OT : Paypal as a gift, I think it's is a big risk for the buyer but don't understand how >

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

OT : Paypal as a gift, I think it's is a big risk for the buyer but don't understand how >

J-F.
Paneristi
J-F.
Paneristi

August 2nd, 2012, 6:48 pm #1

This strange and odd asking can be allowed from professional sellers in the vendor's market .... maybe they just should have a declared activity and pay their local taxes

With paypal as a gift there is any possibility to ask for a refund if the seller do not want even any possibility to open a dispute if the parcel were lost

new rule ?

Cr4ig
Paneristi
Cr4ig
Paneristi

August 2nd, 2012, 7:23 pm #2

I'm NOT one for new rules, but where they make sense, they should exist. This could serve to protect us in the rare case when something does go wrong. I'm for it!

But then I'd also be for drawing and quartering anyone wronging someone from P.com

-Craig F

scott0431
Paneristi

August 2nd, 2012, 7:42 pm #3

This strange and odd asking can be allowed from professional sellers in the vendor's market .... maybe they just should have a declared activity and pay their local taxes

With paypal as a gift there is any possibility to ask for a refund if the seller do not want even any possibility to open a dispute if the parcel were lost

new rule ?
to only Christmas and birthdays.

"If I was on death row and given one last meal I would ask for a fortune cookie. "Come on 'long prosperous life!'"-
Mitch Hedburg

mrpanerai
Paneristi

August 2nd, 2012, 7:57 pm #4

new rule ?
I seen other forums ban the asking of paypal gift.

MizeAtl
Paneristi
MizeAtl
Paneristi

August 2nd, 2012, 7:57 pm #5

new rule ?
I believe WUS just created a rule forbidding Paypal gift. I personally won't do it. I'd rather pick up the 3 or so percent and feel that there is a little buyer protection..

FrankV1
Paneristi
FrankV1
Paneristi

August 2nd, 2012, 8:47 pm #6

new rule ?

Night View DUOMO Firenze

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

August 2nd, 2012, 8:48 pm #7

new rule ?
Paypal sees it as a gift and not a purchase, so can't open a dispute.

Customs send it to me that way, but wouldn't use it for a watch purchase if I didn't know the seller

DON

vannjam
Paneristi
vannjam
Paneristi

August 2nd, 2012, 10:07 pm #8

new rule ?
when we purchase something and when making payment, say it is a gift - which is not correct.
How can we when paying for something call it a gift - it is not truthful - imho.

AurelioS
Paneristi
AurelioS
Paneristi

August 2nd, 2012, 10:38 pm #9

new rule ?
I do think that sending funds as a "gift" could be dicey for unknown seller, or for larger amounts. If a seller doesn't want to take an extra hit, adding 3% on my end for a strap or two isn't a big deal.

But that's between a buyer and a seller, personally. Forums getting between them can be tricky, from a responsibility perspective. I would think there's a point where the forum would
like to distance themselves from transactions. Yes, guidelines an rules are good - don't get me wrong ~

Hope that makes sense

Got to keep on shufflin'!

Chye
Paneristi
Chye
Paneristi

August 3rd, 2012, 1:01 am #10

new rule ?
Not sure why but since day 1, the 'gift' option's never being available for me.

Chye

gfriedell
Paneristi

August 3rd, 2012, 4:53 am #11

new rule ?
We have been working to reduce and simplify the rules so the trading fora require less monitoring and moderating. We can't make a rule to protect parties from every form of potential abuse, they have to take some responsibility to use their own good judgement and common sense.

Personally, when i am buying, If the seller demands payment as a gift i will opt to make a regular payment and pay the fees myself. Otherwise, I will not buy from a seller that demands payent as a gift. If they are willing to skim Paypal out of fees, then I have some question in the back of my mind if they will cheat me too.

"But sometimes when you bring the thunder, you get lost in the storm." K.P.

Last edited by gfriedell on August 3rd, 2012, 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

nafai23
Paneristi
nafai23
Paneristi

August 3rd, 2012, 12:15 pm #12

new rule ?
and you should not do the deal anyway.

I never understood the fear of the gift payment when a wire is commonly accepted and filing for a refund with paypal can be a nightmare anyway.

nafai23
Paneristi
nafai23
Paneristi

August 3rd, 2012, 12:18 pm #13

You would have to ban wires and bank transfers also.. There is no recourse on those.

Pamsaplenty
Paneristi

August 3rd, 2012, 1:41 pm #14

We have been working to reduce and simplify the rules so the trading fora require less monitoring and moderating. We can't make a rule to protect parties from every form of potential abuse, they have to take some responsibility to use their own good judgement and common sense.

Personally, when i am buying, If the seller demands payment as a gift i will opt to make a regular payment and pay the fees myself. Otherwise, I will not buy from a seller that demands payent as a gift. If they are willing to skim Paypal out of fees, then I have some question in the back of my mind if they will cheat me too.

"But sometimes when you bring the thunder, you get lost in the storm." K.P.

Yeah, I'm with Gary. nt

thecoats
Paneristi
thecoats
Paneristi

August 5th, 2012, 1:28 pm #15

when we purchase something and when making payment, say it is a gift - which is not correct.
How can we when paying for something call it a gift - it is not truthful - imho.

If someone wants me to send money as a gift for a purchase I just add the percentage and pay via regular PayPal for services. I don't agree with trying to beat the system, PayPal had to bear the brunt of building a business model, I would not appreciate it if my customers tried to figure out a way around my paying for my services.

-don