Ok, I need to be schooled on cases... 6500 vs. 6502

Ok, I need to be schooled on cases... 6500 vs. 6502

AurelioS
Paneristi
AurelioS
Paneristi

December 10th, 2011, 7:07 pm #1

I know there is a very slight difference, but please 'splain it to me in simple language

And details, too! did they come from different factories/case makers? Is there a glaring reason why a 6500 should be more valuable to a collector?

Peace, love and old school getting schooled in the school section ~
A.

That's how we roll...

panerai4life
Paneristi

December 10th, 2011, 8:17 pm #2

http://www.paneristi.com/archives/PreA_ ... nerai.html

"Time flies when you are ALIVE"
Greetings from the Land of Smiles...

Mignatta
Paneristi
Mignatta
Paneristi

December 10th, 2011, 8:47 pm #3

I know there is a very slight difference, but please 'splain it to me in simple language

And details, too! did they come from different factories/case makers? Is there a glaring reason why a 6500 should be more valuable to a collector?

A.

That's how we roll...

What I know is that if want to find the difference I will blindfold Guillermo :-P

AurelioS
Paneristi
AurelioS
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 2:52 am #4

http://www.paneristi.com/archives/PreA_ ... nerai.html

"Time flies when you are ALIVE"
Greetings from the Land of Smiles...
I'm looking for details, as to why a 6500 is more desirable

That's how we roll...

gfriedell
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 4:39 am #5

the same as (or closer to) the pre-V. That's what makes the Pre-A more desirable too. Close to t a Pre-V watch but with a non-Pre-V dial and caseback.

of course desirability is always in the eye of the beholder and subject to the current trend.

I remember some folks who preferred Luminova to Tritium, the heresy of it!!!

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 5:33 am #6

A.

That's how we roll...

but I never found a direct link. Here are the facts I've learned,

Pre Vendom Panerai cases and watches were made by the Swiss company Montres Valgine upto the 5218-207/A inclusive. Then, the cases were contracted to the Italian company Coro while the assembly was done at another Italian company, Croem. After the Vendome takeover, Coro was contracted to produce the first Vendome cases but soon enough Coro's contract was terminated (perhaps supply or quality problems) and production of cases at Coro was ceased. Those few hundred cases (400 perhaps) made by Coro are perhaps the OP6500 ones, but not sure there is a 100% correlation. As with many things Panerai, things don't fit neatly in the drawers,,,
If you're looking for similarities between OP6500's and pre-V cases, you will have to lay your hands on some very exotic pieces, such as the 5218-209 or 5218-210 in order to make that comparison.
Regarding collectibility, it's always due to the justified or unjustified fact that someone is willing to pay more for less,,,,,,

Hope it helps,

Cheers and best from the holyland,

~Asi~

<a href="http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h306/ ... d.jpg"></a>

VolkerWiegmann
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 5:52 am #7

What I know is that if want to find the difference I will blindfold Guillermo :-P

Cheers,
Volker

representin' the DNA of Panerai

ERSanchez
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 6:29 am #8

I'm looking for details, as to why a 6500 is more desirable

That's how we roll...

... why are they more desirable...because there are less of them.

IMO, the differences between the two are hardly noticable enough to desire one over the other. In fact, other than the screw hole position, the difference on **** model is almost impossible to see clearly (between 5 people, 2 of them wouldn't see it )

And the letters are cooler too.... 6500 vs 6502.

You see, 6500 just looks cooler.

Eddie "Sharkman" Sanchez

"It's all about the patina, Baby!"

P U R A V I D A !

The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more ~ fortune cookie

torromoto
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 10:00 am #9

Pre Vendom Panerai cases and watches were made by the Swiss company Montres Valgine upto the 5218-207/A inclusive. Then, the cases were contracted to the Italian company Coro while the assembly was done at another Italian company, Croem. After the Vendome takeover, Coro was contracted to produce the first Vendome cases but soon enough Coro's contract was terminated (perhaps supply or quality problems) and production of cases at Coro was ceased. Those few hundred cases (400 perhaps) made by Coro are perhaps the OP6500 ones, but not sure there is a 100% correlation. As with many things Panerai, things don't fit neatly in the drawers,,,
If you're looking for similarities between OP6500's and pre-V cases, you will have to lay your hands on some very exotic pieces, such as the 5218-209 or 5218-210 in order to make that comparison.
Regarding collectibility, it's always due to the justified or unjustified fact that someone is willing to pay more for less,,,,,,

Hope it helps,

~Asi~

indeed correct. The OP6500 cases were made by CORO. Due to some quality incidents Panerai (Cartier) decided to terminate their relationship. Like Asi suggested the 5218-209 and 5218-210 PreV with screw-in bars as we know them are in fact the same as the OP6500 cases used for the first PreA OP6500 series wich were indeed produced by CORO. I have been able to examine a 5218-210 from a great Italian collector and friend and (we) have come to the conclusion it is cased in a OP6500 (CORO) case. It's 100% the same WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
The differences between the OP6500 cases and OP6502 cases are minimal too some but huge if you know what to look for. I can tell either apart blindfolded. OP6500 cases have sharper edges, the lugs are a bit thicker and the crownguard is bigger also (more rounded on top as we see now on the current series and on the PreV). Basically lugs and the back of the case (not the screw in caseback) tells me all I need to know.

Cheers Guillermo

samrotandi
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 10:25 am #10

A.

That's how we roll...

And I happen to have a side by side comparison shot of both cases PreA9 OP6500 & 9A OP6502

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The most obvious difference can be seen from the lug shape..

And as this comparison is on the PVD case, the color is different, 6500 PVD appears lead pencil gray under low-light condition and appears bluish under intense-lighting.. While the 6502 PVD appears black under low-light condition and appears grayish under intense-lighting

But I really think that it is because the OP6500 is much rarer and the fact that it is basically the left-over PreV cases (5218-209/A & 5218-210/A) So that collectors feel that it is much closer to the roots

Cheers,

Sam

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 11:25 am #11

With your new 202/A?

It will be interesting to see 3 cases from 3 different makers.

I also wouldn't categorize the OP6500 as being made from pre-V leftover cases. These cases were actually ordered by Vendom/Cartier at Coro who was the casemaker (see my post above).

~Asi~

Last edited by Asimut on December 11th, 2011, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AurelioS
Paneristi
AurelioS
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 3:24 pm #12

indeed correct. The OP6500 cases were made by CORO. Due to some quality incidents Panerai (Cartier) decided to terminate their relationship. Like Asi suggested the 5218-209 and 5218-210 PreV with screw-in bars as we know them are in fact the same as the OP6500 cases used for the first PreA OP6500 series wich were indeed produced by CORO. I have been able to examine a 5218-210 from a great Italian collector and friend and (we) have come to the conclusion it is cased in a OP6500 (CORO) case. It's 100% the same WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
The differences between the OP6500 cases and OP6502 cases are minimal too some but huge if you know what to look for. I can tell either apart blindfolded. OP6500 cases have sharper edges, the lugs are a bit thicker and the crownguard is bigger also (more rounded on top as we see now on the current series and on the PreV). Basically lugs and the back of the case (not the screw in caseback) tells me all I need to know.

Cheers Guillermo
Then a 6500 would certainly be worth a slight premium

Peace, love and details ~
Aurelio

That's how we roll...

samrotandi
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 3:38 pm #13

With your new 202/A?

It will be interesting to see 3 cases from 3 different makers.

I also wouldn't categorize the OP6500 as being made from pre-V leftover cases. These cases were actually ordered by Vendom/Cartier at Coro who was the casemaker (see my post above).

~Asi~

I don't have the 9A with me anymore... It would be very nice to have the 3 of them together side by side for comparison...

Well I've always thought that the PreA OP6500 case was the same with the PreV 209/A & 210/A.. As what puzzled me was how could Cartier/Vendome managed to get the case ready for production as soon as they take over the company, which was at 1997, which was also the year the PreA Panerai were produced...

But I might be wrong, as what I mentioned above was just my assumption...

Look forward to hear your words on it Asi.. Always good to learn from you

Cheers,

Sam

samrotandi
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 3:40 pm #14

Cheers Guillermo
I actually read your old post about the difference of both cases...

Thanks for refreshing my memory about it

Best,

Sam

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 3:53 pm #15

I don't have the 9A with me anymore... It would be very nice to have the 3 of them together side by side for comparison...

Well I've always thought that the PreA OP6500 case was the same with the PreV 209/A & 210/A.. As what puzzled me was how could Cartier/Vendome managed to get the case ready for production as soon as they take over the company, which was at 1997, which was also the year the PreA Panerai were produced...

But I might be wrong, as what I mentioned above was just my assumption...

Look forward to hear your words on it Asi.. Always good to learn from you

Cheers,

Sam

just read again my post above and Guillermo's.

~Asi~

samrotandi
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 3:54 pm #16

Sam

sirjo
Paneristi
sirjo
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 4:27 pm #17

Hope it helps,

~Asi~

have been cloacked up in Military sectrets. Almost all the documentation has been shrouded under Navy's secrets. That's why getting "real" infos isn't that easy... One thing for sure, the difference between a Pre-V case and a Pre-A one, it's infinitesimal. I do have a 207A and a Pre-A 1/6502case and I couldn't tell them apart with an electronic microscope...

------------------------
Life is lost in dreaming, dreaming is lost in becoming.

sirjo
Paneristi
sirjo
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 4:29 pm #18

And I happen to have a side by side comparison shot of both cases PreA9 OP6500 & 9A OP6502

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The most obvious difference can be seen from the lug shape..

And as this comparison is on the PVD case, the color is different, 6500 PVD appears lead pencil gray under low-light condition and appears bluish under intense-lighting.. While the 6502 PVD appears black under low-light condition and appears grayish under intense-lighting

But I really think that it is because the OP6500 is much rarer and the fact that it is basically the left-over PreV cases (5218-209/A & 5218-210/A) So that collectors feel that it is much closer to the roots

Cheers,

Sam

------------------------

torromoto
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 4:40 pm #19

have been cloacked up in Military sectrets. Almost all the documentation has been shrouded under Navy's secrets. That's why getting "real" infos isn't that easy... One thing for sure, the difference between a Pre-V case and a Pre-A one, it's infinitesimal. I do have a 207A and a Pre-A 1/6502case and I couldn't tell them apart with an electronic microscope...

------------------------
The difference between a 207A PreV case and an OP6502 case are just huge.

Cheers Guillermo

covactanks
Paneristi

December 11th, 2011, 5:07 pm #20

A.

That's how we roll...

I think I'm right in saying that another difference between cases are.......

Pre A 4 and Pre A 9 ( PVD cases) have bare steel insertion pins in the CH protector on the 6500 cases as opposed to a PVD coated pin on the 6502 case ..... I think this is highlighted in Sams photo of the two different case above
I'm sure Mickey Rourke will slap me if I'm wrong on this though

'Last night what we talked about
It made so much sense
But now the haze has ascended
It don't make no sense anymore'

RIPBBQ