OT: Which Micro four third?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

OT: Which Micro four third?

stockae92
Paneristi
stockae92
Paneristi

May 24th, 2012, 10:49 pm #1

I am looking at Sony NEX 5N or Olympus E-PL3?

Which one should I go with?

Other system that I should consider?

Thanks.

TRISTAN29
Paneristi

May 24th, 2012, 11:29 pm #2

u should get this especially the sliver one , its retro look. The af is fast and the output is nice. check my thread posted last week with pictures.

AndySIII
Paneristi
AndySIII
Paneristi

May 25th, 2012, 1:35 am #3

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

gfriedell
Paneristi

May 25th, 2012, 2:22 am #4

Thanks.
"But sometimes when you bring the thunder, you get lost in the storm."

Tokyoristi
Paneristi
Tokyoristi
Paneristi

May 25th, 2012, 2:37 am #5

Thanks.
Performance is great and the body is lightweight. IMHO, best bang for your buck in the range of microfour thirds (even though the Sony NEX5 is technically not a microfour thirds....its better)

One thing to note, be sure to buy the international version (basically not the Japan domestic model) as you can not change the language to English. Not a problem for me though.

Here's a shot taken with the 18-55mm lens

Jason

modenaboy
Paneristi
modenaboy
Paneristi

May 25th, 2012, 7:33 am #6

Thanks.
I agree with other posters, if you're looking at Olympus, definitely get an OM-D over the PEN 3, it is a massive improvement! But the Sony NEX-5N is incredible too.

I have the NEX-5N, it is fantastic. It has some excellent features I haven't seen on other cameras, such as the stacking for anti-blur and twilight, it also has some good effects built in such as HDR paint and vivid mode. The optional viewfinder is a must, it is awesome. I only use the Sony with manual focus lenses, like Voigtlander or Zeiss, and it works great with those. If you want to use the standard autofocus lenses, it is a bit lacking since the lens selection isn't very good yet (The Olympus has a huge selection of great lenses). The Sony is also amazing with high ISO shots, especially with handheld twilight mode.

Here's a picture I just took with it (not a watch, sorry!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whacker/72 ... otostream/

I also just picked up the OM-D (yesterday!) I had previously borrowed a PEN E-P2, and I did not warm up to it - it feels cheap, it is a bit awkward, and the high ISO shots have way too much noise. The OM-D solves all of that, it is built great (although still very light), feels very good in hand, has a great viewfinder (not as good as the Sony but theOly viewfinder is built in, and it has in body IS that is active with a half shutter press while you compose).

The in body IS on the Oly is amazing, probably the best in the business (Sony has no in body IS). From what I can see, the noise performance at high ISO is very good (much much better than the PEN, possibly rivaling the Sony although the Sony will still beat it when using handheld twilight with stacking to average out noise). The picture quality is superb and it is much easier to get sharp shots (especially with a manual lens) than the Sony, as the IS is just the best.

I haven't uploaded any pics with the OM-D (too busy at work!), but from what I can tell, it is a great camera, and I can't wait to use it more. I have a Voigtlander manual focus lens on it now so my use case will probably be different than most, but I'll use the other Olympus autofocus lenses for variety, the kit zoom should hopefully versatile for car shots and the track, where a manual focus lens is a bit of a pain to deal with! I did play around with the kit lens and although it doesn't have much of an aperture, in daylight it is very nice. Very light too (the Voigtlander is a boat anchor in weight compared to it).

Here's some more pics from the Sony, many are at high ISO where the camera excels.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whacker/se ... 898357449/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whacker/se ... 771587313/

Whatever you get, both are great cameras.

-- Gordie

modenaboy
Paneristi
modenaboy
Paneristi

May 25th, 2012, 7:34 am #7

Thanks.
The NEX has the larger APS-X sensor (which is a 1.5 crop from full frame, vs. 2x crop for the M4/3 on the Olympus).

-- Gordie

dpossenti
Paneristi
dpossenti
Paneristi

May 25th, 2012, 10:09 am #8

Thanks.
The Foveon sensor is amazing!

Ciao,

davide

MrJ320
Paneristi
MrJ320
Paneristi

May 25th, 2012, 1:28 pm #9

Thanks.
I was close to getting the NEX-5N as well, but ended up with the Fuji X100 (APS-C and not micro 3/4). So far I am really happy with the X100, but it doesn't have interchangeable lens so if that's a feature you want then I would lean towards the 5N or the Olympus OM-D as others mentioned, which have been getting great reviews.

The Fuji X-Pro1 has interchangeable lens but I would say it's in a different price bracket.

Cheers,
James

egraphic
Paneristi
egraphic
Paneristi

May 25th, 2012, 1:47 pm #10

Performance is great and the body is lightweight. IMHO, best bang for your buck in the range of microfour thirds (even though the Sony NEX5 is technically not a microfour thirds....its better)

One thing to note, be sure to buy the international version (basically not the Japan domestic model) as you can not change the language to English. Not a problem for me though.

Here's a shot taken with the 18-55mm lens

Jason
...not to mention that you can easily mount your old manual lenses with an adapter for some amazing low-light output. I have some Zeiss 1.4 lenses that just produce gorgeous (non-Panerai) images.

stockae92
Paneristi
stockae92
Paneristi

May 25th, 2012, 4:04 pm #11

I agree with other posters, if you're looking at Olympus, definitely get an OM-D over the PEN 3, it is a massive improvement! But the Sony NEX-5N is incredible too.

I have the NEX-5N, it is fantastic. It has some excellent features I haven't seen on other cameras, such as the stacking for anti-blur and twilight, it also has some good effects built in such as HDR paint and vivid mode. The optional viewfinder is a must, it is awesome. I only use the Sony with manual focus lenses, like Voigtlander or Zeiss, and it works great with those. If you want to use the standard autofocus lenses, it is a bit lacking since the lens selection isn't very good yet (The Olympus has a huge selection of great lenses). The Sony is also amazing with high ISO shots, especially with handheld twilight mode.

Here's a picture I just took with it (not a watch, sorry!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whacker/72 ... otostream/

I also just picked up the OM-D (yesterday!) I had previously borrowed a PEN E-P2, and I did not warm up to it - it feels cheap, it is a bit awkward, and the high ISO shots have way too much noise. The OM-D solves all of that, it is built great (although still very light), feels very good in hand, has a great viewfinder (not as good as the Sony but theOly viewfinder is built in, and it has in body IS that is active with a half shutter press while you compose).

The in body IS on the Oly is amazing, probably the best in the business (Sony has no in body IS). From what I can see, the noise performance at high ISO is very good (much much better than the PEN, possibly rivaling the Sony although the Sony will still beat it when using handheld twilight with stacking to average out noise). The picture quality is superb and it is much easier to get sharp shots (especially with a manual lens) than the Sony, as the IS is just the best.

I haven't uploaded any pics with the OM-D (too busy at work!), but from what I can tell, it is a great camera, and I can't wait to use it more. I have a Voigtlander manual focus lens on it now so my use case will probably be different than most, but I'll use the other Olympus autofocus lenses for variety, the kit zoom should hopefully versatile for car shots and the track, where a manual focus lens is a bit of a pain to deal with! I did play around with the kit lens and although it doesn't have much of an aperture, in daylight it is very nice. Very light too (the Voigtlander is a boat anchor in weight compared to it).

Here's some more pics from the Sony, many are at high ISO where the camera excels.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whacker/se ... 898357449/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whacker/se ... 771587313/

Whatever you get, both are great cameras.

-- Gordie
cause i will be using it to take baby pic, and i won't have time to do anything manually :D

the lack of Sony in body IS is one thing that i didn't like about the 5N, cause that translate to if I want IS, then I would have to buy all the lenses that has IS built-in

stockae92
Paneristi
stockae92
Paneristi

May 25th, 2012, 4:08 pm #12

I was close to getting the NEX-5N as well, but ended up with the Fuji X100 (APS-C and not micro 3/4). So far I am really happy with the X100, but it doesn't have interchangeable lens so if that's a feature you want then I would lean towards the 5N or the Olympus OM-D as others mentioned, which have been getting great reviews.

The Fuji X-Pro1 has interchangeable lens but I would say it's in a different price bracket.

Cheers,
James

and then it leads me to X100, but it seems like for the price of X100, I am boarder line more into the price segment of four third. So I want to see whats out there.

X100 is still a prime candidate for me, if I don't end up with a system with interchangeable lens, then I would likely to get the X100

modenaboy
Paneristi
modenaboy
Paneristi

May 25th, 2012, 6:05 pm #13

cause i will be using it to take baby pic, and i won't have time to do anything manually :D

the lack of Sony in body IS is one thing that i didn't like about the 5N, cause that translate to if I want IS, then I would have to buy all the lenses that has IS built-in
For kids, and anything requiring fast autofocus, the OM-D might be the better choice, it is supposed to have lightening fast autofocus. It also has very good facial detection and will focus automatically on the eyes of the subjects.

The Nikon V1 is also supposed to punch way above its weight - it is a smaller sensor than M 4/3, but there are some very favorable reviews, going much against expectations. And it has blazing autofocus.

I'd probably go with the OM-D, though, seems the best balance and most versatile!

-- Gordie

tchoo
Paneristi
tchoo
Paneristi

May 25th, 2012, 10:46 pm #14

u should get this especially the sliver one , its retro look. The af is fast and the output is nice. check my thread posted last week with pictures.

nt

nadelstern
Paneristi

May 26th, 2012, 1:26 pm #15

Thanks.
Tough to find at a reasonable price but worth the search.

geekee
Paneristi
geekee
Paneristi

May 26th, 2012, 3:43 pm #16

Thanks.
OM-D is very sexy but the larger APS size NEX7 or 5N is hard to beat for this class / size bodies.