Need help on a decision - Mare Nostrum 5218-301/A vs PAM716.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Need help on a decision - Mare Nostrum 5218-301/A vs PAM716.

ziad993
Paneristi
ziad993
Paneristi

August 10th, 2017, 6:21 pm #1

Its been a while since i posted much... however, panelist.com is a daily net destination.
I have a question need your opinion on.
Would you buy, if you had a chance, a Mare Nostrum Pre-vendome 5218-301/A or a new mare nostrum PAM716.
The watches are almost the same, same case and movement. the luminova is a bit different, but other than that, bezel and face and case are the same.
The Pre-V sells for about 40% more, assuming the pam 716 is a RSP. What do you think.

Appreciate your thoughts.

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

August 10th, 2017, 6:58 pm #2

I've notice the values of older models drop once Panerai introduces similar looking watches.

Years ago. If you wanted a PVD model. You had to buy an older one which drove the prices up. Panerai seeing this. Decides to produce PVD/DLC models again to get in on the action.

Of course people no longer have to buy the older models and prices fell

Same for a number of other older Panerai models.

Lowest price on a older Mare was $13,000. Others asking around $15,000

Once the new ones are more widely available. No real reason to buy the older models unless it's the tritium dial you feel add's the extra cost to the watch.

DON

mlcdmd
Paneristi
mlcdmd
Paneristi

August 10th, 2017, 7:01 pm #3

Its been a while since i posted much... however, panelist.com is a daily net destination.
Would you buy, if you had a chance, a Mare Nostrum Pre-vendome 5218-301/A or a new mare nostrum PAM716.
The watches are almost the same, same case and movement. the luminova is a bit different, but other than that, bezel and face and case are the same.
The Pre-V sells for about 40% more, assuming the pam 716 is a RSP. What do you think.

i feel like the allure of the old school is tough to beat but i hear and read so much about fraud/franken pieces that i personally wouldn't be able to authenticate.

if its from someone you can trust and can get a good history of the piece, go for it.

but then there's the reliability of the new and the lack of fear it's fake.

the romantic in me says original, the realist new.

either way can't miss they're stunners!!
Mike C, 312 NYC

mlcdmd
Paneristi
mlcdmd
Paneristi

August 10th, 2017, 7:26 pm #4

I've notice the values of older models drop once Panerai introduces similar looking watches.

Years ago. If you wanted a PVD model. You had to buy an older one which drove the prices up. Panerai seeing this. Decides to produce PVD/DLC models again to get in on the action.

Of course people no longer have to buy the older models and prices fell

Same for a number of other older Panerai models.

Lowest price on a older Mare was $13,000. Others asking around $15,000

Once the new ones are more widely available. No real reason to buy the older models unless it's the tritium dial you feel add's the extra cost to the watch.

DON
have you seen it even out in the end or do the older (originals) still command a little more after the new one has been out a while.

or have people taken a big hit and the older has become cheaper - or worth less - than the new?

wish there were charts and graphs for this stuff!!
Mike C, 312 NYC

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

August 10th, 2017, 7:52 pm #5

Customer tried selling his older Pam 40 which at one time was commanding $26,000, but his failed to sell off a major dealers site or meet reserve at auction.

Mint 9B models. Saw one sell for $20K. Now I haven't paid much attention

Bear in mind that a number who own the older ones bought when prices were low

My two models (9B and base logo) cost the same as the last retail price of a base screw back logo, so even with lower values. Early members who bought paid much lower prices as there wasn't the same attention as there is now.

Ones who got hurt are the ones who jumped in late and paid the higher prices of models Panerai release a copy of

DON

Bretmarcus7026
Paneristi

August 10th, 2017, 8:55 pm #6

have you seen it even out in the end or do the older (originals) still command a little more after the new one has been out a while.

or have people taken a big hit and the older has become cheaper - or worth less - than the new?

wish there were charts and graphs for this stuff!!
I own the original model, which I bought at least 15 years ago. A bit annoyed Panerai is re-issuing a virtually identical watch -- though I'm glad they're coming out with a Mare that's not 40K. I would go for the original -- depending upon the condition and the price. For me, part of collecting Panerai is the watch's history, especially with the old Mares because so few were made. Either way, it's a wonderful piece. You can't go wrong either way. Bret

ThunderDownUnder
Paneristi

August 10th, 2017, 9:06 pm #7

For me anyway I go for the 5218-301/A if priced well - just imho (nt)
Ohhhh So Much MORE than just a Watch 🤩 it’s the mates behind the Watch & the “Mateships” we create that simply Blows me “Away” ❤️

Cheers Beers & Hoo Roo Hammer 🔨 🇦🇺♿️👍🏻

stronzix
Paneristi
stronzix
Paneristi

August 10th, 2017, 9:08 pm #8

Why?

Don's got a good point. However, the question you have to ask yourself is: Do you want a "re-edition", or do you want a Pre-V? If the sentimental value of the old is not a deal breaker, buy the new. However, if you are looking for a true original, then, I would say, the the will never matter to you

Personally, I know where to get a real nice "as new" 5218-301/A that, looks like a new 716, the only difference? The old is the original, the new is just a remake to appease the masses.

My $0.2! Good luck, I am sure you will make the right choice.

Best,
--CF

stronzix
Paneristi
stronzix
Paneristi

August 10th, 2017, 9:09 pm #9

the original is the original

mlcdmd
Paneristi
mlcdmd
Paneristi

August 11th, 2017, 12:50 am #10

Love your old school passion
Mike C, 312 NYC

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

August 11th, 2017, 12:55 am #11

the 716 poses a great value and the set comes with a cool ship display. Panerai did a great job with it but it's still a reproduction essentially. I think the 716 being 1000 pieces will likely drop in value more so than the original since the original has already come down from its high as all the Panerai's have. However a newer watch will be easier to service and find cosmetic parts if need be. All things to consider so I wish you the best of luck it's really a head scratcher this one. You'll win either way IMO since the Mare is so cool.

On another note I would've really liked to see Panerai just shrink the Pam 300 with the stepped sandwich dial and flat bezel down to 42mm instead of copying the original.

Nebbiolo
Paneristi
Nebbiolo
Paneristi

August 11th, 2017, 1:16 am #12

Completely agree with KOD's call. The PAM 300 is the coolest Mare, in my opinion. Love that stepped dial and since the face is already busy, the clean bezel calms it down. Just never understood 52mm... That makes what could have been a dream watch for a lot of Risti's, an afterthought.

Just my $0.02.

JohnCoburn
Paneristi

August 11th, 2017, 1:24 am #13

Original always wins out although they did a great job with the reproduction...

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

August 11th, 2017, 1:42 am #14

Completely agree with KOD's call. The PAM 300 is the coolest Mare, in my opinion. Love that stepped dial and since the face is already busy, the clean bezel calms it down. Just never understood 52mm... That makes what could have been a dream watch for a lot of Risti's, an afterthought.

Just my $0.02.
but a shrunken version would've been nice. I heard a rumor from within Panerai a couple years ago about a 45mm version however that person no longer works for the company so who knows.

ziad993
Paneristi
ziad993
Paneristi

August 11th, 2017, 8:35 am #15

Thank you all for your opinions. I tend to agree with you all that stated stick to original.
Since I started collecting Panerai, in 1998, I never sold a piece so far. I tried but honestly, never gotten more than what i paid for, unless I want to get rid of the bronzos/bluzo i have.
I want to but the watch to wear it often and replace my DDS, which I would still wear from t2t.
i wonder if the emotional value of the "original" is just in my mind...as on my rest, i can't tell the different .
That would be similar to my 26k and 26b. no one can tell the difference, unless you flip the watches and look at the case number.

decisions, decisions, decision....

maxxxchong
Paneristi
maxxxchong
Paneristi

August 11th, 2017, 9:30 am #16

I just got mine a few days back. The reason is straightforward for me. Availability and cost. If i can i would surely prefer a mint original. But getting one is not easy and of course the price. So the 716 is obvious for me. Like you said, they are almost identical and it has a big *** cool box set.

I wouldn't be too happy if i have the original and they launch this. But I'm thankful they decide to "remake" this for the first time in twenty years so a motal like me can have a chance to have one of the most unique Panerai.

Will post pics once I figure it out...

maxxxchong
Paneristi
maxxxchong
Paneristi

August 11th, 2017, 9:39 am #17

https://i.imgur.com/M441YB4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jziJO6h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/j1gcnTv.jpg

ziad993
Paneristi
ziad993
Paneristi

August 11th, 2017, 10:35 am #18

I just got mine a few days back. The reason is straightforward for me. Availability and cost. If i can i would surely prefer a mint original. But getting one is not easy and of course the price. So the 716 is obvious for me. Like you said, they are almost identical and it has a big *** cool box set.

I wouldn't be too happy if i have the original and they launch this. But I'm thankful they decide to "remake" this for the first time in twenty years so a motal like me can have a chance to have one of the most unique Panerai.

Will post pics once I figure it out...
Great pix and agree with your comments. I think it wears very nice on the hand. Wear it in good health.

fullcourt1
Paneristi

August 11th, 2017, 11:56 am #19

dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

Micha-K-48
Paneristi
Micha-K-48
Paneristi

August 11th, 2017, 12:49 pm #20

nt