Need my Risti's bros input! PAM 01A vs PAM 02B-T

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Need my Risti's bros input! PAM 01A vs PAM 02B-T

kirby_iv
Paneristi
kirby_iv
Paneristi

April 10th, 2012, 2:07 am #1

I am at a crossroads and need some input & advice with a tough yet fun decision. I am looking to purchase either a PAM 01A or a PAM 02B-T and I am torn b/w the 2 models, both from the same trusted seller. I currently have a PAM 04 B-T and it is my favorite piece.

The 01A is very mint and complete with all boxes and papers. The 02B-T is mint and missing sticker on box and does not have historically correct straps. I like having the seconds hand and I also like have the simple look of the base dial and it looks like the base has a "blacker dial"??. I obviously like most love the patina of a t-dial and while having NEVER seen an A t-dial in person- am a bit worried that the fatter numbers on the A series looks like a watch specially made for people with poor eyesight....haha. A series are more desirable than B. I also know that the 2B-T is a transitional piece which is more rare and most collectors prefer the base dial.

So please any photos and opinions on which and why is much appreciated!!

Thank you all,
Kirby

ERSanchez
Paneristi

April 10th, 2012, 4:10 am #2

... and every T dial is different than the next...I would have to see them to give an honest answer.

For me, I love the base...so the 02 would be my choice. BUT, considering the difference between which one has this and which one is missing that, the dial itself would have to be the deciding factor......for me.

When in doubt, put on a blind fold!

Cheers and good luck!

Eddie "Sharkman" Sanchez

"It's all about the patina, Baby!"

P U R A V I D A !

The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more ~ fortune cookie

lceniza
Paneristi
lceniza
Paneristi

April 10th, 2012, 4:45 am #3

I am at a crossroads and need some input & advice with a tough yet fun decision. I am looking to purchase either a PAM 01A or a PAM 02B-T and I am torn b/w the 2 models, both from the same trusted seller. I currently have a PAM 04 B-T and it is my favorite piece.

The 01A is very mint and complete with all boxes and papers. The 02B-T is mint and missing sticker on box and does not have historically correct straps. I like having the seconds hand and I also like have the simple look of the base dial and it looks like the base has a "blacker dial"??. I obviously like most love the patina of a t-dial and while having NEVER seen an A t-dial in person- am a bit worried that the fatter numbers on the A series looks like a watch specially made for people with poor eyesight....haha. A series are more desirable than B. I also know that the 2B-T is a transitional piece which is more rare and most collectors prefer the base dial.

Thank you all,
Kirby

Cheers,
Lou - SoCal

patStc
Paneristi
patStc
Paneristi

April 10th, 2012, 10:39 am #4

Thank you all,
Kirby
The base should offer more diversity. Put them both on your wrist and you'll know which one you prefer

tchoo
Paneristi
tchoo
Paneristi

April 10th, 2012, 12:21 pm #5

Thank you all,
Kirby
As a wise man once said (Eddie?) ... "its all about the patina, baby!" ... and its all so true.

As my friends all know, I'm a huge T-dial fan and to me, its 99.999% about the dial. If its clean, outstanding and the watch is well maintained, I will forgive a lot of things ... missing bits and pieces, even whether the watch has been polished or not (if priced accordingly of course)

The next question would be, for the T dial, what is "outstanding" and after many years, I realised that its partly a matter of personal taste. I love flaming, yellow dials under natural light. I don't like dirty dials, but that's just me.

The A vs BT debate ... again, no straight answer. Usually I will adamently be for the A ... frankly I still have my doubts about the BT. But I have seen an outstanding 2 BT and the dial is so brilliant that I would probably have forgiven it as well! LOL

The markers on the 1A are clearly fatter than that on the 2A/ BT but again the answer is not straightforward. My 2A markers are actually a much more pleasing shade of deeper yellow, though being a bit thinner than my 1A.

And finally on the issue of Base vs side seconds .... and AGAIN (sorry!) it comes down to the quality of the T dial. I am generally a Base fan but am not dogmatic about it.

Sorry for such a long winded and confusing answer but this is a result of a few years of this T dial insanity Best of luck in your purchase, you won't regret it! I took quite a bit of pain in clearing out my then pieces to got the T dial route but have had not regrets since!

Cheers!

TC

kirby_iv
Paneristi
kirby_iv
Paneristi

April 10th, 2012, 7:28 pm #6

Thank you all,
Kirby
Thank you for the photos and comments. The consensues (sp?) is go with the better t-dial b/w the 2 & try them on. I couldn't agree more with that advice. The issue is that I am no where near the 2 PAM's to try on so I have to rely on the seller and photos. The seller has stated that the 1A has a better t-dial. I should also note that the 1A has a pre-A movement even though it is not a pre-A piece. But it is more dough. Those photos are sweet and than you all for the advice...if any of my additional info is helpful please add more comments!

ydsato
Paneristi
ydsato
Paneristi

April 11th, 2012, 12:36 am #7

Cheers,
Lou - SoCal

Beauty