investment grade panerai options?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

investment grade panerai options?

DrewMElliott
New User

February 10th, 2012, 3:45 pm #1

Morning Everyone,
A friend of mine is looking for an investment grade panerai, one that will increase in value over the years and will be attractive to collectors. Any thoughts? perhaps a vintage? or a limited edition? Which one? Thanks. Have a good weekend. Drew

mike2zero
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 3:49 pm #2

mike2zero
Portland, Oregon

meric2
Paneristi
meric2
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 3:53 pm #3

Morning Everyone,
A friend of mine is looking for an investment grade panerai, one that will increase in value over the years and will be attractive to collectors. Any thoughts? perhaps a vintage? or a limited edition? Which one? Thanks. Have a good weekend. Drew
Buy a Panerai to wear and enjoy.

Investments? Leave those to the market.

Cheers...

Michael

micah249
Paneristi
micah249
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 3:57 pm #4

Morning Everyone,
Otherwise he's liable to do very poorly indeed.

"Investment grade" and "Panerai" should never be in the same sentence IMO... unless it's something like "My investment grade properties returned great rental income this year and allowed me to buy a Panerai I'm really enjoying..."

mfer
Paneristi
mfer
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 4:08 pm #5

Morning Everyone,
I mean that is like asking, which stock is going to go up in value? I'd love to know that!

micah249
Paneristi
micah249
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 4:09 pm #6

"Investment grade" and "Panerai" should never be in the same sentence IMO... unless it's something like "My investment grade properties returned great rental income this year and allowed me to buy a Panerai I'm really enjoying..."

Or he could just go back in time and buy a 21, a 203 and a 201/a

Joking aside, the truth is that watches make even worse investments than most commodities and really shouldn't be purchased as such. The best investment your friend can make is exactly what Meric said... invest in happiness. Tell him to buy a Panerai he LOVES and will wear and enjoy. The return on those dollars is far better anyways than striking it lucky by getting the one model that will triple in value in 20 years.. which BTW is still only a pretty modest return on investment overall.

Besides which, if he has to ask which watches are going to become more valuable he's already out of the running for getting any of those models anyway

DrewMElliott
New User

February 10th, 2012, 4:09 pm #7

snoballz
Paneristi
snoballz
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 4:16 pm #8

Morning Everyone,
-luke

micah249
Paneristi
micah249
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 4:23 pm #9

Ya, he's actually extremely successful in investments but thanks for your suggestion. Surprised about PAMs as Rolex Daytonas, 16800s, 1680 red dials have been incredible investments for me!
that most of the people around here are enthusiasts, not "investors". We're all aware and happy that some or even many of the watches we buy retain their value, and if we're lucky even go up in value sometimes. Who wouldn't be happy about that?

But don't think that's the reason most of us are buying Panerais. It's certainly not why I buy them.

So while it's understandable that people consider these watches to be "investments" this forum isn't really a great place to mine data for financial maneuvers. If you want to learn about the brand, join in the passion, meet great people etc. this is the place to be for sure!

But if you're looking for something to add to you "portfolio" you're probably going to catch a lot of flak. For many of us, seeing our beloved PAM's discussed as mere commodities to help someone pad their wallet is discouraging and a little saddening frankly. At least it is for me. I'd rather see a watch that's a great "investment" go to someone who simply loves the watch and will wear it than to someone who's going to put it in a safe and never look at it again until it's time to flip it for a tidy profit

RUpanerai
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 4:34 pm #10

Morning Everyone,
Which I believe what you are slightly referring too...

With watches, no one has a crystal ball to tell you what will be hot 10 to 20 years from now, hell who knows we might have cell phones strapped to our wrists by then and scrap these tuna cans.

Some examples of once great "investments" that fell flat on their face, Rolex Milgauss GV is one that really comes to mind and the 292J. Both commanded HUGE premiums, upwards of 3x list however now they are only at or close to list. Point being, you can never tell what the market will do and what peoples tastes are in this funny luxury market.

Yes its true, that if you bought a Panerai in the 90s, chances are your watch went up 15 to 30 times what you paid for it, same goes with Rolex's from the 40s-60s. NO ONE could have predicted this.

If you want to look for more collectable pieces that might be more rare than others, that is up to you and your preference and what you enjoy.

Personally for me, I believe that the Vintage pieces are a strange and interesting group as so many of them have been assembled from old parts and its almost impossible to tell what is a fake and replica anymore (Id personally stay away unless you bought it from the original owner OR from ULTRA reliable sources which are becoming increasing scarce now a days... wouldnt you want to assemble a watch from pieces and sell it for 150k?) Pre-V, Pre-A and A series is where I think the best pieces are in the Panerai time frame to own and collect. Opinion of course. Not only is the lineage more traceable but its where Panerai truly became the Panerai we know today, a Luxury watch company founded on military roots.

patrick-belgium
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 4:35 pm #11

Morning Everyone,
in the Sales Corner and other sites where watches are for sale and compare them with the actual prices or last retail prices and you'll find out very quickly which pieces are worth to call 'investment',... the problem is that most people are always 'to late' or expect others will tell them their secret on which ref.nr to gamble ... so forget about it or learn it the hard way ... win some loose some. If it was that easy we would all be millionairs won't we ???

P@trick

clifW
Paneristi
clifW
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 4:42 pm #12

Morning Everyone,

I dare say the passion wouldn't be as enthusiastic if the product sunk like a stone thrown in the river. The base of the enthusiasm is the general stunning appeal of the product with an intriguing historical background. In short, the product is spectacular, we enjoy the brand as no other, and collectively many friendships and a sense of community has spawned from it. Try that with any other brand!

Panerai is something many of us cannot live without, I know my life would have a lot less fulfilling these past 11 years. As for their investment value, the fact that they've maintained their value or gone up is a secondary bonus, but not sole reason we cosset them. Thats way down the list for many of us.

I'm here for the party baby!

micah249
Paneristi
micah249
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 5:00 pm #13

panerai4life
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 5:09 pm #14

Morning Everyone,
just my 2 cents

"Time flies when you are ALIVE"
Greetings from the Land of Smiles...

R1200GSA
Paneristi
R1200GSA
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 5:14 pm #15

I dare say the passion wouldn't be as enthusiastic if the product sunk like a stone thrown in the river. The base of the enthusiasm is the general stunning appeal of the product with an intriguing historical background. In short, the product is spectacular, we enjoy the brand as no other, and collectively many friendships and a sense of community has spawned from it. Try that with any other brand!

Panerai is something many of us cannot live without, I know my life would have a lot less fulfilling these past 11 years. As for their investment value, the fact that they've maintained their value or gone up is a secondary bonus, but not sole reason we cosset them. Thats way down the list for many of us.

I'm here for the party baby!

cheers,
Mike T
Camano Island,WA

stockae92
Paneristi
stockae92
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 5:51 pm #16

Morning Everyone,
but I guess you won't be interested in that because you are looking to invest your money in Panerai ...

Good luck with your invest. In the mean while, I buy what I wear and enjoy

murphtyper
Paneristi

February 10th, 2012, 6:32 pm #17

Morning Everyone,
then I say go for the watch that makes him smile. In this case money can buy happiness.

jacmerlin
Paneristi

February 11th, 2012, 7:23 am #18

Morning Everyone,
Hello,

True, Very true that there have been watches that have gone up from $1800.00 to 95K
Something like 45 times original cost or more. But by in large-- It's hard to pick the exact winners.
The winners are there ....... But which ones??? Hard to tell....

At the best they seem to hold their value and perhaps increase a slight bit each year.
Their have been models that have severely decreased in value a year or so after introduction too.
But like clif mentioned....... In a different way....... It wouldn't have such "gusto" if they dropped like
a rock!!