Lighting setup for wristwatch photography

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Lighting setup for wristwatch photography

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

April 28th, 2009, 4:17 pm #1

Although most people ask about what camera gear I use, I do get e-mails from people wanting to find out the particulars of the lighting setup for photos that I post. I didn't want to post anything too technical at first, because I thought this wasn't the place for it. But considering that so many people ask for information I decided to do it after all. It does feel a bit funny to write a tutorial type of post because I'm just a photography enthusiast and by no means a professional. But I'm happy to share what I've found after quite a bit of experimenting.

This post is about off-camera flash photography, but the same principles apply when you use continuous light. Before I was introduced to off-camera flash I used normal desk lamps and that worked alright too. I did find it much harder to get the white balance right with desk lamps. With flash photography the white balance is always spot on.

The lighting setup to use will vary largely depending on the result that you're after for a particular photo. And it also depends on the type of wristwatch that you're going to photograph. Stainless steel watches are of course very reflective and besides reflecting objects in the room, such watches also reflect the light. That can cause very distracting so called bright spots or hot spots. A setup with low power flash and either diffused or bounced light will get you better results for such a watch. PVD or ceramic watches however require much more light or there will be hardly any detail visible in the dark cases of such watches.

Titanium watches are quite easy to photograph. No reflections in the case and not too dark. And so the lighting setup for this picture of the titanium PAM326 Luminor Chrono Daylight was actually really simple and a good starting point for a "how-to" post. I really like how this picture came out.

I made the diagram below to show how I took the above picture. The watch in the photo isn't mine so I definitely was very careful with it. I placed the watch on a piece of stone but I used a small piece of cloth underneath the case to prevent scratches. Because of the camera angle (approx. 20cm above the watch and pointing down) you don't see this in the photo.

As shown in the diagram I positioned one speedlight low and behind the watch on the left of the camera to light the watch from behind and to bring out the structure of the stone. That light is clearly visible in the photo.

I placed a second speedlight at about the same height of the watch and slightly behind it, on the right of the camera. This second speedlight was used to light the dial and crystal of the watch by bouncing the light of a sheet of white glossy cardboard in front of it. I cut a hole in that cardboard for the lens. The watch was positioned in such a manner that only the cardboard was reflecting in the crystal (and not the lens or anything else).

In this case there was no need to shoot the speedlights through a diffuser. Two more pieces of white cardboard were placed on the left and on the right of the watch but I probably could have done without those for this particular photo.

The camera (Nikon D700 + Nikkor 105mm VR) was set at manual and I used an SU-800 to remotely configure and trigger the speedlights. The speedlight behind the watch was fired with a power output setting at 2/3 and the second one at 1/2 power.

Hope this is useful for anyone interested. I'd like to hear your opinions as always.

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

jpulli
Paneristi
jpulli
Paneristi

April 28th, 2009, 4:25 pm #2

the SU-800 Martin refers to is a Nikon Wireless Speedlight controller.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon ... e?pid=4794

Advocat
Paneristi
Advocat
Paneristi

April 28th, 2009, 4:29 pm #3

Although most people ask about what camera gear I use, I do get e-mails from people wanting to find out the particulars of the lighting setup for photos that I post. I didn't want to post anything too technical at first, because I thought this wasn't the place for it. But considering that so many people ask for information I decided to do it after all. It does feel a bit funny to write a tutorial type of post because I'm just a photography enthusiast and by no means a professional. But I'm happy to share what I've found after quite a bit of experimenting.

This post is about off-camera flash photography, but the same principles apply when you use continuous light. Before I was introduced to off-camera flash I used normal desk lamps and that worked alright too. I did find it much harder to get the white balance right with desk lamps. With flash photography the white balance is always spot on.

The lighting setup to use will vary largely depending on the result that you're after for a particular photo. And it also depends on the type of wristwatch that you're going to photograph. Stainless steel watches are of course very reflective and besides reflecting objects in the room, such watches also reflect the light. That can cause very distracting so called bright spots or hot spots. A setup with low power flash and either diffused or bounced light will get you better results for such a watch. PVD or ceramic watches however require much more light or there will be hardly any detail visible in the dark cases of such watches.

Titanium watches are quite easy to photograph. No reflections in the case and not too dark. And so the lighting setup for this picture of the titanium PAM326 Luminor Chrono Daylight was actually really simple and a good starting point for a "how-to" post. I really like how this picture came out.

I made the diagram below to show how I took the above picture. The watch in the photo isn't mine so I definitely was very careful with it. I placed the watch on a piece of stone but I used a small piece of cloth underneath the case to prevent scratches. Because of the camera angle (approx. 20cm above the watch and pointing down) you don't see this in the photo.

As shown in the diagram I positioned one speedlight low and behind the watch on the left of the camera to light the watch from behind and to bring out the structure of the stone. That light is clearly visible in the photo.

I placed a second speedlight at about the same height of the watch and slightly behind it, on the right of the camera. This second speedlight was used to light the dial and crystal of the watch by bouncing the light of a sheet of white glossy cardboard in front of it. I cut a hole in that cardboard for the lens. The watch was positioned in such a manner that only the cardboard was reflecting in the crystal (and not the lens or anything else).

In this case there was no need to shoot the speedlights through a diffuser. Two more pieces of white cardboard were placed on the left and on the right of the watch but I probably could have done without those for this particular photo.

The camera (Nikon D700 + Nikkor 105mm VR) was set at manual and I used an SU-800 to remotely configure and trigger the speedlights. The speedlight behind the watch was fired with a power output setting at 2/3 and the second one at 1/2 power.

Hope this is useful for anyone interested. I'd like to hear your opinions as always.

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
to share your secrets so openly to the lay-masses. The fact that call yourself an "amateur" is really quite funny as your shots are among the best I've ever seen - including advertisements and catalogues.

Thank you,
charles

RichM-RI
Paneristi
RichM-RI
Paneristi

April 28th, 2009, 4:30 pm #4

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Good idea no??

Martin - Well done M8
RichM

<a href="http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w294 ... ey_bro.gif" rel="nofollow">
</a>

jpulli
Paneristi
jpulli
Paneristi

April 28th, 2009, 4:40 pm #5

RichM-RI
Paneristi
RichM-RI
Paneristi

April 28th, 2009, 4:53 pm #6

actiondan
Paneristi

April 28th, 2009, 4:56 pm #7

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
... very interesting... I will definetely try one day.

Thanks Martin for taking the time to write this amazing post.

A bientot,

Daniel

eltonbalch
Paneristi
eltonbalch
Paneristi

April 28th, 2009, 5:36 pm #8

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
I've been interested in photography for as long as I can remember. If I have learned anything at all, great (even just good) photography is much more about visualization and composition than technique. You have a real gift for that!!

Thanks for your tutorial; now it's off to buy more gear for my camera. It's bad enough for my wallet that you make the watches look so good. Now you've got me spending more on that other expensive hobby.....(

djo715
Paneristi
djo715
Paneristi

April 28th, 2009, 6:12 pm #9

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Your images are always nothing short of stunning.

Cheers,
-Darryl
SF Bay Area

RUpanerai
Paneristi

April 28th, 2009, 7:44 pm #10

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Thanks great info. I will use these techniques with my D300!

GBJIV
Paneristi
GBJIV
Paneristi

April 28th, 2009, 10:40 pm #11

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
What an incredible post. Martin - Thank You very much for posting this. I really appreciate it. I need to get another speedlight!

You are awesome - thanks for all you do for this forum.

Best,

jason_mx3
Paneristi
jason_mx3
Paneristi

April 29th, 2009, 12:28 am #12

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
BTW, I've been changing my computers' wallpapers everytime you post a pic.

Thanks!

-Jason

gbottomline
Paneristi

April 29th, 2009, 1:05 am #13

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
nt

Kind regards,

kiyong

k_rerkpooritat
Paneristi

April 29th, 2009, 2:10 am #14

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Thanks for sharing the setup.

Cheers

"PAM"...Love at the first sight
Thai Paneristi

BillS100
Paneristi
BillS100
Paneristi

April 29th, 2009, 4:15 am #15

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Martin,

What a huge gift for any watch photographer!!

Really just brilliant!!

Bill

samen
Paneristi
samen
Paneristi

April 29th, 2009, 4:18 am #16

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
for sharing your secrets. I'm saving this for reference later.

Thanks again maatje!

wilmsenm
Paneristi
wilmsenm
Paneristi

April 29th, 2009, 8:34 am #17

for my cousin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>

dogmanusp45
Paneristi

April 29th, 2009, 11:13 am #18

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
Your eye and imagination make the shots what they are...thanks for the info.

daegge1
Paneristi
daegge1
Paneristi

April 29th, 2009, 5:39 pm #19

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
I am fairly new to this forum and have admired your work. I was experimenting this last weekend with lighting and wondered how you set up. Great stuff! Thanks!!

daegge1
Paneristi
daegge1
Paneristi

April 29th, 2009, 5:43 pm #20

Cheers,
Martin

<table><tr><td>

</td></tr></table>
I am fairly new to this forum and have admired your work. My brother and I were experimenting this last weekend with lighting and wondered how you set up. Great stuff! Thanks!!