Ok, so lemme say it… I don’t like the Bronzo >>>>>

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Ok, so lemme say it… I don’t like the Bronzo >>>>>

Gu5h
Paneristi
Gu5h
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 3:23 pm #1

Before you flame on - please hear me out. I have the upmost respect for Panerai and a great love of this community - always. However there are watches which are released which catch a fever and become hot property which sometimes I dont understand - the Bronzo is one such watch.

I just wanted to start a healthy (and positive) discussion about a passion which we all share on this site : )) Im not down on the Bronzo in anyway and mean no disrespect to the people who have bought one (actually wish them the best and am happy for them in their excitement) - its just that I dont feel it to be that special, even if it is an SE : ) ironic I know.

Panerai needs to appeal to a broad audience and I understand, respect and celebrate that we all have different tastes. Some love 47mm only - my Brother in Law (aka BIL aka J-F), some love base, some buy into precious metals, others want pure DNA, it goes on and on

So what is it that I dislike about the 382 Bronzo? Well its probably what everyone else loves about it (its often the way).
Firstly I dont love the bronze (key I know), how it ages and the discolouration. I understand the nautical reference but hey, teak is used on boats and sailing ships and I wouldn't want a teak watch either : )
Then the green dial - really not sure, gimme brown or black - boring I know but Im a creature of comfort!
Like I have said - Im sure the above are the main reasons that people love the Bronzo but it just doesn't do anything for me personally.

Question in my head is - do people love the Bronzo because its such hot property or because they genuinely love the look and feel? What if it wasn't a SE and produced in the same numbers as say the 372? Would there still be such a fever? I love the 372 and like the fact its attainable by all to share and grow our passion.

So what are your thoughts - love the Bronzo - or not so much? (think I already know the answer and Im happy to be in the minority here).

Are there any other hot Panerai which youve never quite understood why theyre sooo hot?

OR - are there some which should be much hotter property than they currently are?

Would love to hear your thoughts in the spirit of respectful discussion.

Have a great weekend all - with or without your Bronzos : ))

GUSH

r2amg
Paneristi
r2amg
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 3:33 pm #2

I have a Bronzo. I changed the strap to one made by Rob Montana that is thicker and lighter in color, and had a bronze buckle made by Simona to substitute for the one supplied by Panerai. While I personally don't find the 305's similar design as appealing in its material I do like the 382. It attracts a lot of positive conversation with other watch enthusiasts, including but not limited to Panerisi. It is comfortable to wear, I don't care one way or the other about the discoloration, all in all I find it fun to wear. I wonder whether you might feel differently if you had one set up like mine to wear and enjoy yourself and with others.

Mr_Fugazy
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 3:38 pm #3

Before you flame on - please hear me out. I have the upmost respect for Panerai and a great love of this community - always. However there are watches which are released which catch a fever and become hot property which sometimes I dont understand - the Bronzo is one such watch.

I just wanted to start a healthy (and positive) discussion about a passion which we all share on this site : )) Im not down on the Bronzo in anyway and mean no disrespect to the people who have bought one (actually wish them the best and am happy for them in their excitement) - its just that I dont feel it to be that special, even if it is an SE : ) ironic I know.

Panerai needs to appeal to a broad audience and I understand, respect and celebrate that we all have different tastes. Some love 47mm only - my Brother in Law (aka BIL aka J-F), some love base, some buy into precious metals, others want pure DNA, it goes on and on

So what is it that I dislike about the 382 Bronzo? Well its probably what everyone else loves about it (its often the way).
Firstly I dont love the bronze (key I know), how it ages and the discolouration. I understand the nautical reference but hey, teak is used on boats and sailing ships and I wouldn't want a teak watch either : )
Then the green dial - really not sure, gimme brown or black - boring I know but Im a creature of comfort!
Like I have said - Im sure the above are the main reasons that people love the Bronzo but it just doesn't do anything for me personally.

Question in my head is - do people love the Bronzo because its such hot property or because they genuinely love the look and feel? What if it wasn't a SE and produced in the same numbers as say the 372? Would there still be such a fever? I love the 372 and like the fact its attainable by all to share and grow our passion.

So what are your thoughts - love the Bronzo - or not so much? (think I already know the answer and Im happy to be in the minority here).

Are there any other hot Panerai which youve never quite understood why theyre sooo hot?

OR - are there some which should be much hotter property than they currently are?

GUSH
I admit that I've never been turned on by the 382. I think it's interesting; I don't think it's ugly, it just doesn't tickle my pickle; I do hate the nickname (but then I hate "Fiddy" too--makes me cringe each time I see/hear it--which means I'm cringing at this moment (could we not appoint an official Panerai nickname committee composed of people who graduated from high school?)); I do regret not getting one, but only because I missed out on the puzzling instant increase in value (but I can't whine, I've got a 195 and 217 I bought at retail).

There, now I feel better. Should we talk about presidential candidates next?

Kirk

jmridgway
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 3:41 pm #4

GUSH
First off, full disclosure, I don't own one.

I actually love the bronze. I don't love or hate the green dial. Black or brown would be fantastic, but the green is just fine. I think it is a fantastic looking watch, but have no interest in buying one, primarily due to the price. SE or not doesn't matter to me, but the Bronzo doesn't appeal to me at the going rate.

I also have the same problems with it I have with the 305 - the exhibition back and depth rating. Yes, I know they are the first subs with the in-house movements, but not all in-house movements HAVE to be on display. If you want to look at a P.9000, get a 312, but for goodness sake, put a solid back on anything called "Submersible". The depth rating is fine for my purposes, heck my Subs don't go deeper than a swimming pool, but it greatly enhances the "tool" appeal to me for a "Submersible" watch to have a depth rating superior to a standard Luminor. Give me a 243 or 285 anyday over the P.9000 subs. Put a solid back and 1000m on the dial and crown guard on the 305 and Bronzo and they start speaking to me.....

Just one man's 0.02 worth

Gregesq
Paneristi
Gregesq
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 3:47 pm #5

GUSH
I like you and I like the Bronzo. I didn't sign up for it when it came out, but I've grown to really like it through the pics and strap combos posted over the last year or so. One thing I like about it is that it's a totally unique Panerai; kind of like the 249. (yeah, oops).
Regarding the metal itself and its properties, I love the poor man's bronzo that I bought, including the patina and the way it looks on different straps. So, if I had the chance, I would buy a 382 for retailish. If your influential voice as an OG Risti has the effect of drastically driving down prices and flooding the market, I owe you a steak.
Best,
Greg

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 3:47 pm #6

GUSH
Its funny because you knew the 382 was gonna be the hot watch for 2011, but I never got on the list, I've just never been a fan of that dial honestly. I love the idea of the watch, and the color they used on the dial, but the drastic pantina and the color of the watch, I'm just not into it. I thought I was the only one! Guess not

coloristi
Paneristi
coloristi
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 3:58 pm #7

GUSH
For me, the 382 does very little. I'm not blown away by it, and I don't hate it. It's just never spoken to me. I enjoy the enthusiasm for it and all the pictures, but it's not a watch for me.

YetiBiker
Paneristi
YetiBiker
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 4:14 pm #8

GUSH
I think it basically boils down to "Does the watch sing to me". For some it is melodic, for some its noise. It seems that for the owners of this cool piece, it is a beautiful symphony. I am down with that.

Personally, for me, I just I can't appreciate the beauty that others find in the Bronzo.

I am not very sophisticated nor cultured..so please take my views with a grain of salt

Blake_P
Paneristi
Blake_P
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 4:16 pm #9

GUSH
I would offer to take the ugly watch off their hands in an instant! =-P

JohnSim
Paneristi
JohnSim
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 4:18 pm #10

GUSH
just 'cause you didn't get one!

LOL... hey to each their own Gush...

Interestingly, I started out the same.
However, I have always loved the style of the 305...
In fact, I purchased one direct from the boutique right when they came out.
I like the double hash mark '12' hour indicator throw back.
Then the bronzo came out and I was like, meh...

Fast forward to now and I drool over them. It's nothing to do with the 'value' either since I didn't get one from Panerai. I had to foot the flipper price.

Regardless, I enjoy it and honestly think it's one of the best watches they have ever made post-vendome! Now go ahead and flame me!!!

-------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face - GT

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 4:18 pm #11

I would offer to take the ugly watch off their hands in an instant! =-P

AurelioS
Paneristi
AurelioS
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 4:21 pm #12

GUSH
My preference would be for a 44mm Sub, with a dark-blue, and just every so slightly metallic dial. That would be a tasty critter

The green dial is something to get used to; I would have preferred a touch darker color, myself; however, it is a really nice watch that
has presence. For the list (or now, over list) price, I would probably look at some others first, Panerai or not. But with a larger collection,
I would give this serious consideration.

I'm also holding out until another year or so goes by. Curious as to how this puppy ages over time.... is there a point where rubbing ketchup
may not help 'restore' its original finish?

Heard there's another Bronzo model coming for next year; very interested in seeing that one

Nice to see you out of the closet, G :-P

Got to keep on shufflin'!

J-F.
Paneristi
J-F.
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 4:34 pm #13

GUSH
In first I have to say that rarely one watch gave me a such emotion like the 382 gave me when I had the chance to try and manipulate one in the OP headquarters, the 382 is stunning and equilibrated : wow ! so unique !

But, because there is a " but ", the fact to wear a " yellow " watch was a " no way " for me ... too " show off " or too visible ? the problem is there I think in a personal culture question.
The second " no way " was the " " how will it age ? " I have in my memory the reminder of the contact with a greenish bronze and I disliked it ... I don't know how is the feeling when you have a contact with a patinated 382 but the reminds from the kindness are so important in an adult's life

Feisar
Paneristi
Feisar
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 4:36 pm #14

Its funny because you knew the 382 was gonna be the hot watch for 2011, but I never got on the list, I've just never been a fan of that dial honestly. I love the idea of the watch, and the color they used on the dial, but the drastic pantina and the color of the watch, I'm just not into it. I thought I was the only one! Guess not

At the GTG for Daniel back in December. I think you were quite fond of it and looking for one, but I'm sure we change our opinions over time. ))

Cheers,
Terry Hudson

No. 119

'I've got a few roos loose in the top paddock'

Alexandria, VA

17noir
Paneristi
17noir
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 4:37 pm #15

GUSH
For some reason it is starting to grow on me. Would be sweeter if it wasn't green but so is my Rolex. Can't complaint.

I have not tried it on so can't comment on that. If the price is more affordable for the regular joe then it would be next on my list.

You know years ago when I first encounter Panerai, I thought it was ugly. There I said it. Then as I did more research about this brand and models, I fell in love with it. Now I think they are one of the best looking and interesting watches around.

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 4:46 pm #16

GUSH
When I've seen them and worn them I like it, but frankly the LE status and the hype surrounding it turns me off.

Let me put it this way: If Bronzo were regular production and I wanted a sub that would be the one I'd get. I love the way it changes and develops patina over time, it's an unusual material, and I like the green dial.

But I don't like any of those things enough to go through all the hassle and significant expense of finding one given their status as a hot LE model.

As for other hot PAM's that I've never quite understood, that would be the 339. No offense to those who dig it, but personally I just don't get it. The material is weird, the wrist feel is weird, the all-brown color combo is weird, the MM dial on a watch so very not historic is weird... the whole thing is odd to me.

As for PAM's that I don't understand why they aren't hotter, 390. While I myself am not a huge 390 fan I just can't figure out why this model hasn't tripled in price on the secondary market and become almost impossible to find. Instead it looks like you can have them all day at barely above MSRP. I mean... 44mm luminor, brown dial, gold hands, text on the top, first of it's kind, the whole thing seems to me like a massive hit, but it just doesn't seem to have caught fire. Sorta like the 232 I guess.

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

mrpanerai
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 5:06 pm #17

GUSH
I like the size. If it were up to me there would never have been a 243

just the 305 in steel.

I like the color of the 382, but not a fan of the againg process. I see

to many old watch. I also prefer a darker dial, brown or black.

I do agree with most, if this were regular production I might try my

hand at it but not at LE status.

JohnSim
Paneristi
JohnSim
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 5:16 pm #18

When I've seen them and worn them I like it, but frankly the LE status and the hype surrounding it turns me off.

Let me put it this way: If Bronzo were regular production and I wanted a sub that would be the one I'd get. I love the way it changes and develops patina over time, it's an unusual material, and I like the green dial.

But I don't like any of those things enough to go through all the hassle and significant expense of finding one given their status as a hot LE model.

As for other hot PAM's that I've never quite understood, that would be the 339. No offense to those who dig it, but personally I just don't get it. The material is weird, the wrist feel is weird, the all-brown color combo is weird, the MM dial on a watch so very not historic is weird... the whole thing is odd to me.

As for PAM's that I don't understand why they aren't hotter, 390. While I myself am not a huge 390 fan I just can't figure out why this model hasn't tripled in price on the secondary market and become almost impossible to find. Instead it looks like you can have them all day at barely above MSRP. I mean... 44mm luminor, brown dial, gold hands, text on the top, first of it's kind, the whole thing seems to me like a massive hit, but it just doesn't seem to have caught fire. Sorta like the 232 I guess.

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.
It's actually the gold hands that ruin that watch for me.

Love the brown dial though. I just am maybe too much of a purest, but gold hands belong on the 47mm vintage historics, not on a 44mm watch.
Now if those who feel like they can't wear a 47mm want what something tied to the vintage watches then I get it, but that's not me.

-------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face - GT

LUCCHAO
Paneristi
LUCCHAO
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 5:26 pm #19

GUSH
Gush, you've brought a nice theme for discussion, I believe

Panerai seems so pushed to every year launch anything different, that it might explain some models. It became fashion indeed .

382 is IMO at least close to their heritage, fun watch indeed, but for me, only fun

Got a Helson Bronze and had to send it back to switch the case - eventually, I liked the previous brass case better than the Bronze case and buckle . After you got your wrist green you might understand why.

I simply think watches have to withstand the aggressiveness of our own sweat, and it's tougher than lot of environments . 339 owners might experienced it as well. Then, I've seen many Rolex vintages subs with lots of pits due to corrosion, and we are talking about high grade stainless steel -- so , I imagine how those fancy materials would look like in 20 years from now.

As I said, fun watches for fun time. And for sure boosted with hype of limited numbers, agressive marketing and passion .

I also agree with you about the market price -- should it be available in larger numbers, the scenario would be quite different -- and I barely imagine how it would be if was a regular production -- I really doubt it would get this attention if it was 2000 or 3000 produced annually.

You've pointed a sensitive discussion too -- if we would still love the watch should its market price was not over valuated -- and my humble guess is NO . Lots of examples of fantastic watches around that get so little attention but with very nice design and fantastic movements -- and that's simply human way of being a horde .

" If price is great then it should be good " . Childish behaviour that are well known and explored for so many . On the other hand, any owner that had spent MRSP or even higher on a watch would logically like it to valuate over time.

I respect and envy the old school that had started the Panerai passion -- quite unknown, chunky watch, with quite simply movements . But at that time we were talking about a much lower price level too . At that time, those united around that pieces were sharing the REAL passion, because it was not a question of status , showing off or whatever -- you tell me if I'm wrong.

Today is a totally different stuff.

best

snoballz
Paneristi
snoballz
Paneristi

August 17th, 2012, 5:30 pm #20

GUSH
I own and have owned many dive watches from all different manufacturers including Panerai. I appreciate the uniqueness as well as different nuances manufactures take on these conventional dive watches. The Bronzo happens to be a different case material than the typical SS dive watches that I own (with the exception of the Ti 202). If it wasn't the 382, I would have probably gotten a Helson bronze diver.

Case material is not the only unique characteristic that appeals to me. For example, I'm waiting on a micro-brand dive watch that will be assembled by the masterful watch maker, Thomas Prescher. Again, this is unique and sets it apart from other dive watches.

With all that said, my taste continues to evolve and although I do not own a Radiomir, my preference is starting to lean toward it along with other more subdued watches.

-luke