New Member Introduction

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

New Member Introduction

goplay912
Paneristi
goplay912
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 8:15 pm #1

Hello all. I would like to introduce myself to the community. My name is Keith and I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been reading P .com on and off for the last couple of year. I've finally decided to join because I'm ready to purchase my first Panerai, which will also be my first luxury watch. I'll be turning 40 on Sept. 12 and thought I'd treat myself to a nice gift. I would like to ask for a little help on picking the right model and where to make the purchase. I've narrowed it down the the 111 or 312.

I wear a suit to work every day, so I think the 312 with the factory croc strap would be more appropriate, but I'm afraid that it may wear too tall and may be a problem fitting under shirt cuffs. Also, I have a small wrist, 6.5". Can the 312 be worn casual (jeans & t-shirt) also with the right strap? I've tried on a friend's 005 and like how it felt on my wrist. The reason I might not want to get the 111 is that I might eventually have the urge move up to the 312, so why not get the 312 to begin with. I've found out that the 111 weighs 132 grams and the 312 weighs 160 grams. Is that a big difference? I'm 5'8" 160 lbs, athletic built. I would like to wear this watch to work every day, so I don't want the weight to keep me from not wanting to wear it every day. Both the 111 and 312 are 44mm, but does the 312 wear bigger? I haven't had the chance to try on the 312 yet.

Being that it will be a bday gift to myself, I will be buying it brand new, to avoid the headache with ending up with a fake and ruining my bday, plus I plan on keeping the watch for a very very long time. I've read some reviews on Yelp on some Bay Area ADs (Shreve & Co., Davidson and Licht and CH Premier) but none have very good reviews. I remember the Tourneau in SF used to carry Panerais, but they are no longer on the Panerai distribution list. Can any members recommend a good AD in the Bay Area. Finally, what kind of a discount, if any, should I ask for, 5%, 10%, no discount but with free extra straps?

Thank you everyone in advance and I'm glad to be here.

PSY76
Paneristi
PSY76
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 8:28 pm #2

Either one is a winner! I love the sandwich dial so you can't go wrong with either, but you might enjoy the automatic movement and date features of the 312. Straps are interchangeable and that's going to be your next obsession.

I don't know SF but check out the watches in the flesh if you'e got a Tourneau there and ask here if someone can recommend an out-of-state AD - you will probably save a lot in taxes if you have the watch shipped to you.

Whichever you decide, enjoy it and wear it in the best of health - and don't forget to show us lots of pictures!

</a><a href="http://photobucket.com" rel="nofollow">

goplay912
Paneristi
goplay912
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 8:29 pm #3

Hello all. I would like to introduce myself to the community. My name is Keith and I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been reading P .com on and off for the last couple of year. I've finally decided to join because I'm ready to purchase my first Panerai, which will also be my first luxury watch. I'll be turning 40 on Sept. 12 and thought I'd treat myself to a nice gift. I would like to ask for a little help on picking the right model and where to make the purchase. I've narrowed it down the the 111 or 312.

I wear a suit to work every day, so I think the 312 with the factory croc strap would be more appropriate, but I'm afraid that it may wear too tall and may be a problem fitting under shirt cuffs. Also, I have a small wrist, 6.5". Can the 312 be worn casual (jeans & t-shirt) also with the right strap? I've tried on a friend's 005 and like how it felt on my wrist. The reason I might not want to get the 111 is that I might eventually have the urge move up to the 312, so why not get the 312 to begin with. I've found out that the 111 weighs 132 grams and the 312 weighs 160 grams. Is that a big difference? I'm 5'8" 160 lbs, athletic built. I would like to wear this watch to work every day, so I don't want the weight to keep me from not wanting to wear it every day. Both the 111 and 312 are 44mm, but does the 312 wear bigger? I haven't had the chance to try on the 312 yet.

Being that it will be a bday gift to myself, I will be buying it brand new, to avoid the headache with ending up with a fake and ruining my bday, plus I plan on keeping the watch for a very very long time. I've read some reviews on Yelp on some Bay Area ADs (Shreve & Co., Davidson and Licht and CH Premier) but none have very good reviews. I remember the Tourneau in SF used to carry Panerais, but they are no longer on the Panerai distribution list. Can any members recommend a good AD in the Bay Area. Finally, what kind of a discount, if any, should I ask for, 5%, 10%, no discount but with free extra straps?

I've already searched and read many comparisons on the 111 and 312, so any additional comments would be greatly appreciated. I will be making the purchase within the next couple of weeks. Thanks!

PanTex
Paneristi
PanTex
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 8:44 pm #4

I am located in Dallas Texas where we have a AD as well as a Panerai Boutique. As Richard indicate you can save on sales tax if you bought out of state and have them shipped to you. I be glad to introduce you to the AD as well as the Boutique Managers. Email me if you feel tyou are comfortable with this approach.

Salud !
S.Y.

porsche-964
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 8:51 pm #5

Since you live in CA where Panerai is sold in both ADs and OP Boutiques, you will not save any money by purchasing out of state.  EU purchases are another story.

You won't regret your purchase.  Welcome on good luck!

Joseph56
Paneristi
Joseph56
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 8:52 pm #6

I've already searched and read many comparisons on the 111 and 312, so any additional comments would be greatly appreciated. I will be making the purchase within the next couple of weeks. Thanks!
I own both and while the 312 is my favorite to look at, I find if I wear it more than 3-4 days in a row it seems to get cumbersome. Both height and weight. It is a fine design in my opinion. The 111 is a great place to start. Super comfy to wear, classic case, sandwich dial and a million strap choices.

I would search the dealer market and collector market to find a close to perfect piece at significant savings. As they say here, buy the seller, not the watch,

Good luck, you can't go wrong.

Just living the dream waiting for the next PAM

FrankV1
Paneristi
FrankV1
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 9:13 pm #7

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important.
- Bertrand Russell

Night View DUOMO Firenze

jmridgway
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 9:17 pm #8

Welcome! Here is my advice:

Use the local ADs to try on what you want but if you are going to buy new and pay MSRP I'd buy from a boutique and have it shipped to you. Only buy from a local AD if they give you a nice discount. Just one opinion.

Don't be swayed by the straps they come delivered on. Either can be dressed up or down nicely. Either is at home on OEM gator, vintage/distressed/ammo leather, or OEM rubber.

For an all day, every day, watch, I suspect that the date and automatic would weigh in favor of the 312. If you don't mind no date and winding the watch, the 111 may be for you.

The 312 is a tall watch but I wouldn't let that dissuade you.

Unless you really need/want the date and/or auto, it's really going to come down to how you feel about how they look and feel on you. In this regard, they are actually quite different. The 1950-style case of the 312 is very different from the standard Luminor case on the 111. You need to try on both, then weigh the practical considerations above versus what appeals to you most.

For me it would be the 312 (I'm just a sucker for 1950 case and reg. T.M. crown guard) but you would not go wrong with the 111. It is one of my favorite models I've never owned.

Cheers,

Julius

Cr4ig
Paneristi
Cr4ig
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 9:46 pm #9

I would really try it on if you can. It's really more about how you feel.

They can be a problem under shirt cuffs, but again, you should try it. Depends on how your shirts fit.

I think a brand new first PAM is always a good choice! There were no boutiques when I purchased my first so I went with an AD, but the seconds came right out of the Beverly Hills Boutique (great place, great staff). There is something about buying direct from a boutique that I'll always like.

312 is a great choice!

-Craig F

Joseph56
Paneristi
Joseph56
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 10:09 pm #10

Worth a trip to SoCal to visit Chad and company at the BHB. They will treat you like a king.

Just living the dream waiting for the next PAM

goplay912
Paneristi
goplay912
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 10:27 pm #11

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and great advice.

@ Joe Co, I normally wouldn't mind buying pre-owned, especially if it's at a significant savings. But since it's to commemorate my 40th, I thought I'd splurge and get it brand new, and hold onto it for a long time.

@ Julius, great advice on buying from boutique if paying MSRP. I'll check out the ADs first for discounts. If no discount, then I'll head down to the Beverly Hills boutique. I have a couple of buddies who live in the LA area whom I can visit while I'm down there. But I'm not sure I can make it down there before 9/12.

vannjam
Paneristi
vannjam
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 11:16 pm #12

TokyoSkier
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 11:22 pm #13

I have its bigger brother - the 320 and I love it! A few things to keep in mind though:

1. It is a thick case and it will be a "cuff stop" - unless you have really big cuffs on your shirt. But this doesn't bother me as I wanna see my watch anyway!

2. As for dressing up/dressing down, you will find that PAMs are very versatile! Love that about them! Change a strap and you basically have a whole new look. From ammo to canvas to rubber - every strap change gives the watch a different vibe. Plus the dial is a chameleon. Not sure what color it is as it will change depending on light and strap. Sometimes black, then charcoal gray, then like chocolate licorice - it is quite amazing!

3. The automatic will make life very easy for you. I never worry about winding it and just wear it all the time.

4. The way to change the straps is so easy! Love that! Not sure why every watchmaker doesn't employ this simple and efficient means to change straps. I love my Omeagas - but changing the straps is such a pain!

Here are some pics to help you see what I mean about the straps:

Hope this helps and best of luck with everything, Keith. Oh and happy birthday! Great way to celebrate the big 4-0!

E

rioet
Paneristi
rioet
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 11:42 pm #14

JohnDoe77
Paneristi
JohnDoe77
Paneristi

August 30th, 2012, 11:20 am #15

I have its bigger brother - the 320 and I love it! A few things to keep in mind though:

1. It is a thick case and it will be a "cuff stop" - unless you have really big cuffs on your shirt. But this doesn't bother me as I wanna see my watch anyway!

2. As for dressing up/dressing down, you will find that PAMs are very versatile! Love that about them! Change a strap and you basically have a whole new look. From ammo to canvas to rubber - every strap change gives the watch a different vibe. Plus the dial is a chameleon. Not sure what color it is as it will change depending on light and strap. Sometimes black, then charcoal gray, then like chocolate licorice - it is quite amazing!

3. The automatic will make life very easy for you. I never worry about winding it and just wear it all the time.

4. The way to change the straps is so easy! Love that! Not sure why every watchmaker doesn't employ this simple and efficient means to change straps. I love my Omeagas - but changing the straps is such a pain!

Here are some pics to help you see what I mean about the straps:

Hope this helps and best of luck with everything, Keith. Oh and happy birthday! Great way to celebrate the big 4-0!

E
I totally agree with Eric, we both have a 320! It surely is a great watch!

I wear mine to work as well and i am working in a suite. It does fit under some of my shirts, with others i will just pull the shirt a little over the watch and that is it. I find my 320 to be very well excepted by clients; i occasionally get a remarkt about the watch but it is not screeming out to be an expensive watch! So i think it works really well in a dressed situation, especially with the OEM brown crock strap it came on. To where it more as a sporty watch in my downtime, i switch to one of my favorite straps the "Assolutamente"; it is really special and wears even better then the crock!

I find the 320 to be great on the wrist, not to heavy, high or big, it just reminds you that it is special... 312 will do the same i think! The lume is great, so is the casing and the saffier!

Let us know which one you choose!

JD

steveroadking
Paneristi

August 30th, 2012, 11:29 am #16

A great introduction. Also agree with Eric on the 312. Either way you can't go wrong. Welcome aboard.

"Life's an adventure, you might as well wear a Panerai"
Steve (steveroadking)

Richardson Hwy, Valdez, Alaska-- The Brooks Range via Dalton Hwy Alaska--Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse Arctic Ocean Alaska--Dawson Cr, Mile Marker '0' Alaska Canadian Hwy Alberta Canada--Yukon Territory, Al Can Highway--Crossing the Yukon River via The George Black Ferry from Dawson City--Poker Creek, population 2, furthest northern border crossing in Alaska. The Forty Mile River Region/Top Of The World Highway

LarsDenmark
Paneristi

August 30th, 2012, 6:27 pm #17

Had my 40th bday last week, and wifey allowed my to select my own gift. We bought a 212 at an AD in Barcelona. I know the financial crisis have left the spanish dealers a bit desperate, so it might be different in the states, but I negotiated a discount of 24 % - took a bit of time, but surrounded by beautiful timepieces, who cares?

There's watches, and there's time-telling devices. Wether you notice the difference is a question of passion!

Best Regards,
Lars