OT - proud parent moment. . .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

OT - proud parent moment. . .

khaugh
Paneristi
khaugh
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 3:24 pm #1

I just wanted to share a few quick iPhone shots of my son's SSI training over the weekend. He is only 10 but loves the ocean as much as I do. It is only natural that he would pursue this great sport. Reading about Mike Horn's Young Explorer's Program taught me not to limit my son's ambition for exploration because of his young age.

Here he is in Day 1 of his training. He took it very seriously and earned a 94% on the written exam (outsouring all of the adults in the class). I got certified over 15 years ago. It was interesting and somewhat reassuring to me how little the material and training had changed.

I happened to have my Doxa COSC Pro on that day. As I sat outside the pool (for hours), one customer of the dive shop noticed my Doxa and asked me about it. He said his brother, who currently lives in Turkey, has an orange Doxa and has dived with it for years. I've been diving with mine for seven years now. Anyone on this board from Holland, currently living in Turkey and diving with a Doxa? Lol, you never know, right?

Dirk Pitt has nothing on this little guy. It is only when he is saddled with all the modern SCUBA gear that I'm reminded - he is only 10 years old. By the way, he is sporting the Japan Tsunami Relief Luminox dive watch. All the proceeds for the sale of the watch went to the Japan Tsunami relief effort. I was happy to buy the watch, but it is smaller than I'm used to so I set it aside. When my son expressed interest in SCUBA, I offered it to him as a reward for getting certified.

Kids don't seem to have the fear we adults bear after a lifetime of speculation about 'what ifs' and obscure but memorable scary ocean tales. SCUBA has inherent risks to be sure, but training minimizes those risks and SSI did a great job with the training. He now has his "referral open water dive certification", 4 ocean dives and his certification will be complete. For those dives, we'll head to warmer waters of Hawaii. Where I'll be taking this one out to measure elapsed time and depth.

Thanks for looking. Hawaii dive shots (PAM 307) to come!

Kev.

Cr4ig
Paneristi
Cr4ig
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 3:36 pm #2

-Craig F

RMRPR
Paneristi
RMRPR
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 3:38 pm #3

I just wanted to share a few quick iPhone shots of my son's SSI training over the weekend. He is only 10 but loves the ocean as much as I do. It is only natural that he would pursue this great sport. Reading about Mike Horn's Young Explorer's Program taught me not to limit my son's ambition for exploration because of his young age.

Here he is in Day 1 of his training. He took it very seriously and earned a 94% on the written exam (outsouring all of the adults in the class). I got certified over 15 years ago. It was interesting and somewhat reassuring to me how little the material and training had changed.

I happened to have my Doxa COSC Pro on that day. As I sat outside the pool (for hours), one customer of the dive shop noticed my Doxa and asked me about it. He said his brother, who currently lives in Turkey, has an orange Doxa and has dived with it for years. I've been diving with mine for seven years now. Anyone on this board from Holland, currently living in Turkey and diving with a Doxa? Lol, you never know, right?

Dirk Pitt has nothing on this little guy. It is only when he is saddled with all the modern SCUBA gear that I'm reminded - he is only 10 years old. By the way, he is sporting the Japan Tsunami Relief Luminox dive watch. All the proceeds for the sale of the watch went to the Japan Tsunami relief effort. I was happy to buy the watch, but it is smaller than I'm used to so I set it aside. When my son expressed interest in SCUBA, I offered it to him as a reward for getting certified.

Kids don't seem to have the fear we adults bear after a lifetime of speculation about 'what ifs' and obscure but memorable scary ocean tales. SCUBA has inherent risks to be sure, but training minimizes those risks and SSI did a great job with the training. He now has his "referral open water dive certification", 4 ocean dives and his certification will be complete. For those dives, we'll head to warmer waters of Hawaii. Where I'll be taking this one out to measure elapsed time and depth.

Kev.

Super nice , big congrats Kev !!!!(nt)

khaugh
Paneristi
khaugh
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 3:49 pm #4

-Craig F

PSY76
Paneristi
PSY76
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 4:08 pm #5

Kev.

</a><a href="http://photobucket.com" rel="nofollow">

khaugh
Paneristi
khaugh
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 4:09 pm #6

khaugh
Paneristi
khaugh
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 4:09 pm #7

J-F.
Paneristi
J-F.
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 4:13 pm #8

Kev.

Cheers & Prides

jadamo
Paneristi
jadamo
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 5:10 pm #9

Kev.

doesn't fall far from the tree. Please give him my congrats. I am open water in YMCA and PADI but have not been down in years--i need a refresher course.
Best to you and the family
John

Ora et Labora

scott0431
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 5:40 pm #10

Kev.

And for a 10 year old he is rocking and rolling! I didn't get certified until is was in the Marines at 22 years old. Once my kids get older I'm going to get them involved with it too. Great family activity. Enjoy!

"If I was on death row and given one last meal I would ask for a fortune cookie. "Come on 'long prosperous life!'"-
Mitch Hedburg

khaugh
Paneristi
khaugh
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 7:40 pm #11

Cheers & Prides
I love SCUBA and I love my 307. Thanks for helping me appreciate the 'Gauge'!

khaugh
Paneristi
khaugh
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 7:41 pm #12

doesn't fall far from the tree. Please give him my congrats. I am open water in YMCA and PADI but have not been down in years--i need a refresher course.
Best to you and the family
John

Ora et Labora
Thanks for the post!

khaugh
Paneristi
khaugh
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 7:43 pm #13

And for a 10 year old he is rocking and rolling! I didn't get certified until is was in the Marines at 22 years old. Once my kids get older I'm going to get them involved with it too. Great family activity. Enjoy!

"If I was on death row and given one last meal I would ask for a fortune cookie. "Come on 'long prosperous life!'"-
Mitch Hedburg
I didn't get certified until I was 25ish? I can only imagine what it would have been like to carry that perspective from 10 until now. I'm fortunate to be able to give him that experience and to have had my own similar life experiences.

"One life, live it." - Mike Horn

LarsDenmark
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 7:44 pm #14

Kev.

Howcome SSI instead of PADI or CMAS?

There's watches, and there's time-telling devices. Wether you notice the difference is a question of passion!

Best Regards,
Lars

khaugh
Paneristi
khaugh
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 8:17 pm #15

I was PADI certified and intended that my son be as well. However, after interviewing several schools, I found that the best dive instructor in our area was at a school that happened to offer the SSI course. When I got into the details of one certification entity verses another, I found there wasn't much difference.

So, ultimately, it was just the best instructor fit for my son.

Kev.

vannjam
Paneristi
vannjam
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 10:08 pm #16

Kev.

abunai
Paneristi
abunai
Paneristi

June 12th, 2012, 11:47 pm #17

Kev.

Must be a thrill to get your boy to dive with you. PADI AOW myself and looks like we might hit up the same dive spots in Monterey. I should look out for a diver wearing a PAM307 next time. =) Nothing beats diving in Hawaii however and I'm sure he'll have a blast.

hongT
Paneristi
hongT
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 2:35 am #18

Kev.

Cheers
HongT

shmeedr
Paneristi
shmeedr
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 3:05 am #19

Kev.

My Grails.

Ba Ba Booey.

Kevin Schmieder

Pam 111 N Series
Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610

Chinanico
Paneristi
Chinanico
Paneristi

June 13th, 2012, 5:19 am #20

Kev.

I would like to talk to you about it, as I am a diving instructor myself.