PAM 372 - How limited?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

PAM 372 - How limited?

OllyR
Paneristi
OllyR
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 3:40 pm #1

Hi

I have heard the 372 is now a production model but to the rear of the case it says XXX/3500

Are they limited to 3500 or are there two series about> i.e, now 7000 in circulation?

Many thanks

panerai4life
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 3:43 pm #2

N series = 3,500
and to a surprise
O series = 2,500
Maybe am wrong

"Passion is something way beyond any explanation or imagination"

FastSRT8
Paneristi
FastSRT8
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 4:29 pm #3

Hi

I have heard the 372 is now a production model but to the rear of the case it says XXX/3500

Are they limited to 3500 or are there two series about> i.e, now 7000 in circulation?

Many thanks
For this watch to me 'limited' to one run when there was so much interest in it and people flipping it for $$$$. Panerai is a business and it will do whatever it can to turn a profit. I'm sure their initial marketing strategy was to let us all know it was 'limited' so as to ensure these pieces sold (they don't want to lose money on it) then watch how it is received. Based on that, they will decide what to do with the model. Looks like as it was a hit, they will keep making it.

The only bad part about this is, those who thought they were the fortunate few to have an iconic LE piece is now out of luck.

Unlike the bronzo.... this one will be available for more of us.

jmridgway
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 4:36 pm #4

Hi

Many thanks
I'm not sure what you mean by "now" a production model. A model is released as either a regular production piece, a Special Edition or a boutique edition. Special Editions and boutique editions are always released as such. Anything else is a regular model. All this speculation that the 372 was going to morph into some sort of stealth limited edition was nothing more than speculation. Clearly many people thought or hoped that it would be a one series run, ie. would be discontinued after the N series, making it kinda like a limited edition, but even if that had been the case, it would stil have been a regular production piece.

Anyway, so far the N series is 3500, the O series is 2500, and it remains to be seen if or how many will be in the P series.

And also to clarify, every PAM regular production model is limited to a certain production during any given series. All regular models have the xxxx/xxxx on the back.

mrpanerai
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 4:38 pm #5

Hi

Many thanks
but didn't Panerai say from the begining it was a regular production watch. I don't know why anyone was surprised to see an O series

nadh3n
Paneristi
nadh3n
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 5:12 pm #6

nt

Montreal, Canada

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 5:13 pm #7

Hi

Many thanks
if memory serves me correctly they said it would be 3000 units 1500 a year for 2 years, then when the demand seemed really high they upped it to 3500 which which still thought would be 1750 a year for 2 years. When it came out it was 3500 for the N series as we all know, however if the watch did well for them why not continue it, it is a regular production after all, and honestly I thought people were happy that Panerai was offering such and amazing peice as a regular production. Now there is 2500 slated for the O series, which isn't a big deal its a production watch, they make the 000 over and over again every year and that doesn't take away from how awesome it is! The way I see it people will always complain about something...whats the point, its a watch, it is what it is and the 372 is a great watch and IMO is the best vintage reproduction they've ever made and its a regular production for everyone to have in their collection

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 5:19 pm #8

For this watch to me 'limited' to one run when there was so much interest in it and people flipping it for $$$$. Panerai is a business and it will do whatever it can to turn a profit. I'm sure their initial marketing strategy was to let us all know it was 'limited' so as to ensure these pieces sold (they don't want to lose money on it) then watch how it is received. Based on that, they will decide what to do with the model. Looks like as it was a hit, they will keep making it.

The only bad part about this is, those who thought they were the fortunate few to have an iconic LE piece is now out of luck.

Unlike the bronzo.... this one will be available for more of us.
I don't believe Panerai ever said the 372 was limited. See below.... I think they were pretty unclear about the status of the watch, but I don't think they ever said it was limited...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... rky+waters...

Also, I question the presumption that people were or are flipping the 372 for any real profit. I remember seeing just a couple listed over MSRP when it came out, and that was only by a few hundred dollars if that. Now they're being listed well below MSRP pretty regularly.

Despite the ongoing discussions, I think that as far as Panerai is concerned there hasn't been much equivocation... the 372 is regular production, not LE or SE, and I don't think they ever said otherwise?

This is going to make SIHH this year very interesting... will the 372 be part of the catalog? I think it will, but I guess we won't really know until Panerai says so.

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 5:22 pm #9

but didn't Panerai say from the begining it was a regular production watch. I don't know why anyone was surprised to see an O series

Early on there was some confusion about the status of the 372, and then Pnaerai compounded that confusion by changing the production number from 3k to 3.5k... but I agree, I think that in their own sorta confusing way Panerai always said this watch was regular production.

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 5:45 pm #10

if memory serves me correctly they said it would be 3000 units 1500 a year for 2 years, then when the demand seemed really high they upped it to 3500 which which still thought would be 1750 a year for 2 years. When it came out it was 3500 for the N series as we all know, however if the watch did well for them why not continue it, it is a regular production after all, and honestly I thought people were happy that Panerai was offering such and amazing peice as a regular production. Now there is 2500 slated for the O series, which isn't a big deal its a production watch, they make the 000 over and over again every year and that doesn't take away from how awesome it is! The way I see it people will always complain about something...whats the point, its a watch, it is what it is and the 372 is a great watch and IMO is the best vintage reproduction they've ever made and its a regular production for everyone to have in their collection

Maybe the early buyers thought it was going to be limited like the 127 and 217. They can wear it and eventually sell for a profit later on.

However, as a regular production. The shine is off the watch and selling before taking a big hit on the resale.

The ones who bought it because they liked it will keep. One's who speculated will sell and search for the next possible profit maker

DON

mlpugh
Paneristi
mlpugh
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 6:30 pm #11

Hi

Many thanks
Since they are not... I have a chance to get a Cali.. If not this time maybe next time they decide to make another 750 Cali's.. Hopefully Panerai will make a fiddy with an inhouse and all the other old vintage treasures... Makes it easy for me to get the old styles.. I will miss the hunt and making offers for vintage Pam's... But know I just haft to wait for the Vintage regular production models with the inhouse movement.

gfriedell
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 7:16 pm #12

I don't believe Panerai ever said the 372 was limited. See below.... I think they were pretty unclear about the status of the watch, but I don't think they ever said it was limited...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... rky+waters...

Also, I question the presumption that people were or are flipping the 372 for any real profit. I remember seeing just a couple listed over MSRP when it came out, and that was only by a few hundred dollars if that. Now they're being listed well below MSRP pretty regularly.

Despite the ongoing discussions, I think that as far as Panerai is concerned there hasn't been much equivocation... the 372 is regular production, not LE or SE, and I don't think they ever said otherwise?

This is going to make SIHH this year very interesting... will the 372 be part of the catalog? I think it will, but I guess we won't really know until Panerai says so.

in the US. There is some profit there for the flippers.

"But sometimes when you bring the thunder, you get lost in the storm." K.P.

Last edited by gfriedell on July 20th, 2012, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 9:15 pm #13

To me it's a PITA just buying a watch for my own pleasure, let alone trying to make a living squeezing out a point or two on international tax conversion rates! That's dedication to the game

mrpanerai
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 9:21 pm #14

nt

Montreal, Canada

mrpanerai
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 9:32 pm #15

Early on there was some confusion about the status of the 372, and then Pnaerai compounded that confusion by changing the production number from 3k to 3.5k... but I agree, I think that in their own sorta confusing way Panerai always said this watch was regular production.

Kimodaz
Paneristi
Kimodaz
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 10:53 pm #16

Hi

Many thanks
I bought my 372 because I think it is one of the nicest models ever made by Panerai. On top of that a good risti friend helped me get my watch early on, so the shine will never leave my watch no matter how many they make.

dukerules
Paneristi
dukerules
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 11:19 pm #17

Hi

Many thanks
The 372 is an amazing piece, a real treat for fans of the brand, and anyone who wants one can get one. How is that a bad thing? I buy my watches to wear, not to flip...maybe I'm missing something? Seriously, this angst about lower-than-desired resale value on the 372 kinda makes me wonder about some people.

Chapel Hill, NC

FastSRT8
Paneristi
FastSRT8
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 11:47 pm #18

To me it's a PITA just buying a watch for my own pleasure, let alone trying to make a living squeezing out a point or two on international tax conversion rates! That's dedication to the game

LOLOLOL anything for a buck or two!!!! nt

tchoo
Paneristi
tchoo
Paneristi

July 20th, 2012, 11:49 pm #19

N series = 3,500
and to a surprise
O series = 2,500
Maybe am wrong

"Passion is something way beyond any explanation or imagination"
Yes, the O series is 2500 pieces.

We have seen Panerai in a way, being put in a situation when they can't really win. We were talking about what would happen to the price of the 372 if they had limited it to 300 pieces

In many ways, the 372 is a gift to the enthusiast, anyone who wants one can readily get one, and I for one, personally hope that it remains a regular production in the years to come.

Cheers!

TC

aikiman44
Paneristi
aikiman44
Paneristi

July 21st, 2012, 12:40 am #20

Hi

Many thanks
If I had a larger wrist, I'd have a 372 in a heartbeat, regardless of it's availability.
The reason so many are for sale is that the small wristed have come to their senses regarding the size.