Panerai 6152-1 Marina Militare sold today at Phillips

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Panerai 6152-1 Marina Militare sold today at Phillips

nadavgalimidi
Paneristi

October 27th, 2017, 3:01 am #1

For a measly 85K. ($106,250 out the door) Comparing to a Christie's 2013 result of ~$265,800 for a similar watch.
The 6152 sold within 54 seconds. Probably the saddest lot in the entire sale. 2 1/2 bidders. (two bidders vs. the book...). Almost zero interest and/or excitement...

Grim result for the 3646 Cali dial as well at 60K... (75K out the door)

While a 1016 Explorer sold for 40K

A Heuer Monaco for 42.5K

And a Tudor 7032 for a hair under 119K...

I wonder if Panerai is going to post today's auction results on their website like they proudly did back in 2014....

I'm guessing the answer is no...

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

October 27th, 2017, 3:13 am #2

than the other two, but don't think Panerai cares anymore. Past is the past and all they care about is what's ahead

They're pretty much damaged the value of older models by recreating modern versions and latest is the Mare which is close to an exact copy which I'm sure will hurt the values of the older models.

Like my two watches, but have no interest in acquiring any more

DON

nadavgalimidi
Paneristi

October 27th, 2017, 3:32 am #3

Vintage Panerai value (and the brand's value as a whole) was not damaged by re-creation of vintage pieces...

Omega also made a 60th Anniversary 2915-1 Speedy re-edition (almost a 1:1 copy), and just yesterday a real vintage 2915-1 sold for a record $275,000..

I am copying your last statement because it is true for me as well:

"Like my two watches, but have no interest in acquiring any more"

Sandyz
Paneristi
Sandyz
Paneristi

October 27th, 2017, 9:28 am #4

For a measly 85K. ($106,250 out the door) Comparing to a Christie's 2013 result of ~$265,800 for a similar watch.
The 6152 sold within 54 seconds. Probably the saddest lot in the entire sale. 2 1/2 bidders. (two bidders vs. the book...). Almost zero interest and/or excitement...

A Heuer Monaco for 42.5K

I wonder if Panerai is going to post today's auction results on their website like they proudly did back in 2014....

On a downturn these days as it seems from the auction result and it's primarily due to the company's greed and some qc issues imho

CarsandChronos
Paneristi

October 27th, 2017, 11:08 am #5

A Heuer Monaco for 42.5K

As someone who has followed the brand for almost two decades, I think it's fair to say that Panerai hit a pick a few years ago. These vintage pieces are not , in my opinion, representative of the brand as a whole. How many people are actually bidding on a piece like that? Maybe a couple dozen, and now it's only a couple? Rather small sample size.
Also, It always amazes me how people like to buy something at its peak...stay away from stocks if that is your mentality. Lol
In my opinion, if you desire a vintage Panerai piece, now might be a time to start looking to buy. On the other hand, I would run like hell from anything vintage Rolex. The market is flooded with inventory in most cases and the prices simply don't make sense . Wait for the fall of the Rolex market, which in my opinion is surely coming.
To each their own but I prefer to buy things on sale, and I certainly don't let the habits of others dictate what I like to wear.

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

October 27th, 2017, 11:53 am #6

Vintage Panerai value (and the brand's value as a whole) was not damaged by re-creation of vintage pieces...

Omega also made a 60th Anniversary 2915-1 Speedy re-edition (almost a 1:1 copy), and just yesterday a real vintage 2915-1 sold for a record $275,000..

I am copying your last statement because it is true for me as well:

"Like my two watches, but have no interest in acquiring any more"
Yes the Omega sold for a lot, but very rare, so a recreation isn't going to affect the value when your talking 275K vs. $7200

Now a $9K new vs. $15K Mare is another story

Would you pay the extra $6k est. For a 20 year old watch over a brand new with warranty for almost an identical model?

DON

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

October 27th, 2017, 12:16 pm #7

As someone who has followed the brand for almost two decades, I think it's fair to say that Panerai hit a pick a few years ago. These vintage pieces are not , in my opinion, representative of the brand as a whole. How many people are actually bidding on a piece like that? Maybe a couple dozen, and now it's only a couple? Rather small sample size.
Also, It always amazes me how people like to buy something at its peak...stay away from stocks if that is your mentality. Lol
In my opinion, if you desire a vintage Panerai piece, now might be a time to start looking to buy. On the other hand, I would run like hell from anything vintage Rolex. The market is flooded with inventory in most cases and the prices simply don't make sense . Wait for the fall of the Rolex market, which in my opinion is surely coming.
To each their own but I prefer to buy things on sale, and I certainly don't let the habits of others dictate what I like to wear.
Is $42k for a Monaco and $118k for a freaking Tudor. I mean really?

CarsandChronos
Paneristi

October 27th, 2017, 1:27 pm #8

The vintage market is extremely volatile and is usually propped up by a handful of individuals. When their taste or flavor changes, and the bottom drops out and something else becomes hot . The case of Rolex is really interesting because most of these "vintage" subs and GMT were produced in the hundreds of thousands.
I tend to just keep my head down, chuckle, buy what I like, and look at things like real estate and stocks for my investments... not watches

mlcdmd
Paneristi
mlcdmd
Paneristi

October 27th, 2017, 1:43 pm #9

A Heuer Monaco for 42.5K

that's crazy...i love how whoever bid second jumped it right into big boy territory!!

Mike C, 312 NYC

tsunami2000
Paneristi

October 27th, 2017, 2:25 pm #10

A Heuer Monaco for 42.5K

Priced go up and down based upon tastes when dealing with antique or scarce items.

Nothing goes up forever and if you're looking at watches as an investment vehicle, I have some land to sell you.

NoahD
Paneristi
NoahD
Paneristi

October 27th, 2017, 3:05 pm #11

A Heuer Monaco for 42.5K

The craze for vintage Panerai has waned for sure, but it was way too damn high, so how could it be sustainable.

Now, vintage Heuer and vintage Tudor are going bananas. The prices those are getting right now are nuts, and in five years I would guess they won't hold that. I mean..... it's all personal preference, but to me that Heuer is ugly AF.

My guess is that there are a small group of influential collectors working with auction houses to drive these prices to insane levels, the same way they do in the art world. I love vintage watches, but even if I was a billionaire, I'm not paying over a hundred grand for a beat up old Tudor.

Of course I'd pay 20 million for anything Paul Newman wore though. Paul Newman's tighty whiteys?

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

October 27th, 2017, 3:22 pm #12

Couple reasons based on my jaded observations: Tag today is a mall watch. It's not looked upon with excited tones, and it shouldn't. Conversely, Tudor is effectively the millennial's Rolex, and similarly lacks provenance -- I don't care who the parent company is. In fact, to me it hurts the brand as an aspirational piece to settle for. For these reasons, I think the vintage stuff that came out 40 years ago is overvalued, because it isn't watered down by what those brands became over time.

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

October 27th, 2017, 5:03 pm #13

Both names created on or about 1926. Although Rolex did have the better movements and case designs. Would people still feel the same way about if James Bond didn't wear one and chose a Tudor instead?

The older Tudor sub 7928 models are pretty equal in value if not more than the 5513 models of the same year

Same for Heuer. It's value was damaged by the purchase by Tag and turned into a junk watch, but the original Heuer models were popular and highly collected and some people associate certain nmodels with popular race car drivers.

Could be that model had a dial design produced for a short time. The Tudor. Again another short time production design.

Collectors of everything and some know more than others. What means little to some means a lot to others

DON

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

October 28th, 2017, 2:28 am #14

A Heuer Monaco for 42.5K

It's almost like you're trolling, complete with emojis, baited statements and everything.

Gregesq
Paneristi
Gregesq
Paneristi

October 28th, 2017, 4:00 pm #15

#Evergreen nt

Antonyuk
Paneristi
Antonyuk
Paneristi

October 29th, 2017, 10:22 pm #16

A Heuer Monaco for 42.5K

You cant say measly 85k! Measly compared to paul newman but stil crazy money!

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

October 30th, 2017, 12:12 am #17

Both names created on or about 1926. Although Rolex did have the better movements and case designs. Would people still feel the same way about if James Bond didn't wear one and chose a Tudor instead?

The older Tudor sub 7928 models are pretty equal in value if not more than the 5513 models of the same year

Same for Heuer. It's value was damaged by the purchase by Tag and turned into a junk watch, but the original Heuer models were popular and highly collected and some people associate certain nmodels with popular race car drivers.

Could be that model had a dial design produced for a short time. The Tudor. Again another short time production design.

Collectors of everything and some know more than others. What means little to some means a lot to others

DON
The issue is what the brand is now, not when it debuted. I think we're agreeing without knowing it, in the sense that collectors do know the history and THAT is precisely why they go after the older stuff with real provenance. And again, as we know, collectors in these bidding wars drive costs (I won't say values) up artificially.