Opinions wanted re:PAM0098

Opinions wanted re:PAM0098

kjp1
Paneristi
kjp1
Paneristi

May 13th, 2009, 3:35 pm #1

I really like this watch as it has the GP movement, and is relatively affordable for a nice watch with an in-house movement. Can you guys give me your views regarding this model? Any positive or negative things to think about before purchase would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Keith.

Danne10
Paneristi
Danne10
Paneristi

May 13th, 2009, 5:45 pm #2

Hi,

i was offered to buy one and was tempted for the very same reason your stating, but i hesitated on the size, i wear a Luminor today.

But the alarm function and movement is really nice. It felt heavy and solid but i ended up passing on it.

I hope this helps..

// Danne

kjp1
Paneristi
kjp1
Paneristi

May 14th, 2009, 5:04 am #3

Thanks, that helps to hear another opinion.

Doc-Ernie
Paneristi
Doc-Ernie
Paneristi

May 14th, 2009, 5:29 am #4

I really like this watch as it has the GP movement, and is relatively affordable for a nice watch with an in-house movement. Can you guys give me your views regarding this model? Any positive or negative things to think about before purchase would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Keith.
The 98 is a great piece! Mine was very accurate, and the alarm loud enough to wake one from an afternoon snooze. I found the alarm accurate within about 4-5 minutes of what appeared to be the time set.
The two crowns are also a unique look that I miss. So for 42 mm I still think it looked great on my 6.75 inch wrist.

Cautions? Be careful in date setting and in particular setting the GMT, or second timezone. Read the manual carefully first. Date & time setting instructions are really nothing unusual, but the GMT can be set/changed only with the minute hand being between 12 and 4 (or between 0 and 20 minutes after the hour) as I recall (but please read the manual - don't rely on my memory). Once used to this method it is not a problem.

Here are a few pics of mine. The green tint of the numerals and markers is missing though from the pics, something which makes it even more eyecatching. Best of luck on your hunt!
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Dr. Ernie

nico1017
Paneristi
nico1017
Paneristi

May 14th, 2009, 4:56 pm #5

I owned one a few years ago and here are my impressions,

It actually wears on the wrist bigger than you would think. The movement is really nice but i had a problem with the gmt wheel, it never lined up properly and seemed a bit clunky to me. I also had a hard time with the green #s and endices. Mine happened to be an almost flourecent lime green and it was just to much for me as grew to prefer the patinated t's. I eventually moved it along to make room for other opritons better suited to me.

Having said all of that, if you like the style and how it wears than you should try one.

I provided some wrist shots for you

Good luck

Mark in California

kjp1
Paneristi
kjp1
Paneristi

May 15th, 2009, 4:00 am #6

The 98 is a great piece! Mine was very accurate, and the alarm loud enough to wake one from an afternoon snooze. I found the alarm accurate within about 4-5 minutes of what appeared to be the time set.
The two crowns are also a unique look that I miss. So for 42 mm I still think it looked great on my 6.75 inch wrist.

Cautions? Be careful in date setting and in particular setting the GMT, or second timezone. Read the manual carefully first. Date & time setting instructions are really nothing unusual, but the GMT can be set/changed only with the minute hand being between 12 and 4 (or between 0 and 20 minutes after the hour) as I recall (but please read the manual - don't rely on my memory). Once used to this method it is not a problem.

Here are a few pics of mine. The green tint of the numerals and markers is missing though from the pics, something which makes it even more eyecatching. Best of luck on your hunt!
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Dr. Ernie
Very informative. Thank you for taking the time, especially for including pictures! It's good to hear an honest opinion including things to watch for as well as the positives. Thanks again, Keith.

kjp1
Paneristi
kjp1
Paneristi

May 15th, 2009, 4:03 am #7

I owned one a few years ago and here are my impressions,

It actually wears on the wrist bigger than you would think. The movement is really nice but i had a problem with the gmt wheel, it never lined up properly and seemed a bit clunky to me. I also had a hard time with the green #s and endices. Mine happened to be an almost flourecent lime green and it was just to much for me as grew to prefer the patinated t's. I eventually moved it along to make room for other opritons better suited to me.

Having said all of that, if you like the style and how it wears than you should try one.

I provided some wrist shots for you

Good luck

Mark in California
You are the second person to alert me to the bright green indices;(something I will have to look at more closely). I really appreciate the feedback and photos. Thanks, Keith.

zymotic05
Paneristi
zymotic05
Paneristi

May 15th, 2009, 3:04 pm #8

... from my point of view PAM98 is based on the AS 5008 movement, the GP seems to be a bit different, 42 hours PR compared to 47 of the 98.
There are lots of watches around made by Eterna, B&M etc etc with a similar movement based on the AS 5008.
I don't like the alarm sound and crowded dial, would prefer a JlC Memovox.

-----------------------------------
190i 219i
Speedy Pro c1863 c1866

kjp1
Paneristi
kjp1
Paneristi

May 15th, 2009, 5:08 pm #9

I realize that many companies use other firms to build out or "finish" their movements, but everything I could find on the PAM0098 says that it uses a GP movement. I'll check it out, thanks. Keith.