JUST ANOTHER 'VINTAGE' STRAPMAKER......?

JUST ANOTHER 'VINTAGE' STRAPMAKER......?

russiarob
Paneristi
russiarob
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 1:32 am #1

Hi, After having read some recent contributions by fellow 'Strapmakers' I felt compelled to give you an insight into my working enviroment.
In the following photos you will see not only watch straps, but a few other items a Craftsman with 25yrs of experience can accomplish. as well as a few of the 'correct' tools for the job..!!

All of the stitching you see on this and the next case has been done by hand, all completely hand stitched using traditional waxed linen threads, even the handles which are approximately 3/4" thick.

I have been working with leather for more than 25yrs, starting in the Saddlery trade making Bridles,Saddles and Harness, then moving on to making Oak and Leather presentation Guncases and Cartridge magazines for companies like Holland&Holland, Purdey, Westly Richards etc. These companies make some of the best Guns/Shotguns in the world, and make no mistake The quality of the Cases I made for them, had to match the quality of the guns..In the mid eighties, a pair of shotguns would typically have cost around £55000 and the case about £1000...

This 'Quality of the leatherwork matching the quality of the gun' or 'Watch' in this instance, is something I feel very strongly about. Sadly an awful lot of what's currently available, In my opinion doesn't live up to that ideal.
I've always believed the quality of an Item is only as good as the worst part of it. It's very easy for a superb timepiece to be dragged down by a poor and coarsly made strap. For example take a look at the back of some straps on offer, there is no reason why the stitching there shouldn't be almost as neat as the front. No need for big ugly tie offs, or blobs of melted nylon thread either.
Email me and I'll send you some photographs of the backs of some of my straps, they might even be better than the fronts of some other makes you've seen..!

During the eighties, I also made Gunleather, heavy duty holsters,including shoulder and IWB, Sam Browne type belts, speed loader pouches etc for US Law enforcement officers and those involved in Pistol sports like Practical Pistol, PP1 and PP2.

I then started making Attache cases, briefcases etc and about that time came across the 'Russia Leather' or as you guys know it the Metta leather.
Since then I have been mostly using that for my casework. I have also done a lot of Interior Design work in leather, including covering an entire spiral staircase in handstitched leather, I've also worked in one of David Bowie's homes in London, and fitted leather wall panels and floor tiles. I also covered two desks for Roman Abromovich in the Metta leather.

What I've mentioned here is only a small part of my work and experience over the past 25yrs, and I have only written it to indicate my experience in the trade. I have spent my career working with, and making 'Quality' which I will continue to offer you guys with my current range of watchstraps and also the many new straps I have in mind for you. Including my 'Xtreme Vintage' which, if I get the time..!! will be shown to you over the next week or so.

Now 'I' don't profess to be, 'The Best Vintage Strapmaker in the World'... or even the best strapmaker in my local County, I do what I do, and others will have to do the Judging.

I just want to see you guys with some 'Quality' on your wrists, and it's not just available from me... HKTAN for example makes some excellent straps, and at hard to beat prices.

So If I've persuaded anyone reading this to pay a bit more attention to the real workmanship in the strap they are thinking of buying, then that's fine. I've succeeded in something...!!

Okay, now for some info on some my straps

I have two ranges at the moment, first is my 'Signature' range which includes the Metta straps, and then the 'Vintage' range.

The 'Signature' straps differ from the Vintage in that they have a different construction, have a soft leather lining and have finished edges. (see photo of the 'Signature' Metta straps)

The 'Vintage' straps have a slightly simpler makeup without the soft lining leather have unfinished edges and are approx 4.5mm thick.

For this post I will try to concentrate on The Vintage range, but have included the photo of the 'Signature' Metta straps for your reference.

I have also attached two photos of the V.O.B strap on my Pam 001, just to give you an idea of how it looks mounted, and it's thickness etc.

The 60yr old Oak Bark tanned leather, has been around since just after WW11, some of it is very clean other parts show heavy aging or 'weathering'

The prices are as follows: Quoted in US$ and includes Standard Airmail.

VINTAGE RANGE available in the following leathers

Natural Russet.........................................$110

Imported Italian.......................................$120

Best English Black Harness Lthr.......................$135

60yr Old Oak Bark......................................$165
60yr Old Oak Bark Naturally aged,
very small amount of this available...................$185

All prices include shipping by standard Airmail. For insured shipping add $8
I do accept Paypal or payment by bank transfer.

Paypal payments and requests for more information to:
robertross04@aol.com

I will post some more information with photos of different leathers in a few days time.

However please remember I have a large stock of various leathers including Ostrich leg, Goatskins, Imported Italian Cowhides, Various types of English Saddle and Bridle leathers, Pigskins, and some I havent even uncovered yet...!!

And I can assure you if you buy one of my straps, which are all handmade by me, that is me in the pic above by the way..!! then you will receive one of the best straps available anywhere. Handmade by a British craftsman with 1/4 century experience, using tools that date back to the 30's, which were handed down to me by a good friend and mentor 25yrs ago.

If you have managed to wade your way through this, then I thank you, and hope to speak to you soon

Best Regards

Robert

DrMarc
Paneristi
DrMarc
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 1:57 am #2

Do you have any photos of a strap in natural russet?

Thanks,
Marc

russiarob
Paneristi
russiarob
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 3:06 am #3

Hi Mark

Thank you for your comments and interest in my work.

I don't have any pics of a strap in natural yet, sometimes I don't have enough time to photograph straps before i ship them. It's a very time consuming occupation I'm afraid.

However as you can see I have posted a couple of pics that should give you an idea of what it's like.

let me know your thoughts.

Robert

crhite
Paneristi
crhite
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 4:15 am #4

Hi, After having read some recent contributions by fellow 'Strapmakers' I felt compelled to give you an insight into my working enviroment.
In the following photos you will see not only watch straps, but a few other items a Craftsman with 25yrs of experience can accomplish. as well as a few of the 'correct' tools for the job..!!

All of the stitching you see on this and the next case has been done by hand, all completely hand stitched using traditional waxed linen threads, even the handles which are approximately 3/4" thick.

I have been working with leather for more than 25yrs, starting in the Saddlery trade making Bridles,Saddles and Harness, then moving on to making Oak and Leather presentation Guncases and Cartridge magazines for companies like Holland&Holland, Purdey, Westly Richards etc. These companies make some of the best Guns/Shotguns in the world, and make no mistake The quality of the Cases I made for them, had to match the quality of the guns..In the mid eighties, a pair of shotguns would typically have cost around £55000 and the case about £1000...

This 'Quality of the leatherwork matching the quality of the gun' or 'Watch' in this instance, is something I feel very strongly about. Sadly an awful lot of what's currently available, In my opinion doesn't live up to that ideal.
I've always believed the quality of an Item is only as good as the worst part of it. It's very easy for a superb timepiece to be dragged down by a poor and coarsly made strap. For example take a look at the back of some straps on offer, there is no reason why the stitching there shouldn't be almost as neat as the front. No need for big ugly tie offs, or blobs of melted nylon thread either.
Email me and I'll send you some photographs of the backs of some of my straps, they might even be better than the fronts of some other makes you've seen..!

During the eighties, I also made Gunleather, heavy duty holsters,including shoulder and IWB, Sam Browne type belts, speed loader pouches etc for US Law enforcement officers and those involved in Pistol sports like Practical Pistol, PP1 and PP2.

I then started making Attache cases, briefcases etc and about that time came across the 'Russia Leather' or as you guys know it the Metta leather.
Since then I have been mostly using that for my casework. I have also done a lot of Interior Design work in leather, including covering an entire spiral staircase in handstitched leather, I've also worked in one of David Bowie's homes in London, and fitted leather wall panels and floor tiles. I also covered two desks for Roman Abromovich in the Metta leather.

What I've mentioned here is only a small part of my work and experience over the past 25yrs, and I have only written it to indicate my experience in the trade. I have spent my career working with, and making 'Quality' which I will continue to offer you guys with my current range of watchstraps and also the many new straps I have in mind for you. Including my 'Xtreme Vintage' which, if I get the time..!! will be shown to you over the next week or so.

Now 'I' don't profess to be, 'The Best Vintage Strapmaker in the World'... or even the best strapmaker in my local County, I do what I do, and others will have to do the Judging.

I just want to see you guys with some 'Quality' on your wrists, and it's not just available from me... HKTAN for example makes some excellent straps, and at hard to beat prices.

So If I've persuaded anyone reading this to pay a bit more attention to the real workmanship in the strap they are thinking of buying, then that's fine. I've succeeded in something...!!

I have two ranges at the moment, first is my 'Signature' range which includes the Metta straps, and then the 'Vintage' range.

The 'Signature' straps differ from the Vintage in that they have a different construction, have a soft leather lining and have finished edges. (see photo of the 'Signature' Metta straps)

The 'Vintage' straps have a slightly simpler makeup without the soft lining leather have unfinished edges and are approx 4.5mm thick.

For this post I will try to concentrate on The Vintage range, but have included the photo of the 'Signature' Metta straps for your reference.

I have also attached two photos of the V.O.B strap on my Pam 001, just to give you an idea of how it looks mounted, and it's thickness etc.

The 60yr old Oak Bark tanned leather, has been around since just after WW11, some of it is very clean other parts show heavy aging or 'weathering'

robertross04@aol.com

I will post some more information with photos of different leathers in a few days time.

However please remember I have a large stock of various leathers including Ostrich leg, Goatskins, Imported Italian Cowhides, Various types of English Saddle and Bridle leathers, Pigskins, and some I havent even uncovered yet...!!

And I can assure you if you buy one of my straps, which are all handmade by me, that is me in the pic above by the way..!! then you will receive one of the best straps available anywhere. Handmade by a British craftsman with 1/4 century experience, using tools that date back to the 30's, which were handed down to me by a good friend and mentor 25yrs ago.

If you have managed to wade your way through this, then I thank you, and hope to speak to you soon

Best Regards

Robert
to deal with. I ordered three straps from him metta, oak bark, and black ostrich and they are amongst the finest in my strap collection. Highly recommended!

ERSanchez
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 5:06 am #5

robertross04@aol.com

Best Regards

Robert
And I can say first hand his stuff is Top Quality! I just love my Metta straps!

Cheers Robert!

Eddie

Ericx2
Paneristi
Ericx2
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 8:26 am #6

robertross04@aol.com

Best Regards

Robert
...would like to identify colors/prices of leathers shown as key fobs in order to place an order for a watch strap. Please contact me. Eric

serzatbasar
Paneristi
serzatbasar
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 10:53 am #7

robertross04@aol.com

Best Regards

Robert
Hi Robert

This is serzat from Istanbul Turkey

I loved your straps and quality of the products.
I bougt from ebay metta strap (but just the base part not the strap) and looking for a strap for it
And also loved your other straps Could you send me a photo from your works pls
Like:
Natural Russet
Best English Black Harness Lthr
Metta

Best regards

Rick_AZ
Paneristi
Rick_AZ
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 11:40 am #8

robertross04@aol.com

Best Regards

Robert
and I don't even have a Panerai (yet). A long time lurker on this site and one of these days, will have a titanium Pam on my wrist with one of your straps. Thanks for sharing your work!

Best Regards,
Rick

serzatbasar
Paneristi
serzatbasar
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 1:38 pm #9

robertross04@aol.com

Best Regards

Robert
THÝS IS Serzat again

AND ALSO SPARTACUS MODEL STRAPS MADE BY MATTA VERY INTERESTING I WANT TO BUY SECOND ONE
PLS GIVE AN ÝNFO PLS

BEST REGARDS

russiarob
Paneristi
russiarob
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 1:53 pm #10

Hi Robert

This is serzat from Istanbul Turkey

I loved your straps and quality of the products.
I bougt from ebay metta strap (but just the base part not the strap) and looking for a strap for it
And also loved your other straps Could you send me a photo from your works pls
Like:
Natural Russet
Best English Black Harness Lthr
Metta

Best regards
I'd just like to thank you guy's for your kind words and support.
Especially Chris, Eddie, and Serzat. and indeed everyone else, Who had enough faith to make purchases from me, with no real feedback on which to base their decision to buy from me on. if that makes sense..!

I'd just like to say to everyone that my strapmaking is still in it's infancy, I have many more ideas for straps, hopefully a bit different from what youv'e seen before. and you can be assured my standards will never drop, in fact they increase day by day, as I'm never 100% happy, I always believe I can make it better next time..

Thank You

Robert

russiarob
Paneristi
russiarob
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 1:56 pm #11

THÝS IS Serzat again

AND ALSO SPARTACUS MODEL STRAPS MADE BY MATTA VERY INTERESTING I WANT TO BUY SECOND ONE
PLS GIVE AN ÝNFO PLS

BEST REGARDS
Hi Serzat

I'll just send you an email

Robert

rafteur
Paneristi
rafteur
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 2:56 pm #12

robertross04@aol.com

Best Regards

Robert
Hello Robert, these straps ar beautiful. I just sent you an email. Hope to read you soon. Best, rafteur

jak112460
Paneristi
jak112460
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 2:59 pm #13

Hi Serzat

I'll just send you an email

Robert
I sent you a couple of emails last night. Will you please respond?

russiarob
Paneristi
russiarob
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 3:58 pm #14

Hi Jeff

My apologies, I was sure I had sent you an email last night, but it was very early in the morning about 3.30am here, and i was starting to flag a bit..!

Anyway yes of course I can build the strap you want to your specifications. And stitch in your own buckle.

I will confirm the details by email now.

Robert

AnthonyTsai
Paneristi

October 11th, 2006, 4:03 pm #15

robertross04@aol.com

Best Regards

Robert

rafteur
Paneristi
rafteur
Paneristi

October 12th, 2006, 12:02 am #16

robertross04@aol.com

Best Regards

Robert
Hello Robert, did you have achance to have a look at my emailsent yesterday? thanks. rafteur

russiarob
Paneristi
russiarob
Paneristi

October 12th, 2006, 1:21 am #17

Hi Sorry if I've missed you, I havent done much since last night other than answer emails..!!
I don't think I've forgotten to answer any but it is possible with the amount I've had in the last 24hrs.
I cant tie up your Handle here with any emails i've had and I've checked my spam folder as well.
perhaps you could resend and I'll keep a look out for it

Robert

russiarob
Paneristi
russiarob
Paneristi

October 12th, 2006, 1:59 am #18

Hello Robert, did you have achance to have a look at my emailsent yesterday? thanks. rafteur
Just found your Email, bit like the proverbial 'needle in a haystack'

Am replying now.

Robert

tcsasser
Paneristi
tcsasser
Paneristi

October 12th, 2006, 4:07 am #19

robertross04@aol.com

Best Regards

Robert
Wow! Beautiful Straps...wondering how much a 26/26 wide in a 125/80 length in leathers #1 and #4 (on the key fobs) would cost? Also, do you have a slightly darker brown leather? Would that be the same price?

Thanks,
Thomas

ERSanchez
Paneristi

October 12th, 2006, 5:33 am #20

Hi Mark

Thank you for your comments and interest in my work.

I don't have any pics of a strap in natural yet, sometimes I don't have enough time to photograph straps before i ship them. It's a very time consuming occupation I'm afraid.

However as you can see I have posted a couple of pics that should give you an idea of what it's like.

let me know your thoughts.

Robert

....when you finally get to smell this leather! The aroma is unbelievable! It has become my favirote scent...and thats no joke.

I still have some Metta-leather samples from Robert for our Dallas GTG. I have on more than one occasion rubbed the samples on whatever shirt I was wearing, just to get a whif! I know...somethings wrong with me. But I just can't get over how the aroma can have such an impact. Don't get me wrong...I'm sensitive to odors. I don't wear cologne and my wife doesn't wear perfume. I hate artificial odors. Air freshener, plug-ins, perfume, or anything else that was made to smell a certain way. But leather is totally different. And this stuff is in a league of its own.

And as far as quality and craftsmanship...I would put it against the best out there. My RRoss straps are my favorite amongst the many straps I have. Not only is it beautiful, but the expression you get from someone that asks you about your Panerai...." 200 year old Russian reindeer leather? C'mon" - pricless.

Here is a shot of my "Black Russian"

Chers!

Eddie

My cologne collection..