Need help deciding...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Need help deciding...

nauticajoe
Paneristi
nauticajoe
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 2:04 pm #1

Folks,

I just acquired a new 390 from the boutique a few weeks ago. I Love It! Now, I get a call again from them informing me that the 372 is in!!! What should I do? Can I justify having these two in my collection? How does it fit on a 7" wrist?

Greatly appreciate your thoughts.

totorol
Paneristi
totorol
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 2:20 pm #2

47mm is really not that scary!
I have not heard anybody regret on 372!
SE doesn't matter to me, the thing is which one you like!

Hope it helps!!

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 2:39 pm #3

Folks,

I just acquired a new 390 from the boutique a few weeks ago. I Love It! Now, I get a call again from them informing me that the 372 is in!!! What should I do? Can I justify having these two in my collection? How does it fit on a 7" wrist?

Can you justify NOT having these two in your collection?

They're not even vaguely similar watches IMO, so don't worry about redundancy.

And yes, 372 will ROCK, regardless of wrist size.

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

hkgweilo
Paneristi
hkgweilo
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 2:45 pm #4

Folks,

toulouse2
Paneristi
toulouse2
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 2:49 pm #5

Folks,

...if you paid msrp for the 390, which you did it sounds like, maybe you can swing both? If not and you later have regrets it seems like you can pick up a 372 later in the year, with several coming on the collectors market every other day. Seeing that 372s are still a 'new' release, if you bought used it should still be fairly new with all the boxes and papers. Just my 2 cents.

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:03 pm #6

Folks,

These watches are nothing alike really, they wear completely different, and for Panerai they look much different side by side. Brown/Black Dial, Sandwich/Painted Dial, 47mm/44mm, Solid Case back/Exhibition Case back, inhouse movement/ETA movement, I mean those are a lot of differences right there, and plus the 47mm is inspired by the 1950s 6152/1 and the 390 is inspired by the watches from the PreV era in the early 1990s. Both watches are must have's IMO if you can swing it you won't be sorry...

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:07 pm #7

47mm is really not that scary!
I have not heard anybody regret on 372!
SE doesn't matter to me, the thing is which one you like!

Hope it helps!!

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:07 pm #8

aikiman44
Paneristi
aikiman44
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:10 pm #9

Folks,

However, try it on first because it is definitely too large for some wrists, including mine (6.5").
Your wrist is larger than mine, so you might be good to go.

k_rerkpooritat
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:18 pm #10

but have to admit that the 390 is one of the best modern 44mm in steel Panerai has ever made.

You should have both in your collection, but if only one watch allowed....I would definitely say the 372.

Cheers!

Panerai....So Much More Than Just A Watch!!

steveroadking
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:23 pm #11

Folks,

I am also fortunate to enjoy both the 390 and the 372.
I also had the same fears that it would wear too big...even though i wear a 339 and 249 at times
They are wonderful compliment to each other.
It wears beautifully, has a unlimited range of straps that look terrific holding it on your wrist and the aesthetics of the watch are truly engaging!

"Life's an adventure, you might as well wear a Panerai"
Steve (steveroadking)

Richardson Hwy, Valdez, Alaska-- The Brooks Range via Dalton Hwy Alaska--Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse Arctic Ocean Alaska--Dawson Cr, Mile Marker '0' Alaska Canadian Hwy Alberta Canada--Yukon Territory, Al Can Highway--Crossing the Yukon River via The George Black Ferry from Dawson City--Poker Creek, population 2, furthest northern border crossing in Alaska. The Forty Mile River Region/Top Of The World Highway

cpoomchai
Paneristi
cpoomchai
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:27 pm #12

Strongly agree with Micah! (nt)

toulouse2
Paneristi
toulouse2
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 3:29 pm #13

I am also fortunate to enjoy both the 390 and the 372.
I also had the same fears that it would wear too big...even though i wear a 339 and 249 at times
They are wonderful compliment to each other.
It wears beautifully, has a unlimited range of straps that look terrific holding it on your wrist and the aesthetics of the watch are truly engaging!

"Life's an adventure, you might as well wear a Panerai"
Steve (steveroadking)

Richardson Hwy, Valdez, Alaska-- The Brooks Range via Dalton Hwy Alaska--Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse Arctic Ocean Alaska--Dawson Cr, Mile Marker '0' Alaska Canadian Hwy Alberta Canada--Yukon Territory, Al Can Highway--Crossing the Yukon River via The George Black Ferry from Dawson City--Poker Creek, population 2, furthest northern border crossing in Alaska. The Forty Mile River Region/Top Of The World Highway

My wrists are 6.5 (though for some reason my right wrist is bigger at almost 7 inches--I think my left has been squished from wearing my straps too tight over the years). Anyway -- I thought it was going to be much bigger than it was until I tried it on. The rest is history. It's much thinner than I thought too, and lighter. I never have problems banging it into doorways, like I did with my 312, which was sort of top heavy, though smaller.

aikiman44
Paneristi
aikiman44
Paneristi

May 1st, 2012, 7:23 pm #14

Folks,

I have no doubt that the large number for re-sale are due to the sellers coming to their senses regarding the size.
So try it on and go with someone whose opinion can be counted on.

nadelstern
Paneristi

May 2nd, 2012, 1:26 pm #15

Folks,

... at one time, I had every series A watch. The two Panerais I have kept are the 372 and 390.

The company got it right on these two outstanding watches.

craniotes
Paneristi
craniotes
Paneristi

May 2nd, 2012, 4:28 pm #16

Folks,

..."yes."

(pic courtesy of Jay K)

The 372 appears larger in relation to the 390 than it really is thanks to the angle of the shot, but if you can swing both, then I say go for it. Personally, my preference is for the 372, but not everyone has the wrist for it.

Regards,
Adam