GPF Mod-Dep

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

GPF Mod-Dep

adamoo
Paneristi
adamoo
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 5:40 am #1

Hi,

I have a few buckle questions..

First, I have the opportunity to buy 2 27mm GPF Mod-Dep buckles, the problem, they're attached to really large straps that are meant for guy with huge wrists, (I was told by the dealer they're leftovers from the 60mm panerai watch that came out a few years back).

Before I go and buy them, and cut up the leather, I was wondering are there cheaper ways to get the Mod-Dep authentic buckles, without having to cut them from big straps? And do they come in smaller sizes then 27mm?

My second question, I'm also looking for a PVD and non-PVD logo buckle that's either 22 or 24mm (prefer 22mm), do they make them currently, or have they ever made them in 22mm?? If they have, does anyone know where I can buy them?
I think they make a buckle now called MX, but I was looking for the earlier versions.

Best,
Adam

chippyjon
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 9:13 am #2

are new production run for the big Egiziano and you may be able to get one via one of the boutiques if you have a good relationship and are prepared to pay whatever is requested. The older Gpf buckles from compasses and depth guages and original Egiziano are very hard to come by and extremely costly, they dont come in 24mm or 22mm and its a mine field of original vs quality repro's out there so you need to know what you are buying if you go this route.

Re the logo Pvd 22mm buckles, there is a PreV Pvd 22mm buckle as found on the Pav 99, and again, you will rarely come across one that isn't sewn into the strap and you'll rarely come across the strap for sale, plus you'll be paying uber premium for 'em mate.... but they are the real deal and impossible to beat or replicate...

Good luck with your hunt Adam, hope this helps a little...

LAL

Cheers

South coast - UK

adamoo
Paneristi
adamoo
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 9:54 am #3

Hi,

Yes, that's what I was wondering. Ideally, I was hoping I could get my hands on a PAV99 (DLC logo buckle) and have Panerai sew it into a JV black 27/22 but I doubt that I'll be able to convince them to do so.

Then I wanted a JV tan 24/24 with a MX buckle sewn in... I see those a lot on the internet, but for some reason, Panerai is denying that they're authentic?!

Damn panerai, damn them!!

chippyjon
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 11:13 am #4

kluh

hkgweilo
Paneristi
hkgweilo
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 11:59 am #5

Hi,

First, I have the opportunity to buy 2 27mm GPF Mod-Dep buckles, the problem, they're attached to really large straps that are meant for guy with huge wrists, (I was told by the dealer they're leftovers from the 60mm panerai watch that came out a few years back).

Before I go and buy them, and cut up the leather, I was wondering are there cheaper ways to get the Mod-Dep authentic buckles, without having to cut them from big straps? And do they come in smaller sizes then 27mm?

My second question, I'm also looking for a PVD and non-PVD logo buckle that's either 22 or 24mm (prefer 22mm), do they make them currently, or have they ever made them in 22mm?? If they have, does anyone know where I can buy them?
I think they make a buckle now called MX, but I was looking for the earlier versions.

Best,
Adam

the true vintage ones are hard to find and you need to know what you're looking at.

there are current OEM models as that came on the 341. again, you need to make sure of what you're looking at.

I may be wrong, but I do not think panerai sells the buckle individually...only as part of the 341 strap.

adamoo
Paneristi
adamoo
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 1:45 pm #6

Hmm... I have an idea, does anyone know the answer...

If I ordered a replacement strap for "my" PAM341 in a smaller wrist size 115/75 then it may be worth while because at least that way I can use the strap till it fails, and I'll have the Mod-dep buckle for use afterwards.

Does panerai still sell replacement 341 straps, and can you get them in that standard size mentioned above?
Also, do they offer any other colors as far as straps go?

Lastly, I think getting an MX buckle would be the same as the PAV99 buckles right? Are they the same? If so, I could just get a MX strap/buckle and PVD it myself??
At least I'll know they're OEM and not replicas.

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 2:18 pm #7

Hi,

Yes, that's what I was wondering. Ideally, I was hoping I could get my hands on a PAV99 (DLC logo buckle) and have Panerai sew it into a JV black 27/22 but I doubt that I'll be able to convince them to do so.

Then I wanted a JV tan 24/24 with a MX buckle sewn in... I see those a lot on the internet, but for some reason, Panerai is denying that they're authentic?!

Damn panerai, damn them!!
Panerai may be referring to the ones that remain from the Dirk strap run. Panerai requested that line stop per some patent infringement. Those buckles were authentic, coming from literally buckets of discards.

adamoo
Paneristi
adamoo
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 2:31 pm #8

Hi,

I don't quite follow what you're trying to tell me. Could you please explain a bit more about this, and perhaps include photos :D

Best,
Adam

Cr4ig
Paneristi
Cr4ig
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 3:40 pm #9

Hi,

Best,
Adam

Just lift up the glued area, if possible, and then give it to someone that can use it.

-Craig F

chippyjon
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 3:43 pm #10

Hmm... I have an idea, does anyone know the answer...

If I ordered a replacement strap for "my" PAM341 in a smaller wrist size 115/75 then it may be worth while because at least that way I can use the strap till it fails, and I'll have the Mod-dep buckle for use afterwards.

Does panerai still sell replacement 341 straps, and can you get them in that standard size mentioned above?
Also, do they offer any other colors as far as straps go?

Lastly, I think getting an MX buckle would be the same as the PAV99 buckles right? Are they the same? If so, I could just get a MX strap/buckle and PVD it myself??
At least I'll know they're OEM and not replicas.
But they are a little thinner and engraving differs slightly, but a good option for Pvd if you keep it pencil lead finish imho the best look. The MX buckles only come in 24mm as far as I know and as with the OEM 341 Gpf buckle you will need to beg hard to possibly get the buckles sold to you via the boutique/s separately....but got to be worth a try matey! Good luck !!

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 4:34 pm #11

Hi,

I don't quite follow what you're trying to tell me. Could you please explain a bit more about this, and perhaps include photos :D

Best,
Adam
http://www.paneristi.com/straps/dirk/index.html

He explains elsewhere that the buckles gave Panerai problems since he was incorporating OEM Panerai buckles into his straps. Of course, those buckles were disposed of by Panerai which is how he got them to begin with, but minor detail, right?

adamoo
Paneristi
adamoo
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 5:28 pm #12

Wish he still had them :( (nt)

adamoo
Paneristi
adamoo
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 5:30 pm #13

But they are a little thinner and engraving differs slightly, but a good option for Pvd if you keep it pencil lead finish imho the best look. The MX buckles only come in 24mm as far as I know and as with the OEM 341 Gpf buckle you will need to beg hard to possibly get the buckles sold to you via the boutique/s separately....but got to be worth a try matey! Good luck !!
It's ridiculous but the boutique here won't even allow me to order the following custom straps:

JV black 27/22 115/75

JV tan 24/24 115/75 with a MX buckle sewn in.

So I doubt I'll get them to sell me a Mod-dep or MX buckle separately.

adamoo
Paneristi
adamoo
Paneristi

May 14th, 2012, 5:31 pm #14

Just lift up the glued area, if possible, and then give it to someone that can use it.

-Craig F
That or since the straps are so big, maybe cut them and restitch them smaller, so they can be used. Leathers pretty nice, but I like burnished edges, so it would be a process to redo the leather.

adamoo
Paneristi
adamoo
Paneristi

May 17th, 2012, 1:35 pm #15

Cannot get the sizing I want. I need 27/24, but only 24/24 are offered to me