Lets counter the 47mm remorse. What brought you Panerai

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Lets counter the 47mm remorse. What brought you Panerai

no03330
Paneristi
no03330
Paneristi

June 30th, 2012, 11:40 pm #1

The recent threads about the 372 and 47mm remorse have got me thinking about what brought me to Panerai. For me it was the rich history. Without the original instruments in 47mm we would have nothing to talk about. Volkers book's would have little to discuss. Granted if Panerai had created 44mm instruments from the beginning then it wuld be a different story, but there was a reason for the large dial. My collection has and will always consist of Rolexes, but I am just another guy in the crowd without a story to share about the brand. Granted my 18k GMT IIc get noticed , but I got nothing for the comments about "nice watch". With Panerai I can talk all day. I will always be a fan of the inventor's of modern timepeices (Patek, Breguet and Rolex), however I get lost in the crowd of guys with nice timepeices.

Given a choice "on any Sunday" (thanks Steve McQueen). I chose option number 2 and 3

P.S this is not a dig at anyone who has decided a 47mm was/is a bad choice, and sincerly hope this post does not lead to or offend the open discussion this forum is about, but simply a opinion to reconsider a mistake one might second guess themself about some day down the road. Also notice my wrist are not most "manly".

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

July 1st, 2012, 1:10 am #2

You could make the argument that many of the original "war used" Panerai pieces were more than 44mm at least. But, and this is the crux I think, that's totally irrelevant to anyone but the most ardent Paneristi. I know many purchase watches to floss on this site but let's be real: at the end of the day, versatility and wearability are key.

As I've said before on this forum and others, big watches are getting a shade silly. If you have the wrist to not make a 47 or even 60mm look stupid, then it's perfect for you because it's proportional.

Most do not.

For me, this is why although I would stretch for a 45mm Rad, that's because there isn't much choice there without getting into far pricier models. 44mm is IMO the sweet spot for most, certainly me with 7.5" wrists. I agree that for many, even 44mm is too large but again there's little choice there if one chooses a Panerai. Add a plastic crystal to watches like the 372 and although more "authentic," it's also less practical and frankly kind of cheap on a watch at that price point. Non-Paneristi would absolutely laugh behind your back if they knew you dropped that kind of large with a plexi-faced watch.

I know I'll catch heat for this but you know, I'm not one of the many that are selling their 372s for smaller pieces or newer versions with sapphire crystals. Let's be intellectually honest.

zhuter18
Paneristi
zhuter18
Paneristi

July 1st, 2012, 2:00 am #3

The recent threads about the 372 and 47mm remorse have got me thinking about what brought me to Panerai. For me it was the rich history. Without the original instruments in 47mm we would have nothing to talk about. Volkers book's would have little to discuss. Granted if Panerai had created 44mm instruments from the beginning then it wuld be a different story, but there was a reason for the large dial. My collection has and will always consist of Rolexes, but I am just another guy in the crowd without a story to share about the brand. Granted my 18k GMT IIc get noticed , but I got nothing for the comments about "nice watch". With Panerai I can talk all day. I will always be a fan of the inventor's of modern timepeices (Patek, Breguet and Rolex), however I get lost in the crowd of guys with nice timepeices.

Given a choice "on any Sunday" (thanks Steve McQueen). I chose option number 2 and 3

P.S this is not a dig at anyone who has decided a 47mm was/is a bad choice, and sincerly hope this post does not lead to or offend the open discussion this forum is about, but simply a opinion to reconsider a mistake one might second guess themself about some day down the road. Also notice my wrist are not most "manly".

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

I would go for a 47mm all day everyday. its great time piece and closely relates to the original models. I feel the watch is not too big at all although my wrist is barely 6.5 inches.

Thanks

Peter

falterego
Paneristi
falterego
Paneristi

July 1st, 2012, 3:11 am #4

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Unless you have a wrist under 6", 47 is, truly, not too big. It's all a matter of getting your head around how a watch ought to sit on your wrist. Watches are not shoes or gloves, where the 'fit' is quite critical to serving functional purposes. Instead, they're more like clothes -- there's a place and time for something fitting, a time and place for something loose and comfy. Coming from the conservative school of Pateks and APs (not ROOs), I didn't think I could wear anything larger than 40 and a 44 Luminor really felt awkward at first. And if like me, you'd give the 47s some real honest chances, I'm sure, like me, you'd not only think they are very wearable, but may, like me, actually prefer 47 to 44. And oh, I only have a 7.25" wrist. I've seen people with 7" wrist proudly wear a PAM341! My wife, with a wrist like a bread stick, thinks my 382 fits her fine! Give it a chance.

padronanniversario
Paneristi

July 1st, 2012, 3:48 am #5

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

I am not exactly sure what my wrists measure but I own a 372, 282 and 329. I wouldn't wear the 372 (or the 282) daily. To me, at 45mm and 47mm they are "statement" pieces. The 329 at 44mm could be an everyday watch. The point really is that there is a time and place for each piece- where are you going with it? What piece is speaking to you on any give day? Etc. I think the $10k or so I dropped on the 372 is worth every penny for me personally. It brings me joy to wear it. The domed plexi is part of what makes it special. Cheaper than sapphire? Sure. But as unique? To each his own.

TokyoSkier
Paneristi

July 1st, 2012, 4:31 am #6

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

and I love them. But as I was looking for my next purchase, I took serious looks at Rolex (extremely popular here in Tokyo!), JLC, and kind of "stumbled" onto Panerai. Had seen them, but hadn't known anything about the history. The more I learned from lurking here at P.com and another forum, the more I loved what I saw. I then took the next step of trying on some Rolexes and felt nothing. I moved onto JLC - which also has an amazing history, but felt nothing from their MC series. The second I put a 329 on my wrist, I knew it was meant to be! Took 6 months, but I finally got my first PAM and have no regrets whatsoever! Since I will never sell any of my Omegas, I didn't want anything to "overlap" and the 320 is vastly different from my BA GMT. And yet, the 320 is versatile, functional, and great looking.

Added bonus? The Risti Community!! Have been to a few GTGs and can't wait to attend more in the States and around the world for that matter. Have made some great new friends through Panerai and for that I will always be grateful.

My two yen,

E

PS I will have to move up to something 47mm for sure. My 7.5 inch wrists and build will easily accommodate it. Though I am not always sure that is a good thing.

rwai
Paneristi
rwai
Paneristi

July 1st, 2012, 1:19 pm #7

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

I am a vintage Rolex fan for a long time. Never a fan of the model Rolex models except sub and SD. In 95, I bought this book.

in it I found this amazing watch.

After a long search, found the amazing history of the watch. But at the time, 44 was a very big watch and I have a small wrist. Felt like only Satallone can pull off a watch like this.

But it was always in my mind, hoping it would come out with something smaller to fit my small wrist. But after many years, finally realise a small PAM is just not a PAM and lost its character. So finally pull the plug and started my first Pam.

Now I am a happy PAM owner along with my few vintage pieces.

Is the 47mm PAM still too big for me? Yes it is and I don't wear it everyday. But I am happy enough to look at it every morning when I pick my watch to wear.

Ricky