PAM 4A - Does this look correct?

PAM 4A - Does this look correct?

ctomsee
Paneristi
ctomsee
Paneristi

April 12th, 2012, 11:12 am #1

Hello Experts. Please look at the pics below and let me know if you feel this movement looks correct for a PAM 4A. Your opinions and input are much appreciated.
Tom in Chicago

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

April 12th, 2012, 11:19 am #2

Cheers and best from the holyland,

~Asi~

<a href="http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h306/ ... d.jpg"></a>

ctomsee
Paneristi
ctomsee
Paneristi

April 12th, 2012, 11:26 am #3

Hello Experts. Please look at the pics below and let me know if you feel this movement looks correct for a PAM 4A. Your opinions and input are much appreciated.
Tom in Chicago

I really appreciate the quick reply. I had a feeling it was fake but I haven't seen enough "innards" to be sure. As always, your expertise and willingness to share it with the community is genuinely appreciated.
Cheers!
Tom in Chicago

FivE39
Paneristi
FivE39
Paneristi

April 12th, 2012, 1:30 pm #4

Tom in Chicago

Asi,

Can you please shed more light on this? Is this possibly just a mismatched movement for an A-matriculated watch?

The OPI/II movement, crown, caseback and crownguard are genuine but maybe they belong to a later series watch?

tomele
Paneristi
tomele
Paneristi

April 12th, 2012, 2:47 pm #5

It' s the engraving "Panerai " which looks strange
and the orientation of the engraving and letters : 180 degrees and it would look like a genuine OP II series A .
It would be interesting to have Asi's explanations .

cheers,
Tomi

tomele
Paneristi
tomele
Paneristi

April 12th, 2012, 2:48 pm #6

Asi,

Can you please shed more light on this? Is this possibly just a mismatched movement for an A-matriculated watch?

The OPI/II movement, crown, caseback and crownguard are genuine but maybe they belong to a later series watch?
It' s the engraving "Panerai " which looks strange
and the orientation of the engraving and letters : 180 degrees and it would look like a genuine OP II series A .
It would be interesting to have Asi's explanations .

cheers
tomi

mattgross
Paneristi
mattgross
Paneristi

April 12th, 2012, 6:46 pm #7

Cheers and best from the holyland,

~Asi~

<a href="http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h306/ ... d.jpg"></a>
Those older Panerai movements, I've seen engraving both ways. Also, depending on how the light hits it, the engraving can look different.

yuryk
Paneristi
yuryk
Paneristi

April 12th, 2012, 10:05 pm #8

Tom in Chicago

Incablock looks correct for Panerai. Also, most of non-custom bridge fake movements I've seen did not have an engraving on them, instead they used a stick-on. This one looks engraved...

Is there a ETA stamp under the balance wheel?

Thanks,
Yury

ctomsee
Paneristi
ctomsee
Paneristi

April 12th, 2012, 10:20 pm #9

I don't have access to the watch. These are pictures I received from the seller.

gfriedell
Paneristi

April 13th, 2012, 2:53 am #10

Tom in Chicago

rendylatief
Paneristi

April 13th, 2012, 6:08 am #11

Tom in Chicago

But From the case and the crown this watch has a regular wrist time.
I notice from the crown that it is winded regularly, because the PVD is turning grey-ish from winding.
I don't know about the movement. But a picture of the dial and case back perhaps?
I'm intrigued why Asi say the movement is fake though.
Cheers.

ctomsee
Paneristi
ctomsee
Paneristi

April 13th, 2012, 6:37 am #12

tomele
Paneristi
tomele
Paneristi

April 13th, 2012, 8:10 am #13

Tom in Chicago

1st : caseback A series op6502 Luminor Marina

2nd: OPII A series : the engraving looks different than yours but it is very subjective.

cheers

tomi

b.zanetti
Paneristi
b.zanetti
Paneristi

April 13th, 2012, 1:11 pm #14

Tom in Chicago

Here's a shot of PAM 2A with the case back removed.

As you can see both mov'ts are identical.

[/IMG]

ctomsee
Paneristi
ctomsee
Paneristi

April 13th, 2012, 1:48 pm #15

Tom in Chicago

Who has commented so far. Clearly there is a difference of opinion on this watch's, or perhaps this movement's, authenticity. I want to make it clear that I have not yet purchased the watch. This is part of my "due diligence" since I do not know the seller and he is not a participant on this or other forums. These are the only pics I have and it's a shame the exposure on some of them isn't better. I wonder if part of the uncertainty here is due to poor exposure and poor focus in the images. In any case, in fairness to the seller (who is currently unaware of this post), since there appears to be at least a possibility the watch is genuine, I plan to leave the pictures up for just another day or two to see if there are other comments, then I will remove them. As for will I buy it.......I haven't decided yet, but I do appreciate all the input.
Tom in Chicago

rendylatief
Paneristi

April 13th, 2012, 2:36 pm #16

Tom in Chicago

The dial is okay, the case is okay, the case back looks like it has been repolished.
The movement, I'm not quite sure, but from the comparisson it looks the same.
Just to be sure, just line up the movement number with the one in the cosc.
But if it doesnt have any, maybe a movement sticker?
If it matches, I think you are good to go..
Hope you'll find what you're looking for.
Cheers mate.

ctomsee
Paneristi
ctomsee
Paneristi

April 13th, 2012, 2:55 pm #17

No boxes, no papers, no sticker, no service records, nada. Obviously priced accordingly.

RUpanerai
Paneristi

April 13th, 2012, 3:44 pm #18

Tom in Chicago

If you need any help, I can snap pics of my 4A for comparison at some point.

I will also be in the Chitown area in June for my sisters graduation if you want to compare them then.

Good luck w the purchase.

RUpanerai
Paneristi

April 13th, 2012, 3:45 pm #19

You might want to check out all the lugs to make sure they are the same before purchasing. If they are different sizes then it has most likely been re-coated.

Great example you found though.

RUpanerai
Paneristi

April 13th, 2012, 3:46 pm #20