OP Boutique Disappointment

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

OP Boutique Disappointment

majdeegans
Paneristi
majdeegans
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 12:01 pm #1

I don't want to complain but rather tell my story and ask the communities advice.

I got the call for a special piece from a boutique in a neighboring country. I promptly transferred the money to their account. After confirmation of payment we discussed my options to obtain the piece via telephone and e-mail (all emails were copied to the boutique manager). We agreed that my best and quickest option would be to have an acquaintance of mine, traveling in the area, stop by the boutique and either pick up the watch or sign the FEDEX slip in my place. Due to their policy they would not accept a faxed signature for shipment; only in store signatures. Anyway, my acquaintance did me the favor and signed in my place. About an hour after speaking with my acquaintance I get an e-mail telling me in the first sentence that my acquaintance signed the FEDEX slip and then with the second sentence telling me that we cannot proceed in this way. I called the manager and he apologized but told me that the only options I have are to arrange pick up or go to the store to sign the FEDEX slip. I expressed my discontent to him politely and clearly.

What I don't understand is why it was offered to me as an option in the first place? why the manager did not intervene when you he the option offered in the e-mail correspondence? why the boutique employee allowed the FEDEX slip to be signed? or why the employee did not instruct my acquaintance to just take the watch with him? Not only is my time and money being wasted but now I involved a friend of mine for no reason and made him waste his time as well.

Any recommendations on how to handle this?

This whole situation has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I will most likely organize courier pick up myself and hope for an apology and/or goodwill gesture from Panerai ... but I'm not holding my breath. I guess I will stick with the ADs.

-M

mrpanerai
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 12:55 pm #2

of trying to "OVER" accommodate a customer. I call it the good will factor.

But what happens is we leave us(the manger) or the company exposed and have to backtrack. I'm sure they are sorry for you inconvenience.

majdeegans
Paneristi
majdeegans
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 2:18 pm #3

That makes sense Russell. And I honestly believe it was a case of the boutique trying to over accommodate me and then needing to backtrack.

I just wish it didn't leave my good friend inconvenienced as well.

Thanks for your take on the situation!

-M

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 2:48 pm #4

I don't want to complain but rather tell my story and ask the communities advice.

I got the call for a special piece from a boutique in a neighboring country. I promptly transferred the money to their account. After confirmation of payment we discussed my options to obtain the piece via telephone and e-mail (all emails were copied to the boutique manager). We agreed that my best and quickest option would be to have an acquaintance of mine, traveling in the area, stop by the boutique and either pick up the watch or sign the FEDEX slip in my place. Due to their policy they would not accept a faxed signature for shipment; only in store signatures. Anyway, my acquaintance did me the favor and signed in my place. About an hour after speaking with my acquaintance I get an e-mail telling me in the first sentence that my acquaintance signed the FEDEX slip and then with the second sentence telling me that we cannot proceed in this way. I called the manager and he apologized but told me that the only options I have are to arrange pick up or go to the store to sign the FEDEX slip. I expressed my discontent to him politely and clearly.

What I don't understand is why it was offered to me as an option in the first place? why the manager did not intervene when you he the option offered in the e-mail correspondence? why the boutique employee allowed the FEDEX slip to be signed? or why the employee did not instruct my acquaintance to just take the watch with him? Not only is my time and money being wasted but now I involved a friend of mine for no reason and made him waste his time as well.

This whole situation has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I will most likely organize courier pick up myself and hope for an apology and/or goodwill gesture from Panerai ... but I'm not holding my breath. I guess I will stick with the ADs.

-M
Especially when you have, as Russell said, an enthusiastic policy to accommodate the customer carried out by different people, usually with varying results.

Sounds like it's time for a road trip to me

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

patrick-belgium
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 3:30 pm #5

-M
of how to treat the client !! I presume this is only the beginning of how the Boutiques are handling their goods ... I read not so long ago the same story in this forum on how a guy got a mail from the boutique in Paris who's watch arrived, to accept the payment they didn't have a problem, but sending a box with a watch in it seems like not possible any more ???? this is a joke, right ????
Do they expect customers to travel hundreds of kilometers to pick up a watch ? or are they thinking that everyone lives just around the corner ??

I'd asked my money back very simply and buy it at your nearest AD !!

P@trick

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 4:17 pm #6

Are you suggesting that because a couple of customers (out of probably thousands) had unfortunate experiences it's a sign that the boutiques are unable to give good service?

If you're expecting the boutiques to have a track record of perfect customer service with anything less being a bellwether of demise I think you're expectations aren't taking reality into account. It's frustrating and annoying, yes, but sometimes things just get a little botched up. The mark of success isn't how we deal with success, it's how we deal with failure, and in my experience the boutiques usually do the right thing when a mistake is made or expectations aren't met. Maybe before heralding the failure of the boutiques based on one or two stories on the internet you might give them a chance to show they can make things right?

pdutta2000
Paneristi
pdutta2000
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 4:48 pm #7

-M
Find a weekend, go to Paris, enjoy your new watch and the City of Lights. Life's full of difficult decisions...this one is easy.

patrick-belgium
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 5:49 pm #8

Are you suggesting that because a couple of customers (out of probably thousands) had unfortunate experiences it's a sign that the boutiques are unable to give good service?

If you're expecting the boutiques to have a track record of perfect customer service with anything less being a bellwether of demise I think you're expectations aren't taking reality into account. It's frustrating and annoying, yes, but sometimes things just get a little botched up. The mark of success isn't how we deal with success, it's how we deal with failure, and in my experience the boutiques usually do the right thing when a mistake is made or expectations aren't met. Maybe before heralding the failure of the boutiques based on one or two stories on the internet you might give them a chance to show they can make things right?

1 .. managing boutiques is "new" for OP (with exeption of a few in Italy)
2 they don't have a relationship with their customers like AD's who are selling their brand for more than 10 yrs
3 not every customer is interested in spreading bad news on 'a' forum, never mind which one
4 staff in those boutiques are mostly 'young' and half of them probably will sell you a car tomorrow if they have a better salary by doing so
5 I heard more than 'a few' of these stories, in fact I'm sure I can entertain you a whole evening with it
6 OP is only interested in satisfying their shareholders, that means maximum profit for minimum service, i'm ok with that, it's how economy goes these days, except i'm they guy who decides to put my money on the counter or not
7 I collect Pams since 2001 which gives me a bit of a view of how things work or don't these days

I'm a big fan of Panerai but I'm far from sure if I like the way they deal with their clients these days, maybe you don't have a problem with that but I do.

P@trick

Bruno.M1
Paneristi
Bruno.M1
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 6:30 pm #9

Hey that's my first '+1' I ever posted

But I have to agree on every single point

I won't use his/her name but the person I mailed with in Firenze is indeed a great person. So there are ofcourse great boutiques. But I'm afraid I can tell you pretty bad stories too.

2 they don't have a relationship with their customers like AD's who are selling their brand for more than 10 yrs

Yup, a few days ago I posted a youtube link. It was an interview with the Patek CEO and he said thay are not interested in boutiques.
A few boutiques are good but they don't want a big network ( 50 boutiques or so)
Their job is making watches and they know their AD their job is selling watches. The AD does know his clients and knows who are collectors and who are the flippers. I know people who asked for a PAM390 is more than 1 boutique and they got more than 1. All of them were sold for a big profit.
I guess these boutiques didn't know the difference between a flipper and collector
BTW, I didn't get one. No problem, you can't get everything you want.
But still ....

3 not every customer is interested in spreading bad news on 'a' forum, never mind which one

not even 5% of the people who buy Panerai do post on forums like these.

4 staff in those boutiques are mostly 'young' and half of them probably will sell you a car tomorrow if they have a better salary by doing so

Without doubt.

5 I heard more than 'a few' of these stories, in fact I'm sure I can entertain you a whole evening with it

And if your stories are told... I can continue LOL

6 OP is only interested in satisfying their shareholders, that means maximum profit for minimum service, i'm ok with that, it's how economy goes these days, except i'm they guy who decides to put my money on the counter or not

Passion .... for money

7 I collect Pams since 2001 which gives me a bit of a view of how things work or don't these days

In the same boat here. Panerai since more than 10 years, other brands since almost 20 years
But it's the first brand which forces me to buy in a boutique if I want a special piece
IWC, JLC, Lange, Patek, Zenith ..... all of them do make special and hard to get pieces. But only 1 is so arrogant to keep these watches for their own network.

I'm a big fan of Panerai but I'm far from sure if I like the way they deal with their clients these days, maybe you don't have a problem with that but I do.

I'll wait for 2013. SIHH 2013.
If they decide to keep the LE once again for their boutiques I'll bought my last piece in 2012............. And I hope a lot of people will follow

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 6:39 pm #10

P@trick

Most of what you've listed could be said of any company opening a slew of new sales points, no just Panerai.

I just think that saying "...I presume this is only the beginning of how the Boutiques are handling their goods..." is a premature judgement... as you mentioned running multiple boutiques around the globe new for Panerai so I'd guess that there's going to be some stumbles here and there, and beyond that every company makes mistakes, whether they're new or old, whether it's a sole proprietorship or a multi-thousand employee juggernaut.

As far as complaints go, I think everyone is aware that people tend to be far more vocal when they have an axe to grind. So while the individual complaints may be valid, in total that data has to be understood as skewed. For every complaint about a boutique I wonder how many satisfied customers walk out the doors that we never hear from? Judging by Panerai's success in the last decade it must be a few...

All I'm really trying to get at is that you seem to be predicting that the boutiques are embarking on a campaign of poor service, and I don't think that's true, so I'm offering my opinion to the contrary. We both have our point of view and that's what makes the world go 'round.

And for the record; of course I'm not OK with businesses treating their clients poorly, Panerai or otherwise. I'm just suggesting that Panerai, like any company, will drop the ball on occasion. Hopefully they make the individual failures right and correct any endemic problems moving forward, which has generally been my experience with them. If they don't then I agree with you, it's not OK.

mrpanerai
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 7:18 pm #11

P@trick

is more disappointed in OP than its retailers. They are the one that built the business the last 10yrs. I agree with you that OP needs to iron out some of its bugs in retail, either you sell a watch to a customer in another country and provide shipping, or you don't take the customers money AT ALL!

gfriedell
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 7:23 pm #12

P@trick

Both factually false as well as simply your personal negative bias, but your portrayal of the boutique staffs I find not only completely wrong, but also somewhat offensive.

In my experience, every boutique staff person I have encountered has been professional, passionate and completely dedicated to customer satisfaction. While it's certainly true that no matter how hard they try there will always be some situations where it is not possible to fully satisfy the customer. This can be due to factors beyond the boutiques control, corporate policies, or perhaps customer expectations that are not in line with the authority of the boutique staff. But I've found they will always try to the utmost.

For you to dismiss them all by saying :

"staff in those boutiques are mostly 'young' and half of them probably will sell you a car tomorrow if they have a better salary by doing so"

Is so rude and dismissive to many of the staff people who have been with the boutiques for many years.

Chad, Tanya, Patrizia, Barbara, Giuseppe, Alex, Lindsay, Sharif, Gabriella and many others are all people I have personally dealt with and most of them have been employed by the boutiques much longer than a person who's only interest is to keep a chair warm waiting for the next job to come along with a better salary. There service and dedication speak for themselves. In my experience there are only a handful of AD's who can offer the service, knowledge and passion that these folks can provide.

Perhaps your experience has been different, but I think you will find a lot of very satisfied boutique customers here, and a few disgruntled souls shouting the loudest.

So, I don't think there will ever be any agreement on this subject. Those who are dissatisfied with OP's business model will find fault with whatever they do and those who don't will post threads on Paneristi.com about the watches we love

"But sometimes when you bring the thunder, you get lost in the storm."

dcvelo
Paneristi
dcvelo
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 7:32 pm #13

-M
At least you did not go to Costco to buy your Pam, that in itself would be a different watch experience....
Just saying.....

majdeegans
Paneristi
majdeegans
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 7:42 pm #14

-M
The staff at the boutique were all professional, polite, and enthusiastic. I honestly believe it was the "over accommodation" that Russell mentioned but in the end the company policy won out.

Am I satisfied with my experience ... no not yet, but the experience isn't over so I can't write it off yet. Should I have waited until the dealings were done to post this? Maybe. But I'm not perfect either. I mainly wrote it to hear different points of view on the subject to help me approach it in the best way possible

majdeegans
Paneristi
majdeegans
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 7:49 pm #15

Both factually false as well as simply your personal negative bias, but your portrayal of the boutique staffs I find not only completely wrong, but also somewhat offensive.

In my experience, every boutique staff person I have encountered has been professional, passionate and completely dedicated to customer satisfaction. While it's certainly true that no matter how hard they try there will always be some situations where it is not possible to fully satisfy the customer. This can be due to factors beyond the boutiques control, corporate policies, or perhaps customer expectations that are not in line with the authority of the boutique staff. But I've found they will always try to the utmost.

"staff in those boutiques are mostly 'young' and half of them probably will sell you a car tomorrow if they have a better salary by doing so"

Is so rude and dismissive to many of the staff people who have been with the boutiques for many years.

Chad, Tanya, Patrizia, Barbara, Giuseppe, Alex, Lindsay, Sharif, Gabriella and many others are all people I have personally dealt with and most of them have been employed by the boutiques much longer than a person who's only interest is to keep a chair warm waiting for the next job to come along with a better salary. There service and dedication speak for themselves. In my experience there are only a handful of AD's who can offer the service, knowledge and passion that these folks can provide.

Perhaps your experience has been different, but I think you will find a lot of very satisfied boutique customers here, and a few disgruntled souls shouting the loudest.

So, I don't think there will ever be any agreement on this subject. Those who are dissatisfied with OP's business model will find fault with whatever they do and those who don't will post threads on Paneristi.com about the watches we love

I hope I'm not a disgruntled soul and I wish I was posting about my watch instead ...

patrick-belgium
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 8:39 pm #16

...as I am also a loyal customer to some brands, but that doesn't make me blind

neither have storms kept me away from sailing back safely to my home port.

sincere regards,

P@trick

gfriedell
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 8:46 pm #17

I hope I'm not a disgruntled soul and I wish I was posting about my watch instead ...
You've got a right to be frustrated when something that seems like it should be simple gets complex.

But you've described what's happening without assigning blame or making disparaging accusations.

It seems like perhaps the boutiques are in the midst of changing their procedures and your transaction came at a time when there was some uncertainty with the proper way to handle it. This doesn't excuse the hassles you've encountered. I hope you'll have your new watch on your wrist soon. I guess in a sense we're lucky to have these kinds of luxury problems

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 8:53 pm #18

-M
I tried to get a 367 from one of the China boutiques and was told the same thing. However I've delt with both the NYC and BH Boutiques and have never had an issue. I think it's the shipping out of the country thing...customs...etc. Yeah it's a very annoying situation you're in, it seems like someone made a mistake, it is unfortunate that their mistake is now your problem, as I've said this is nothing I've experienced.

Are you able to have a local friend pick it up for you and then ship it out independently? I know this was an option for my from China. You may have to get a refund from the boutique and transfer it to your friends account so they can walk in and pay for the watch, then leave and ship it to you. I know that's a hassle but it's an idea

Good luck m8

gfriedell
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 8:58 pm #19

...as I am also a loyal customer to some brands, but that doesn't make me blind

neither have storms kept me away from sailing back safely to my home port.

sincere regards,

P@trick

Just because you have an issue with the brand, it doesn't excuse bashing the people.

That's all I wished to say on the matter. Your "loyalty" is not an issue for me.

KennyS001
Paneristi
KennyS001
Paneristi

May 22nd, 2012, 9:12 pm #20

P@trick

I agree with most of what you say here, Patrick. Cheers, Kenny S