Is there any logic to Panerai model numbers?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Is there any logic to Panerai model numbers?

Blake_P
Paneristi
Blake_P
Paneristi

August 5th, 2012, 10:00 pm #1

Please pardon me if this is a silly question, but as someone who is fairly new to the brand I've always wondered if there was any logic to how model numbers are assigned. If so, I can't tell. I'm always amazed by those of you who can rattle off various models with ease and find myself googling various models when they are discussed on here without images attached. Thanks in advance!

Mr_Fugazy
Paneristi

August 5th, 2012, 10:28 pm #2

At least as far as I can tell. Ten years ago, when I was first bitten by the Panerai bug, it was fairly easy to keep track of the various models by their number. But now days there are too many model numbers, with no apparent logical consistency, to keep up with. You'd think Special Editions would have some particular numbering scheme, but if there is, I can't figure it out. It would be helpful if rads had a certain numbering system, and another for subs, and another for destros, and so on . . . but it looks to me that Panerai uses the same system to pick model numbers as the California lottery uses to pick winning tickets.

Kirk

rioet
Paneristi
rioet
Paneristi

August 5th, 2012, 11:33 pm #3

Please pardon me if this is a silly question, but as someone who is fairly new to the brand I've always wondered if there was any logic to how model numbers are assigned. If so, I can't tell. I'm always amazed by those of you who can rattle off various models with ease and find myself googling various models when they are discussed on here without images attached. Thanks in advance!

alaizon
Paneristi
alaizon
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 2:46 am #4

There is some logic if you look carefully.

Eg. 127 and 217 are diametrically opposite designs with numbers that are reshuffled.

372 which carries on the DNA from 127 and 217 is close. The "3" comes from "2 + 1"

Winsford
Paneristi
Winsford
Paneristi

August 6th, 2012, 7:26 am #5

Dude I think you are reading to much into it, the 275 and 311 are similar watches and have no relation in model number same with 372 and 422 and 312 and 351 just to many models now a days to have a logical system.

WINSFORD