First Panerai: 111 or 312?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

First Panerai: 111 or 312?

BG-Nole
Paneristi
BG-Nole
Paneristi

June 26th, 2012, 9:23 pm #1

This will be my first Panerai and I have been going back and forth for the last few weeks. With price not being an issue which do you prefer and why?

After "deciding" on the 111 I am now leaning towards the 312. I really like the 1950's case and the strap changing mechanism is a major plus. What worries me about the 312 is the case thickness and the many complaints of how it sits on the wrist.

I have not tried on a 312, but had a chance to try on the 328 (312 with metal bracelet) and 233. I did not like the way the 328 looked on my wrist, but I am thinking it was the metal bracelet that added the unwanted bulk. The 233 fit me perfectly, but will have to wait for my next trade up .

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

BG-Nole
Paneristi
BG-Nole
Paneristi

June 26th, 2012, 9:25 pm #2

If anyone has a pic of a 312 on a 6.5" or smaller wrist I would love to see it, thanks!

kirby_iv
Paneristi
kirby_iv
Paneristi

June 26th, 2012, 9:31 pm #3

This will be my first Panerai and I have been going back and forth for the last few weeks. With price not being an issue which do you prefer and why?

After "deciding" on the 111 I am now leaning towards the 312. I really like the 1950's case and the strap changing mechanism is a major plus. What worries me about the 312 is the case thickness and the many complaints of how it sits on the wrist.

I have not tried on a 312, but had a chance to try on the 328 (312 with metal bracelet) and 233. I did not like the way the 328 looked on my wrist, but I am thinking it was the metal bracelet that added the unwanted bulk. The 233 fit me perfectly, but will have to wait for my next trade up .

Based on what you wrote, that is what you need. IT is by far the most comfortable 1950 case available and way superior to both the 111 & 312. I also like the dial better, I am not a fan of the 9 and the seconds hand next to each other....should be one or the other IMO. Save for a used 233 and you wont regret it.

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

June 26th, 2012, 9:35 pm #4

a 47mm watch on a 6.5" wrist. It would look disproportionate IMO. You can only do what you feel you must but I think sometimes the "big watch" thing gets a little out of control. There's a marked difference between making a statement and making a joke.

BG-Nole
Paneristi
BG-Nole
Paneristi

June 26th, 2012, 9:38 pm #5

The 312 and 111 are 44mm not 47.

I say 6.5" more like 6.7" and I am actually a big guy (6'4" very athletic build) just small wrists.

abunai
Paneristi
abunai
Paneristi

June 26th, 2012, 10:42 pm #6

I'd go with the 1950 case over the 111 anyday, but that's just personal preference. Both dials are nice and cant say one is nicer over the other. Does having a date matter to you? I see my first Panerai having a seconds and date. From there, you can pick up a base, rad, etc.

Not sure what complaints you heard of regarding the 312 not sitting right. Being 6'4", any 44mm or 47mm would look fine IMO. I'm 6'1" with 6.5" wrists and am totally okay with wearing a 372. Your athletic build would make up for the small wrists.

My $.02

khiroshima
Paneristi
khiroshima
Paneristi

June 26th, 2012, 11:00 pm #7

I have a 005 and I tried to like the 312 . . . I couldn't do it. I love the dial, the date and the cg, but I couldn't get used to the 1950s case "height". If you look at the caseback, the 1950s case is domed, the 111 is flat, IMO it makes a difference. I would recommend that you wear it for as long as you can, I wore one for two weeks and couldn't get used to it, but LOTS of people love it . . . I do too, but I've determined that I'm a Luminor guy-- Good luck! KH

pp5120
Paneristi
pp5120
Paneristi

June 26th, 2012, 11:15 pm #8

rybst
Paneristi
rybst
Paneristi

June 27th, 2012, 12:09 am #9

I have the three pams listed above.
312 wears tall and has a presence about it. In house movement, date, auto etc.
Then i got the 000 - base pam. Love it. wears shorter but size is good. Not too big, not too small.
then came the 372 - LOVE it, hits all the right notes. 47mm is good for me. i can carry a 47mm. if you have small wrist, i would stay away, it looks odd, the watch being bigger than your wrist, but then again, a lot of asian ristis are like that and they are happy with it.
Wear it with confidence and screw what the world thinks. IMHO.

mrpanerai
Paneristi

June 27th, 2012, 12:46 am #10

It was my first. Its historic and manual wind.

Joseph56
Paneristi
Joseph56
Paneristi

June 27th, 2012, 2:23 am #11

I have both. The 312 is my favorite Panerai that I own. Yet it does sit big on the wrist. I find after 3 days or so it starts feeling clunky. The 312 is really a sweet looking watch. The 111 wears much more comfy to me, and can be dressed up or down easily. 312 is more elegant and not as much of a tool watch. I am happy to have both, not sure if I could only have one, which I would pick.

Just living the dream waiting for the next PAM

johannsmit
Paneristi
johannsmit
Paneristi

June 27th, 2012, 2:36 am #12

I had the same dilemma and I wanted to go for the 111 since it is manual-wind and historic and I like the engraved movement the older ones had. I put the 312 on my wrist and I loved it. It made me smile more than the 111. Simple as that. Later I bought a 111 and sold it. Same with the 233 and a few others. The 312 will always be my first Panerai and I hope that I never have to sell it. It wears a little higher than the 111 but to me it is very comfortable. If you are going to wear it as a daily watch, the quick-change strap system will make your life soooo much easier (if you like changing straps) and the date is useful. It is my daily wearer and I love it!
Good luck with your decision; they are both great watches so you can't really go wrong.

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

June 27th, 2012, 2:56 am #13

The 312 and 111 are 44mm not 47.

I say 6.5" more like 6.7" and I am actually a big guy (6'4" very athletic build) just small wrists.
He mentioned his wrist size, so it seemed to me that although it wasn't mentioned, 47mm options were being considered. Just putting in my two cents on the state of watches on small wrists. There's a difference between fashion and style that sometimes gets blurred.

TokyoSkier
Paneristi

June 27th, 2012, 9:12 am #14

I have the 320 (the "cousin") and with my 7.5 inch wrist, I am often chastised that it is too small. Tokyo Ristis are tough!!

Anyway, it will sit high, but to me more importantly it is not a light watch. Some may be turned off by that, but I like the wrist presence TBH. I also love the quick change system for the straps! I think it looks very dressy on the OEM croc and then the next day "grungy" on an ammo - love that versatility!

My two yen,

E

PS My only thing with the 111 is the manual aspect. If it were an 8-day reserve, like a 190, I would say go for it! But I don't think I would care to be winding my 111 on a day to day basis.

em227
Paneristi
em227
Paneristi

June 27th, 2012, 11:11 am #15

.. the GMT and power reserve on the movement side just step it that much further over the line for me, if you're leaning toward the 312, then how about taking the extra step to the 320?

Good luck with whatever it is you choose, once you get it you'll love it!

Emmanuel