OT: Not that you knew I was gone, but hey! I'm back!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

OT: Not that you knew I was gone, but hey! I'm back!

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 6:35 am #1

Due to various situations we missed our vacation last summer and were much the wearier for it this year. But this year we carved out the time and made sure we took our summer trip to the mountains. It's wonderful as it means 2+ weeks of virtually no internet contact, no work, no phones, no TV, no nothing but mountains, trails, lakes and relaxing on the porch just exactly as much as we want to. Being out of the loop really helps gel the family dynamic and also puts a proper (and much needed) perspective on what we all think of as "life". It refreshes the soul!

I haven't had a chance to really go through all the posts from while I was gone, so until I can please let me offer this: Congrats to all the new babies, weddings and promotions! Condolences to all the passings And SCRAM to all the trolls and haters, you know who you are, you shouldn't even be reading this

For the first time in nearly a decade I didn't bring any of my "nice" watches, I just brought my trusty G-Shock King, which I never even took a picture of. Lord knows I love the watch hobby, but I have to be honest... it was really nice to put it away for a few weeks, mainly because it gave me a real sense of pleasure to come back to it.

Anyways, here's some pics of what I've been up to for the last few weeks

The valley where we stay is a glacial valley, carved from the mountains over thousands of years.... and now preserved for hiking and happiness

Mountain streams abound (yeah, I said it), at this time of year the flowers are still around....

This view is looking back down the valley towards where our spot is....

This nicely sloped trail betrays the fact that all of this starts at 8k feet elevation and goes UPPPPP from there....

That white streak in the middle is a creek, it will show up a little later...

Now THAT is a sink hole, the water just goes underground here.

Bucolic much?

Even though the mountain water is probably safer than what comes out of my tap, I still sanitized this water because it's down stream from a relatively heavily camped area. Can you guess why? Yes, because I have gotten sick and yes it's AWFUL if it happens 60 seconds with the Steri-Pen and voila, the same delicious water with no nagging doubts

There's that same creek again... starting to get some perspective on how high we are!

This is the first in a series of lakes, this one is low enough that the mosquitos are a nightmare, just go on by... except that everyone thinks they can catch a fish here... they can't

At the next lake we're just under 10k feet elevation and the mosquitoes have mostly given up. The water is COOOOLD and I have a phobia of high mountain lakes, but I overcame it for the first time in 25 years and lept in anyways... obviously nothing ate me, though I thought it was about to happen any second!

Yes, I make the recognizable splash pattern of the Doughy Suburban American

There's several more lakes up higher, and they're stunning....

Back at base camp, even the cat seems to have settled in...

In the evenings for a few days the clouds came in (no rain though) and provided spectacular views off the back and front decks....

Our next hike took us up the other side of the valley, providing a clear view of the standard flat-bottomed U shape that defines glacial valleys...

These caterpillar birthing stations were *everywhere*, as were the resultant butterflies....

A look back at where we came from, we're not even half way up this trail, it's 2,000 feet and more of elevation gain from the valley floor to the lake we're headed to...

A typical high-Sierra switch back, luckily this one is very mild...

Another, this one is somewhat unusual in that it goes right around a ridge, sloping away on both sides...

Here's me and my goofy camping T-shirt, under a 12k foot peak (yes, I climbed it once long ago and will again I suppose)

Mini garden

A fox tail pine, these are some of the oldest living things in the world or so I've been told...

We've reached the first lake, but just like the other side of the valley at this time of year... lots of mosquitos... yuck, let's head higher up, there's a creek so there must be a lake right? Not necessarily, there's tons of springs, but I happen to know there's another lake up there of course...

And here it is. This dam was built by Con Edison with funding and help from the Civilian Conservation Corps way back when. Still standing, and makes the lake much bigger....

As you can see here....

My son and I (just visible at the lake edge on a rock) fishing with his great-grandfather's fly rod with the Dragon's Tooth (my name for it) in the back ground. Great-grand'pa would be very proud, we caught many trout and they were delicious

3pm, time to head back, it took us 5 hours to get here, so figure 3 hours to get home. Clouds moving in, no threat but very very pretty...

A last look up at the dam, always amazing to me, they hauled all that concrete up here and spent months piling those rocks up. I'm done after a single day hike!

The big tall thing near the center of the pic is the tallest cairn I've seen. I generally dislike cairns, but up here where there's no actual trail yeah... it's nice

Looking back at our bushwhack...

Heading down in the late afternoon and the clouds look really pretty....

Another hike in a day or two, but in the mean time here's my buddy! I know he's my buddy because he's in the kitchen sink every... single... night....

10 days in and 4 hikes and yeah, we need to go to the laundromat. Luckily it's an ancient gas-powered washer on the back deck, not a 2 hour drive down to the nearest town... where there's no laundromat anyways

Another day, another hike, this time up to some mines and caves in the quartz/limestone areas...

I just liked the coloration of this pinecone...

That looks inviting right? That black hole on the left is about 4 feet high, and if you go far enough down it you will see the river flowing underground. My son (9 years old) wasn't quite up for that much creepiness, so we went about 50 feet down and came back out, I was proud of him that he braved it at all!

Me with the thumbs up, good job kiddo!

A picture from the cave mouth looking back down the valley we hiked to get up here....

So instead of caving, we hiked up to the huge cirque at the end of the valley and found some gorgeous pools of crystal clear water. No need to sanitize here, the water comes directly out of the mountain from a spring....

The gorgeous geology is impossible to capture without seeing it in person....

One of many shaft mines, with an old beam in it. Much was made of the potential for gold and silver in this area, all for naught.

This is where the pools 3 pics back empty out... the water just comes out from under these rocks in the side of the mountain. Further down the creek it goes back under the rocks again. TONS of caves here, mostly unseen and will never be explored.

This is an inclusion in a quartz rock, it looks just like snow on a mountain, but this is about 8 inches tall...

Our way in... and out.... the sierra back country can be seen, just gorgeous rock and trees.

And lastly, the mountain flowers were just past their prime while we were there, but there were still a lot of beautiful blossoms....

Thanks for looking!

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

msw1912
Paneristi
msw1912
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 7:07 am #2

Got me away from the wet and miserable uk weather for a while, looks like a good time was had by all
Take care
M

dy4
Paneristi
dy4
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 7:16 am #3

Due to various situations we missed our vacation last summer and were much the wearier for it this year. But this year we carved out the time and made sure we took our summer trip to the mountains. It's wonderful as it means 2+ weeks of virtually no internet contact, no work, no phones, no TV, no nothing but mountains, trails, lakes and relaxing on the porch just exactly as much as we want to. Being out of the loop really helps gel the family dynamic and also puts a proper (and much needed) perspective on what we all think of as "life". It refreshes the soul!

I haven't had a chance to really go through all the posts from while I was gone, so until I can please let me offer this: Congrats to all the new babies, weddings and promotions! Condolences to all the passings And SCRAM to all the trolls and haters, you know who you are, you shouldn't even be reading this

For the first time in nearly a decade I didn't bring any of my "nice" watches, I just brought my trusty G-Shock King, which I never even took a picture of. Lord knows I love the watch hobby, but I have to be honest... it was really nice to put it away for a few weeks, mainly because it gave me a real sense of pleasure to come back to it.

The valley where we stay is a glacial valley, carved from the mountains over thousands of years.... and now preserved for hiking and happiness

Mountain streams abound (yeah, I said it), at this time of year the flowers are still around....

This nicely sloped trail betrays the fact that all of this starts at 8k feet elevation and goes UPPPPP from there....

Bucolic much?

Even though the mountain water is probably safer than what comes out of my tap, I still sanitized this water because it's down stream from a relatively heavily camped area. Can you guess why? Yes, because I have gotten sick and yes it's AWFUL if it happens 60 seconds with the Steri-Pen and voila, the same delicious water with no nagging doubts

There's that same creek again... starting to get some perspective on how high we are!

This is the first in a series of lakes, this one is low enough that the mosquitos are a nightmare, just go on by... except that everyone thinks they can catch a fish here... they can't

At the next lake we're just under 10k feet elevation and the mosquitoes have mostly given up. The water is COOOOLD and I have a phobia of high mountain lakes, but I overcame it for the first time in 25 years and lept in anyways... obviously nothing ate me, though I thought it was about to happen any second!

In the evenings for a few days the clouds came in (no rain though) and provided spectacular views off the back and front decks....

Our next hike took us up the other side of the valley, providing a clear view of the standard flat-bottomed U shape that defines glacial valleys...

These caterpillar birthing stations were *everywhere*, as were the resultant butterflies....

A look back at where we came from, we're not even half way up this trail, it's 2,000 feet and more of elevation gain from the valley floor to the lake we're headed to...

Another, this one is somewhat unusual in that it goes right around a ridge, sloping away on both sides...

Here's me and my goofy camping T-shirt, under a 12k foot peak (yes, I climbed it once long ago and will again I suppose)

Mini garden

A fox tail pine, these are some of the oldest living things in the world or so I've been told...

We've reached the first lake, but just like the other side of the valley at this time of year... lots of mosquitos... yuck, let's head higher up, there's a creek so there must be a lake right? Not necessarily, there's tons of springs, but I happen to know there's another lake up there of course...

And here it is. This dam was built by Con Edison with funding and help from the Civilian Conservation Corps way back when. Still standing, and makes the lake much bigger....

As you can see here....

My son and I (just visible at the lake edge on a rock) fishing with his great-grandfather's fly rod with the Dragon's Tooth (my name for it) in the back ground. Great-grand'pa would be very proud, we caught many trout and they were delicious

3pm, time to head back, it took us 5 hours to get here, so figure 3 hours to get home. Clouds moving in, no threat but very very pretty...

A last look up at the dam, always amazing to me, they hauled all that concrete up here and spent months piling those rocks up. I'm done after a single day hike!

The big tall thing near the center of the pic is the tallest cairn I've seen. I generally dislike cairns, but up here where there's no actual trail yeah... it's nice

Another hike in a day or two, but in the mean time here's my buddy! I know he's my buddy because he's in the kitchen sink every... single... night....

10 days in and 4 hikes and yeah, we need to go to the laundromat. Luckily it's an ancient gas-powered washer on the back deck, not a 2 hour drive down to the nearest town... where there's no laundromat anyways

Another day, another hike, this time up to some mines and caves in the quartz/limestone areas...

That looks inviting right? That black hole on the left is about 4 feet high, and if you go far enough down it you will see the river flowing underground. My son (9 years old) wasn't quite up for that much creepiness, so we went about 50 feet down and came back out, I was proud of him that he braved it at all!

A picture from the cave mouth looking back down the valley we hiked to get up here....

So instead of caving, we hiked up to the huge cirque at the end of the valley and found some gorgeous pools of crystal clear water. No need to sanitize here, the water comes directly out of the mountain from a spring....

One of many shaft mines, with an old beam in it. Much was made of the potential for gold and silver in this area, all for naught.

This is where the pools 3 pics back empty out... the water just comes out from under these rocks in the side of the mountain. Further down the creek it goes back under the rocks again. TONS of caves here, mostly unseen and will never be explored.

This is an inclusion in a quartz rock, it looks just like snow on a mountain, but this is about 8 inches tall...

Our way in... and out.... the sierra back country can be seen, just gorgeous rock and trees.

And lastly, the mountain flowers were just past their prime while we were there, but there were still a lot of beautiful blossoms....

Thanks for looking!

some time ago i also went in to the French mountains a lot. The air is so clean, it smells great over there and it's oh so beautiful...
damn i miss that, it's been 5y since i've been there...

Greetings from Belgium
David

nick.c
Paneristi
nick.c
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 7:37 am #4

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

Wow, that looked like an awesome holiday. Those pics are gorgeous, although I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to spiders!
Those lakes look soooo inviting too.
Thanks for sharing.

o/

TokyoSkier
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 7:37 am #5

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

Great photos, Micah! Thanks for sharing. (nt)

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 8:02 am #6

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

Looks beautiful there. Great photos.
Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

MarkSanders
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 8:41 am #7

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for sharing. Must have been a great vacation!

Greetings,

Mark Sanders

Gu5h
Paneristi
Gu5h
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 9:14 am #8

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

Beauty in them pics my friend! Looked like a great outdoors experience.
Thx for sharing : ))

GUSH

FrankV1
Paneristi
FrankV1
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 9:25 am #9

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

Night View DUOMO Firenze

nhattruyen
Paneristi
nhattruyen
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 10:30 am #10

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

Magnificent!!! Thanks Micah. nt

CharlesLC
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 11:15 am #11

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

or should we call you Hikah from now on?
terrific post.
c.

hongT
Paneristi
hongT
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 11:54 am #12

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

Beautiful photos & thx for th tour Micah!!

Cheers
HongT

jhb24
Paneristi
jhb24
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 12:08 pm #13

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

JB in Shaker

JB in Shaker

papillonvic
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 12:40 pm #14

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

Amazing scenery Micah ... thanks for sharing

I am sure it was the perfect way to forget about everything but Nature ,

all the best,

Vic

snoballz
Paneristi
snoballz
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 12:49 pm #15

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

more than a few days. Two weeks?!?! Looks really refreshing though. Thanks for sharing some peace and quiet.

-luke

shmeedr
Paneristi
shmeedr
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 12:52 pm #16

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

A good reminder that we have to get away from all of this technology every once in a while. Great post!

My Grails.

Ba Ba Booey.

Kevin Schmieder

Pam 111 N Series
Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610

mrpanerai
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 1:05 pm #17

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

I'm glad you had a nice vacation. Great pics.

hugewhaleshark
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 1:34 pm #18

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

"Aiyah Panerai, buay beh liao eh lah." / Singapore
"Agak gila Panerai." / Indonesia
"Owh, Besarnya!!!" / Malaysia
hugewhaleshark = Yeu Huan = SGRisti

cosmicmike
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 1:50 pm #19

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

a trip I'm sure you and your son will never forget. IMHO, beats a big city or beach trip any day!

Big D
360, 232,372
If You Don't Go, You Can't Come Back.
RIP BBQ & Drew

jadamo
Paneristi
jadamo
Paneristi

July 16th, 2012, 2:34 pm #20

Bucolic much?

Mini garden

As you can see here....

Thanks for looking!

Looks like it was a nice relaxing retreat
john

Ora et Labora