Looks like Panerai finally has some competition....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Looks like Panerai finally has some competition....

dcvelo
Paneristi
dcvelo
Paneristi

March 21st, 2012, 4:29 pm #1

On the size of a watch that is........

Check this out..

please - no links to other watch sites

I think the case is 51.4 mm, almost there with a Big Egi!!

Enjoy!!
Last edited by CharlesLC on March 21st, 2012, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PSY76
Paneristi
PSY76
Paneristi

March 21st, 2012, 5:09 pm #2

dcvelo
Paneristi
dcvelo
Paneristi

March 21st, 2012, 5:38 pm #3

Who knows if it will make to regular production!!
Interesting though!!

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

March 21st, 2012, 5:59 pm #4

Check this out..

Enjoy!!
if you've got something to say please reserve it for the case back. The crystal is super cool, I wonder if this watch will even be sold to the public. What is strange to me is that they completely re made the original sea dweller into the deep sea and only a few years later made an even deeper sea, this seems a bit redundant. Why don't they just re-issue the original sea dweller 4000 and then off this as an instrument? The current deep sea just never did it for me, mainly because of the tapered bracelet and again the stupid ring around the dial....

bawstin45
Paneristi
bawstin45
Paneristi

March 21st, 2012, 7:07 pm #5

to a model that they sent into the Mariannas Trench back in the 70s that is still today too large to sell to the general public. I think this version is an update, that they sent on James Camerons recent expedition in a nod to the past. Im sure that this was fun for their research and development teams to try out some new things that may be used in future models. Maybe if there is enough buzz about this model it will come out to the general public, I for one am not a huge fan of the crystal, but maybe seeing it in person would change my mind. IMHO-MIKE

bawstin45
Paneristi
bawstin45
Paneristi

March 21st, 2012, 7:19 pm #6

Check this out..

Enjoy!!

The DEEPSEA Challenge watch is 28.5mm thick compared to the case on the standard DEEPSEA which is 17.7mm thick. Also, the synthetic sapphire crystal on the standard DEEPSEA is 5.5mm thick, whereas on the DEEPSEA Challenge it is a whopping 14.3mm thick!!! This Superdome gives this watch a very retro look!!!

In historical terms, it is the heir of the 1960 experimental DEEP SEA SPECIAL, which dived to the bottom of the Mariana Trench with the bathyscaphe Trieste to a depth of 10,916 meters (35,814 feet).

Just some info i found online for anyone interested-MIKE

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

March 21st, 2012, 7:20 pm #7

to a model that they sent into the Mariannas Trench back in the 70s that is still today too large to sell to the general public. I think this version is an update, that they sent on James Camerons recent expedition in a nod to the past. Im sure that this was fun for their research and development teams to try out some new things that may be used in future models. Maybe if there is enough buzz about this model it will come out to the general public, I for one am not a huge fan of the crystal, but maybe seeing it in person would change my mind. IMHO-MIKE
I mean it has absolutely not function and if anything is distracting. I think its a cool idea, I mean I wouldn't buy one, I'd be more interested in an updated version of the SD 4000.

Demo-man
Paneristi
Demo-man
Paneristi

March 21st, 2012, 8:02 pm #8

The DEEPSEA Challenge watch is 28.5mm thick compared to the case on the standard DEEPSEA which is 17.7mm thick. Also, the synthetic sapphire crystal on the standard DEEPSEA is 5.5mm thick, whereas on the DEEPSEA Challenge it is a whopping 14.3mm thick!!! This Superdome gives this watch a very retro look!!!

In historical terms, it is the heir of the 1960 experimental DEEP SEA SPECIAL, which dived to the bottom of the Mariana Trench with the bathyscaphe Trieste to a depth of 10,916 meters (35,814 feet).

I want it.

Bad......

handster
Paneristi
handster
Paneristi

March 21st, 2012, 8:45 pm #9

Plus 1

bawstin45
Paneristi
bawstin45
Paneristi

March 21st, 2012, 9:18 pm #10

I mean it has absolutely not function and if anything is distracting. I think its a cool idea, I mean I wouldn't buy one, I'd be more interested in an updated version of the SD 4000.

It is distracting, I sold my DSSD to put towards my 194 and couldn't be happier, although the DSSD is a great watch-MIKE

sdumperth
Paneristi

March 21st, 2012, 10:30 pm #11

DAAAAAANNNNGGG

May the force be with you........................Always!

Being "Individual" is SO expensive!

"Always remember, you can't buy class" -Dad

Always remember, you can’t buy class. -Dad

abunai
Paneristi
abunai
Paneristi

March 21st, 2012, 11:01 pm #12

Check this out..

Enjoy!!
now that's a tuna can....

MotoGreg
Paneristi
MotoGreg
Paneristi

March 22nd, 2012, 12:55 am #13

28.5mm thick. That is over an inch thick!

I don't think I've ever dived farther than a whopping 12 feet, but I really want a PAM 193 on a metal bracelet, although I guess I could settle on this instead.

CharlesLC
Paneristi

March 22nd, 2012, 1:51 am #14

Check this out..

Enjoy!!
so i can't imagine what this would be like.

bobpensik
Paneristi
bobpensik
Paneristi

March 22nd, 2012, 1:54 am #15

Check this out..

Enjoy!!
They can strap the watch to the outside of the sub to see if it survives while wearing a Panerai on the inside :-D

bbargenquast
Paneristi

March 22nd, 2012, 2:45 am #16

Even my old Submariner bracelet is just a little bit too narrow for that case. "Rule of thirds" doesn't apply, that's for sure!

subtribe
Paneristi
subtribe
Paneristi

March 22nd, 2012, 4:15 am #17

2013, to see what Panerai has to offer as far as Subs. But after looking at this, this will do. Very nice.

subtribe
Paneristi
subtribe
Paneristi

March 22nd, 2012, 4:32 am #18

Here's hoping for Panerai to launch new Subs for SIHH 2013.

AndySIII
Paneristi
AndySIII
Paneristi

March 23rd, 2012, 2:03 am #19

Check this out..

Enjoy!!
non-tapering one!

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

AndySIII
Paneristi
AndySIII
Paneristi

March 23rd, 2012, 2:04 am #20

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley