Mods, if this is off base please delete

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Mods, if this is off base please delete

duecavalli710
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 5:30 am #1

It seems a Costco in NY is selling Panerai. What are your thoughts?

implantdoc
Paneristi
implantdoc
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 6:03 am #2

I think it's great! The more sources for Pam's the better...btw, do they offer discounts?

subtribe
Paneristi
subtribe
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 6:45 am #3

Orange County, California. Forgot which model though.

rapers
Paneristi
rapers
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 9:08 am #4

very interested to know how many they've sold. Not your usual AD, I agree.

jacksonian71
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 12:27 pm #5

This has come up many times. Costco is not an AD. Costco is so big that they just buy up whatever they can and sell it. Somehow Panerai get in there sometimes. They probably bought them from some inventory liquidation.. My guess is that you get a Costco warranty on it, not an OP warranty. And I'm not sure what a Costco warranty gets you with mechanical watches. Probably nothing.

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 12:49 pm #6

and they would never have more than 2. What's happens is when an AD goes out of business a liquidation company buys up all the left over stock for cheap then acts as a distributor. Costco isn't getting their pams straight from richemont, and they don't give warranties on those watches. It's not like you can walk in and if you don't see the model you're looking for you can just have them order it for you. Sure this is annoying but would be tough to police because as I said a Costco would never have more than 1-2 pams at a time and most stores have none. Richemont could take legal action if they wanted but let's say out of all the Costcos in th USA they have 15-20 pams for sale would that really be worth it? Maybe it would, and maybe eventually they will, but it seems like a small issue at the moment, it's not like they're competing with the local AD or boutique with 1 watch.

ManCityFan
Paneristi
ManCityFan
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 3:02 pm #7

Google "First Sale Doctrine" and you'll see why.

kftman
Paneristi
kftman
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 3:50 pm #8

See Beltronics v. Midwest Inventory Distribution, for example. I'm sure there are others.

First Sale Doctrine is a limitation to copyright (to protect creators of IP), rather than trademark, as I recall.

____
MK
______
Mark K

ManCityFan
Paneristi
ManCityFan
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 4:48 pm #9

Beltronics created a limitation but did not destroy the doctrine altogether. Careful disclosure is the key. Costco knows what it's doing and Richemont would be foolish to challenge on such shaky grounds.

AJCanada
Paneristi
AJCanada
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 5:02 pm #10

This has come up many times. Costco is not an AD. Costco is so big that they just buy up whatever they can and sell it. Somehow Panerai get in there sometimes. They probably bought them from some inventory liquidation.. My guess is that you get a Costco warranty on it, not an OP warranty. And I'm not sure what a Costco warranty gets you with mechanical watches. Probably nothing.

Better than any watch company will give you.

jacksonian71
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 5:26 pm #11

Have you had personal experience with a Panerai and Costco warranty? Who performed the service work? If they offered a replacement, what if they don't have that model anymore (since they're just buying close out inventory)? What if it's an in-house movement? No one else will be able to service it.

kftman
Paneristi
kftman
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 7:25 pm #12

Beltronics created a limitation but did not destroy the doctrine altogether. Careful disclosure is the key. Costco knows what it's doing and Richemont would be foolish to challenge on such shaky grounds.
____
MK
______
Mark K

ManCityFan
Paneristi
ManCityFan
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 8:28 pm #13

I take it you're not an atty. Even if what you said were true, it would still be pretty stupid to litigate against a goliath like Costco (1) over a few dozen (hundred?) genuine watches sold each year and (2) when your case hinges on a narrow exception to a longstanding principle of IP law. Counterfeiting is a FAR bigger problem for the watch industry than the gray market (in which Costco is a relatively small player.)

latoyii
Paneristi
latoyii
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 9:17 pm #14

I cannot imagine a resource tat can be much more "IM"personal than CostCo. I'd rather not. I think it prostitutes the brand. Just my opinion. Cheers!--lt

kftman
Paneristi
kftman
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 9:40 pm #15

I take it you're not an atty. Even if what you said were true, it would still be pretty stupid to litigate against a goliath like Costco (1) over a few dozen (hundred?) genuine watches sold each year and (2) when your case hinges on a narrow exception to a longstanding principle of IP law. Counterfeiting is a FAR bigger problem for the watch industry than the gray market (in which Costco is a relatively small player.)
That is a bit different than your first assertion, which was that Richemont "would have no legal recourse." I agree that Richemont may choose not to pursue Costco. And your assumption about me is probably less accurate than my assumption that you aren't an IP lawyer. Before you hang your hat on first sale, you might want to check out Costco v Omega, in which the supremes deadlocked (Kagan recusal) and let stand the Ninth Circuit holding that first sale doctrine only applies to copyrighted items that are made and distributed in the United States.

Don't know the facts about how and where Costco sources it's Panerais, but it was grey market importing Omegas. No more.

I no longer practice, but had a pretty decent career at Rogers & Wells (now Clifford Chance), then Sheppard Mullin. It is more fun to employ lawyers than be one. At least in my experience...

____
MK
______
Mark K

ManCityFan
Paneristi
ManCityFan
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 10:41 pm #16

I'm sorry for assuming. Your first post on this thread did not sound like an atty's: "First Sale Doctrine is a limitation to copyright (to protect creators of IP), rather than trademark, as I recall." As you've just learned, TM is a form of IP (and first sale does apply).

The omega case addressed a different issue, but it's not worth arguing about. I wouldn't want you to waste your whole weekend on Google. Peace!

AJCanada
Paneristi
AJCanada
Paneristi

February 12th, 2012, 1:01 pm #17

Have you had personal experience with a Panerai and Costco warranty? Who performed the service work? If they offered a replacement, what if they don't have that model anymore (since they're just buying close out inventory)? What if it's an in-house movement? No one else will be able to service it.

There's really no need for me to send my watch in for service.

However Costco stand behind everything they sell. I have zero doubts that they would somehow make it right. Grey dealers often have their own warranty policy, and most good ones stand behind the watches they sell. I really can't understand why people get so upset with watches being sold at Costco and somehow try to put them down as a company for it - similar reactions when Rolex fans find out you can buy a Rolex at Costco. Strange reaction IMO, but to each his own I guess.

Cheers, Al

jacksonian71
Paneristi

February 12th, 2012, 2:45 pm #18

I'm not one of those people who's upset that Costco has a Pam for sale. I simply questioned your reply that their warranty would be better than a watch company. I could easily see them honoring the warranty the way they do with some other things by saying, "Oh, here, we'll just give you a brand new one" because they can't send it to OP for service. But what if it's a model they don't carry anymore?

So 2 different issues: Costco snobbery vs actual details of warranty they offer.

AJCanada
Paneristi
AJCanada
Paneristi

February 13th, 2012, 1:04 pm #19

That makes no sense to me. Anyone can send a watch in for service if they are paying for it, which is what I suspect Costco would do.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree.

Cheers, Al

jacksonian71
Paneristi

February 13th, 2012, 1:26 pm #20

I'm pretty sure that Panerai would not service a watch that was not purchased at an authorized dealer. Costco is not an authorized dealer. Costco may want to offer their own warranty, which is fine, but that's exactly the issue that I'm bringing up. In my experience with home electronics with Costco, when they are selling something that they are not an authorized dealer for, they just say, "Oh, sure, give us that one back and we'll just give you a new one or if we don't have that we'll give you a refund."

Your statement that "anyone can send a watch in for service if they are paying for it" means what? That Costco would send the watch in to Panerai for service for you? And Costco would eat the cost of the repair since the watch wouldn't be serviced under the OP warranty because Costco isn't an AD? I actually don't think OP would even agree to work on a watch that was sent in by an unauthorized dealer.

I'm not trying to argue or disagree with you. I'm just curious as to what the outcome would actually be. I know that Costco has one of the most generous/liberal warranty/return policies anywhere, but a specialty item like this seems like it could present a problem when it came to service or warranty work by the manufacturer. I think Costco would simply offer you a full refund (which is awesome), but it wouldn't help you if you really loved that watch and wanted to keep it. I don't see Costco searching to find a watchmaker who could repair your watch. And if it was a newer in-house movement there'd be no way anyone would.