Frustration

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Frustration

isotherm1
New User
isotherm1
New User

April 24th, 2012, 8:56 pm #1

Hello All

First time posting here although coming to this wonderful site almost daily basis since 2007.I've had Pam 177 since 2007 and I've been in love with brand ever since. However, I've been somewhat frustrated lately by the fact that although I've been on the waiting list for 417, then 390 since the announcement, I never got a call from the Boutique whereas I do see someone got so lucky enough receiving both models. To make it worse,I do see many flippers selling their BNIB 390 or 417 in the CM section for quick profits. I have no problem of people selling what they have, but these models do carry long waiting lists and I feel like I've been cheated. I've made several calls to NY Boutique to try to find out if I would be the lucky one, but only response was "These are the limited version and blahblahblah..." and sometimes they asked me to leave my name and number so that someone would return to me later, but not a single call ever recieved.
So Now, I reach the point where I'm asking myself - Is this brand so worth or important for me to beg a merchant (Panerai) to sell me their piece at a full retail? It's like one-way love story where you are in love with someone but the another party don't give a S***about you. Am I the only one feel this way?

yuryk
Paneristi
yuryk
Paneristi

April 24th, 2012, 9:02 pm #2

Welcome to the club! Really, you should try venturing outside of NY boutique and you may have more luck in getting what you want.

Cr4ig
Paneristi
Cr4ig
Paneristi

April 24th, 2012, 9:40 pm #3

Hello All

First time posting here although coming to this wonderful site almost daily basis since 2007.I've had Pam 177 since 2007 and I've been in love with brand ever since. However, I've been somewhat frustrated lately by the fact that although I've been on the waiting list for 417, then 390 since the announcement, I never got a call from the Boutique whereas I do see someone got so lucky enough receiving both models. To make it worse,I do see many flippers selling their BNIB 390 or 417 in the CM section for quick profits. I have no problem of people selling what they have, but these models do carry long waiting lists and I feel like I've been cheated. I've made several calls to NY Boutique to try to find out if I would be the lucky one, but only response was "These are the limited version and blahblahblah..." and sometimes they asked me to leave my name and number so that someone would return to me later, but not a single call ever recieved.
So Now, I reach the point where I'm asking myself - Is this brand so worth or important for me to beg a merchant (Panerai) to sell me their piece at a full retail? It's like one-way love story where you are in love with someone but the another party don't give a S***about you. Am I the only one feel this way?

...and you are sure not the first to post this frustration.

I have no answer, but consider one thing. The brand is about money. If you managed a boutique, who would you sell the best watches to? You would take care of your best customers, right? Now enters the mystery of the list. This list is truly a mystery, but imagine again you are that boutique manager. You have 300 people on a "list". Who are you going to sell to? No one will see the list. No one really knows where they are on the list?

I have experienced the mystery of the list personally for good and bad. I know people that were put on a list within minutes of me that have gotten a special piece that I did not get.

I try not to think about this much, as I also try not to think about the SciFi movies I watch or the fact that we may be hit by a meteor any minute.

Anyway, for me, this is the answer...

I will continue to enjoy the watches I have and this forum. I will occasionally put my name on a list. As with my lottery playing I will not expect anything, because when you expect, you will surely be disappointed.

Now I'll reveal the real secret...
Buy lots of watches or know the right people.

-Craig F

coloristi
Paneristi
coloristi
Paneristi

April 24th, 2012, 10:04 pm #4

Hello All

I certainly understand your frustration. This has been brought up many times here.

I hope this doesn't turn into a thread of picking on particular boutiques though. My experience with NYC, in particular Alexander and Sharif, has always been incredibly professional and responsive.

Cheers,

FastSRT8
Paneristi
FastSRT8
Paneristi

April 24th, 2012, 10:45 pm #5

Hello All

MONEY

Plain and simple. The world and business revolves around it.

IF and I am by no means supporting this, you have means to pay the retailer a premium and then some for a particular watch, they will sell it to you (list or no list).

Let't not fool ourselves. A boutique is a business and like all business, there is no loyalty only profits. I like what the previous poster said, no one sees the list so who is to say the 'lucky' guy who walks away with the watch was even next on that list. Hell, in many cases you won't even know what the guy paid for it.

How do you think all these so called vendor's get their watches to flip? They know someone and pay either a kickback to them to get it. Someone is making a bit extra to get the watch that you or I would want.

The only way to beat this system is to play the game. Do you have an exclsive credit card like the Amex Centurion card? I know if I were to call them and say I WANT a particular model, I will almost certainly get it. What I pay I can't say but I will have it.

Just think outside the box on how to get the said watch. You will get it

Good Luck

pamhunter
Paneristi
pamhunter
Paneristi

April 24th, 2012, 11:59 pm #6

Hello All

how in do you feel, but its just depend on the country, some countries like middle east dont have much pams fans

so could find alot, i have passed and seen more than 390 in middle east

but all sold out and the were not on waiting list

wish u luck to get one

isotherm1
New User
isotherm1
New User

April 25th, 2012, 12:11 am #7

Hello All

Glad to hear that some of you share the same sentiment. I do understand it is all about money and business for the brand and frankly speaking,I don't see any problems with that. However, I hope Panerai realizes that there are pleople out there (like myself and few others) who support this brand with passion although they cannot afford to buy multiple panerai models a year - BTW, God bless you if you can:). I may have no chance at all with Pam 390 or 417 at this time, but hopely in one day, I get a call to get something like Pam 360 with gold-hands. Cheers!!

ERSanchez
Paneristi

April 25th, 2012, 12:25 am #8

Hello All

All I can say is it's not worth getting your feathers ruffled too bad....there are no guarantees in life, and there's definitely no guarantee in getting a watch you've so patiently waiting for. Hey, don 't feel too bad....at least you didn't lose thousands selling a watch to fund another that never happened! LOL!!

Cheers and Never Give Up!!

Eddie "Sharkman" Sanchez

"It's all about the patina, Baby!"

P U R A V I D A !

The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more ~ fortune cookie

LUCCHAO
Paneristi
LUCCHAO
Paneristi

April 25th, 2012, 12:57 am #9

Hello All

List is not the one you call it "first to come, first to get", it's just a bunch of names of people interested on buying.

Then, this "list" would be sorted out using an special rule - don't ask me what rule is, I just guess. Smaller either the boutique's prospects number or interest on particular SE, better the list approaches to a fair one.

when you were free of thinking about that "list" , you'd feel much better .

best

saisaiba
Paneristi
saisaiba
Paneristi

April 25th, 2012, 2:45 am #10

Hello All

We often see people getting SE from the boutiques, but what we saw were just the rewarding side, but how they had contributed to the boutique...it's seldom talked about. And being a VIP is not as easy as you think. I definitely am not a VIP and often feel the frustration you mentioned, but I have also met some VIPs in my path of collecting PAMs that they can get all the SEs, sometimes even multiple pieces of the hard-to-get models.

Truth is, one day they got a call for 390 /417 and the other day they also got a call and were asked if they were interested in a 341 or a even tourbillon model at list price. Saying no? May need to think twice about it.

I don't have a pocket deep enough nor the time/resources to maintain a VIP status, but I know it doesn't come easy or is a matter of luck. Take it easy.

FastSRT8
Paneristi
FastSRT8
Paneristi

April 25th, 2012, 3:39 am #11

The high end ones will get ANY watch for you. They have connections you most likely won't have. Why do all the work when one call will do it.

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

April 25th, 2012, 6:30 pm #12

Hello All

It's a possession. It's certainly nothing worth getting on your knees for. Let these boutique managers play little big man with someone they can get over on. Also have to agree with venturing out of NY. Many of the people there take on the feel of the city, which is generally not savory.

isotherm1
New User
isotherm1
New User

April 25th, 2012, 8:11 pm #13

Hello All

As someone said, that's how it is and life just goes on. No hard feelings at all. Once again, I thank you all your contributions and advises. This's the reason why I love this community and can't abandon the brand:) Cheers All!!

ZiggyR
Paneristi
ZiggyR
Paneristi

April 26th, 2012, 7:55 am #14

Hello All

I know (well, guess actually) that Panerai keeps supply below demand to help make it such a cult brand. But the London Boutique in Harrods never has any Radiomirs in when I browse, and not many Luminors either. They have a waiting list for standard models (they told me a couple of weeks ago that the next stock is due in August).

On the positive side, gives me plenty of time to save my cash and stops me making an impulse purchase which would annoy the wife!