Newbie seeking guidance

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Newbie seeking guidance

crimemastergogo
Paneristi

February 13th, 2012, 1:18 pm #1

Hey Guys, I'm sure you all must have seen this thread like a zillion times but I'm a Panerai (for that matter watches) newbie and before I take the expensive plunge I really felt I need guidance. Looking to buy my first Panerai and ready to invest about 10k. I'm clear that I want the Luminor but unsure as to which one. Been trying to see the one that "sings to me" but they all do. Please advise the way to go about my selection. Thanks.

expat-oz
Paneristi
expat-oz
Paneristi

February 13th, 2012, 1:30 pm #2

like the 111, 112, 177, 176.

great watches, great intro to the brand - and you don't need to spend 10K to enjoy a watch. my .02.

bo

jacksonian71
Paneristi

February 13th, 2012, 1:39 pm #3

Hey Guys, I'm sure you all must have seen this thread like a zillion times but I'm a Panerai (for that matter watches) newbie and before I take the expensive plunge I really felt I need guidance. Looking to buy my first Panerai and ready to invest about 10k. I'm clear that I want the Luminor but unsure as to which one. Been trying to see the one that "sings to me" but they all do. Please advise the way to go about my selection. Thanks.
Bo gave you good advice. You don't need to spend $10k right now. If it's your first Panerai, you might do better to start with one of the classics that he mentioned and see what you like and don't like and then if you want to move up later you can. The other option would be to look at models like the 312, 351, 359 that come in the 44mm 1950 case.

If you're pretty set on Luminor, then you need to look at:
- 44mm vs. 47mm
- manual vs. automatic
- titanium vs. SS (brushed or polished)
- date vs. no date

crimemastergogo
Paneristi

February 13th, 2012, 1:43 pm #4

I'm pretty sure I will wear it daily so manual wind should be fine. I would ideally prefer titanium cause it's light but I believe it scratches easy hence brushed steel would be the way to go. My wrists are not too big so 44mm would be the better option. I had shortlisted 321, 351 and 359. Also like the 372 and 441 but quite expensive I believe.

jacksonian71
Paneristi

February 13th, 2012, 1:52 pm #5

I love titanium. Seems like people always talk about it scratching easily. In my opinion, I notice any scratches on titanium much less than polished steel. That 359 is all polished so it can quickly end up with hairline scratches all over it. Ti is a softer metal, but it is also super easy to brush right over those scratches and make it look like new again. I had a 176 as my first and a 305 also. A few seconds (very little effort) with a SandFlex block would brush right over a scuff or scratch and make it like new again. It doesn't take nearly as much effort as using a CapeCod cloth on polished SS.

The 372 is 47mm and is $10,400 USD. I'm not sure about price on the 441.

The 351 is beautiful with the brushed titanium, tobacco dial and gold hands. You should at least try on a regular luminor case like the 176 and compare to the 1950 style case on the 351 to see if you prefer one over the other. The regular luminor case is preferred by some because it doesn't sit up as tall on the wrist.

11years
Paneristi
11years
Paneristi

February 13th, 2012, 3:02 pm #6

000 "I"
002 "C"

panerai4life
Paneristi

February 13th, 2012, 4:04 pm #7

"Time flies when you are ALIVE"
Greetings from the Land of Smiles...

JohnDoe77
Paneristi
JohnDoe77
Paneristi

February 14th, 2012, 12:06 am #8

I'm pretty sure I will wear it daily so manual wind should be fine. I would ideally prefer titanium cause it's light but I believe it scratches easy hence brushed steel would be the way to go. My wrists are not too big so 44mm would be the better option. I had shortlisted 321, 351 and 359. Also like the 372 and 441 but quite expensive I believe.
Personally I like the cleaner dial compared to the 321 better...

JD