How often are we supposed to send our pieces in for service?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

How often are we supposed to send our pieces in for service?

FastSRT8
Paneristi
FastSRT8
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 4:28 am #1

I have a 312 I got new Oct/Nov 2011. I was wondering how often are we supposed to send it in for service?

I am anal about my watches and want to keep them 'perfect' even the polish of it.

This being my first Panerai, I am not sure how often we are supposed to send them in.

I know when I send my Rolex in, they come back perfect like new!

rapers
Paneristi
rapers
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 7:49 am #2

but I stick with the dictum "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
I'd only think about a service if my watch started to misbehave.

hkgweilo
Paneristi
hkgweilo
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 8:34 am #3

rybst
Paneristi
rybst
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 9:30 am #4

I have a 312 I got new Oct/Nov 2011. I was wondering how often are we supposed to send it in for service?

I am anal about my watches and want to keep them 'perfect' even the polish of it.

This being my first Panerai, I am not sure how often we are supposed to send them in.

i agree with the two guys above. don't technically need to send it in unless it is really in need of a service-time keeping out etc.

em227
Paneristi
em227
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 9:42 am #5

I had my friendly AD advise me not to send in my Cartier recently that was at its five year point, what I thought was an appropriate time for a service. His advice was, unless its losing (or gaining) time, don't send it in. No need to he says.

Saved me around $600 I'm told.

Emmanuel

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 10:27 am #6

water resistance. If you plan on swimming/diving I would service at least once every few years.

Cheers and best from the holyland,

~Asi~

<a href="http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h306/ ... d.jpg"></a>

TMCL
Paneristi
TMCL
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 10:42 am #7

same here (nt)

keeperoftime
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 12:24 pm #8

Excellent advice!

mrpanerai
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 12:48 pm #9

Normally you want to service todays modern marvels about every 5 to 7 years.

It depends on how hard you wear it. Is it your every day watch or do you wear it in rotation?

A watch will generally tell you when she ready too. My Tag is every 5 years like clock work.

The Capeland S went about seven and the Maurice Lacroix lasted about seven.

Now those we all daily wears at one time. Also remember lubricants break down after time.

Its always better to be safe than sorry.

FastSRT8
Paneristi
FastSRT8
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 2:58 pm #10

THANKS... can we send it in JUST for cosmetic polishing???!!! nt

gfriedell
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 3:21 pm #11

Normally you want to service todays modern marvels about every 5 to 7 years.

It depends on how hard you wear it. Is it your every day watch or do you wear it in rotation?

A watch will generally tell you when she ready too. My Tag is every 5 years like clock work.

The Capeland S went about seven and the Maurice Lacroix lasted about seven.

Now those we all daily wears at one time. Also remember lubricants break down after time.

Its always better to be safe than sorry.

Manual wind watches CAN (not always) require somewhat more frequent servicing because the act of winding the watch physically can cause the crown/stem to wear. A watch you only wear once a week could go 10 years without needing a service if it's not running when it's off the wrist whereas a watch you wear hard daily could need service in a couple of years. I will take a slight difference with Russell in that most modern watch lubricants are very stable.

"But sometimes when you bring the thunder, you get lost in the storm." K.P.

terrywoods
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 6:25 pm #12

You have bought the wrong brand if your looking for rolex style servicing. Only Rolex do the whole as good as new service, my panerai came back with more scratches on it after a service.

If like your watches to look like new stick them in a box and look at them, panerai is brand the be worn once it becomes a daily beater the less you worry about how many scratches the case has.

FastSRT8
Paneristi
FastSRT8
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 8:05 pm #13

WOW.... that doesn't say much about the brand if they send you back your watch worse than when it got there.......

Blake_P
Paneristi
Blake_P
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 11:29 pm #14

Manual wind watches CAN (not always) require somewhat more frequent servicing because the act of winding the watch physically can cause the crown/stem to wear. A watch you only wear once a week could go 10 years without needing a service if it's not running when it's off the wrist whereas a watch you wear hard daily could need service in a couple of years. I will take a slight difference with Russell in that most modern watch lubricants are very stable.

Would you say it is better to only wind your manual watches before you wear them in order to not require premature servicing? I'm new to PAM and was winding my 000 nightly, even though I only wear it a few times per week. If it's true that more frequent winding will result in servicing more often, I would prefer to only wind it before I wear it.

Blake_P
Paneristi
Blake_P
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 11:33 pm #15

WOW.... that doesn't say much about the brand if they send you back your watch worse than when it got there.......
When you are paying that kind of money for service, the watch should return in as good or preferably better condition. Maybe not an apples to apples comparison, but I know I would throw a fit if my car was returned to me in worse condition after taking it in for service. In fact, the good ones will usually wash it for you!

gfriedell
Paneristi

July 9th, 2012, 11:40 pm #16

Would you say it is better to only wind your manual watches before you wear them in order to not require premature servicing? I'm new to PAM and was winding my 000 nightly, even though I only wear it a few times per week. If it's true that more frequent winding will result in servicing more often, I would prefer to only wind it before I wear it.
It's my opinion that they only need to be wound when you're going to wear it. Think of your car, do you let it sit running when you're not driving it?

Not a perfect analogy, but you get my drift

FastSRT8
Paneristi
FastSRT8
Paneristi

July 10th, 2012, 12:30 am #17

When you are paying that kind of money for service, the watch should return in as good or preferably better condition. Maybe not an apples to apples comparison, but I know I would throw a fit if my car was returned to me in worse condition after taking it in for service. In fact, the good ones will usually wash it for you!
I feel if I am buying into a premium brand who touts to have heritage, quality, etc... then they must behave like one.

IF the norm is to get your stuff back bashed and marked all to heck as they service is then I would have to say they brand should not be touted as premium. Heck even Tag Heuer returns your watches back to you in better shape.

IMO, management needs to drill this philosophy into the minds of staff. Take pride in what you do and the rest will work itself out.

My 2 cents

FastSRT8
Paneristi
FastSRT8
Paneristi

July 10th, 2012, 12:30 am #18

I feel if I am buying into a premium brand who touts to have heritage, quality, etc... then they must behave like one.

IF the norm is to get your stuff back bashed and marked all to heck as they service is then I would have to say they brand should not be touted as premium. Heck even Tag Heuer returns your watches back to you in better shape.

IMO, management needs to drill this philosophy into the minds of staff. Take pride in what you do and the rest will work itself out.

My 2 cents

endomaster
New User
endomaster
New User

October 23rd, 2012, 12:41 am #19

What should we expect the cost of service to be? I plan to drop off my watch at the NYC Madison Ave boutique.

endomaster
New User
endomaster
New User

October 23rd, 2012, 12:43 am #20

What should we expect the cost of service to be? I plan to drop off my watch at the NYC Madison Ave boutique.