Panerai goes eXtreme! SUB-ZERO mountains trek with my BASE (pics, Semi OT)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Panerai goes eXtreme! SUB-ZERO mountains trek with my BASE (pics, Semi OT)

PiterM
Paneristi
PiterM
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 10:16 am #1

I'm just back from the mountains so I thought I'd share couple of pictures from my trip. To make it more Panerai related let me say that my BASE was with me and it was my official time-keeping device:

So here we go - trekking in sub-zero environment. Snow, ice, cold, mountains around... sounds perfect! Well, almost, as the weather was quite severe! My ProTrek went out of scale two days before. And there was -25 deg C when I woke up in the morning at 0500 AM. The pressure was quite high, so no risk of heavy snowfall. good day for a trip!

I had some SERIOUS climbing plan. However when I entered the snow area I found some signs like this:

So I adapted my plan in line with this very kind piece of advice. You know, I got wife, kids... I can take some risk but not such extreme risk. People die in avalanches every year in Tatra mountains. So I took an alternative route, which was a bit safer but still cool and demanding. Of course I wouldn't do it without proper mountaineering equipment:

And now some pictures of my trek. As you can see the lighting conditions were quite hard - some clouds around and low sun, freezing cold etc. so don't expecty colorful pictures - just reality:

And one of my favorite shelters, which I was luckily able to access that day:

Inside - hot coffee! Finally! The best coffee I had this Winter

This is the place, where you can always find some pro-climbers discussing gear & methods:

It gets dark quite early in the Winter... My Panerai says: "time to go back!"

Meteo station and old metal cross (which reminds everyone that it's not the safest place, especially in the Winter)

And view from "Betlejemka", which is legendary Polish climbing training center - small, old, wooden shelter, right in the middle of the mountains. And also some other views on the way back...

And this is the end. Cheers!

P

amanda_melb
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 10:40 am #2

Your photos of the beautiful snowy Tatra mountains are just gorgeous! Not only are you a great trekker, you are also a wonderful photographer. Thanks for taking us on your journey.

I'm happy to see a Poland related post anytime!

hongT
Paneristi
hongT
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 10:58 am #3

I'm just back from the mountains so I thought I'd share couple of pictures from my trip. To make it more Panerai related let me say that my BASE was with me and it was my official time-keeping device:

So here we go - trekking in sub-zero environment. Snow, ice, cold, mountains around... sounds perfect! Well, almost, as the weather was quite severe! My ProTrek went out of scale two days before. And there was -25 deg C when I woke up in the morning at 0500 AM. The pressure was quite high, so no risk of heavy snowfall. good day for a trip!

I had some SERIOUS climbing plan. However when I entered the snow area I found some signs like this:

So I adapted my plan in line with this very kind piece of advice. You know, I got wife, kids... I can take some risk but not such extreme risk. People die in avalanches every year in Tatra mountains. So I took an alternative route, which was a bit safer but still cool and demanding. Of course I wouldn't do it without proper mountaineering equipment:

And now some pictures of my trek. As you can see the lighting conditions were quite hard - some clouds around and low sun, freezing cold etc. so don't expecty colorful pictures - just reality:

This is the place, where you can always find some pro-climbers discussing gear & methods:

Meteo station and old metal cross (which reminds everyone that it's not the safest place, especially in the Winter)

And view from "Betlejemka", which is legendary Polish climbing training center - small, old, wooden shelter, right in the middle of the mountains. And also some other views on the way back...

P
Great pitorial!! TFS

Cheers
HongT

PAM1A
Paneristi
PAM1A
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 11:19 am #4

P
Thorsten

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 12:04 pm #5

P
<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

jimmer71
Paneristi
jimmer71
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 12:44 pm #6

P
you must really love your T.A.D. gear

-Jimmer

steveroadking
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 12:58 pm #7

P
Great post Piter. Wonderful photos.
Adventure ON!

"Life's an adventure, you might as well wear a Panerai"
Steve (steveroadking)

Richardson Hwy, Valdez, Alaska-- The Brooks Range via Dalton Hwy Alaska--Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse Arctic Ocean Alaska--Dawson Cr, Mile Marker '0' Alaska Canadian Hwy Alberta Canada--Yukon Territory, Al Can Highway--Crossing the Yukon River via The George Black Ferry from Dawson City--Poker Creek, population 2, furthest northern border crossing in Alaska. The Forty Mile River Region/Top Of The World Highway

Grapesape
Paneristi
Grapesape
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 1:01 pm #8

P
Your pictures are just as nice as your straps. Excited to get your strap!!

RMRPR
Paneristi
RMRPR
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 1:13 pm #9

P
Very impressive post Piter, thanks for sharing!!!!

Chye
Paneristi
Chye
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 1:19 pm #10

P

YetiBiker
Paneristi
YetiBiker
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 1:27 pm #11

P
Wow! Amazing photos. Thank you so much for sharing!

fullcourt1
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 1:28 pm #12

P

dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

Confunktion
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 1:30 pm #13

P
Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos and story

Cheers,

-TLG

MatZat
Paneristi
MatZat
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 2:15 pm #14

P
Thanks for sharing!

cosmicmike
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 2:20 pm #15

P
nt

Big D
360,27, 112, 232
If You Don't Go, You Can't Come Back.
RIP BBQ & Drew

patStc
Paneristi
patStc
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 2:40 pm #16

P
Thats some adventure thanks

DaleArden
Paneristi
DaleArden
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 2:44 pm #17

P
nt

zameenzahari
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 2:50 pm #18

P

EdouardG
Paneristi
EdouardG
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 2:52 pm #19

P
nt

EdouardG
Toulouse, France

limcungwei
Paneristi
limcungwei
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 3:05 pm #20

P
Love to see this kind of post and thanks for sharing.
Wonderful photos too...