Help with this PreA4

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Help with this PreA4

LuminorLovin
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 6:57 am #1

I've come across this puzzling PreA4.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

As to my understanding from a post by Maurits Bollen,and i quote "On most pre-A Luminors (or Bases) and Luminor Marinas you will find pre-Vendome style or T-SWISS-T dials (note the hyphens)".

There is None on this PreA4.

Could this be a franken watch? or a replica?

No back story nor confirmation has been found regarding this PreA4, i just know that this is authentic, as was told by the owner.

Can anybody share their thought?

Cheers.

Viper-FFM
Paneristi
Viper-FFM
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 10:32 am #2

Dial is from a 5218.

As the serial doesnt include the A, it is a PreA-A version. It COULD be that left over dials from the 5218 where used within the new model. Same applied to B Series T-Dials. However there's no way to proof it 100%.

Pam009T
Paneristi
Pam009T
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 11:48 am #3

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

As to my understanding from a post by Maurits Bollen,and i quote "On most pre-A Luminors (or Bases) and Luminor Marinas you will find pre-Vendome style or T-SWISS-T dials (note the hyphens)".

No back story nor confirmation has been found regarding this PreA4, i just know that this is authentic, as was told by the owner.

Cheers.
It isn't a Pre-V dial, the typo is like Vendôme models (pre-V have a serif typo and a specific R), but none T-SWISS-T strange, fake dial?.
Is-it a ETA 6497-2 Pre-A movement with large "côtes de Genèves" and "Officine Panerai Firenze" Engraving?
Let us know.

covactanks
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 6:08 pm #4

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers.
Firstly ......dial /caseback look okay to my eye ....with the obvious exception of the lack of the T HYPHEN T under the six ....but ......I have seen a few Pre-A's where the the white painted writing of the T HYPHEN T has literally started to de-bond and fall off and you could see bits of white paint floating around in the dial .......remember this was relatively early days for OP and mistakes happened .

Rather than let OP change the dial for ,say , an Luminova dial .....a collector MAY have asked a watchmaker to remove all the faulty White painted letters so it didn't cause any potential damage to the watch dial /mvt and looked overall much neater .

The more cynical amongst us might also suggest that the writing under the six has been removed to try and pass the watch off as the arguably more covetable Pre -V two zero three A ?

All the above is just my humble opinion having gone through the murky tunnel of collecting Pre A's and V's about ten -fifteen years ago

I hope you get to the bottom of it to give you some peace of mind

Last edited by covactanks on August 29th, 2017, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuminorLovin
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 7:06 pm #5

Dial is from a 5218.

As the serial doesnt include the A, it is a PreA-A version. It COULD be that left over dials from the 5218 where used within the new model. Same applied to B Series T-Dials. However there's no way to proof it 100%.
Nt.

LuminorLovin
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 7:11 pm #6

It isn't a Pre-V dial, the typo is like Vendôme models (pre-V have a serif typo and a specific R), but none T-SWISS-T strange, fake dial?.
Is-it a ETA 6497-2 Pre-A movement with large "côtes de Genèves" and "Officine Panerai Firenze" Engraving?
Let us know.
Was that, this could be a 5218 dial.

I don't believe that this could be fake.

However, i'll update you, if there's more info on this.

LuminorLovin
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 7:23 pm #7

Firstly ......dial /caseback look okay to my eye ....with the obvious exception of the lack of the T HYPHEN T under the six ....but ......I have seen a few Pre-A's where the the white painted writing of the T HYPHEN T has literally started to de-bond and fall off and you could see bits of white paint floating around in the dial .......remember this was relatively early days for OP and mistakes happened .

Rather than let OP change the dial for ,say , an Luminova dial .....a collector MAY have asked a watchmaker to remove all the faulty White painted letters so it didn't cause any potential damage to the watch dial /mvt and looked overall much neater .

The more cynical amongst us might also suggest that the writing under the six has been removed to try and pass the watch off as the arguably more covetable Pre -V two zero three A ?

All the above is just my humble opinion having gone through the murky tunnel of collecting Pre A's and V's about ten -fifteen years ago

I hope you get to the bottom of it to give you some peace of mind

A real head scatcher indeed.

I can find no white particles on the dial.

As someone mentioned, this could very well be a 5218 dial.

I really hope i can find real answers to this puzzling piece.

Cheers mate.

covactanks
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 7:37 pm #8

If the watch has been opened up and the lettering has been completely removed and the dial cleaned

covactanks
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 7:44 pm #9

....... hard to tell looking from my iPhone ....... but , as someone else mentioned , the font looks to be later than pre v

Take a look at the 'R' in the word PANERAI on a pre v Luminor dial ..... then look at the 'R' on your Pre A

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be but it looks like your 'R' has a curved front leg

The Pre V fonts 'R' has a shorter front leg that is completely straight

Hope that makes sense

Last edited by covactanks on August 29th, 2017, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adman7
Paneristi
adman7
Paneristi

August 30th, 2017, 2:33 am #10

photos to add to Covac's context . .

Pre-V

Pre-A

covactanks
Paneristi

August 30th, 2017, 5:55 am #11

❗️❗️❗️❗️bOOM ❗️❗️❗️❗️

TOMMYX1
Paneristi
TOMMYX1
Paneristi

August 30th, 2017, 7:11 am #12

Pam 203 Pre V :

My 004 Pre A

Pre a movement

I hope to have been helpful if you need another ask as well

ChrisMeadsss
Paneristi

August 30th, 2017, 12:38 pm #13

Thanks!

akozlov
Paneristi
akozlov
Paneristi

August 30th, 2017, 4:19 pm #14

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers.
the font is not pre-V, take a closer look on attached pics. in my opinion "U" on pre-V is narrower that on this 4A. Franken?
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

RUpanerai
Paneristi

August 30th, 2017, 6:55 pm #15

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers.
Finding out details of the Pre A, Pre V etc was always so fascinating to me.

Thanks for all the info guys!

pakal
Paneristi
pakal
Paneristi

August 31st, 2017, 2:54 pm #16

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers.
... consistent with the serial number? Excluding the fact that is a pre-v dial (fonts are clearly not matching with pre-v ones), I am very reluctant to think that the t-swiss have fallen off, if not removed on purpose for whatever reason. Time to open the watch and expose the movement.

covactanks
Paneristi

August 31st, 2017, 7:40 pm #17

....where the T-Swiss -T started de - bonding and subsequently falling off in tiny pieces
Iv seen one or two others in a similar state to

pakal
Paneristi
pakal
Paneristi

August 31st, 2017, 8:22 pm #18

I absolutely believe you that it can de-bond. But I assume that a mark would be clearly visible where the those "caracters" used to be. This dial does not show the original presence of those letters. I don't buy that it's been cleaned. For me they were never there.
P_

covactanks
Paneristi

September 1st, 2017, 6:20 am #19

Which I would guess meant the paint used was not compatible with the substrate of the dial .... ergo .... there would not be much ( if any ) evidence of it being there in the first place
I don't see any other theory for that dial ?
It's not pre v
It's not a spaghetti 'A ' series dial

It's clearly a pre A dial to my eyes

I agree it would be a good idea to have the case back cracked open to corrolarte the numbers 👍

LuminorLovin
Paneristi

September 1st, 2017, 9:49 am #20

....... hard to tell looking from my iPhone ....... but , as someone else mentioned , the font looks to be later than pre v

Take a look at the 'R' in the word PANERAI on a pre v Luminor dial ..... then look at the 'R' on your Pre A

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be but it looks like your 'R' has a curved front leg

The Pre V fonts 'R' has a shorter front leg that is completely straight

Hope that makes sense

[/IMG]