GOLD HANDS TARNISHING.......

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

GOLD HANDS TARNISHING.......

BIGPOCKETS
Paneristi
BIGPOCKETS
Paneristi

September 2nd, 2017, 7:18 am #1

Hi there,
Love the forum & feedback & recommendations etc.,.

I've noticed that the GOLDEN hands of my 422 have begun to tarnish over time.
They've turned a darker shade of gold towards the centre of the hours & minutes, also the seconds hand is almost completely that darker golden colour.
Has anyone else noticed this on their 372, 422, 423, 424, 425 etc...the big 47mm Panerai with the ecru lume & golden hands?....

Normally that type of discolouration happens when there's water damage on gold (I believe these hands are gold plated), but it's an impossibility, as I've never even taken it into a swimming pool.

Any one notice this with their PAMs?...

Thanks in advance.

BP

rapers
Paneristi
rapers
Paneristi

September 2nd, 2017, 1:03 pm #2

nt

FLS2K
Paneristi
FLS2K
Paneristi

September 2nd, 2017, 2:33 pm #3

Hi there,

They've turned a darker shade of gold towards the centre of the hours & minutes, also the seconds hand is almost completely that darker golden colour.
Has anyone else noticed this on their 372, 422, 423, 424, 425 etc...the big 47mm Panerai with the ecru lume & golden hands?....

Normally that type of discolouration happens when there's water damage on gold (I believe these hands are gold plated), but it's an impossibility, as I've never even taken it into a swimming pool.

Thanks in advance.

BP
To answer your question though, no, I have not seen this happen. Also, the hands are not gold but, I believe, brass. Finally, you could have moisture intrusion without submersion.
FLS2K is Beef
Beef is FLS2K

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

September 3rd, 2017, 12:41 pm #4

To me, this is the probable answer. Can't understand how else they would discolor.

BIGPOCKETS
Paneristi
BIGPOCKETS
Paneristi

September 5th, 2017, 1:54 am #5

Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

BP
Have a look at -it's tricky but I think I captured the effect....
Any thoughts?
It's not affecting the time at all & still winds as smooth - I've asked & PASC don't just replace the hands, but do a full service for $1K...no thanks!

ThunderDownUnder
Paneristi

September 5th, 2017, 3:55 am #6

To me, this is the probable answer. Can't understand how else they would discolor.
Mate you don't need to get the watch wet to have water ingress ?

Humidity will find an aperture or opening 1/100 of a fish fart 💨

I would take the watch to a good watch maker and have him run a dry test to assure that there is zero leak down ?

Lmk after you do this pls big fella ?
Ohhhh So Much MORE than just a Watch 🤩 it’s the mates behind the Watch & the “Mateships” we create that simply Blows me “Away” ❤️

Cheers Beers & Hoo Roo Hammer 🔨 🇦🇺♿️👍🏻

aa909
Paneristi
aa909
Paneristi

September 12th, 2017, 11:14 pm #7

Have a look at -it's tricky but I think I captured the effect....
Any thoughts?
It's not affecting the time at all & still winds as smooth - I've asked & PASC don't just replace the hands, but do a full service for $1K...no thanks!

I've had a 368 now for several years and the gold hands look the same as they did on day one. Those hands have definitely started to tarnish.

Sandyz
Paneristi
Sandyz
Paneristi

September 23rd, 2017, 7:19 am #8

Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

BP
A manufacturing defect to me, is the watch under warranty