PAM372 vs PAM127...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

PAM372 vs PAM127...

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:09 pm #1

I'd like to start by saying that Panerai did such an amazing job with the PAM372. I have no idea if anyone at Panerai actually reads the fora, but my guess is that they do.
The 372 is what we've all been asking for right? Probably more... Calling this watch a base Fiddy doesn't do it justice in my opinion. The Fiddy and the new 372 are two unique watches in their own right. I hope that I'll be able to own both.

I'll start with the larger versions of the pics that I took of the 327 at the SIHH last week. There are a couple of photos of the 372 together with the Fiddy down in this post.
Kinda hard to compete with the sexy press pictures that Panerai released, but considering that I took these at the fair, I'm not unhappy with the results... I know I'm not much of a writer, but I tried to describe things a bit too, not trying to make you fall asleep

Here goes...

As you can see in the below photo, the text is engraved/embossed, not printed on the dial. The text is yellowish/beige and the Luminova is beige too - which adds to the vintage looks of the watch.

I'm not sure why the dial appears to be slightly brown in some of the photos. It's black. I've noticed the same thing on some of last year's Panerai watches e.g. the PAM359.

In this picture at a different angle, the dial looks black again. Notice how the plexi sticks out.

The leather of the strap that comes with the watch has been carefully selected, it's a perfect match for the style of the watch.

A few case back photos. I'm no watch snob but I am very happy that the 372 uses an in-house movement.
The P.3000 calibre is the all new Panerai hand-wound mechanical movement and it has two spring barrels for a power reserve of 3 days. The new movement also has a quick set function that allows you to change just the hour hand without stopping the movement or affecting the minute hand. Nice.
I know quite a few of you feel that the watch should have had a solid case back, but I for one love that it doesn't.

As you can see, the new style case (OP6835) is polished but the crown guard is brushed.
Like the Fiddy, it has Reg. TM engraved on the crown guard. The lever closes to the top as opposed to the lever of the Fiddy which closes to the bottom.

So here's a photo of the 372 next to my Fiddy. So similar, yet so different.

The photo below shows the two cases seen from the side. Here's what the press release says about the new OP6835 case:
The new Luminor 1950 3 Days 47mm offers for the first time a historic case which marks a transitional phase: while having the characteristic Luminor features, the new case has a rounded, cusp-shaped caseband, which was evidently derived from the cushion form of the Radiomir case. Other small details mark the faithful relationship of the new model to a few extremely rare historic examples: the slimmer lugs, the engraving of the reference details between the lugs, the Plexiglas® crystal instead of a sapphire one and the wide, flat back with the words Officine Panerai engraved upon it.

The lugs are thinner. I think that the fact that the lugs are polished adds to how it appears as well. The different isn't that big.

Last pic of the 372 - trying to highlight the thickness of the plexi.

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

clifW
Paneristi
clifW
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:12 pm #2

-

meric2
Paneristi
meric2
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:14 pm #3

I'd like to start by saying that Panerai did such an amazing job with the PAM372. I have no idea if anyone at Panerai actually reads the fora, but my guess is that they do.
The 372 is what we've all been asking for right? Probably more... Calling this watch a base Fiddy doesn't do it justice in my opinion. The Fiddy and the new 372 are two unique watches in their own right. I hope that I'll be able to own both.

I'll start with the larger versions of the pics that I took of the 327 at the SIHH last week. There are a couple of photos of the 372 together with the Fiddy down in this post.
Kinda hard to compete with the sexy press pictures that Panerai released, but considering that I took these at the fair, I'm not unhappy with the results... I know I'm not much of a writer, but I tried to describe things a bit too, not trying to make you fall asleep

Here goes...

As you can see in the below photo, the text is engraved/embossed, not printed on the dial. The text is yellowish/beige and the Luminova is beige too - which adds to the vintage looks of the watch.

I'm not sure why the dial appears to be slightly brown in some of the photos. It's black. I've noticed the same thing on some of last year's Panerai watches e.g. the PAM359.

In this picture at a different angle, the dial looks black again. Notice how the plexi sticks out.

The leather of the strap that comes with the watch has been carefully selected, it's a perfect match for the style of the watch.

A few case back photos. I'm no watch snob but I am very happy that the 372 uses an in-house movement.
The P.3000 calibre is the all new Panerai hand-wound mechanical movement and it has two spring barrels for a power reserve of 3 days. The new movement also has a quick set function that allows you to change just the hour hand without stopping the movement or affecting the minute hand. Nice.
I know quite a few of you feel that the watch should have had a solid case back, but I for one love that it doesn't.

As you can see, the new style case (OP6835) is polished but the crown guard is brushed.
Like the Fiddy, it has Reg. TM engraved on the crown guard. The lever closes to the top as opposed to the lever of the Fiddy which closes to the bottom.

The photo below shows the two cases seen from the side. Here's what the press release says about the new OP6835 case:
The new Luminor 1950 3 Days 47mm offers for the first time a historic case which marks a transitional phase: while having the characteristic Luminor features, the new case has a rounded, cusp-shaped caseband, which was evidently derived from the cushion form of the Radiomir case. Other small details mark the faithful relationship of the new model to a few extremely rare historic examples: the slimmer lugs, the engraving of the reference details between the lugs, the Plexiglas® crystal instead of a sapphire one and the wide, flat back with the words Officine Panerai engraved upon it.

The lugs are thinner. I think that the fact that the lugs are polished adds to how it appears as well. The different isn't that big.

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Thanks as always for the incredible photos and insight!

Cheers...

Michael

Feisar
Paneristi
Feisar
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:16 pm #4

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Love the comparisons shots and the 372 even more now. DA PLEXI is SEXI

Cheers for Badass Seiko Monsters,
Terry Hudson

No. 119

'I've got a few roos loose in the top paddock'

Alexandria, VA

expat-oz
Paneristi
expat-oz
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:18 pm #5

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
now to find my drool cup...the 372 went from "do want" to "must have" in one wonderful post.

bo

WWBBQD?

Kingsholm14
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:22 pm #6

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Prior posts you made. Can't miss those!

radgoshen
Paneristi
radgoshen
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:24 pm #7

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

covactanks
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:24 pm #8

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
x

'If you're having time problems I feel bad for you son ....I got 99 problems but a watch ain't one !'

RIPBBQ

jpulli
Paneristi
jpulli
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:24 pm #9

Prior posts you made. Can't miss those!

GeoffHess
Paneristi
GeoffHess
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:26 pm #10

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Martin this is just perfect...really impressive (n/t)

mrly
Paneristi
mrly
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:29 pm #11

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
David

FrankV1
Paneristi
FrankV1
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:31 pm #12

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

caryjames
Paneristi
caryjames
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:32 pm #13

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Awesome to have these in a larger format... thanks so much for your work and the care you put into these photographs ... just spectacular!!!!
Cary

Cary James
cary AT contactdesign DOT ca

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:36 pm #14

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Still Diddy!!! There is enough room for both of them in this town, that's for sure!

markchin
Paneristi
markchin
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:36 pm #15

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Its really great to see the "details" as most of us don't get a chance to see these watches in person.

It's interesting to see the differences in both. Can I ask, did you get a chance to put it on? Did it "fit" lower, or more confortable, than the Fiddy? Its interesting to see the crown guard shot and how the 372 is taller and shorter in comparison.

Amazing photo's as usual!!

RainerMunich
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:39 pm #16

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Those posts are always amazing...both of content and of lot of professional pics...

Thank you once again!!!

All the best, Rainer

Makrasika
Paneristi
Makrasika
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:44 pm #17

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Chris
London
YNWA

"For when the One Great Scorer comes To write against your name, He marks - not that you won or lost - But how you played the game." -
Grantland rice

"The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right" Mark Twain

andyhunt
Paneristi
andyhunt
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:45 pm #18

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
The more I see the 372 the more I know I have to own one.
Also the movement plates remind me of the Angelus in the 203

'People who use hyperbole should be shot'

Confunktion
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:55 pm #19

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Wonderul report

luckyhands
Paneristi
luckyhands
Paneristi

January 25th, 2011, 8:55 pm #20

Here goes...

Thanks for looking
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Regards

Chia (UK risti)