OT: Another Helson Bronze Thread

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

OT: Another Helson Bronze Thread

Shalomp
Paneristi
Shalomp
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 7:03 am #1

I see a lot of buzz surrounding the Helson Bronze Sharkdiver and the photos look equally stunning! Was having coffee with a friend the other day and we were discussing the amazing cult following of this watch amongst panerai lovers and that even on some rolex forums, they are talking about it with great interest!

suddenly it struck us that all this could be the makings of a new luxury watch brand. its not that difficult to fathom that one fine day richemont or LVMH might take close interest in the Helson name and acquire it and the story goes that prices will hit sky high and all previous owners of Helson would have effectively stumbled upon a goldmine.

what are your thoughts on this?

Bruno.M1
Paneristi
Bruno.M1
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 8:46 am #2

Ok, this is an answer from the bad guy. The one that isn't positive enough to post his thoughts.
So maybe you don't have to believe me.

The thing is.... The Helson brand offers nothing new or unique and it has no significant history. It' s just another new brand like dozens of others.
Maybe they are good and not too expensive but I can think of 50 other brands in the same situation.

LVMH, Swatch group or Richemont are not interested in these because like I said they have nothing special to offer. In fact if they would want to, they can create a similar brand in 5 minutes.

If they buy a new name you must think about important brands luke for example journe or if they had the money.... patek.
Probably some independants too but not just any brand that but ETA movements and puts them in a case, together with the dial, hands, .... They bought somewhere else.

Shalomp
Paneristi
Shalomp
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 10:21 am #3

Bruno,

i hear u but it has been proven empirically that a watch brand need not possess a decorated and "blue blood" history to rise to luxury brand status. hublot was founded in 1980 and in a span of 28 years got acquired by LVMH.

i believe many of us on this forum are way older than the hublot brand name so again i reiterate, its not too difficult to fathom that Helson may meet the same fate.

b.zanetti
Paneristi
b.zanetti
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 11:31 am #4

Ok, this is an answer from the bad guy. The one that isn't positive enough to post his thoughts.
So maybe you don't have to believe me.

The thing is.... The Helson brand offers nothing new or unique and it has no significant history. It' s just another new brand like dozens of others.
Maybe they are good and not too expensive but I can think of 50 other brands in the same situation.

LVMH, Swatch group or Richemont are not interested in these because like I said they have nothing special to offer. In fact if they would want to, they can create a similar brand in 5 minutes.

If they buy a new name you must think about important brands luke for example journe or if they had the money.... patek.
Probably some independants too but not just any brand that but ETA movements and puts them in a case, together with the dial, hands, .... They bought somewhere else.
I have to agree with you on this one. /nt

jibuti
Paneristi
jibuti
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 11:42 am #5

I see a lot of buzz surrounding the Helson Bronze Sharkdiver and the photos look equally stunning! Was having coffee with a friend the other day and we were discussing the amazing cult following of this watch amongst panerai lovers and that even on some rolex forums, they are talking about it with great interest!

suddenly it struck us that all this could be the makings of a new luxury watch brand. its not that difficult to fathom that one fine day richemont or LVMH might take close interest in the Helson name and acquire it and the story goes that prices will hit sky high and all previous owners of Helson would have effectively stumbled upon a goldmine.

"it is only water in stranger s tear"

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 1:06 pm #6

Parts bought from different suppliers and like Bruno said. Same as many other small time companies that are of little interest to large manufactures.

The popularity of them and a others is due to the Panerai bronze case and those that couldn't get one (or couldn't afford one) went and bought watches from other companies with similar bronze cases

Once the bronze case fad wears off. Will anyone really care?

Helson doesn't make anything and is not a manufacture. Large companies like Richemont buy a company that can add something to it's manufacturing or value to their company and these little companies don't.

DON

Shalomp
Paneristi
Shalomp
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 2:22 pm #7

DON,

thanks for your reply! this here paneristi owns not just the 382 and the helson but the ennebi too!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... ----------

Shalomp
Paneristi
Shalomp
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 2:25 pm #8

"it is only water in stranger s tear"
jibuti,

the ETA 2824? very dependable movement...

calitrev
Paneristi
calitrev
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 2:31 pm #9

Still scratching my head on why Helson of all watches seems to have a strong following on this forum????

Shalomp
Paneristi
Shalomp
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 2:37 pm #10

Trevor,

yeah pretty weird if you consider there are so many other watches out there but as someone has mentioned earlier its probably due to the bronze casing. what's even more weird is that it has a huge following among rolex owners too elsewhere

DrewWatson
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 3:09 pm #11

Essentially, I think it boils down to the bang for the buck factor. I don't have one myself, but am actively looking for one. Why? Just like the Panerai's we adore, I think it would be a fun watch to wear - and that's how I generally become interested in a new piece. I'm sure others here formulate their purchases based on that same premise.

Many enthusiasts/collectors of more upscale brands also find a place in their box for G-Shock's. Why? Maybe they think they're fun to wear, need a solid "beater" watch, or simply want some diversity within their collection. I think the Helson's, regardless of the case material, can fit that bill nicely. When you take into consideration what has said to be fantastic customer service, and a watch that you'll likely not see on many other wrists walking down the street, I find them pretty darn appealing.

They're not going to take the world by storm, but I do think they've done a fine job of bundling together a terrific value.

Drew

CowBiker
Paneristi
CowBiker
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 3:26 pm #12

As mentioned above, precieved value often comes up when discussing Microbrands such as Peter's brand(s). 'Luxury' has more to do with investments in building a brand identity/marketing, etc., emotional differentiators, above and beyond just quality (Swiss), and value, be it real or precieved.

While one posts of Hublot's rise, I feel the landscape is quite different now, and brands like Peter's face more challenges than mere brand building (and I say mere tounge in cheek, look at the luxury groups' marketing budgets and you'll get a sense for what that costs).

With ETA's decission to keep it to the Swatch group, it is reasonable to expect their movements to get more expensive and time consuming to obtain. One may expect others like Sellita and SoProd to fill in the void but this will take time. All of this may lead to higher movement costs for Micros and change their value proposition.

In short, Microbrands are more likely focussed on near term/intermediate term survival rather than aspirations/delusisons of becoming a luxury brand.

Shalomp
Paneristi
Shalomp
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 3:37 pm #13

Essentially, I think it boils down to the bang for the buck factor. I don't have one myself, but am actively looking for one. Why? Just like the Panerai's we adore, I think it would be a fun watch to wear - and that's how I generally become interested in a new piece. I'm sure others here formulate their purchases based on that same premise.

Many enthusiasts/collectors of more upscale brands also find a place in their box for G-Shock's. Why? Maybe they think they're fun to wear, need a solid "beater" watch, or simply want some diversity within their collection. I think the Helson's, regardless of the case material, can fit that bill nicely. When you take into consideration what has said to be fantastic customer service, and a watch that you'll likely not see on many other wrists walking down the street, I find them pretty darn appealing.

They're not going to take the world by storm, but I do think they've done a fine job of bundling together a terrific value.

Drew
Drew,

interesting u would point out that the appeal factor comes from owning a timepiece that is not worn by many.

some would say that owning a specific watch is just like owning its bragging rights. so would u agree that owning a helson is similar in essence that the wearer can "brag" that he possesses something that is one of a kind?

taking this a step further, would u agree that if helson became a luxury brand one day, prior helson owners to that event would stop liking their helson's since the "rare factor" has been destroyed?

Shalomp
Paneristi
Shalomp
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 3:51 pm #14

As mentioned above, precieved value often comes up when discussing Microbrands such as Peter's brand(s). 'Luxury' has more to do with investments in building a brand identity/marketing, etc., emotional differentiators, above and beyond just quality (Swiss), and value, be it real or precieved.

While one posts of Hublot's rise, I feel the landscape is quite different now, and brands like Peter's face more challenges than mere brand building (and I say mere tounge in cheek, look at the luxury groups' marketing budgets and you'll get a sense for what that costs).

With ETA's decission to keep it to the Swatch group, it is reasonable to expect their movements to get more expensive and time consuming to obtain. One may expect others like Sellita and SoProd to fill in the void but this will take time. All of this may lead to higher movement costs for Micros and change their value proposition.

In short, Microbrands are more likely focussed on near term/intermediate term survival rather than aspirations/delusisons of becoming a luxury brand.
Sean,

interesting! and i do agree that in today's age, albeit not impossible it gets harder for a brand to survive let alone rise in the world of horology. the barriers to entry are much more pronounced compared to say 30 years ago now that the market is dominated by specific key players.

panerai never had its much needed marketing push in its infant years and all it took was a celebrity sighting and a string of successive decisions to propel it to the brand today. in fact this story is all too familiar and extends beyond the realm of horology. i feel it all boils down to getting that first chance of being noticed.

calitrev
Paneristi
calitrev
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 3:56 pm #15

Dont want to sound like i hate micro's because i've owned more than my fair share, just never had the staying power to keep them! If you look at the line as a whole i see a bunch of Homages...Blancpain, Omega, Manometro and a 45mm dive case that about half dozen micro's are using... Thinking out loud i wonder how everyone would feel if they knocked off a Panerai?? That being said if you like the CS and prices i say go for it, the only person you need to make happy is yourself!

DrewWatson
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 4:10 pm #16

CowBiker
Paneristi
CowBiker
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 4:22 pm #17

Dont want to sound like i hate micro's because i've owned more than my fair share, just never had the staying power to keep them! If you look at the line as a whole i see a bunch of Homages...Blancpain, Omega, Manometro and a 45mm dive case that about half dozen micro's are using... Thinking out loud i wonder how everyone would feel if they knocked off a Panerai?? That being said if you like the CS and prices i say go for it, the only person you need to make happy is yourself!
Since 1978...

calitrev
Paneristi
calitrev
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 4:29 pm #18

Just sat backstage with Mike after a show in Santa Cruz last month! He has been a personal friend since 1997 and ive seen them countless time! A very good friend of mine chopped the top on his 54 and also built Kirk Hammetts 32!

calitrev
Paneristi
calitrev
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 4:38 pm #19

36, not 32!!!

DrewWatson
Paneristi

March 14th, 2012, 4:40 pm #20

Drew,

interesting u would point out that the appeal factor comes from owning a timepiece that is not worn by many.

some would say that owning a specific watch is just like owning its bragging rights. so would u agree that owning a helson is similar in essence that the wearer can "brag" that he possesses something that is one of a kind?

taking this a step further, would u agree that if helson became a luxury brand one day, prior helson owners to that event would stop liking their helson's since the "rare factor" has been destroyed?
could be directly associated with it's perceived exclusivity. Rolex probably leads the pack in this example. Honestly, I don't ever see Helson achieving "luxury brand" status now or anytime in the future. But, as long as someone is open-minded enough to compare apples to apples, I think there's a lot of enjoyment that can come from wearing something that isn't mainstream or easily recognized.

I'm speaking in generalities here since I don't have one, myself. But, I do feel that Helson (and some other micro-brands) are doing an honest job of trying to play their part a niche market with a small group of people as end customers. If they're successful with that undertaking, then I think they should be completely satisfied with their achievement in a very competitive industry.

As tiny as they are, some could say they're on that track right now. Why? People are talking about them (in a generally positive way) - and to the best of my knowledge, they don't advertise. All brands should be so fortunate.

Drew