add to my collection every year since then, which is great, but hey I can say I've been there, just give me a 000 and some m8s and I'll be fine

FattoAManoNJ
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 1:05 pm #4

We already have it IMHO.

But I can't imagine not speaking to many of the fine people I've met via this portal. My 1st GTG was in Princeton, NJ in 2005. I had a 4B in 2004 but wasn't engrained into the P.Com community. While in Princeton there were a few New Yorkers there, they invited me to the NYC gathering where I met N., Ned, Jay, Dan, Eng and many others. It's been downhill ever since, I find myself now crossing the Atlantic to swap beers, stories + camaraderie with many of the brotherhood I've been in contact over the years. Can't imagine how much better my life has been because of all the fine people I've met here.

T.

AurelioS
Paneristi
AurelioS
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 1:37 pm #5

We already have it IMHO.

I've amassed some great friends here. And because of them, I received a wonderful gift when my 1950 was stolen. And I wouldn't have had this, weren't it for the good friends.

So don't make me pick. Besides, my phone could never let you go, Pudi

Definitely a somewhat subtle way of asking about a man's character, no? There are many ways someone can show who they really are, or made of; via a $15 keyboard is certainly one.
Regardless of that, taking time to talk about times and how they're measured - makes for a great time

Peace, love and understanding ~
A.

That's how we roll...

mrpanerai
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 2:06 pm #6

We already have it IMHO.

Truth be told Paddy, I was having issues with OP already when the 360 debacle came along. I was feed up with this forum and OP. I sold my 111and walked away. I found another watch forum and made new friends.

A while later an old friend came to see me with his broken 88 that he couldn't afford to fix, so he gave it to me. When I strapped it on all the old memories of this place came rushing back. So in the true spirit of "Its more that just a watch" I had it fixed and gave it back. The watch meant the world to him and our friendship meant more to me than the watch. That's when I decided to come back.

The 88

[/IMG]

cosmicmike
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 2:09 pm #7

nt

Big D
360, 232,372
If You Don't Go, You Can't Come Back.
RIP BBQ & Drew

cosmicmike
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 2:12 pm #8

We already have it IMHO.

My first panny -- the 27A -- brought me to this forum and the kindness of some of the old-timers here solidified my passion.
So much more than just a watch...

Big D
360, 232,372
If You Don't Go, You Can't Come Back.
RIP BBQ & Drew

hugewhaleshark
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 2:32 pm #9

We already have it IMHO.

This would be the crossover point. Sorry not a crossover watch per se, Paddy.

TC: So, where do you live, Jimmy?
Jimmy: Clover Way
TC: Hey, I lived there in my childhood. Wait... don't tell me...
Jimmy: You're THAT Terence???
TC: You're THAT Jimmy???

Refer to:http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... ot%3B--%21

"Aiyah Panerai, buay beh liao eh lah." / Singapore
hugewhaleshark = Yeu Huan = SGRisti

mike2zero
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 3:00 pm #10

We already have it IMHO.

mike2zero
Portland, Oregon

AurelioS
Paneristi
AurelioS
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 3:02 pm #11

Truth be told Paddy, I was having issues with OP already when the 360 debacle came along. I was feed up with this forum and OP. I sold my 111and walked away. I found another watch forum and made new friends.

A while later an old friend came to see me with his broken 88 that he couldn't afford to fix, so he gave it to me. When I strapped it on all the old memories of this place came rushing back. So in the true spirit of "Its more that just a watch" I had it fixed and gave it back. The watch meant the world to him and our friendship meant more to me than the watch. That's when I decided to come back.

The 88

[/IMG]

But any story with an 88 in it, gets my vote

Seriously, great sentiment and always good to see you around

That's how we roll...

YetiBiker
Paneristi
YetiBiker
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 3:06 pm #12

The 88

[/IMG]

Well done!

emjay23
Paneristi
emjay23
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 3:23 pm #13

We already have it IMHO.

is when I realized that any Panerai watch will do as I have forged lasting friendships with some of the classiest men and women around. Shella showed me the door to Panerai and Paneristi, I'm glad she did after that the rest is history. I could lose all my Panerais as long as I keep the friends I've made here.

Great post Paddy.

rorrickj34
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 3:24 pm #14

The 88

[/IMG]

Excellent story Russell!! Good on ya! <nt>

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 3:50 pm #15

The 88

[/IMG]

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

snoballz
Paneristi
snoballz
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 4:07 pm #16

We already have it IMHO.

-luke

snoballz
Paneristi
snoballz
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 4:11 pm #17

I'd still stuck with BT.

I met Brad... hmmmm... he is almost 60 now and this was taken on his 40th.

In truth, it was circa 1999, when he had flocks like Farah.

Anyway I digress. Watches no matter how expensive, how exclusive, how prestigious, are just that... watches.

I met a whole lot of people locally in NY as well as around the globe through this site. Some are casual acquaintances but several have become close friends.

Oh yeah, this goofy bastid is still a great friend.

Guess I'll just wait to hit the lottery to get that 21.

-luke

FrankV1
Paneristi
FrankV1
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 5:12 pm #18

The 88

[/IMG]

Night View
Il Duomo Firenze

khaugh
Paneristi
khaugh
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 5:51 pm #19

We already have it IMHO.

I couldn't give up my friends here for a watch. I suppose my cross over watch is my first Panerai - my 112. I'm grateful for all that this brand has given me - the least of which is a watch.

Kev.

Adeeos
Paneristi
Adeeos
Paneristi

May 23rd, 2012, 7:47 pm #20

We already have it IMHO.

if so,,, then it IS,,,, "only a watch"....