Pre A: 6502 vs 6500:

Pre A: 6502 vs 6500:

tchoo
Paneristi
tchoo
Paneristi

December 21st, 2011, 12:34 pm #1

Hi!

The difference in case shape plus the rarity of the 6500 case means that 6500 pieces are more "valued" But just like to check if its a really big deal when looking for a Pre A piece?

We have had such a discussion among the SG ristis here (but I must admit, after a few pints of Brewerk's finest brews, I honestly can't remember the conclusion, haha!)

My strong personal view is I really need a mind blowingly awesome T dial, if I find a piece with such a dial, I can forgive a lot and the 6500 vs 6502 issue is very clearly of secondary importance to me.

What does everyone think? I notice in passing the huge premium of a 6500 piece vs 6502 but again I am setting it aside for the purpose of this discussion.

Thanks, and Asi, keep up the great work, bro. This forum rocks!

TC

OP201A
Paneristi
OP201A
Paneristi

December 21st, 2011, 12:49 pm #2

I would go for the dial as my 1st preferences before even looking at the case. Granted the OP6500 commands much higher price usually compare with a OP6502 but what is the point if the dial on that OP6500 is less fat and less yellow than one let's say in a OP6502, and yes some of the prices of OP6500 is getting close to the real PreV maybe that could be the answer and of course it is my personal opinion only

Cheers,
Tuscanii

TRISTAN29
Paneristi

December 21st, 2011, 1:03 pm #3

or patina. i have asked this questions before as i had a 9a before and i noticed the 9bt the dials is fatter and patina brighter,imo too.

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

December 21st, 2011, 1:29 pm #4

Hi!

The difference in case shape plus the rarity of the 6500 case means that 6500 pieces are more "valued" But just like to check if its a really big deal when looking for a Pre A piece?

We have had such a discussion among the SG ristis here (but I must admit, after a few pints of Brewerk's finest brews, I honestly can't remember the conclusion, haha!)

My strong personal view is I really need a mind blowingly awesome T dial, if I find a piece with such a dial, I can forgive a lot and the 6500 vs 6502 issue is very clearly of secondary importance to me.

What does everyone think? I notice in passing the huge premium of a 6500 piece vs 6502 but again I am setting it aside for the purpose of this discussion.

TC
My take has always been - if you're going to wear the watch, or better say wear it quite a lot, it makes more sense to go for the aesthetics such as numerals, patina etc. If you are talking about a collector grade watch, you may want to aim higher in terms of the rarity, completeness and conditions.

Cheers and best from the holyland,

~Asi~

<a href="http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h306/ ... d.jpg"></a>

tchoo
Paneristi
tchoo
Paneristi

December 21st, 2011, 1:46 pm #5

Hi!

TC
What I love about T dials is every one is different and, like taste in food, you tend to develop preferences over time. No right or wrong.

My strong preference is for a clean dial and hands, no imperfections as far as possible. For the markers, my grail watch is a 201a NM so I am guided by how yellow the markings are. The more yellow the better as far as I'm concerned. PVD is great as it accentuates the colour of the markings.

Given how hard is it to find a "strong' T dial, when I actually do stumble upon one, I forgive a lot of things. 6500 vs 6502 is one. The other one is, I firmly prefer the A vs BT but if the BT dial is excellent enough, its fine by me.

Just my 2 cts worth.

Cheers!

TC

Watchman1957
Paneristi

December 21st, 2011, 2:56 pm #6

Hi!

TC
Please the Pre A9 with a 6500 cseback is still hard to blow off.

covactanks
Paneristi

December 21st, 2011, 4:44 pm #7

Hi!

TC
......I don't think the subtle differences in the cases of the 6500 and the 6502 are significant enough for me to worry about which one I owned ........I'v been out the loop regards the pricing structure of pre-A's for a while and didnt realise there was a 'huge premium' on the 6500, over the 6502. In the early years of the pre-A's .....Is was ALL about the dial .....Not so much the case !!....That being said ........and reading between the lines of your post .....if you manage to snag a nice 6502 case ....you will,probably always have that nagging doubt in your mind ,saying .....'hmmmm....maybe I should have held out and stonked up a bit more cash for the 6500 to get 'the whole package'.....I know I would......and I know thats contradicting what I said in the first line of my post .....tough aint it ?

Looks like 'braggin' rights' of the 6500 might just edge it ?

'Last night what we talked about
It made so much sense
But now the haze has ascended
It don't make no sense anymore'

RIPBBQ
Last edited by covactanks on December 21st, 2011, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

covactanks
Paneristi

December 21st, 2011, 4:50 pm #8

What I love about T dials is every one is different and, like taste in food, you tend to develop preferences over time. No right or wrong.

My strong preference is for a clean dial and hands, no imperfections as far as possible. For the markers, my grail watch is a 201a NM so I am guided by how yellow the markings are. The more yellow the better as far as I'm concerned. PVD is great as it accentuates the colour of the markings.

Given how hard is it to find a "strong' T dial, when I actually do stumble upon one, I forgive a lot of things. 6500 vs 6502 is one. The other one is, I firmly prefer the A vs BT but if the BT dial is excellent enough, its fine by me.

Just my 2 cts worth.

Cheers!

TC
.....Your grail watch is the 201/A NM ....but if you like a FAT numbered T dial ......You probably won't get that with a NM Logo ......I'v never seen an NM with a FAT numbered dial ......However .......check this beauty out that Vanni posted below in another thread.......

http://www.network54.com/Forum/638808/m ... index+Logo

Thats what's called a curve ball
Still want an NM Logo ?

It made so much sense

RIPBBQ

covactanks
Paneristi

December 21st, 2011, 4:52 pm #9

Please the Pre A9 with a 6500 cseback is still hard to blow off.

x

It made so much sense

RIPBBQ

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

December 21st, 2011, 5:13 pm #10

......I don't think the subtle differences in the cases of the 6500 and the 6502 are significant enough for me to worry about which one I owned ........I'v been out the loop regards the pricing structure of pre-A's for a while and didnt realise there was a 'huge premium' on the 6500, over the 6502. In the early years of the pre-A's .....Is was ALL about the dial .....Not so much the case !!....That being said ........and reading between the lines of your post .....if you manage to snag a nice 6502 case ....you will,probably always have that nagging doubt in your mind ,saying .....'hmmmm....maybe I should have held out and stonked up a bit more cash for the 6500 to get 'the whole package'.....I know I would......and I know thats contradicting what I said in the first line of my post .....tough aint it ?

Looks like 'braggin' rights' of the 6500 might just edge it ?

It made so much sense

RIPBBQ
The 't hyphen' with crooked typography

You don't want any of those.

~Asi~

covactanks
Paneristi

December 21st, 2011, 5:50 pm #11

....couldnt work out whether it had lost its adhesion or somone had got half way thru removing it (perhaps to make it look like a 203/A) then thought better of it !!....you have a better memory than my wife Asi

It made so much sense

RIPBBQ

hawaiiantimer
Paneristi

December 21st, 2011, 6:27 pm #12

Hi!

TC
I like to have as much authentication as possible... Meaning complete with all relevant paperwork that is specific to the watch... COSC and sticker for Marina, and sticker for base...

Next, I'll look at the health of the tritium dial and hands... As clean and healthy as possible.

Fatty numbers trump pinners. IMHO anyhow...

Finally we get to the 6500 and 6502 debate... Would I love to own a 6500 PreA2? Sure!

But I also won't split hairs with an estimated 60/40 percentage split (or 65/35 if you prefer) in regards to 6502 vs. 6500.

There are literally only hundreds of these Pre-A pieces (Luminors I'm talking) that exist in the world. I'm posting from iPhone, but it's here...http://www.paneristi.com/reference/sort ... ation.html

How many of these are actually complete? What about condition of the case, glass, etc.? Is it a nice overall specimen?

We can see over the last 5 years how many complete healthy specimens are posted for sale... Especially the base PreA's.

NOT very often.

And certainly less often than Pre-V pieces...

If you find the right piece, be it 6502 or 6500... I say dance until you can't dance no more.

Please excuse any typos or redundancies.

Happy Holidays,

Greg

<a rel="nofollow"></a>

Watchman1957
Paneristi

December 22nd, 2011, 12:29 pm #13

Hi Greg,

So true about the hard to get Pre A9's anyway, I would love to find another as I truly beleive that they are definitely more rare than 201/A's and I fell that the price for a complete Pre A with a 6500 caseback would rival a 201/A almost in matching price.

And yes they should be complete as possible as you say Greg, especially with this little tag:

tchoo
Paneristi
tchoo
Paneristi

December 22nd, 2011, 2:10 pm #14

.....Your grail watch is the 201/A NM ....but if you like a FAT numbered T dial ......You probably won't get that with a NM Logo ......I'v never seen an NM with a FAT numbered dial ......However .......check this beauty out that Vanni posted below in another thread.......

http://www.network54.com/Forum/638808/m ... index+Logo

Thats what's called a curve ball
Still want an NM Logo ?

It made so much sense

RIPBBQ
And part of the charm that many of the older T dial pieces are unique

As you say, sometimes there is a killa exception to the rule. Its Panerai after all

To bring the discussion a bit forward, time-wise ... Most 2A or BT dials have significantly thinner markers than the 1A / BT but again I've seen one stupendous exception to the rule

Cheers, mate!

TC

panerimo
Paneristi
panerimo
Paneristi

December 22nd, 2011, 11:03 pm #15

Hi!

TC
For me this is the overall condition of the watch that should be important. As i want the watch to wear it and to last for a long long time, i prefer tritium dial and hands perfect when i get it.

Best Terence

tchoo
Paneristi
tchoo
Paneristi

December 23rd, 2011, 7:44 am #16

And I fully agree! Incidentally I am wearing one such piece now that fits the bill and which you're probably familiar with LOL (can't upload pic)

All the best to you this festive season, bro.

Cheers!

TC

gensiulia
Paneristi
gensiulia
Paneristi

December 23rd, 2011, 10:38 am #17

For me this is the overall condition of the watch that should be important. As i want the watch to wear it and to last for a long long time, i prefer tritium dial and hands perfect when i get it.

Best Terence

chris, italy.

nadelstern
Paneristi

December 23rd, 2011, 2:33 pm #18

Hi!

TC
The 6502 case is a PreA case. The 6500 case is a PreV case, some of which were left over to make PreA watches.

If I was buying a 201A, 202A, etc., I'd insist on a 6500 case. For a PreA watch, it doesn't matter to me whether Panerai used a PreV or a PreA case. Both are "authentic."

For PreA, the distinguishing feature is the dial. It's all about the dial!

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

December 23rd, 2011, 2:43 pm #19

The 201/A up to the 207/A cases are not the OP6500, they are different and from another case maker (Montres Valgine). The OP6500 cases were made in Italy by Coro.

~Asi~

nadelstern
Paneristi

December 23rd, 2011, 6:17 pm #20

Here's a link that sheds even more light:

http://www.paneristi.com/archives/PreA_ ... nerai.html