Panerai precious metal watches - a short history and debate

Panerai precious metal watches - a short history and debate

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

January 29th, 2012, 3:15 pm #1

SIHH 2012 marks Panerai's first use of 'Red Gold' or if you wish, Rose Gold 5N (relates to the % of copper in the gold alloy). I thought it would be a good idea to debate Panerai's use of precious metals. Good or bad move, do you like it or love it?

PAM 393 using 5N,

But first, a little history and summary.

The idea to use precious metals was already conceived in pre-V times in the mid 1990's. Discussions were held regarding gold and platinum watches and plans were set (also worthwhile to mention that titanium watches were also discussed and planned). Here is an excerpt from The 'Slytech Project' :

The above discusses production of a very limited series of 70 Slytech pieces in gold or platinum with special movements, that are to be the 'cutting edge' of the Slytech range.
While plans to produce precious-metal watches were only on paper, one special piece was produced on request of Sly - a PVD/Gold logo 201/A that was given as a gift to the Governator. Not realy 'solid gold'. but close to it....

Well, we all know the first SE in the Vendome era was the PAM 21 in 1997 which made use of a 47mm platinum case. Panerai would not return to use platinum until 3 years later with the PAM 65 and 77 in 2000. All commercial platinum models up to date were always done using the Radiomir case.

The use of Gold (WG) started in 1999. Both were 40mm, both SEs, one Luminor and one Radiomir. PAM 00045 Luminor in 100 pcs. housed a FP chrono and PAM 00046 Radiomir in 60 pcs. housed a GP GMT/Alarm.

While the use of WG was picking up and saw quite a few 40mm and 42mm Rads with special movements, the first use of RG/PG was in 2001 with the introduction of the PAM 103, 40mm Rad (Zenith 680) and 3 other diamond-set 40mm Rads (FP 1153), PAM 100,101 and 102 (while the pics may look as leaning towards YG, they were listed as PG). The concept at this point was very clear; Precious metal deserve a special movement and case size remains relatively small.

Enter PAM 140, aka 'the Ingot'. In 2002 Panerai surprised everyone with the introduction of the first YG Panerai and what an entrance. No more small cases with special movements. This cult watch was big (44mm Luminor case), heavy and housed a regular Valjoux 7750 OPIII. The 140 was produced for 5 years with a total of 1860 pcs (1870 if we consider the 10 pieces non CF dial made for the Greek AD, Kessaris, in 2003 (PAM 175). Worth mentioning is the WG brother, PAM 180, introduced in 2004.

Worthwhile to mention 'special watches' when discussing precious metal -

Smallest gold case made - PAMs 144 and 145, diamond set Rads in PG and WG, 38mm.

Largest gold case available - PAM 365 EOT Tourbillon at 50mm, available on request in WG or PG. Not sure if anyone was actually made yet,,,,

Largest gold cases made - RG - Radiomir 48mm, PAMs 325 and 330, Tourbillon GMT

YG - Luminor Sub 47mm, one piece made for Sly, PAM 269

WG -Radiomir 47mm Cali dial, PAM 376

Most expensive list price - While speculations over list of the PAM 365 EOT in PG/WG reaching $280K, the confirmed most expensive list price would be the PAM 77 Platinum Radiomir housing the famous GP 'Tourbillon/3 bridges' movement. List price was 200K Euros.

That concludes a short summary,,,,so what say you? are you a goldmember?

Cheers and best from the holyland,

~Asi~

<a href="http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h306/ ... d.jpg"></a>

Gu5h
Paneristi
Gu5h
Paneristi

January 29th, 2012, 4:14 pm #2

as a sign of wealth, showing commitment and for security of investment etc,.

Increasingly the nations where it is culturally revered are growing at a faster rate economically than the rest of the world so will definitely see more models in precious metals in the future as the market forces dictate the NPD regardless of the DNA : ))

Interesting to note that there was this discussion in the PreV era and lovin that gold 201a : )) which creates a whole new debate about precious metals and their relationship to the DNA of Panerai.

I think that Panerai in precious metals actually work very well. I love my 140 and wear it often. Love the new Red Gold also - just feels crisper and a little colder than the previous RG.

I also heard a rumour that some nutter made a gold bracelet for a 140........ but that’s another story, right ; ))

GUSH

Ken-Ho
Paneristi
Ken-Ho
Paneristi

January 29th, 2012, 4:43 pm #3

SIHH 2012 marks Panerai's first use of 'Red Gold' or if you wish, Rose Gold 5N (relates to the % of copper in the gold alloy). I thought it would be a good idea to debate Panerai's use of precious metals. Good or bad move, do you like it or love it?

PAM 393 using 5N,

The idea to use precious metals was already conceived in pre-V times in the mid 1990's. Discussions were held regarding gold and platinum watches and plans were set (also worthwhile to mention that titanium watches were also discussed and planned). Here is an excerpt from The 'Slytech Project' :

The above discusses production of a very limited series of 70 Slytech pieces in gold or platinum with special movements, that are to be the 'cutting edge' of the Slytech range.
While plans to produce precious-metal watches were only on paper, one special piece was produced on request of Sly - a PVD/Gold logo 201/A that was given as a gift to the Governator. Not realy 'solid gold'. but close to it....

Well, we all know the first SE in the Vendome era was the PAM 21 in 1997 which made use of a 47mm platinum case. Panerai would not return to use platinum until 3 years later with the PAM 65 and 77 in 2000. All commercial platinum models up to date were always done using the Radiomir case.

The use of Gold (WG) started in 1999. Both were 40mm, both SEs, one Luminor and one Radiomir. PAM 00045 Luminor in 100 pcs. housed a FP chrono and PAM 00046 Radiomir in 60 pcs. housed a GP GMT/Alarm.

While the use of WG was picking up and saw quite a few 40mm and 42mm Rads with special movements, the first use of RG/PG was in 2001 with the introduction of the PAM 103, 40mm Rad (Zenith 680) and 3 other diamond-set 40mm Rads (FP 1153), PAM 100,101 and 102 (while the pics may look as leaning towards YG, they were listed as PG). The concept at this point was very clear; Precious metal deserve a special movement and case size remains relatively small.

Enter PAM 140, aka 'the Ingot'. In 2002 Panerai surprised everyone with the introduction of the first YG Panerai and what an entrance. No more small cases with special movements. This cult watch was big (44mm Luminor case), heavy and housed a regular Valjoux 7750 OPIII. The 140 was produced for 5 years with a total of 1860 pcs (1870 if we consider the 10 pieces non CF dial made for the Greek AD, Kessaris, in 2003 (PAM 175). Worth mentioning is the WG brother, PAM 180, introduced in 2004.

Smallest gold case made - PAMs 144 and 145, diamond set Rads in PG and WG, 38mm.

Largest gold case available - PAM 365 EOT Tourbillon at 50mm, available on request in WG or PG. Not sure if anyone was actually made yet,,,,

Most expensive list price - While speculations over list of the PAM 365 EOT in PG/WG reaching $280K, the confirmed most expensive list price would be the PAM 77 Platinum Radiomir housing the famous GP 'Tourbillon/3 bridges' movement. List price was 200K Euros.

~Asi~

And with the 1950 cases coming on stream, the RG brings out the elegance of the case, imho.

I like them in RG in any cases and YG for Luminor cases.

Cheers,

Ken

~Live Life To The Fullest~

Alessi156
Paneristi
Alessi156
Paneristi

January 29th, 2012, 5:23 pm #4

PAM 393 using 5N,

~Asi~

Can't say I am a fan. I understand why they do it, namely for the increased profit. Does it fit in with what I consider Panerai to be? No. But each to their own.

While the discussion in Pre-V Panerai is interesting, I personally do not think it can support an argument that precious metals can be properly considered to be part of Panerai's DNA. Firstly, because there are no vintage model I am aware of that were produced in precious metals. In addition, I personally see the pre-v era as re-interpreation by Panerai of its own history, so would question whether or not a Pre-v precious metal Panerai would make precious metals part of the company's DNA .

Secondly, it was never actually produced ( I don' think the PVD goal watch for Stallone can properly count).This is an important fact. In my view, the mere discussion about producing something doesn't mean it becomes part of that company's history. Therefore, the discussion about extending the Slytech line to include precious metal was probably no more than attempt for Panerai to increase it profit by combing the Slytech name with a precious metal watch.

Should Panerai produce precious metal watches? If it means they can use the increased profit to subsidise the historic line, why not.

mnm222876
Paneristi

January 29th, 2012, 8:48 pm #5

as a sign of wealth, showing commitment and for security of investment etc,.

Increasingly the nations where it is culturally revered are growing at a faster rate economically than the rest of the world so will definitely see more models in precious metals in the future as the market forces dictate the NPD regardless of the DNA : ))

Interesting to note that there was this discussion in the PreV era and lovin that gold 201a : )) which creates a whole new debate about precious metals and their relationship to the DNA of Panerai.

I think that Panerai in precious metals actually work very well. I love my 140 and wear it often. Love the new Red Gold also - just feels crisper and a little colder than the previous RG.

I also heard a rumour that some nutter made a gold bracelet for a 140........ but that’s another story, right ; ))

GUSH
...nutter's gold bracelet again?

That's the most epic thing I've ever seen on this site.

Max / Seattle

patrick-belgium
Paneristi

January 29th, 2012, 9:51 pm #6

PAM 393 using 5N,

~Asi~

I got my 289 GMT

I have this one since 2008 and believe it or not it must be one of my best keepers in the Panerai collection that I have

what's not to like about this beautifull rose gold GMT

unfortunately these gold pieces don't hold specifically good value on the market, so it's important to get a decent discount IMO, unless you gonna keep it for the rest of you live,

this is what makes me hesitate on a decession I'll have to make this upcoming week, my AD had a 376
white gold LE on hold for me but since the Cali dial has been milked out a bit since last weeks SIHH
I'm not sure that it's worth all the money ..... so guys let me know what you think , yes or no

here's a quick mobile phone shot i took yesterday at the AD

P@trick

____________s����ss.__.ss���������ss.
____________�����������������������s.
_____________������������������������s
_____________������������������O�����s
____________s���������������������s������s
___________s�����������������������������'
__________s�����������������'
__________��������������';;;;;;;;;;;;;
_________s�����������'
________s���������
________�������'
________�����'
________����'
________���'
________���
________����ssss
______s�����������s,
_____s����������'
____�������'
___�

mirador
Paneristi
mirador
Paneristi

January 29th, 2012, 9:56 pm #7

PAM 393 using 5N,

~Asi~

But my interest rests more with metals that are complement the DNA, tantalum is a good example, it's hard, reistant to corrosion and is inert, what btter material for a tool watch. Interestingly enough, tantalum is often used as a substitute for platinum, which has similar properties being a noble metal.

However, gold for me should be used sparingly by Panerai, and perhaps should be limited to special models with nice movements like the Independent and Zerograph.

Tungsten anyone ?

Serva Tempa

Joseph56
Paneristi
Joseph56
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 1:26 am #8

PAM 393 using 5N,

~Asi~

I like the idea of various metals. Why is everyone crazy for bronze right now? Think of the difference Ti has made for the brand. The classic case shape seems ideal to me to try materials other than SS. Love to have a "base" in gold. 379, 231 look great to me. Love to own one as a special occasion watch. A 111 in RG would look really sweet to me.

Just living the dream waiting for the next PAM

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 5:01 am #9

...nutter's gold bracelet again?

That's the most epic thing I've ever seen on this site.

Max / Seattle
I've been threatened to be sued by a few members who suffered from various symptoms of heart failure, after viewing those pics.

~Asi~

civic4982
Paneristi
civic4982
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 5:38 am #10

PAM 393 using 5N,

~Asi~

And less bling please...

That is all.

mnm222876
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 7:34 am #11

I've been threatened to be sued by a few members who suffered from various symptoms of heart failure, after viewing those pics.

~Asi~

Send me the pics? I'm getting withdrawals just thinking about 'em!

Max / Seattle

mox1981
Paneristi
mox1981
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 9:39 am #12

PAM 393 using 5N,

~Asi~

336. 378 and 439...

in fact, i'm hoping to get a 439 as (from the pics at least) the faux patina on the markers seem to match the red gold case quite well.

Cheers
Moses

zameenzahari
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 9:58 am #13

PAM 393 using 5N,

~Asi~

In YG or RG..but I make one exception - that 140 is one handsome piece indeed!! Maybe it's the CF dial that tones it down a notch.

TRISTAN29
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 12:58 pm #14

PAM 393 using 5N,

~Asi~

Thanks Asi. another good knowledge info for me.

tchoo
Paneristi
tchoo
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 2:31 pm #15

PAM 393 using 5N,

~Asi~

Another awesome post. Learn something new every time I check out your forum

Thanks bro

TC

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 5:12 pm #16

Send me the pics? I'm getting withdrawals just thinking about 'em!

Max / Seattle

~Asi~

996TTx50
Paneristi
996TTx50
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 10:26 pm #17

PAM 393 using 5N,

~Asi~

I have very mixed feelings about precious metal PAMs.

On the one hand, precious metals are arguably antithetical to Panerai’s original DNA. The Italian Navy never ordered any gold or platinum watches for their divers. The notion of a precious metal military/tool/utility watch seems rather oxymoronic. On the other hand, Panerai cannot limit itself to its original DNA. Rather, in order to survive, the company must broaden its horizons and expand its designs. In this regard, I embrace many of Panerai’s recent advances and evolutions, regardless of the lack of strict adherence to historical roots.

While on the subject of precious metal PAMs, I strongly believe that Panerai has to be careful how it brings these models to market in relationship to stainless steel versions. There is no denying that the availability of a nearly identical version of the same watch in SS reduces the demand for, and therefore devalues, the precious metal version. Given this economic reality, I personally believe that, if Panerai intends to make SS and precious metal versions of the same watch, they should introduce the SS version first or contemporaneously with the precious metal version, so that buyers of the precious metal version know up front that **** version exists. This way, purchasers of the precious metal versions have all the facts in advance of their purchase, so that they can make an informed decision about the significant expenditure and associated downside exposure. Don’t get me wrong, I am not suggesting that Panerais should be purchased as investments, nor that the risk of declining values should control purchasing decisions. That being said, there are very few watches that are kept forever. History tells us that, no matter how much we love a watch in the beginning, there is a substantial likelihood that we will ultimately sell it to fund a new grail. Therefore, even though watches are not investments, we nevertheless purchase with a recognition that we will likely sell at some point. In that regard, we are entitled to have the facts upfront.

This is not a novel concept. Car manufacturers introduce base models first, before the specialty models that look the same/similar to the base model. By way of example, Audi introduced the 8 cylinder R8 before the 10 cylinder version. Corvette introduces its base model before the Z06. Yes, I recognize that companies do this in part to get purchasers of base models to upgrade to subsequently released specialty models. That being said, how do you think F599 purchasers would respond if, a year after paying $300k+ for their limited edition, unique looking F599, Ferrari introduced a car using the exact same body as an F599, except with a 6 cylinder engine and lesser quality interior details, sold it for $100,000, and flooded the market with the new model. The 6 cylinder model would unquestionably devalue the F599, and many F599 owners would be hopping mad.

When introducing both precious metal and SS versions of the same watch, Panerai has historically introduced them simultaneously, or the SS version first, then the precious metal version. By way of example, the 249 and 262 were introduced concurrently, and the 376 years after the 249. The 190 and 198 were introduced concurrently. Same for this year's 399 amd 398. The 289 was introduced long after the 233. As previously stated, introducing the SS version first, or both SS and precious metal versions concurrently, is important because the purchaser of the precious metal version knows upfront that **** version is available and may impact the price of his precious metal version. The information is available in advance.

The 21 / 232 relationship is, IMHO, very different for several reasons. Most importantly, the 21 is profoundly different from the 232. The 21 has several incredibly unique characteristics, including most importantly the vintage Rolex movement and first special edition status, etc. (doesn't the 21 also have tritium markers?). The two watches are so vastly different that the 232 never threatened to devalue the 21. Moreover, the two watches were introduced over ten years apart.

In 2012, Panerai deviated from this model by introducing the 449 AND 425 one year after the 373. On the other hand, without getting into details, I praise and commend Panerai for how it handled certain issues that arose from this convergence of events.

Regards,

Craig LA

"There are three types of people in the world -- those who can count, and those who can't." ~Warren Buffet

kftman
Paneristi
kftman
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 10:48 pm #18

I got my 289 GMT

I have this one since 2008 and believe it or not it must be one of my best keepers in the Panerai collection that I have

what's not to like about this beautifull rose gold GMT

unfortunately these gold pieces don't hold specifically good value on the market, so it's important to get a decent discount IMO, unless you gonna keep it for the rest of you live,

this is what makes me hesitate on a decession I'll have to make this upcoming week, my AD had a 376
white gold LE on hold for me but since the Cali dial has been milked out a bit since last weeks SIHH
I'm not sure that it's worth all the money ..... so guys let me know what you think , yes or no

here's a quick mobile phone shot i took yesterday at the AD

P@trick

____________s����ss.__.ss���������ss.
____________�����������������������s.
_____________������������������������s
_____________������������������O�����s
____________s���������������������s������s
___________s�����������������������������'
__________s�����������������'
__________��������������';;;;;;;;;;;;;
_________s�����������'
________s���������
________�������'
________�����'
________����'
________���'
________���
________����ssss
______s�����������s,
_____s����������'
____�������'
___�

And, yes, I bought one. None of the 2012 Cali dial watches have gold hands or that fantastic brown-colored dial.

____
MK
______
Mark K

Gu5h
Paneristi
Gu5h
Paneristi

January 30th, 2012, 11:04 pm #19

~Asi~

GUSH

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

February 1st, 2012, 3:01 pm #20

I have very mixed feelings about precious metal PAMs.

On the one hand, precious metals are arguably antithetical to Panerai’s original DNA. The Italian Navy never ordered any gold or platinum watches for their divers. The notion of a precious metal military/tool/utility watch seems rather oxymoronic. On the other hand, Panerai cannot limit itself to its original DNA. Rather, in order to survive, the company must broaden its horizons and expand its designs. In this regard, I embrace many of Panerai’s recent advances and evolutions, regardless of the lack of strict adherence to historical roots.

While on the subject of precious metal PAMs, I strongly believe that Panerai has to be careful how it brings these models to market in relationship to stainless steel versions. There is no denying that the availability of a nearly identical version of the same watch in SS reduces the demand for, and therefore devalues, the precious metal version. Given this economic reality, I personally believe that, if Panerai intends to make SS and precious metal versions of the same watch, they should introduce the SS version first or contemporaneously with the precious metal version, so that buyers of the precious metal version know up front that **** version exists. This way, purchasers of the precious metal versions have all the facts in advance of their purchase, so that they can make an informed decision about the significant expenditure and associated downside exposure. Don’t get me wrong, I am not suggesting that Panerais should be purchased as investments, nor that the risk of declining values should control purchasing decisions. That being said, there are very few watches that are kept forever. History tells us that, no matter how much we love a watch in the beginning, there is a substantial likelihood that we will ultimately sell it to fund a new grail. Therefore, even though watches are not investments, we nevertheless purchase with a recognition that we will likely sell at some point. In that regard, we are entitled to have the facts upfront.

This is not a novel concept. Car manufacturers introduce base models first, before the specialty models that look the same/similar to the base model. By way of example, Audi introduced the 8 cylinder R8 before the 10 cylinder version. Corvette introduces its base model before the Z06. Yes, I recognize that companies do this in part to get purchasers of base models to upgrade to subsequently released specialty models. That being said, how do you think F599 purchasers would respond if, a year after paying $300k+ for their limited edition, unique looking F599, Ferrari introduced a car using the exact same body as an F599, except with a 6 cylinder engine and lesser quality interior details, sold it for $100,000, and flooded the market with the new model. The 6 cylinder model would unquestionably devalue the F599, and many F599 owners would be hopping mad.

When introducing both precious metal and SS versions of the same watch, Panerai has historically introduced them simultaneously, or the SS version first, then the precious metal version. By way of example, the 249 and 262 were introduced concurrently, and the 376 years after the 249. The 190 and 198 were introduced concurrently. Same for this year's 399 amd 398. The 289 was introduced long after the 233. As previously stated, introducing the SS version first, or both SS and precious metal versions concurrently, is important because the purchaser of the precious metal version knows upfront that **** version is available and may impact the price of his precious metal version. The information is available in advance.

The 21 / 232 relationship is, IMHO, very different for several reasons. Most importantly, the 21 is profoundly different from the 232. The 21 has several incredibly unique characteristics, including most importantly the vintage Rolex movement and first special edition status, etc. (doesn't the 21 also have tritium markers?). The two watches are so vastly different that the 232 never threatened to devalue the 21. Moreover, the two watches were introduced over ten years apart.

In 2012, Panerai deviated from this model by introducing the 449 AND 425 one year after the 373. On the other hand, without getting into details, I praise and commend Panerai for how it handled certain issues that arose from this convergence of events.

Regards,

Craig LA

"There are three types of people in the world -- those who can count, and those who can't." ~Warren Buffet

just one point to raise is the competitive landscape. You have to face it, Panerai is in the Luxury-Sport watch market and you cannot ignore what the competition is doing. Funny how we always think Rolex, but when I asked Sig. Bonati in 2007 who he considers to be Panerai's biggest competitor, the answer was IWC.

~Asi~