OT: Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Positano travel advice.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

OT: Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Positano travel advice.....

scott0431
Paneristi

June 20th, 2012, 2:08 pm #1

I have a feeling that my fellow risti's can help me out with this one. I spent a few months in Sicily compliments of the Marine Corps back in 1995 in the Catania/Taormina area and have been trying to return to Italy ever since. My goal is to take my wife and children who are now 9 & 11 to Italy next summer. I can't really afford to go but then again who really can? This will be our "trip of a lifetime" so I want to do it up right but not too $$$. I think I have decided that the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Positano area will be our destination due to it's awesome location to Capri, Napoli, and Rome. The plan for now is in late June/ early July 2013 to fly from America to Napoli, stay about 7-8 days in the Amalfi Coast area, and then take the train to Rome for two day and fly from Rome back to America. This is were I'm looking for Risti help and advice. I would also love recommendations on places to stay that are faimily friendly and have beach access too in Amalfi as well as things to do, see, and eat. Please feel free to email me and many thanks in advance!

Scott M

"If I was on death row and given one last meal I would ask for a fortune cookie. "Come on 'long prosperous life!'"-
Mitch Hedburg

toulouse2
Paneristi
toulouse2
Paneristi

June 20th, 2012, 3:13 pm #2

My wife and I used Sorrento as our home base (a very beautiful and charming town). We would take day trips to all the islands, Capri, Positano, Amalfi, Ischia, etc. So we only had the one hotel, which was right in the center of town. (I'll have to ask the wife for the name of it). But having been to Italy many times, I would say every hotel I've ever stayed at has been kid friendly. There are so many people on motorbikes day and night, lets just say you'll be hard pressed to find a very quiet spot (though I'm sure they exist there, if you're not in the city). I'd imagine the islands would be much quieter due to many of the streets not having motor access, or very little compared to Sorrento or Rome, etc. Rick Steves has a nice tourism video on the Amalfi coast. You should rent it from the library for ideas.

Have a great trip. I will return one day when my two girls get a bit older myself. It truly is heaven on earth over there.

scott0431
Paneristi

June 20th, 2012, 3:43 pm #3

for the advice. I'll be on the lookout for the Rick Steves DVD. I love watching his shows on TV.

"If I was on death row and given one last meal I would ask for a fortune cookie. "Come on 'long prosperous life!'"-
Mitch Hedburg

toulouse2
Paneristi
toulouse2
Paneristi

June 20th, 2012, 5:58 pm #4

In Sorrento, the pier to all the boat launches was literally across the street from our hotel. You go down the steps, jump on the boat and twenty minutes later you're on an island. The road that hugs the coast is supposed to be an epic beautiful ride, but during our visit, an avalanche blocked the road so we had to only use the boats to travel to the other destinations. We didn't mind that, because the boat rides were beautiful in themselves and a fond memory in themselves. I've been to Sicily too. Amalfi Coast is like heaven, dude. You'll be happy with that choice.

scott0431
Paneristi

June 20th, 2012, 6:28 pm #5

I didn't think of that Close to the port is a major plus. How was the beach access there?

Mitch Hedburg

abunai
Paneristi
abunai
Paneristi

June 20th, 2012, 6:47 pm #6

I have a feeling that my fellow risti's can help me out with this one. I spent a few months in Sicily compliments of the Marine Corps back in 1995 in the Catania/Taormina area and have been trying to return to Italy ever since. My goal is to take my wife and children who are now 9 & 11 to Italy next summer. I can't really afford to go but then again who really can? This will be our "trip of a lifetime" so I want to do it up right but not too $$$. I think I have decided that the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Positano area will be our destination due to it's awesome location to Capri, Napoli, and Rome. The plan for now is in late June/ early July 2013 to fly from America to Napoli, stay about 7-8 days in the Amalfi Coast area, and then take the train to Rome for two day and fly from Rome back to America. This is were I'm looking for Risti help and advice. I would also love recommendations on places to stay that are faimily friendly and have beach access too in Amalfi as well as things to do, see, and eat. Please feel free to email me and many thanks in advance!

Scott M

Mitch Hedburg
Went to Almafi coast back in November with my wife and thoroughly enjoyed it. Its full of culture and its very charming. I also recommend using Sorrento as your main hub as transportation from Sorrento to Positano, Almafi Coast, etc. From Rome to Sorrento is a 1hr train ride if I remember correctly and its the last stop. We stayed at Palazzo Jannuzzi Relais for only 4 nts, which was at the central square where you had the 100 stairs leading to the dock for ferries. Due to our short stay, we had a packed itinerary. I think what we did was do a bus ride from Sorrento>Positano>Almafi Coast starting early morning stoping at each town to casually walk it. The bus stop was right in front of the train station, arrive early so you get a good seat. Roads are windy and I've heard of ppl getting motion sickness. Each town is different in its own way so make sure you give yourself enough time to walk it and snap pics. On the way back, we jumped on the ferry from Almafi Coast back to Sorrento. The nice part of that was the breathtaking view of the towns from the sea. Since you're staying longer, you could do day trips to each town and spend time on the beaches. Positano was my favorite of the 3. In Sorrento, we ate at Inn Buffalito and some seafood restaurant in the Marina area (Take a cab or bus if you go).

When you go to Capri, make sure you do the blue grotto. Tip the man that rows you into the grotto so you get to spend a bit more time in there. Well worth it. From there, ask to be dropped off at the steps next to the grotto, where you can jump on a bus to the tram that takes you to the top. This saves you a lot of time as you don't have to head back into the marina to jump on a bus. Think of it as going counter clockwise on the island.

In Naples, make sure to stop at Pizzeria Da Michele. Pizza in Naples is a must and we made a pit stop before heading to Rome. Its far easier to jump in a cab with all your luggage than to wheel it there. Its a 15 minute walk from the train station. Well worth the hassle for a Margherita.

Some of my research was done on trip advisor forums but most of it was from a Rick Steves book. Definitely pick one up as it highlights the must do's and also provides dining recommendations.

Happy planning!

toulouse2
Paneristi
toulouse2
Paneristi

June 20th, 2012, 6:59 pm #7

I didn't think of that Close to the port is a major plus. How was the beach access there?

Mitch Hedburg
- blocking the road, that's all.

As far as beaches, I didn't look for one on Sorrento. I know Positano had a beautiful one, and nice restaurants overlooking it. I remember lots of stones on the beaches though. It's not the smooth sand we have here.
On the plus side, there is the occasional topless woman there. Definitely research and call the hotels, (all of the desk people speak some English) to get answers and recommendations on whether their hotel has the things you're looking for. If beach access to your hotel is really big, check around for that.

scott0431
Paneristi

June 20th, 2012, 7:38 pm #8

Went to Almafi coast back in November with my wife and thoroughly enjoyed it. Its full of culture and its very charming. I also recommend using Sorrento as your main hub as transportation from Sorrento to Positano, Almafi Coast, etc. From Rome to Sorrento is a 1hr train ride if I remember correctly and its the last stop. We stayed at Palazzo Jannuzzi Relais for only 4 nts, which was at the central square where you had the 100 stairs leading to the dock for ferries. Due to our short stay, we had a packed itinerary. I think what we did was do a bus ride from Sorrento>Positano>Almafi Coast starting early morning stoping at each town to casually walk it. The bus stop was right in front of the train station, arrive early so you get a good seat. Roads are windy and I've heard of ppl getting motion sickness. Each town is different in its own way so make sure you give yourself enough time to walk it and snap pics. On the way back, we jumped on the ferry from Almafi Coast back to Sorrento. The nice part of that was the breathtaking view of the towns from the sea. Since you're staying longer, you could do day trips to each town and spend time on the beaches. Positano was my favorite of the 3. In Sorrento, we ate at Inn Buffalito and some seafood restaurant in the Marina area (Take a cab or bus if you go).

When you go to Capri, make sure you do the blue grotto. Tip the man that rows you into the grotto so you get to spend a bit more time in there. Well worth it. From there, ask to be dropped off at the steps next to the grotto, where you can jump on a bus to the tram that takes you to the top. This saves you a lot of time as you don't have to head back into the marina to jump on a bus. Think of it as going counter clockwise on the island.

In Naples, make sure to stop at Pizzeria Da Michele. Pizza in Naples is a must and we made a pit stop before heading to Rome. Its far easier to jump in a cab with all your luggage than to wheel it there. Its a 15 minute walk from the train station. Well worth the hassle for a Margherita.

Some of my research was done on trip advisor forums but most of it was from a Rick Steves book. Definitely pick one up as it highlights the must do's and also provides dining recommendations.

Happy planning!
Thank you so much Tony. It sounds like you had a great time!

Mitch Hedburg

scott0431
Paneristi

June 20th, 2012, 7:39 pm #9

- blocking the road, that's all.

As far as beaches, I didn't look for one on Sorrento. I know Positano had a beautiful one, and nice restaurants overlooking it. I remember lots of stones on the beaches though. It's not the smooth sand we have here.
On the plus side, there is the occasional topless woman there. Definitely research and call the hotels, (all of the desk people speak some English) to get answers and recommendations on whether their hotel has the things you're looking for. If beach access to your hotel is really big, check around for that.
Thanks again!

Mitch Hedburg