OT , overzealous customs damage my beloved Panerai

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

OT , overzealous customs damage my beloved Panerai

Talamansca
Paneristi
Talamansca
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 2:35 pm #1

Been on the list for Panerai 390 I found out that my chances of getting one where very slim so I decide to purchase one from one of the locals here and all was fine till the package arrive here in the US from Europe .
The shipper use UPS and here is what brown can do for you ..
The package was held for 21 days by customs no explanation of why or when will be release and after many calls and e-mails here is what I got .
They complete destroy the boxes and not only that but they are couple items missing like the tags .
and on top of that they charge me $ 120.00 man .. I feel like I have been kick on my balls
Any one here know if I can get these boxes replace by Panerai ? I do not think US Customs will do any thing for me let along file a claim after all they are the government
All the paper work was complete and legit value , description etc..
I mean do they really have to do this ?
lesson learn here make sure the boxes are 100 % protected maybe with double boxes and well .. you can figure out my opinion about UPS .
Thank You for reading . J
and here are some pics
First nice box and Package

2 ) first open

3 )more unraveling

4 ) some more ..

5 ) even the lock was broken

there are more pictures but you get it..

th

yingjie
Paneristi
yingjie
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 2:40 pm #2

Heart pain!!!!!!!!!!!

sgbing
Paneristi
sgbing
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 2:44 pm #3

Been on the list for Panerai 390 I found out that my chances of getting one where very slim so I decide to purchase one from one of the locals here and all was fine till the package arrive here in the US from Europe .
The package was held for 21 days by customs no explanation of why or when will be release and after many calls and e-mails here is what I got .
They complete destroy the boxes and not only that but they are couple items missing like the tags .
and on top of that they charge me $ 120.00 man .. I feel like I have been kick on my balls
Any one here know if I can get these boxes replace by Panerai ? I do not think US Customs will do any thing for me let along file a claim after all they are the government
lesson learn here make sure the boxes are 100 % protected maybe with double boxes and well .. you can figure out my opinion about UPS .
and here are some pics

2 ) first open

3 )more unraveling

4 ) some more ..

th
i hope you paid insurance ..

-- --

-- --
jai guru deva om

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 2:51 pm #4

and here are some pics

2 ) first open

3 )more unraveling

4 ) some more ..

th
They obviously didn't find what they were looking for but destroyed your property looking for it. I can't beleive there is no reprecussion for this......well actually I can

Where did you buy this from? A boutique? If so I'd call them and see if they can get your a replacement box even though they shouldn't have to, customs should be responsible for this. They are so stupid they don't even know how to open a box properly? What a joke....

hkgweilo
Paneristi
hkgweilo
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 2:51 pm #5

and here are some pics

2 ) first open

3 )more unraveling

4 ) some more ..

th
Probably looking for CITES cert in case it contained gator.

Not the first time. My friend had swiss customs break into his package with a $40,000 patek and didn't look any better than what you encountered. No note, no nothing...but the watch was there.

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 2:52 pm #6

They obviously didn't find what they were looking for but destroyed your property looking for it. I can't beleive there is no reprecussion for this......well actually I can

Where did you buy this from? A boutique? If so I'd call them and see if they can get your a replacement box even though they shouldn't have to, customs should be responsible for this. They are so stupid they don't even know how to open a box properly? What a joke....

ryan538
Paneristi
ryan538
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 2:53 pm #7

and here are some pics

2 ) first open

3 )more unraveling

4 ) some more ..

th
But its just superficial damage. Just the outerbox and the pin of the wooden box?

Come on, thats not worth the hassle. I would accept it and wear the unharmed 390.

panerai000
Paneristi
panerai000
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 3:01 pm #8

and here are some pics

2 ) first open

3 )more unraveling

4 ) some more ..

th
I just got a new Pam and I can only imagine how upset I would be if the boxing was in this condition. I'm terribly sorry to see this about my fellow paneristi! Hope the watch itself is in good condition and enjoy your panerai!

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 3:04 pm #9

But its just superficial damage. Just the outerbox and the pin of the wooden box?

Come on, thats not worth the hassle. I would accept it and wear the unharmed 390.
No way, that is his property, they have no right to damage it. If they wish to look through it to make sure of it's contents for safety reasons they should do so with caution. This is not acceptable, if you damage someone else's property no matter what the reason you're responsible and held liable for it, why should it be any different with customs? This is a very scary notion to me, even though I see where you're coming from, just be easy going and be glad that it wasn't worse

tc1881
Paneristi
tc1881
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 3:11 pm #10

and here are some pics

2 ) first open

3 )more unraveling

4 ) some more ..

th
Usually the customs will open a package in front of an UPS personnel.

Anyway, enjoy your new 390.

Talamansca
Paneristi
Talamansca
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 3:16 pm #11

of course I intent to enjoy my Panerai , but brother this is just wrong no other way to say it .
all the papers were complete nothing to it .. it is a just small box why ?

th

Talamansca
Paneristi
Talamansca
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 3:18 pm #12

Usually the customs will open a package in front of an UPS personnel.

Anyway, enjoy your new 390.
th

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 3:24 pm #13

of course I intent to enjoy my Panerai , but brother this is just wrong no other way to say it .
all the papers were complete nothing to it .. it is a just small box why ?

th
This is insanity, I would not stand for it and even if it was a dead end road, I would fight for compensation.

btinl
Paneristi
btinl
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 3:56 pm #14

and here are some pics

2 ) first open

3 )more unraveling

4 ) some more ..

th
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that there is much you can do.

B-Rad

berryman
Paneristi
berryman
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 3:57 pm #15

and here are some pics

2 ) first open

3 )more unraveling

4 ) some more ..

th
If you live in Europe buy in Europe. If you live in the US, buy in the US. Otherwise, this is what you risk having happen to you.

jess1970
New User
jess1970
New User

January 28th, 2012, 4:03 pm #16

and here are some pics

2 ) first open

3 )more unraveling

4 ) some more ..

th
Did you declare a value for the box to US customs?

ryan538
Paneristi
ryan538
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 4:19 pm #17

No way, that is his property, they have no right to damage it. If they wish to look through it to make sure of it's contents for safety reasons they should do so with caution. This is not acceptable, if you damage someone else's property no matter what the reason you're responsible and held liable for it, why should it be any different with customs? This is a very scary notion to me, even though I see where you're coming from, just be easy going and be glad that it wasn't worse

Indeed. Its not rocket science On the other hand, can you see the damage report for the insurance company? Torn cardboard box and broken metal pin. Good luck with the process though.

jacksonian71
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 4:26 pm #18

and here are some pics

2 ) first open

3 )more unraveling

4 ) some more ..

th
Does that suck? Yes. But is a damaged cardboard box worth fighting about? Not for me. And I'm not sure filing an insurance claim for a cardboard box or missing stickers will be very fruitful. I hate that happened, I'd be upset too.

As Eric said, that was customs, not UPS. And even if UPS was witnessing, can you imagine what a customs officer would say to a UPS employee if he was like, "Whoa there officer! Easy with that cardboard box!"

I don't like the idea of customs damaging anyone's property either. But it sure would be easy to smuggle bad things if they had to treat every item like a collector's watch. Just put the contraband in the lining of the case, right? I'm just glad they didn't. Damage the watch.

fullcourt1
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 4:34 pm #19

and here are some pics

2 ) first open

3 )more unraveling

4 ) some more ..

th
"
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

panerai4life
Paneristi

January 28th, 2012, 4:45 pm #20

and here are some pics

2 ) first open

3 )more unraveling

4 ) some more ..

th
"Time flies when you are ALIVE"
Greetings from the Land of Smiles...