Pam 531

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Pam 531

Pravda2.0
New User
Pravda2.0
New User

October 29th, 2017, 10:30 pm #1

Hey guys, i had many Pams (8-10) back in the day but had to sell them due to the financial bubble bursting back in the early 2000’s. I’m still holding on to some. (Pam24, Pam 112, Pam 176, Pam 113 and my Holy Grail, Pam 93).

Too make a long story short , one of my Pams that i had to give up was one of my dad’s favorites, Pam88. My dad had a cool saying about the GMT ability to tell 2 different times and it stuck. Now that he has been gone for sometime I’ve been and i’ve been going through something and being a very sentiental guy, id like to get a GMT back.

What do you guys think of the PAM531? I know its very close to the PAM88 (which is spot on), but i also like the simplicity of the PAM 321 dial.

Help me out guys when possible.
Any owners of either models here? What do you guys think?

Very grateful for your responses and input.

Best,
Chase

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

October 29th, 2017, 11:27 pm #2

so can probably be worked on by any qualified watchmaker. Not sure on the GMT function , but most likely a couple of extra gears. Not a module.

The 531 is an inhouse movement which means there's no other place to repair except Panerai

If you like the older 88. Look around for one is nice condition

DON

rapers
Paneristi
rapers
Paneristi

October 30th, 2017, 10:00 am #3

Hey guys, i had many Pams (8-10) back in the day but had to sell them due to the financial bubble bursting back in the early 2000’s. I’m still holding on to some. (Pam24, Pam 112, Pam 176, Pam 113 and my Holy Grail, Pam 93).

Too make a long story short , one of my Pams that i had to give up was one of my dad’s favorites, Pam88. My dad had a cool saying about the GMT ability to tell 2 different times and it stuck. Now that he has been gone for sometime I’ve been and i’ve been going through something and being a very sentiental guy, id like to get a GMT back.

What do you guys think of the PAM531? I know its very close to the PAM88 (which is spot on), but i also like the simplicity of the PAM 321 dial.

Best,
Chase
It looks as though there's no shortage of pre-owned 88s on sale out there, but you might also consider the 89. Titanium case, anthracite dial, and black sub-seconds dial which IMHO is marginally preferable to the silver sub-seconds dial of the 88. Both 88 and 89 also have hour and minute hands the same width - again IMHO the minute hand thinner than the hour hand looks unbalanced.
Happy hunting!

Angelus8day
Paneristi

October 30th, 2017, 1:41 pm #4

Best,
Chase
I know you mentioned the 321; so maybe consider the 233. Check out the 233 dot version. Classic modern panerai GMT. I can go on and on about the 233; but I have in so many previous posts LOL. Good luck. I like 89 for the the 24 hour style GMT; but the 12 hour GMT style is executed perfectly in the 233 with home/dot function. Also there is pm/am feature if you want newer 233 version. Also there is auto version 270 but I forget the newer version of the 270 since they discontinued.

jrdiandrea
Paneristi
jrdiandrea
Paneristi

October 30th, 2017, 5:58 pm #5

Best,
Chase
and i immediately followed that up with a few others. I love the 321 and remains in my rotation. Great piece. I've had it for about 18 months and have had no issues with it. I purchased the steel bracelet for it (PAM 347 was the version sold with bracelet) and that's how I most often wear it, with bracelet.

mlcdmd
Paneristi
mlcdmd
Paneristi

October 30th, 2017, 8:34 pm #6

Been a while, hope all is well.
Mike C, 312 NYC

Pravda2.0
New User
Pravda2.0
New User

October 31st, 2017, 2:43 am #7

Best,
Chase
Appreciate all that responded, now i definitely have more choices.

From the responses seems like not much love for the 531.

I stopped by to check one out in the flesh and noticed it didn’t come with the plastic warranty card nor the COSC certificate.
Called Officine Panerai and they confirmed that this model does not come with a plastic warranty card and none of the Panerai manufactured movements are are COSC certified. Bummer.

Strange most of my older Pams ( 88, 24, 91 and 93 all came with COSC and they all came with the plastic Panerai Warranty stamped card, did something change?

Also, (swear this is not a rant), but no deployment buckle with a watch in this price tag?
What happened Panerai???

jrdiandrea
Paneristi
jrdiandrea
Paneristi

October 31st, 2017, 12:25 pm #8

Been a while, hope all is well.
Hi, Mike! I need to figure out this new Imagur thing....will work on this week to get back in the game!!

mlcdmd
Paneristi
mlcdmd
Paneristi

October 31st, 2017, 12:59 pm #9

Pull it up on your phone

Select upload photo (it'll tell you the app is faster, better, etc...it's not... At least for our purposes)

Then click the photo

Drop down menu on the right gives different link options

Select direct link

Copy and paste to your post

Add the letter "l" before the .jpg file extension and that will resize it.

Mike C, 312 NYC

jrdiandrea
Paneristi
jrdiandrea
Paneristi

October 31st, 2017, 3:38 pm #10

I'll give it a whirl later today or tomorrow....

gfriedell
Paneristi

November 1st, 2017, 2:31 pm #11

Appreciate all that responded, now i definitely have more choices.

From the responses seems like not much love for the 531.

I stopped by to check one out in the flesh and noticed it didn’t come with the plastic warranty card nor the COSC certificate.
Called Officine Panerai and they confirmed that this model does not come with a plastic warranty card and none of the Panerai manufactured movements are are COSC certified. Bummer.

Strange most of my older Pams ( 88, 24, 91 and 93 all came with COSC and they all came with the plastic Panerai Warranty stamped card, did something change?

Also, (swear this is not a rant), but no deployment buckle with a watch in this price tag?
What happened Panerai???
It may not use them at all anymore. Not a quality issue, just a change in the way they do their paperwork.

As far as the COSC certificate, with the new movements Panerai does not COSC certify their movements any longer. Instead they have their own in-house QC procedures. While some may feel that it's preferable to have an independent agency testing the performance of movements, the COSC procedure has some definite flaws. Chief among them is that it tests movements and not completed watches. Many of the finest watch brands do not use COSC because their in-house standards are more stringent than the COSC requirements.

Pravda2.0
New User
Pravda2.0
New User

November 4th, 2017, 11:17 am #12

Guess I’m living in the past gotta let that go
I do believe it seems more unbiased to deal with an independent COSC agency but it is what it is